Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should future Occults be in dedicated Game Packs (like Vampires)?

Personally, i'm a fan of seeing occults in dedicated Game Packs because i believe that leaves EAxis no excuses to make them half-baked and they will be as fleshed out as Vampires. (also more profit!) But the thing is, with only 3 years of content left for TS4 (yeah i know SimGurus say AT LEAST 3 years but more than that seems unlikely), i doubt if EAxis will have time to both make dedicated Game Packs for occults and make other content simmers are constantly asking for (more hobbies, more stuff for life stages, Tropical vacation Pack, better weddings, University etc). So i'm leaning towards a Supernatural EP that includes my favorite occults (Werewolves, Fairies, Witches, maybe Genies?).
So what do you think? Do you want dedicated game packs for future occults or prefer a Supernatural EP?
(Please write which occults you want to see in the future and how they should be like in the comments, thanks! :) )

Should future Occults be in dedicated Game Packs (like Vampires)? 190 votes

Dedicated Game Packs (quicker. but only one occult per pack)
41%
catmom1987rudy8292Kita5399aprilroselornalexloveEIisabettadanacnbrettVibseAlrynnSuccyIrdiweninvisiblgirlMariefoxprice83simgirl1010luthienrisingmock68SjofnldmarkoVuloriKaeChan2089 79 votes
Supernatural Expansion Pack (slower. can only happen once. but a lot of occults in one pack!)
12%
DannydanbostoryyAlexizealanmichael1BluelleTheGreatGorlonagent_bevLolli999JackOnYourBackrjssimChadSims2Goofhead2maxsa13zdoedearFreezerBunnyCowplantEricasFreePlayKaronkatrinasforestWispyeVampris 23 votes
Some need dedicated Game Packs, others should be in a Supernatural Expansion Pack (write in the comments)
16%
icmnfrshGRIMMYalexspoom13alan650111IceyJrjhenn14Bagoas77RoboSpongiestilljustme2RaevynAeriexo11Jennyggemmawatson9TerraZeldaboy180wormstache999bizuktagInternal_ChaosBrittneyLeeeVentusMatt 32 votes
I don't really care as long as they are fully fleshed out like Vampires
29%
KolbyWedPlayerSinger2010AnmirlarobyngravesIObelledrake_mccartyKirbySkywalkerN0NoTToN0NR0bertaHimRumiashcrash19taydevpixiejuicephantasmkissCinders27ClassicalSimgraventheEmmaVanefullspiral 56 votes

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Some need dedicated Game Packs, others should be in a Supernatural Expansion Pack (write in the comments)
    I'm not a huge occult fan, but there are some that I like (witches, robots, mermaids). I believe that some can be more realized in a game pack (witches and werewolves) while some can be bundled wholesale into a supernatural EP, or included as a side feature in a relevant pack (mermaids in a beach EP).

It really depends on how much depth there is to the concept. Mermaids could possibly have their own power system (like being more siren-like or being better at commanding nautical life) for example, but the concept can't hold its own in an independent pack.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    SimsWichtesSimsWichtes Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2019
    Im still amazed by their vampires. I want them to go on with that.
    Dunno I fear they screw up a super natural expansion pack. If they put 2 greatly done additional supernaturals in it like witches and, for example: mermaids (which many wanted) , it would be cool.
    But I dont want to be spammed with alot of bad supernaturals.

Really im a fantasy lover and I want witches as the next pack really bad. But occults like plant sims are MEH. And I dont need to be pleased by patchy or gnomes in seasons for example.I want detailed supernaturals or nothing. In fact after Witches I dont need anything else for my fantasy gameplay. I love the realism in sims and I want more stuff thats realistic. And this realism makes me love my supernaturals even more because they are so unique. The normal makes the fantastic special. So the most part of a sims game can be realistic for me while just 10% is not. But those 10% must be made by heart. Not spamming unfinished or goofy fantasy things to us and expect us to be pleased.

In terms of what supernatural can come after or along with witches, I would say robots. (tho they might not really be occults) I just like them as servants and for storytelling. Werewolves are fine aswell. One of those 2.
    I dont need a genie nor a fairy because I think Witches can handle all the magic stuff. And in terms of granting wishes, we already have the wishing well.
    Mermaids are not needed for me either. I like em but we dont have swimable oceans and not even an open world so I guess a fish sim in a pool would be boring, atleast for me. Perhaps they create some kind of underwater world but I dunno, I think they will turn out boring in sims 4.

Im also a fan of dedicated game packs so that, as you said, they dont make them supernaturals half backed. I also dont see too much more supernatural comming to sims4 and im fine with that. Im really confident that they will make Witches great because of those vampires we got. I just fear that this put expecations up. I hope they can manage to get them as good or even better as vampires. And if it really turns out to be an EP I hope they put just 2 very detailed supernaturals in it and not 5 half backed. Quality over quantity.

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I just want them fleshed out. I don't care if they're game packs or EPs. Just please flesh them out!
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I actually like this idea because Vampires imo were very good all together and having a separate gb for each occult I am totally ok for .
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2019
    The comment about "at least three years of content" was how many months ago? :D Yeah, we've chewed a chunk out of that time already - I'd say we've at least nom nommed it down to at least 2 1/2 years.
    I don't think we will be getting a substantial amount of content in the time left, so we may need to accept that we Occult players probably won't see many more Occult Sims introduced into game. It's been over two years since Vampires and at that rate, we might be lucky to see two more if they dedicate them to their own GPs. If we expect to see any trace of many more, we are probably going to have to accept some of them as NPC/temporary states.
    Another possible issue is that the dedicated teams appear to be gone. It looks like they might be down to one team working on all packs. This could mean it will take longer to see any meaty material available (which definitely includes Occults).

I wouldn't mind seeing Witches and Fairies brought together under a Magic EP because in that sense, you could tie the themes together. They would both need to have the Vampire treatment though and we should expect that if they are presented in an EP.
    It would be nice to see fully fleshed out Werewolves also added to it (if you approached it as a general Supernatural EP) because Witches should be able to curse Sims to cause them to turn in the light of the full moon. My concern with having all of these Occults together is that they will not be their full potential. If they can do it properly, PLEASE! Bring it on!
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    none of the above if they went to bring back other supernatraul life staes I would not mind them only if they include a toggle to turn them off ingame
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think some of the key supernaturals (witches, werewolves, fairies/elves) could benefit from having a dedicated game pack. Others, like mermaids, genies, etc. where there's not a lot of specific lore would be fine with being included in a pack that focuses on other themes (mermaids in a tropical vacation pack, for example). Robots are sort of a quasi-occult, like aliens; I'm not sure they need their own pack but they need to be well thought out and fleshed out if part of another pack (like maybe a Hobbies GP that adds Robotics and other pastimes).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Honestly I would be happy either way, as long as we get werewolves, as well as the favourite witches. I would love a well done supernatural EP though.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    Supernatural Expansion Pack (slower. can only happen once. but a lot of occults in one pack!)
    I'm torn. I'd love to see a lot put into an expansion, but I can see the benefit of having dedicated packs to single supernaturals. Something like Witches I feel like NEEDS it's own GP, cause a magic system would need to be crazy diverse and deep, plus they could supplement the pack with an Alchemy skill and a new town - even if it's a small one like Forgotten Hollow.

On the reverse, I feel like Faeries and Mermaids could be lumped together, or as tag alongs in similarly themed GP. Werewolves, too, could be a tag along because there's honestly not been a lot to them in the past games, and so long as there's moon cycles, they can transform and have their silly interactions like shed and chew the sofa. Robots are slightly different, but could be a tag along as well. Personally I ADORED the Plumbots in Into the Future in TS3, and the entire chip system that you could use to trait them and give them autonomy. I think that could be a fun thing to add back to the game, and could easily be slipped in with a science based pack or even as a tag along with a University pack.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'd be happy either way just as long as they're well thought out AND well incorporated. Emphasized that last part for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I meant to select Some Need Dedicated Game packs. Specifically witches. I don't think there is enough content for any other occult to have a dedicated pack and would like to see them individually incorporated into Expansion Packs.
  • Options
    RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    I think there should be a expansion with Supernatural themes, maybe 2-3 really well done occult sims. Then I think they should use Game Packs to add additional occult sims.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Honestly, just give me occults already! But I could see things like witches and werewolves being their own GP, while other things like zombies, remade plantsims, robots, fairies, whatever could be part of an EP or several. But at this point, I want supernaturals like yesterday!
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    I disagree with all of the options. I think what EA should do is create expansions dedicated to other ideas that include supernaturals. I think this is the way to make the most $$$, since a lot of people don't want supernaturals in their game.

For example:

Sims 4 Renaissance could include royalty AND witches.
    Sims 4 Tropical Vacation could include a tropical vacation world, hotels, and mermaids (among other things)
    I'd love to see a retro themed game pack with genies, reminiscent of "I Dream of Jeannie", because I think we need more retro inspired items.
    ... and so on (I think you get the idea)
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Call me cheap, but I really couldn't care less about how long it takes if it means we can get them all (or atleast most of them) in one giant fleshed out pack, PLUS a bigger chance for a supernatural world.
    More bang for your buck
    ctthomas wrote: »
    I disagree with all of the options. I think what EA should do is create expansions dedicated to other ideas that include supernaturals. I think this is the way to make the most $$$, since a lot of people don't want supernaturals in their game.

For example:

Sims 4 Tropical Vacation could include a tropical vacation world, hotels, and mermaids (among other things)
    I'd love to see a retro themed game pack with genies, reminiscent of "I Dream of Jeannie", because I think we need more retro inspired items.

While a nice idea they would most likely end up half baked. And also like you said not everyone wants supernaturals and those who buy those packs will want a toggle for them and for them to be as far away as possible.
    I mean heck a good chunk of people are kinda vocal about wanting a toggle for Vampires in their own pack, imagine the complaints about Maxis slipping in witches or werewolves in University.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think what made previous expansions fun like University and Pets in TS2 is that the "occults" were tied into a theme. Vampires were part of the nightlife, zombies were a consequence of a cheap resurrection, werewolves were a surprise if a sim was bitten by a wolf... I think the problem came with TS3, when towns were overrun with zombies and vampires everywhere and ruined gameplay for alot of people that wanted witches and fairies with Supernatural. So as a result we're now getting these boringly specific packs with no surprise content, with EA's excuse being: what if players didn't want werewolves with Pets. TS4 is very similar to TS2. It's not an open world with story progression getting out of control.

I think they made a mistake with TS4 (could be intentional) cause werewolves won't have a dedicated GP, neither will robots which could have been included in the science career in Get to Work.

Nevertheless, given what we're getting, I hope witches get their own GP full of different spells, cauldrons, flying brooms, Bonehilda, magical gnomes and "flamingo" dancers (see TS1 Makin' Magic), and magic beanstalks :p
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    edited February 2019
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I think what made previous expansions fun like University and Pets in TS2 is that the "occults" were tied into a theme. Vampires were part of the nightlife, zombies were a consequence of a cheap resurrection, werewolves were a surprise if a sim was bitten by a wolf... I think the problem came with TS3, when towns were overrun with zombies and vampires everywhere and ruined gameplay for a lot of people that wanted witches and fairies with Supernatural. So as a result we're now getting these boringly specific packs with no surprise content, with EA's excuse being: what if players didn't want werewolves with Pets. TS4 is very similar to TS2. It's not an open world with story progression getting out of control.

I think they made a mistake with TS4 (could be intentional) cause werewolves won't have a dedicated GP, neither will robots which could have been included in the science career in Get to Work.

You made a good point, i don't like the way in TS3 you either have to see Premades turn into occults or just disable occult generation as a whole. It would be better if for instance new generated townies had a chance of turning into occults.

But a question, i can't see why Werewolves aren't going to have a dedicated GP. Sure, the pack would have less content comparing to Vampires and a potential Witches GP but it could still be a thing!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Not an occult fan, so if they make the two I do want (witches and elves), I don't want a giant pack with other occults I don't want (like werewolves and especially zombies). And, I'd rather not have them included as part of general expansion, like aliens in the GTW expansion.

I also agree that they're going to be done much better if they're the stars of their own pack. It might make sense to bundle a bunch of less popular occults into one big pack (which I could just not buy), but personally, I'd rather they do other stuff, like an education pack and hobbies. (I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if the next pack is witches, though.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    As far as I'm concerned, Werewolves and Sorcerers are the only ones that should come in a GP, the rest I don't really care about.
    they could greatly benefit in doing so.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2019
    Anmirla wrote: »
    The comment about "at least three years of content" was how many months ago? :D
    Yeah, we've chewed a chunk out of that time already - I'd say we've at least nom nommed it down to at least 2 1/2 years.
    I don't think we will be getting a substantial amount of content in the time left, so we may need to accept that we Occult players probably won't see many more Occult Sims introduced into game. It's been over two years since Vampires and at that rate, we might be lucky to see two more if they dedicate them to their own GPs. If we expect to see any trace of many more, we are probably going to have to accept some of them as NPC/temporary states.
    Another possible issue is that the dedicated teams appear to be gone. It looks like they might be down to one team working on all packs. This could mean it will take longer to see any meaty material available (which definitely includes Occults).

I wouldn't mind seeing Witches and Fairies brought together under a Magic EP because in that sense, you could tie the themes together. They would both need to have the Vampire treatment though and we should expect that if they are presented in an EP.
    It would be nice to see fully fleshed out Werewolves also added to it (if you approached it as a general Supernatural EP) because Witches should be able to curse Sims to cause them to turn in the light of the full moon. My concern with having all of these Occults together is that they will not be their full potential. If they can do it properly, PLEASE! Bring it on!

One.

I want witches, werewolves and maybe fairies to be put in gamepacks, but if we get any smaller occults they can be merged into an EP.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2019
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Anmirla wrote: »
    The comment about "at least three years of content" was how many months ago? :D
    Yeah, we've chewed a chunk out of that time already - I'd say we've at least nom nommed it down to at least 2 1/2 years.

One.

Graham (I believe) originally tweeted this some months ago...
    Maybe it was Grant, but the point I'm making is that this number has been repeated for months.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    @MasonGamer @SinaMegapolis How would you do werewolves to have them have enough content to have a dedicated GP? In all past iterations of werewolves, all they do is get hairy when the full moon arrives, and then get some new interactions with other Sims, other werewolves, pets, and furniture. They've never been as involved or dynamic as vampires or witches, and I can't think of any way they could be made as expansive as vampires, since they don't have access to magic and you'd really be only picking flaws like "Likes to chew the sofa" and perks like "Wins more in fights." I don't particularly see them as needing a full pack to themselves for this reason.
  • Options
    @MasonGamer @SinaMegapolis How would you do werewolves to have them have enough content to have a dedicated GP? In all past iterations of werewolves, all they do is get hairy when the full moon arrives, and then get some new interactions with other Sims, other werewolves, pets, and furniture. They've never been as involved or dynamic as vampires or witches, and I can't think of any way they could be made as expansive as vampires, since they don't have access to magic and you'd really be only picking flaws like "Likes to chew the sofa" and perks like "Wins more in fights." I don't particularly see them as needing a full pack to themselves for this reason.

If they get a dedicated pack for themselves, it gives time to developers to focus more on the Perks/Weaknesses tree they would get. Their "Wolf" form might as well get more customizable options (like what happened with "Vampire details").
    And in case of running out of ideas for Werewolves' Perks/Weaknesses there are a lot of ideas given by multiple simmers in the community. Most of them focusing on the transformation process and "Wolf form" appearance. Some simmers went as far as even suggesting a Pack system (like clubs in Get Together) as well as asking for Werewolves that can turn into a full wolf. There were also some neat little details i saw and suggested in between all of these. (like pick locking locked doors with claws and/or an optional werewolf break-in event where a random werewolf comes at your house to steal food present in the refrigerator and scratch furniture at random times)

If you want to read some suggestions for a werewolf GP look up "Lycanthropy in the sims 4: what i want" (or something like that, the key word is Lycanthropy) on the forum posts. I recall reading that post and it had some good ideas.
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    Call me cheap, but I really couldn't care less about how long it takes if it means we can get them all (or atleast most of them) in one giant fleshed out pack, PLUS a bigger chance for a supernatural world.
    More bang for your buck

For example:

While a nice idea they would most likely end up half baked. And also like you said not everyone wants supernaturals and those who buy those packs will want a toggle for them and for them to be as far away as possible.
    I mean heck a good chunk of people are kinda vocal about wanting a toggle for Vampires in their own pack, imagine the complaints about Maxis slipping in witches or werewolves in University.

True, they might end up "half-baked", but I think we have to be realistic about this "three more years of content" - or probably less at this point, as many have suggested. There's no way that they're going to release dedicated game packs for all of the occults that people are requesting in that amount of time. Sure, they could make a dedicated Supernaturals EP, but wouldn't that lead to the same issue? Additionally, I just don't think a Supernaturals EP would sell nearly as much as a combo EP, like the ones I've suggested. I think EA is aware of that. My guess is we're going to see a lot more of these. Possibly a dedicated Witches GP because it's so highly requested, but I don't think we'll see any other packs dedicated solely to supernaturals.

Also, if you're interested, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zL6imiQq8

At the end the developers talk a lot about what could have made The Sims Medieval better, and it sounds a lot like TS4 to me. I don't think a Renaissance pack with royalty and witches is too far fetched.

Also, couldn't they introduce a toggle for supernaturals regardless of how they're introduced?
  • Options
    True, they might end up "half-baked", but I think we have to be realistic about this "three more years of content" - or probably less at this point, as many have suggested. There's no way that they're going to release dedicated game packs for all of the occults that people are requesting in that amount of time. Sure, they could make a dedicated Supernaturals EP, but wouldn't that lead to the same issue? Additionally, I just don't think a Supernaturals EP would sell nearly as much as a combo EP, like the ones I've suggested. I think EA is aware of that. My guess is we're going to see a lot more of these. Possibly a dedicated Witches GP because it's so highly requested, but I don't think we'll see any other packs dedicated solely to supernaturals.

Also, if you're interested, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zL6imiQq8

At the end the developers talk a lot about what could have made The Sims Medieval better, and it sounds a lot like TS4 to me. I don't think a Renaissance pack with royalty and witches is too far fetched.

Also, couldn't they introduce a toggle for supernaturals regardless of how they're introduced?

Making a Supernatural EP does lead to the same issue. But at least we will get another fleshed out Occult but with two other Occults which are not as fleshed out as the other Occult would be. So its still better than including all future occults as side-features in future Expansion Packs.