March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A more mature version of Sims?

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
One of these days EA is going to catch on to the fact that an over 18 Sims type game would do very well, especially in the Supernatural or Sci Fi genre. No going round with guns or knives or stealing cars (unless you want to) but just living in a more adult scenario.

More like ,,, now I've killed off all the aliens, robbers, become top dog in my game, going home and building up a world again from scratch!

They have to be so careful they don't go over the "Teen" rating at the moment which is a bit frustrating for some Simmers.

[Edited by EA_Mai to restore the title]
Post edited by EA_Mai on

Comments

• NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Mods.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Mods.

Mods are ok but are a nuisance when a game is constantly patched. I never use them.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    you should consider using mods and custom content because I doubt this will happen and nothing is wrong with the t rating of the game and what you need to think is what if they decided the next generation of the sims was rated e for everyone
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    you should consider using mods and custom content because I doubt this will happen and nothing is wrong with the t rating of the game and what you need to think is what if they decided the next generation of the sims was rated e for everyone

So we have a game now which is rated Teen but is too easy for everybody, including Teens and under, to modify to a game which would be rated as Adult.

Maxis removed a lot of code available to modders last year which they previously had shared because it could lead to game difficulties as well.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 782 Member

Nothing wrong with E-rated games. You should be more worried about EA never patching game-breaking bugs/glitches. People don't care if something is rated E or T or even M-what drives people away from games are the game-breaking bugs/glitches that NEVER get addressed or repaired. Some things in Dine out and Get To Work are STILL broken,and have never been fixed..same with the leaf piles in Seasons. I think repairing serious bugs like that is more important than worrying about some game rating.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,216 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

So we have a game now which is rated Teen but is too easy for everybody, including Teens and under, to modify to a game which would be rated as Adult.

Maxis removed a lot of code available to modders last year which they previously had shared because it could lead to game difficulties as well.

Ah, you must be referring to that horrific Mod-Buster patch that came with Cats & Dogs. I'm still not over that one. I liked being able to have more than 8 Sims to a lot. I'm struggling now to play my Ancestral Game Save, due to the fact that I can't save if the lot has a single Sim over the maximum, which means breaking a family apart before the oldest children are ready to move on with their lives. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think EA would have to release both ratings then. Plus, the Sims games are just not about being particularly challenging. They are known for being what the player makes them. I'm approaching 40 years of age and I don't see the rating of these games as an issue. They are meant for casual and relaxing play that sparks the imagination. Look elsewhere, if you need something other than what The Sims are offering. My two cents.
    Post edited by Nindigo on

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,615 Member

What code was this? All I know of is that they updated the version of Python that the game uses, which meant that a new tool was needed for modders making script mods. Everyone adapted, and we're back to business as usual.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I can't really think of any "mature" themes that I feel like this game absolutely needs. Then again I've never really been the type to go around murdering my sims and stuff like that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Nothing wrong with E-rated games. You should be more worried about EA never patching game-breaking bugs/glitches. People don't care if something is rated E or T or even M-what drives people away from games are the game-breaking bugs/glitches that NEVER get addressed or repaired. Some things in Dine out and Get To Work are STILL broken,and have never been fixed..same with the leaf piles in Seasons. I think repairing serious bugs like that is more important than worrying about some game rating.

Those were fixed in the last patch. If you're still having trouble with them you might try deleting your cache files and repairing your game.
  • VaidaVaida Posts: 35 Member
    From my point of view EA already realizes that there is a big chunk of adult customers within fans of Sims, and that is why they don't ban various more or less morally wrong mods available on the internet.
    At the same time I am quite sure they won't make a Sim installment exclusively for adult people, as most of Sims content is addressed to teens. Look at the whole vibe of the game, whole "streaming" services, popculture stuff and radio stations available in the game. It aims at teens, obviously, as it always was.
    So as people said before me, mods.
    Nice pants.
    P6Ps.gif
    Lack of imagination here so I just give up.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited February 2019
    There is a few... scenario's... I can think that mods have added to the game, that if they were introduced into my EA version of sims I'd just step away from the game in general and would not allow my daughter to play it.

I honestly think rating the game T for Teen reaches a larger audience, and people that want more adult themes and things have mods available. I understand some people don't want to play mods, but Sims has never been the type of game that many people think it should be. Maybe GTA is more their style. At any rate, I don't want my sims running around, murdering or getting murdered, working the pole for dollars, and a large variety of other things. And when I do get the urge to dabbling in that type of game play, I like that I can download a mod, play that way for however long suits me, and my daughter can still play a cleaner version of the game on her computer. Then, take out the mods when I'm done.

And there has never been code removed to stop modders from modding the game. As Luthien said, it was changed, but we are all back to normal now. The only thing is some modders may have decided to not update their mods, making them obsolete.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    The game is fine the way it is as far as ratings go - it does not need a more mature version. Simmers prove that by still mking it one of the top ten games out there for now over 19 years. Leave well enough alone.

There are plenty racy, raunchy games out there - the Sims is just good - clean fun - and I hope it stays that way. I am sure it will seeing Maxis has always said they will never do anything to change it's rating.

ETA - By the way the present ratings of the Sims cover everything that has been in the game since the first sims game. So if something you liked in previous games is not in the game presently - it has nothing to do with the ratings - but is the choice of the developers or some other reason the present game does not have it. I understand slow dancing thus far hasn't been added to the game simply because they have not added it - nothing to do with ratings.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    @LiELF I was going to say something similar to this and I agree with your post completely. I don't necessarily want the rating to go up to mature, but I would like to see it go back in the direction of the sims 1 and 2. Maybe aim more towards the higher end of the teen rating than the lower end as a compromise.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,373 Member
    Thank you for your comments @LiELF and I agree with you completely. Probably the cutest romantic animations were in Sims 2 and I wish EA would bring back at least slow dancing to Sims 4. It's too bad when an agency such as ESRB has to think it must protect us from ourselves.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'd very much want this and not just for violence and sex as @Lief pointed out. I'd love a game that could at least go as far as past games did without developers worrying about the rating. As in oh we can do this it will push the T rating. I want things like fear. I want some more realistic situations. I'd like sadness and dark emotions to work with. I want to play out things I see in television shows and movies today. The Sims doesn't have to go into the toilet to at least set up simulation that can do this of course I have no doubt that some people will see it as being corrupted. I'm torn though because I do like the funny situations so basically the type of simulation I'd like... Well I'm not sure it would actually be the Sims anymore.
    Mostly I'd like them to build a base game that could go in either direction. Perhaps when you buy it you buy for "E" or "M". I mean it's all going to be digital right? They could determine what is unlocked or available for the story depending? Would be even better if it were somehow made into a game where you could unlock the "M" later if the customer aged up or wanted those senerios. For those that might want to keep it more disneyland... they could.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,381 Member
    The slow dancing option would be great to have. I miss this option from the sims 2 game.

But when it comes to the rating, I think the game is fine as it is. There are enough games out there with violence. I like the light tone of the sims. Light entertainment, just for fun.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I herd that they were considered a self love option but you know eww
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Lack of imagination here so I just give up.

Well to start, that's extremely dismissive of you to say. But apart from that, you haven't bothered to clarify what these "mature" themes you'd like to see consist of (apart from killing off aliens). So if you feel we aren't being imaginative enough, then it's up to you to go into detail. That's the point of a discussion.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,383 Member
    I would buy an adult Sim version immediately. But instead the game is getting younger and younger.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well there are many, many older simmers now and more by the year. I think it would sell.
    egTcBMc.png
  • VaidaVaida Posts: 35 Member
    @LiELF - oh my god, yes, that is exactly what I'm missing in the newer installments of The Sims. I miss mysterious prank calls from the first one, those special kinds of sounds and overall "absurd" tone of drama, I miss negative outcomes and seriousness of TS2, kids running away, parents being furious about kids grades, burglars and all of it.
    If that's what is meant by adult Sims game then I aggree completely, TS4 greatly misses a "little" bit of weight put on this topic.
    Nice pants.
    P6Ps.gif
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    @LiELF well said. I too would like that all to return. Though I suspect, and I could be wrong, that not adding many of those things has less to do with a ratings issue and more to do with not wanting to offend. To me it seems Maxis/EA are playing it extremely safe due impart, in my opinion, that we have rapidly moved into a society that is very easily offended.