Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is most important for depth?

Comments

• JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited March 2018
    What an interesting poll! I haven't voted yet because I'm torn between consequences and personality. Right now, the way I differentiate my sims is with skill levels. I will give it up to the team that there are a ton of more skills to master in this game than in previous iterations.

If I needed to vote, I'd lean more towards consequences rather than personality, but both are sorely needed right now. I loved in S3 when sims sat down to a meal, they would do a little excited clap because it was their favourite. I want things, as others have said, to create uniqueness among the sims in terms of personality. Right now, with the exception of a few personality traits, they all react the same way to environmental stimulus.

But with all that being said, I so desperately want my actions in game to mean something. And I completely get why the sims gurus have always given an out to avoid consequences, but to be honest sometimes I wish they wouldn't. I want there to be real, unforeseen, consequences in my game that I can't avoid. And I know that others would say the opposite, that they want complete control over their game, and I get that to a certain extent, but I don't fully understand how enjoyable that is.

In previous games, there were unexpected surprises when it came to making moves in the game. And that's what I want. I don't want to control everything, because where is the fun in that? Where is the fun in knowing how it's going to play out? For example, in my S3 legacy game, if I want to take my family to the beach on a sunny day in the summer, and then it rains, that changes my plans. I would never want to control the weather because it adds an element of surprise and impacts my decisions in my game play.

And think of the replayability if personalities were combined with consequences! You would actually want to take more trips to Salvadorada if you knew sims with different personalities actually reacted differently to their environment. And I know consequences can mean many things, but to me, that is what I interpret it as.
  • babybunnymeisbabybunnymeis Posts: 78 Member
    Simple: ALL OF THEM!!
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Difficult because I think that every single one of those things listed could and should have been done to a higher standard in 4. Ultimately, I selected personality because I think it's what the game in general needs. I find the older games so much more charming and immersive, everything about 4 just ends up feeling superficial to me. If the game was a smidge more quirky and each sim actually felt different to play as, that would go a long way to making me like it a whole lot more. Personality can and does factor into memories in 2 for example, when a romance sim starts committing in a relationship, they get a negative memory as a result. Things like that make a huge overall difference for my play style and general immersion personally.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited March 2018
    Personally I would love to have more open ended gameplay additions. Thing's such as retail and clubs. Thing's that really have endless possibilities is what I would view as depth :)
    In other words, replayability.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    i voted for consequences since i think it would really make it more challenging and the choices your sim makes will have an impact on their future. But tbh i think all of this should be added to make each sim different from the other and make the game have more depth. In the ts4 trailers they said smarter sims but i don't really feel like they are since they don't really react to what happens around them or act on the traits they. Have plus their emotions flipflop every second wich is really annoying to me. If they would implement all of this the game would be so much better than it is now imo
  • UzumakiBrandonUzumakiBrandon Posts: 20 Member
    I really wanna see more of the Elderly stage.Hope that add more features on what they can do!
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I like all of the options that's why I picked "other".

Although I especially liked the idea of consequences for actions and fleshing out the life stages. We already got a little of that in parenthood seeing as now your actions as a toddler child and teenagers affect your scoring towards certain traits, and also the role of parent and grandparent seems to have been fleshed out a little bit.

But I think a little more could be done. I liked how in sims 2 there was the wants and fears system, the way I see it the whims we have now are basically the same thing as the wants system, but it would be good if we had that fears system back.

As for the grades, yes school performance affecting a sims life after school is a good idea. However that system itself would need to be fleshed out a little too. I personally didn't do great in school, the academic side of education has always been a little hard for me and I found it hard to find work. But I learned new skills that helped me find work easier and made me able to perform well in my job.

So perhaps sims who don't do well in school can eventually find their way to success if they build certain skills or take short courses, which would go nicely with an education themed EP!
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'd say all but adding more depth to personalities and relationships would definitely add much needed depth to the game. I miss having turn on/turn offs, favorite food and music, etc. Bring those back would help in uniqueness.
    Post edited by aprilrose on
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• babytesbabytes Posts: 100 Member
    A little bit of each would be good
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    All of them are crucial.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2019
    Reputation was added to Get Famous, so that's awesome! I like that it isn't just romantic, but society-based. It adds depth when other sims have a sense of perception of other sims. Maybe this system can be expanded upon and integrated into other systems in upcoming packs.
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I chose fleshing out each stage, but all of these are important, however I made my choice because I feel like babies, teens and elders have really been forgotten here. Babies are tied to a cot, and teens are mini adults with no hormonal mood swings, crushes (only relationships), no auto acne an no major school events (even if they're rabbit holes), and elders are just white haired adults who have a time limit! adding even jsut new hobbies, and optional removing baby from the cot and even changing their clothes would be great. BUT, i also want more fleshed out personality, and I think a trait overhaul to work more like TS3 would go well, with more traits to choose, zodiac signs and turn on/offs. I also want long life issues, like mentioned, being cheated on causing trust issues in the future, being fired making it harder to get hired/promoted, failing in school cauing self esteem issues... SO much could be added, but for now, I'm happy with the game, but of course, stuff can always be added/fixed.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    For me it's details. Object interaction details. Connecting the sims world to hobbies and other items. I guess this would be considered depth of play rather than depth of character.

I wish all food sims made looked more like the actual preparation of those foods like in sims 2. I wish nothing just instantly appeared or was instantly accomplished out of thin air, like changing clothes, acquiring medicine and other items, flowers on the floral arranging table shouldn't just be there, food is always there, nothing is ever in my mailbox, cant look out my own windows anymore, there's just a disconnection between the sims and their world that leaves me also feeling disconnected.
  • ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    Personality for me. Every sim seems the same as the other. Even mean sims don't act to different then regular sims. Personality means so little. I've tried to make very bad sims but they all act the same. Even little things like favorites can add personality. I am hesitant to say to give them a happy moodlet for their favorites because sims are way to happy but that could be a way to do it along with changing the moodlet system. I have had so many sims die at their birthday parties because they were to happy and someone told them a joke so they died of hysteria... Also when family members die, they are still happy. Because of the large amount of ways to be happy, it also takes away from personality too. Like gloomy, hotheaded, or jealous sims might not even ever have those emotions on top because they are just to happy.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    other none of the above since everything is fine as they are in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited February 2019
    The personalities of our sims. We need personalities as in depth as TS2. Details too. And other packs should consider the previous one (#Geekcon when it's raining...) And we can lend money with the charisma skill but I'm just if we don't give this money back sims won't even be mad at our sims. That's stuff like that, that make a big difference, there's no need to have an extra sized telescop.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • I went with the past events thing. It would play into my views on a Phobia system.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I loved having a compatibility option with things like personalities, turn ons/turn offs, zodiac sign, etc. I think that would be so much fun to implement if they're even able to at this point. Like... maybe they could add them as they did for celebrity quirks, but we could choose them in CAS. They aren't necessarily traits, but just little things that are part of our Sims personality that add a little more depth to their story. Almost like in the Sims Medieval, when you chose your traits you also had to choose a "fatal flaw." It just added another sprinkle of personality. Or maybe they are more similar to celebrity quirks in that you do just develop them overtime! That would also be interesting... Just spitballing here and really haven't thought any of this through lol, don't @ me if it's a terrible idea o:)
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    All of the above.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Simply cannot choose.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I picked other because I want all of the options LOL
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Not strangerville.
  • theusertheuser Posts: 3 New Member
    All of the above.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Now I would say better personalities.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Flesh out each life stage. Babies need to be upgraded so that they can be moved around and customized in CAS, toddlers, kids, teens, and elders need more unique gameplay.