Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Guide to Synchronizing Your Sims 4 Saves Across Multiple Computers Through The Cloud

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
Hey! We all know that Origin doesn't support cloud syncing for TS4 because our gameplay data tends to get really big. I decided to experiment a bit and see if I could sync my saves between my home and work PC (we're allowed to play during breaks, so it's fine). I did a little research and found a method that worked for me, so I'm sharing it with you guys. As a bonus, my files are on the cloud, so if my hard drive crashes, my saves will always be up-to-date.

To the best of my knowledge, this method works for:
  • Dropbox
  • Sync
  • OneDrive

We're going to make use of something called symbolic links. Symbolic links are like shortcuts, but a bit fancier. On Windows, these let you trick Dropbox and other cloud services into syncing any folder in your computer, regardless of its location.

We're mostly concerned with these folders in your The Sims 4 folder in My Documents. If you play in a language other than English, the names of these folders will be different.
  • saves
  • Custom Music (if you have any)
  • Mods (if you have any mods or CC)
  • Recorded videos (if you would like to sync these too)
  • Screenshots (if you would like to sync these too)
  • Tray (for the households and lots saved locally in your library)

Why not just sync the entire Sims 4 folder? This is what I did at first, but the disadvantage is that these cloud services don't let you choose which files to sync. You'll end up with a lot of junk that you don't need in your cloud storage. Most of the files outside these folders are temporary files that the game uses for processing or trivial stuff like which CAS items you haven't used yet. Plus the game updates these a lot, so they'll use up your bandwidth too.

Let's get to it!

Windows
1. If you've already synced your folders to the cloud and want to sync a new computer, pause your cloud storage service, and delete any Sims 4 folders that it tried to download. We want it to download the folders into your documents folder.
2. Open your start menu
3. Type cmd
4. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator (you need to use an administrator account to do this)
JJOzsHd.png

5. For each folder that you want to sync, type the following:

mklink /d "<path to your cloud service's folder>" "<path to your documents folder>"

Don't forget to wrap them in quotation marks. This is for paths with spaces, which the documents folder has (because of the "Electronic Arts" and "The Sims 4" folders)

For example, I want Dropbox to sync my saves folder. I might type something like this:
mklink /d "C:/Users/Iceman/Dropbox/saves" "C:/Users/Iceman/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves"

Of course, the folder paths are different per user, so it's up to you to figure out where everything is.

Mac
Coming Soon

It takes a while to set up, but it's well worth the effort, IMO.

Some tips:
  • Always make sure you have enough space left in your cloud storage
  • Always make sure your files are fully synchronized before playing to avoid conflicts
  • Always make sure to let your files fully synchronize after playing to avoid conflicts
  • You can pause syncing on your cloud service while playing to save on bandwidth, but don't forget to unpause after playing!
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    This is pretty cool. I play my main save on a desktop in the den and I have a vampire save on my laptop for playing when I don't feel like being chained to my desk.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    This is pretty cool. I play my main save on a desktop in the den and I have a vampire save on my laptop for playing when I don't feel like being chained to my desk.

Before this, it was just me messing around with TS4 stuff on my work PC. But now that my "main" saves are synced, I can make some progress on my saves if I have some time to spare at work. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    edited February 2019
    Where were you when I was busy housebreaking my two Beagle pups? LOL I was stuck downstairs on the main floor (since the flooring is all Slate and much easier to clean than carpeting). I kept having to move where I sat with my laptop, as despite my cleverness at 'hiding' the power cord for the thing, one of them got too interested. Don't want a scorched puppy. Ultimately, I ended up at the bar since that's part of the kitchen and the bar stools are very high (we have a Great Room). I played my game there when I wasn't busy revising my latest manuscript. GF hit and well, that first attempt was interesting. What I did was place my Sims 4 game folder onto a flash drive and transfer it to my gaming computer. When I finally got back upstairs, I didn't bother transferring the game, but just picked up where I'd left off, so that there is two completely different games going on. I don't expect to play on the laptop again for quite some time. By then, I may scrap the saves and start fresh.

But, this would have been very useful. Thanks for sharing!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Question, and this could be cause I'm just waking up and haven't had my full first cup of coffee yet... Do you have to be online to access your saves ever? Like, if I played last night, and it saved to One Drive, and I woke up this morning and my internet was out (cause I have satellite internet and it goes out cause the wind blew sometimes) would I not be able to access my saves and play my game?

Or does the game still save on my computer, you just created a link to OneDrive/DropBox? You mention Symbolic Links, but I'm drawing a blank on what that is right now. (Seriously, I gotta wake up :D:D )
    p8L4V6v.png
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Question, and this could be cause I'm just waking up and haven't had my full first cup of coffee yet... Do you have to be online to access your saves ever? Like, if I played last night, and it saved to One Drive, and I woke up this morning and my internet was out (cause I have satellite internet and it goes out cause the wind blew sometimes) would I not be able to access my saves and play my game?

Or does the game still save on my computer, you just created a link to OneDrive/DropBox? You mention Symbolic Links, but I'm drawing a blank on what that is right now. (Seriously, I gotta wake up :D:D )

The saves are also accessible offline, because you have local copies stored on your devices. (And as a matter of fact, the game won't work without them)

The only thing is that if you're offline, you won't be able to sync your saves to the cloud. That's about it.

Where were you when I was busy housebreaking my two Beagle pups? LOL I was stuck downstairs on the main floor (since the flooring is all Slate and much easier to clean than carpeting). I kept having to move where I sat with my laptop, as despite my cleverness at 'hiding' the power cord for the thing, one of them got too interested. Don't want a scorched puppy. Ultimately, I ended up at the bar since that's part of the kitchen and the bar stools are very high (we have a Great Room). I played my game there when I wasn't busy revising my latest manuscript. GF hit and well, that first attempt was interesting. What I did was place my Sims 4 game folder onto a flash drive and transfer it to my gaming computer. When I finally got back upstairs, I didn't bother transferring the game, but just picked up where I'd left off, so that there is two completely different games going on. I don't expect to play on the laptop again for quite some time. By then, I may scrap the saves and start fresh.

But, this would have been very useful. Thanks for sharing!

I had thought about it for a while, but I didn't get around to trying it until recently. And it works pretty well :)

• BachPatuBachPatu Posts: 21 Member
    Google Drive SHOULD work as well (At least one would THINK)
  • SischionSischion Posts: 1 New Member
    Cool. This is brilliant idea. I tried this and it works! At first it did not, but after I switched folder, I don't why but it worked.

mklink /d "<path to your cloud service's folder>" "<path to your documents folder>"

->>
    mklink /d "<path to your documents folder>" "<path to your cloud service's folder>"