Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I know folks are disappointed with the # of lots in DSV, but I really like this world.

The details in the areas that surround the lots in Mirage Park and Starlight Boulevard are so much more interesting than in any of the other worlds. I feel like these are real places. I like that I can walk through the alley in Mirage Park and over to the underpass where the homeless Sims live in tents. And the views from The Pinnacles are really detailed. It makes going back to my Sims in Willow Creek seem sort of dull. CL living almost gives this sense of place, but DSV really achieves it.

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Do those tents have Sims living in them? Or 'agents' like the background FX Sims in CL? Didn't know that world had homeless tents. I like immersion, but I might need real Sims living in those homeless tents to make me believe it. Views are great, I agree, however, sometimes, I want to go where routing isn't allowed, that's why I want a CAW tool or Neighborhood Edit tool. And the freedom to tear down predesigned Maxis lots where we can't edit them. I might think a lot that can't be edited by the player (without cheats etc.) cramps my imagination. I don't like players being limited to a developer's vision. I don't know how to say this in any nice way. But the game is supposed to be for players who spend money to use these packs, neighborhoods etc. So, if they are limited by developer design, and because of the engine or whatever (can't have too many usuable lots etc.) then it becomes the developer's game instead of the player's game.

If I have to play without being to tear down a non editiable lot, it's the developer's vision and not mine. If I have to play where I can't move a lot to another spot because routing isn't allowed, or can't add more lots to an area, for performance reasons or whatever, it becomes the developer's game and not my own vision.

World builders at Maxis are great, but it's their world and not mine....therefore, without being able to edit anything or add or subtract anything, then over time, that immersion wears off, and I don't want to buy more worlds from them where I play their vision instead of mine.

It's more their vision and let them play it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Didn't know that world had homeless tents. I like immersion, but I might need real Sims living in those homeless tents to make me believe it.

World builders at Maxis are great, but it's their world and not mine....therefore, without being able to edit anything or add or subtract anything, then over time, that immersion wears off, and I don't want to buy more worlds from them where I play their vision instead of mine.

I totally agree with this! Myself, I don't need a world tool but it would be nice to be able to change or add things to the neighborhood...even a garbage can! In a way I think the backdrops and especially the houses are more distracting than good. To me it limits what type of house I can build because it looks out of place. Maybe they would be okay in a distance, but next door?

I also wonder about the hidden worlds in the base game. Does anybody play them? It was fun to explore them once but then what? I know they have a build-able lot and I would probably use them more if they let me change the "world light", especially the pink light.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Lots aside as that's really the only nitpick I seen in it I really like the urban area and feel of the place especially with the cul desac. San Myshuno has a more cleaner look to it compared to DSV, which definitely gives the latter more personality. I'd like to see more worlds like that really.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    I enjoy the deco, but given that it's all non functional set dressing that ultimately does nothing but sit there it comes last. With such nice environment I'd have hoped for at least 15 lots.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    mannanna wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Didn't know that world had homeless tents. I like immersion, but I might need real Sims living in those homeless tents to make me believe it.

I totally agree with this! Myself, I don't need a world tool but it would be nice to be able to change or add things to the neighborhood...even a garbage can! In a way I think the backdrops and especially the houses are more distracting than good. To me it limits what type of house I can build because it looks out of place. Maybe they would be okay in a distance, but next door?

I also wonder about the hidden worlds in the base game. Does anybody play them? It was fun to explore them once but then what? I know they have a build-able lot and I would probably use them more if they let me change the "world light", especially the pink light.

As I agree too being the creavity for me is lessened and it is enough to make pause. They can add as many packs as they want but for me they have the same effect as well restricted in what I can really do. The neighborhoods are 25% non art and 75% art in which as stated uneditable and I do not find packs do not give me the WOW effect.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    edited February 2019
    I know that many folks don't like the lack of world editing and CAW in TS4. For myself, I've always been a passive admirer of worlds. I think I once placed a lot in Lucky Palms.

BUT, some of my grandkid were deeply involved in world creation and have been deeply disappointed in TS4 as a result. They make their own case. Here and elsewhere.

For myself I'm more lemons to lemonade. I'm still working on Starlight Boulevard, but I'm happy, for the moment, with how Mirage Park is going:

DxCmOqcUwAAsrhi.jpg

DxExNB_V4AEUHnV.jpg

Mirage Park is home to teenager Hank the Hacker whose father is on the lam after stealing a top-secret money tree seed from the Science Lab. His mother ran off with Pollinator 3.

DwuDppNVYAE2xwb.jpg

And.... As I do in real life, I do like to quietly enjoy the views.

DxufcEvXgAAGXny.jpg

Peace.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    I know that many folks don't like the lack of world editing and CAW in TS4. For myself, I've always been a passive admirer of worlds. I think I once placed a lot in Lucky Palms.

BUT, some of my grandkid were deeply involved in world creation and have been deeply disappointed in TS4 as a result. They make their own case. Here and elsewhere.

For myself I'm more lemons to lemonade. I'm still working on Starlight Boulevard, but I'm happy, for the moment, with how Mirage Park is going:

DxCmOqcUwAAsrhi.jpg

DxExNB_V4AEUHnV.jpg

Mirage Park is home to teenager Hank the Hacker whose father is on the lam after stealing a top-secret money tree seed from the Science Lab. His mother ran off with Pollinator 3.

DwuDppNVYAE2xwb.jpg

DxufcEvXgAAGXny.jpg

Peace.

That is a lovely view. But see it makes me itchy. It makes me want to go down there, hear the hustle and bustle of a busy city. Sirens, horns honking, traffic, people outside yelling stuff, maybe a vendor yelling out come buy his goods, etc. etc. I used to play a game called City Life 2008, and the immersion when inside a busy section of a city was very convincing. Backdrops don't cut for me. You know, like seeing an ambulance pull up (Literally) and picking up someone who had fainted (the have nots didn't have enough food) putting them on a strecher and speeding away. Sirens blasting, lots and lots of characters walking passing by, on the sidewalks like in New York City, crowded and hard to get through those city streets. The Elites were walking around in their fancier areas, walking their dogs, in their expensive outfits, noses held high, etc. etc. Blue collar workers in hard hats and or work clothes were passing on their way to a factory. You know immersion. Backdrops can be very lovely, but it doesn't work for me. I might be odd person out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    @Cinebar No, I don't think you're an odd person out. I'm hoping you - and my grandkids - get more of what you want in TS5. Certainly you should keep advocating for it.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The only reason why I like Del Smol Valley is because the large lots give more space to build large 1 story houses which I saw a lot of builders doing when the game first came out. It's certainly a pretty world, especially The Pinnacles, though more lots would have been nice to have.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Peace.

Same here. :)

Love your Mirage Park. I haven't started renovating that section yet but I have finished The Pinnacles.

asJfxwn.png

My old hollywood stars, Audrey, Elizabeth, Grace, and Marilyn live in the house to the left.

8tQQQi9.png

TYXWiWO.png

The royal family lives in the middle mansion.

pY1ErKh.png

uGfgGCH.png

And Halle, Jeff, Kathy, Johnny, and Cate live in the house on the right.

zETmBrs.png

7POZ7Z0.png

I won't be playing these sims but my sim has visited and the views from that section of town are amazing.

• Options
    nightowl1nightowl1 Posts: 89 Member
    @Cinebar I absolutely agree with your comments. The need to be within that backdrop gets a little overwhelming sometimes. I'd love to visit the beautiful city beyond and yet it isn't possible. The closest to trying to replicate a functional town/city without loading screens is finding the largest lot imaginable and building a smaller version of a place upon there, which helps with the immersion a little...

You're certainly not the odd one out.
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I like that world too but the sizes of that world is just too smasl. Really pretty world needs more lots to build and live there :blush:
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Peace.

Love your Mirage Park. I haven't started renovating that section yet but I have finished The Pinnacles.

asJfxwn.png

My old hollywood stars, Audrey, Elizabeth, Grace, and Marilyn live in the house to the left.

8tQQQi9.png

TYXWiWO.png

pY1ErKh.png

uGfgGCH.png

zETmBrs.png

7POZ7Z0.png

I won't be playing these sims but my sim has visited and the views from that section of town are amazing.

I adore your builds! <3
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I like that world too but the sizes of that world is just too smasl. Really pretty world needs more lots to build and live there :blush:

I'm still considering it turning it into a place where Sims go, rather than where they live. I moved Judith Ward to a San Myshuno penthouse so I could place my Arts Center there, and I might move the Bailey-Moons to Oasis Springs and replace their lot with a fancy gym/spa, then turn the 64x64 lot into a big museum with an outdoor center courtyard for weddings.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Peace.

asJfxwn.png

8tQQQi9.png

TYXWiWO.png

pY1ErKh.png

uGfgGCH.png

I adore your builds! <3

You give me too much credit. 😄 All downloaded from the Gallery.