The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trait Ideas

I personally feel that in respect to traits in the Sims 4, we don't have enough. Especially more negative traits. Would love to see some or all of these show up in the game someday.

- Serious - Dampens playful emotion
- Stoic - Dampens sad emotion
- Peaceful - Dampens angry emotion
- Easy Going - Dampens tense emotion
- Absent Minded - Dampens focus and increases dazed
- Coward - Tense during dangerous activities
- Brave - Confident during dangerous activities
- Daredevil - Energized during dangerous activities
- Handy - Increases handiness skill faster
- Green Thumb - Increases gardening skill faster
- Logical - Increases mental skills faster and tense around supernaturals
- Whimsical - Increases artistic skills faster and inspired around supernaturals
- Shy - Slows charisma skill and increases chance of becoming embarrassed in social situations
- Brooding - Brooding option increases social need and creates focus
- Anti-Tech - Becomes tense when using electronics (needs to come with non tech options for computer)
- High-Tech - Becomes tense when away from electronics
- Eco-Friendly - Prefers earth friendly options (comes with living off the grid pack)
- Grumpy - Dampens positive emotions, slows social and romance gain
- Overly Emotional - Increases strength and duration of sad and angry emotions
- Unemotional - Gives a +10 fine emotion

I do realize some of these are in the game if you complete an aspiration, but I don't like having traits locked up. What if I want to create a green thumb or handy sim right away? We can create an artistic sim right away.

Anyways, I'd love to see other ideas for sim traits and how they would affect the sims.

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    We could definitely use some more traits. I like your ideas. I frequently forget that there's not a Lazy trait as there was in Sims 3.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    We could definitely use some more traits. I like your ideas. I frequently forget that there's not a Lazy trait as there was in Sims 3.

Thanks, but I believe there is a Lazy trait in the Sims 4.

We could definitely use more traits (among other things) to make our sims more unique. I also wish the traits played off each other more so that combining them would change the flavor of the trait.

Thanks, but I believe there is a Lazy trait in the Sims 4.

We could definitely use more traits (among other things) to make our sims more unique. I also wish the traits played off each other more so that combining them would change the flavor of the trait.

You're right. there is a Lazy trait. I must be thinking of something else.
  • Inactive_5532Inactive_5532 Posts: 54 Member
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    Post edited by Inactive_5532 on
    hello there, xoxo
    black lives matter and trans rights!
    i like musicals, video games (duh,) and books. also, some anime! have a great day, you beautiful person! (she/her)
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
    i like musicals, video games (duh,) and books. also, some anime! have a great day, you beautiful person! (she/her)
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yup, there's so many easy traits they could add but they don't, dunno why... :weary:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ZoraZeldaZoraZelda Posts: 29 Member
    Sexist-Reacts negatively to the opposite gender. Gets strong moodlets when around the same gender.
    Enticing-Easily attracts all sims regardless of marital status(married or not)is better when performing romantic interactions.
    Unattractive-Fails at most friendly or romantic interactions.
    Loyal-Will receives negative moodlets when being romantic with someone other than their partner.
    Pacifist-Will run away from others with negative moodlets and can offer friendship to sims when the conversation isn't going well.
    Generous-WIll give money to lower class sims and to performers without being told.
    Sincere-Gives sims strong moodlets when apologizing and will be successful when apologizing.
    Endurant-Needs will deplete slower and have a hard time dying of hunger and can hold bladder way longer than most sims.
    Unforgiving-Almost never forgives apologies and has a hard time making up with sims once they have a bad relationship.
    Cowardly-Gets tense when faced with anger and runs when they're about to fight other sims.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I agree we definitely need more traits for more complex personalities. I like most of the suggestions here, particularly shy, anti-tech, serious, brooding, over/under emotional, loyal and brave. I like coward too, but would probably prefer something like anxious, worrier or neurotic with a fear emotion to go with it. I would also like to see the return of eccentric, nurturing, socially awkward, inappropriate, proper, rebellious and cultured, or similar ideas.
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
    I agree we definitely need more traits for more complex personalities. I like most of the suggestions here, particularly shy, anti-tech, serious, brooding, over/under emotional, loyal and brave. I like coward too, but would probably prefer something like anxious, worrier or neurotic with a fear emotion to go with it. I would also like to see the return of eccentric, nurturing, socially awkward, inappropriate, proper, rebellious and cultured, or similar ideas.

I like your ideas and I agree a fear emotion would be an awesome addition to the game.

I think I know how most of the others would work, but how do you see eccentric and cultured playing out?
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    More traits would be great if the traits actually made the Sims act differently besides just adding new traits which they should do I want them to expand on what we already have.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    More traits would be great if the traits actually made the Sims act differently besides just adding new traits which they should do I want them to expand on what we already have.

A personality overhaul would probably be the best thing for the game right now. It would be a major undertaking though, so I'm not too hopeful. At least the game is fun in other ways.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Major trait in sims 4 that I think impacting how sims behave are only : Slob (autonomous fart, leaving pile of clothes, dishes etc) Glutton (different eating animation, autonomously search for food in a trashcan) Kleptomaniac, Active, Clumsy & Mean, these three traits really affect sims' personality because they didnt just lazily add specific emotions/moodlet, I think sims 4 need more of these traits in the game, probably something like Innapropriate, Brooding, Brave, Coward, Grumpy, Excitable, Easily Impressed, Schmoozer
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member

I like your ideas and I agree a fear emotion would be an awesome addition to the game.

I think I know how most of the others would work, but how do you see eccentric and cultured playing out?

Well, Cultured was a hidden trait in the Sims 3. Sims with the trait enjoyed talking about art and were more likely to go to the museum, library and theatre. So I guess we could have something similar, discussing art, books, gourmet cuisine, movies etc. and getting happy or inspired buffs at venues. Perhaps they could also gain some skills faster like writing or art or just enjoy gaining new skills/knowledge, or have more refined manners as well as taste.

Eccentric sims in 3 were better at inventions, but personally I would like them to be more quirky, perhaps a bit dreamy/absent-minded and playful and unpredictable, or enjoy exploring and collecting things and have weird obsessions, very creative but with their own unique style of art/writing that affects other sims in unique ways, or always think they're right and not be bothered by the opinions of 'normal' sims that seen them as odd. This is really vague, but I'm sure others would have far better ideas.
    Perhaps all existing traits should have an opposing trait. Some already do but not all. Anything really that will make the traits have a greater impact upon the game.
    edited December 2021
    : DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

A personality overhaul would probably be the best thing for the game right now. It would be a major undertaking though, so I'm not too hopeful. At least the game is fun in other ways.

I'm begging for personalities overhaul since months now.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited December 2021
    DELETED
    hello there, xoxo
  • KriticalKlownKriticalKlown Posts: 198 Member
    edited February 2019
    I wish for the Lucky Trait to come back

@RememberJoy What will the Lucky or UnLucky trait will look like

Hmmm... Maybe a Lucky sim would get promotions faster, increase relationships faster, their stuff wouldn't catch fire or break as often, and they'd be more likely to win the lottery. Unlucky sims would be the opposite of that.

Hmmm... Maybe a Lucky sim would get promotions faster, increase relationships faster, their stuff wouldn't catch fire or break as often, and they'd be more likely to win the lottery. Unlucky sims would be the opposite of that.

Great.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Wow... this is better than what Maxis can come up with for TS4
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Many people think TS4 has too less traits and too less traits can choose, include me. I hope my sims have more personality. Unflirty and vegetarian could add in base game, some traits could available for lower age, only need some emotions details processing(such as snob available for child but snob child won't boring when watching others TV channels)
    Here's some ideas

-Impatient: Conflicts with perfectionists. Sims take shorter to craft items and lower quality, they have same eating animation as gluttons, more often running to move. They receive negative moodlets when undertaking menial tasks, only if they have related traits(such as neat). They will become tense by repeated social interactions.
    -Something I can think out all have similar in TS3

Some traits in TS3 could back or have similar(such as diva and self absorbed) in TS4, some traits could no conflict. Such as childish and goofball/snob, squeamish/love outdoor, klepto/good(I remember they're conflict), etc. If others are emotion reasons(mean/good=opposite to hypocrite, in TS3 they aren't conflict, only most mean interactions locked from them. You also can create a hypocrite in TS3<friendly/evil>), klepto and good haven't emotional conflict(or I don't know/wrong remember) and klepto is behavior, good is personality
    Similarly, clumsy could available for child

Somethings about traits details could more improving. Such as only neat and squeamish will wash hands when use toilet(like TS3). Slob won't flush toilet is do very well.
    Post edited by Shadow_Assassin on
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns