Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ISO good tut videos

I've seen the basics videos but I'm looking for world creation videos that are more on the lines of a tutorial, not a speed build. Also, that is not the person stating right off the bat "I don't really know what I am doing." I've seen them thinking I might learn what not to do but they usually end up with something wonky saying they don't know how to fix it. If I make the same mistake, I want tips be able to fix it, not leave it looking funny.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

The Walkthrough and Tutorial on the download site has the basic information about CAW. What are you looking for besides the basic form, paint, lot placement, trees/plants, spawners, effects... test?
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    From watching the ones I have found on youtube would be to fix the things they say can't be fixed. Things like the lots not lining up with the lots properly and leaving gaps. I know is a way to not do that because I have downloaded worlds that didn't to that. I haven't messed around in CAW yet I want to figure out my layout before I get in there and mess around.

I haven't seen the walkthrough from the download site, I had CAW downloaded years ago but never messed with it until now.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I was able to tinker around in CAW and got my own questioned answered. Even experienced some glitching where the road would go all wonky and was able to figure it how to fix it. I do not know why I was afraid of CAW all these years. It really isn't that hard. Takes some getting used but everything else is based on my own creative skills.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    This isn't a video tutorial, but I've found the site's tutorials very helpful in the past: http://krrank.blogspot.com/p/caw-tutorial.html
    They're in depth about the basics with pictures.
  • Options
    Thank you thqat ia really helpful!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited February 2019
    Some of the information in those tutorials isn't good.

Camera routing: You don't need it for small island, you don't need it for big islands. You basically need it to give the illusion of it Not being an island. It doesn't need to be up to the edge of the land, either. It's should be more like a circle Around the map area you want to keep restricted also so the camera doesn't get stuck in a small pocket.
    -When or if you use the camera routing, remember it's to block the movement of the camera (and Sim) but not for the overhead view- it only stops it at the middle point of the view. You will be able to see over the land or water it covers. Like a bullseye, think of the view as the circle and the camera stops in the middle eye but you can see all that area. :)

There's some good info in the CAW Tutorial EA made. :)

*Roads don't have to be connected any more as long as they are next to each other, almost connected. :)
    We can now make them run into each other- like a y. :) It might not look good using roads with sidewalks and such. Dirt style roads work best.
    -Red lines in roads are locked roads.

*You don't have to have so many layers. You can do layers by areas- such as your City/Suburb- or by chunks, if you want.
    You can also have 2 layers if it's a small world. (I like trees/lots on it's own layer- but is it necessary for small worlds, no).
    -Also, layers can be placed within layers. If you want a layer for just your City area you can add a layer for trees, lots, objects on that one layer. :)

Just don't be afraid to try things and if you fail, think of it as learning. I will place money someone has already messed it up and has the answer, even if it's "you broke it."
    CAW makes 5 backups on it's own. IT will overwrite each one as you go. I rename my save at certain points.
    World_terrain (for when I'm sculpting) When I'm happy with it and want to move on, I give it a new ending.
    World_Paint
    World_Trees
    World_Roads
    World_Lots and so on. :)
  • Options
    I kind of figured out the whole the camera routing. It just didn't make sense to use it if I am making an island who would I block the camera routing. Distant terrain, yeah I can see that. It did help with the whole sunrise and sunset thing. Now I just have to figure out do I want the harbor to have a sunset set view or the beaches and resorts.

That is great info about the roads. I have been tinkering with them. The world I want to create is like an all in one and I am going to want dirt roads for the farming area. I haven't figured out how to do that part yet, I hven't got that fat yet. Basically, I am just tinkering around and learning the program. I know I will want to add some terrain paints.

I did notice all the backups it does and saving as in stages is a great tip. I do that often with other things I do. So much easier starting a previous save point as opposed to starting over if something goes wrong.

I've been watching other make worlds to get some design ideas. I know what I want to do but how I want to do it I do not know that point yet. I haven't seen anyone do what I want to do yet. I'm sure someone has, I just haven't seen it. It really all that original and is a lot like the area in which I live. With the addition of beach resorts, we don't have those here. One area will be a farming community, the main area will have the rabbit holes like city hall and thing like that. The harbor and resort areas will be different. The upper, middle and lower class living area will have community lots associated with those types of area. There will be a city section and suburb section. So I have a ton of planning to do. From the videos I have seen, I'm thinking I might be better using the large map so I have them spaced out.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´