Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are there no recliners?

It's such a strange thing to be missing from the game, and I can probably say I can't remember the last time I saw one in the Sims. But just about everyone's grandparents have them, and they're such an iconic piece of most living rooms, so where are they in the Sims? Maybe it's time to add them? Possibly in an elders themed pack?

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It's such a strange thing to be missing from the game, and I can probably say I can't remember the last time I saw one in the Sims. But just about everyone's grandparents have them, and they're such an iconic piece of most living rooms, so where are they in the Sims? Maybe it's time to add them? Possibly in an elders themed pack?

Yep they are so cool. They were in TS2. I would love to see them return.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • scrutyniscrutyni Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2019
    The physics must be tough for them lol
    Speaking of which, aren't those longer lounge chairs missing too, at least from the base game? I know I couldn't find any and they were definitely a thing in TS3, so you'd think they'd add them when they put pools back into TS4. Unless I'm mistaken haha. And a recliner could just be a shift from a regular chair to one of those outstretched kinds.
    Current SimLit Blog (Rotational Play): https://newcrestsponsorsims4.home.blog/
    Rookie builder and casual Simmer || Gallery: https://tinyurl.com/ycummopq
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited February 2019
    There's a lot of things strangely missing from the game. Cars, lounge chairs, laptops, home phones, L-shaped stairs, ladders, spiral stairs....
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,322 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    There's a lot of things strangely missing from the game. Cars, lounge chairs, laptops, home phones, L-shaped stairs, ladders, spiral stairs....

The homephones!!! I loved them in TS3. I loved adding the one that hangs on the wall in my kitchens and then adding the one with a base on top next the bed counter. I need them, can’t build a home without reminiscing of them
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    To be fair, I don't know ANYONE under 40 who has a home phone or reads a newspaper.

However, this is a life simulator, and who says I only want to simulate modern life? Lots of my stories are based in the past.

Also, I assume recliners aren't in the game for the same reason lounge chairs aren't. They said it'd difficult to do multi-tasking and lounging animations and requires more work. That doesn't mean we won't get any, they said they'd look into it and know we want, just that it akes more time to make than you'd think.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • AlexCroft93AlexCroft93 Posts: 22 Member
    > @Dianesims said:
    > There's a lot of things strangely missing from the game. Cars, lounge chairs, laptops, home phones, L-shaped stairs, ladders, spiral stairs....

I miss cars and bikes :'(
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    @Zeldaboy180 I'm under 40 and I've always had a landline, we are rare but we exsist
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,322 Member
    @Zeldaboy180 I'm under 40 and I've always had a landline, we are rare but we exsist
    Seriously 😐 Used landline until I was able to afford my own phone, still use my landline for when I don’t want to be bothered on my mobile though🤗
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited February 2019
    Well I read newspapers, not everyday, sure, but I do. I don't have a landline but my father does and so do many people. Also they're in police stations, hospitals, businesses, stores....
    To be fair, I don't know ANYONE under 40 who has a home phone or reads a newspaper.

However, this is a life simulator, and who says I only want to simulate modern life? Lots of my stories are based in the past.

Also, I assume recliners aren't in the game for the same reason lounge chairs aren't. They said it'd difficult to do multi-tasking and lounging animations and requires more work. That doesn't mean we won't get any, they said they'd look into it and know we want, just that it akes more time to make than you'd think.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    scrutyni wrote: »
    The physics must be tough for them lol
    Speaking of which, aren't those longer lounge chairs missing too, at least from the base game? I know I couldn't find any and they were definitely a thing in TS3, so you'd think they'd add them when they put pools back into TS4. Unless I'm mistaken haha. And a recliner could just be a shift from a regular chair to one of those outstretched kinds.

Yes they are missing, reportedly because of multitasking. It's hard for them to make new seating positions because there a lot of animating that goes into them. That said, they will only come through either an EP or GP because of the budget.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    If recliners were added to the game, they would have to come with a chance that the Sim could suffer some sort of bizarre death by misusing them. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »

I really really want cars, laptops, and L-shaped stairs!
    The others would be nice too, especially recliners/loungers and bunk beds.
  • Yu16Yu16 Posts: 9 New Member
    it would be perfect if we have different types of stairs, and if we could have lounge chairs, laptops, but as a manor/castle/mansion builder, I would really, really, really love some fancy stairs, and spiral stairs for apartments.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member

Also, I assume recliners aren't in the game for the same reason lounge chairs aren't. They said it'd difficult to do multi-tasking and lounging animations and requires more work. That doesn't mean we won't get any, they said they'd look into it and know we want, just that it ask more time to make than you'd think.
    I agree i have still home phone but it's cordless and it's barley used news paper no one in my household reads the paper i do but very very rare read it..lazy boy chairs i haven't seen those in while either. but i get your saying this gen of sims focus on now sims start late 90's up till now as even ts3 i got rid home phone it pointless since cell phone are in inv. plus tablets so am with you on this.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member

I'm going to be 41 soon but I've had a landline for decades. My brother will be turning 40 this year but he's also had a landline for decades. We also both still read newspapers.
    Zwdtm8.png
  • MooseCaponeMooseCapone Posts: 39 Member
    It's not a common thing for anybody to have a landline here in Sweden, I think this is mostly because of the sales people always calling ... but then again they find you're cellphone number pretty easy anyways so ... 1-0 sales people I guess LOL
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I miss lots of items that might be less modern, but that would be great for making film/machinima. Even the wall phone and newspaper. Might not need them in my game, but in an office or cafe scene - YES. I want the recliner back, too. They were super for taking a quick nap without going to bed. It's not the same taking a nap on a sofa, a recliner seems more planned routine. Hoping we'll get some of those mentioned items!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

I'm under 40 and have a home phone haha! In fact I only just got my first cell phone 2 months ago. I don't read the newspaper though LOL! But there's definitely Sims that are over 40. Be nice to have them in some of our elders houses
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I'm from the UK and practically everyone I know has a landline, so I think they would be nice to have. I don't read newspapers, but again they wouldn't be unwelcome. We love our recliners so they would be great to have for sims to nap and lounge on whilst not taking up too much space.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    It could also be regional. I'm in america and typically land lines arent common in millennial houses.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Moving this to Ideas Corner. Carry on~
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd say we don't have recliners for the same reason we don't have lounge chairs the team does not want to have to make all of the new animations they would require they feel as it would be better for us if they tossed in more regular chairs.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd say we don't have recliners for the same reason we don't have lounge chairs the team does not want to have to make all of the new animations they would require they feel as it would be better for us if they tossed in more regular chairs.

They should be less selfish sometimes, think about your players a little bit. Even tho it requires a lot coding isn't it their work, code the game?
    Lu4ERme.gif