Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA to release 20 new content drops and Expansions in fiscal 2020

catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
Doesn't sound good for Game and Stuffpacks cause they weren't mentioned. It sounds like Gamepacks and Stuffpacks are being replaced by free content drops.

Comments

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited February 2019
    Doesn't sound good for Game and Stuffpacks cause they weren't mentioned.

In previous financial reports, they call every part of DLC ''Expansion Packs''.

No way they are going to release a ton of (real) EP's in 1 year of time. Just 1, maaaaaaaaybe 2, and IF they are really ''generous'' maybe 3 at most.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

They mentioned this before in their financial reports, but every piece of DLC are ''Expansion Packs'' to them.

No way they are going to release a ton of (real) EP's in 1 year of time. 2, MAYBE 3 at most.
    I think what it meant is 2 EPs and 20 free content drops.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited February 2019
    rudy8292 wrote: »

They mentioned this before in their financial reports, but every piece of DLC are ''Expansion Packs'' to them.

No way they are going to release a ton of (real) EP's in 1 year of time. 2, MAYBE 3 at most.
    I think what it meant is 2 EPs and 20 free content drops.

Possibly. There is a lot of free content left needing to be dropped, so they better start dropping. ;)
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Well this is both heartening and disheartening.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    They better get a move on. Not a lot of time in a year, business-wise.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    "20 content drops across..."

Does that mean if they put out the same content for PC, mobile and console, there goes 3 of the 20? Then the same content for another round knocks out another 3 of the 20?
    Depending on how much free patch content is spread across, that may not leave a whole lot of meaty content.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited February 2019
    They better get a move on. Not a lot of time in a year, business-wise.

IIRC, FY 2020 doesn't start till April 1 -- I believe we're just finishing up FY 2019 this quarter.

GPs and SPs are likely being counted in the "expansion pack" category, since they expand the base game as well as the specific EP category does. So it may mean we'll be back to more free content (even if it's just challenges or little fun things, not necessarily actual content like we got in the Tuesday patch.

Kate's made it clear in Tweets that SPs and GPs are still A Thing -- it's likely that SPs might have had a bit of an overhaul after the poor reception of MFP, and maybe they were looking for a good theme for GPs. (It may mean they're working on a magic system that requires more resources than a GP so we could potentially see a modern reboot of Makin' Magic or similar magic system.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    The article says "20 new content drops and expansion packs", not "20 new content drops and X number expansion packs". I think the 20 will include any released packs.

Also, I would expect they count "Get Famous on PC!" and "Get Famous on Console!" as two separate drops given they are for separate devices with separate releases. That would reduce the number of free items/packs expected.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Doesn't sound good for Game and Stuffpacks cause they weren't mentioned. It sounds like Gamepacks and Stuffpacks are being replaced by free content drops.

Hopefully we'll see 2 EP's this year as well.

But those 20 content drops are all across not just TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited February 2019
    I LOVE free content. Why wouldn't I? I couldn't care less about not getting more stuff packs. Don't get me wrong, I own all of the packs, SP's included and I love new CAS but we get that with Expansions and Gp's .

The rest is speculation.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Shame it is not TS5 really. I mean by next year TS4 would be 5 years old and well, still not got your cars, Open World, proper teenagers, life like babies or even CASt. That is appalling :(

It does seem that they are moving away from TS4 though in the number of content coming for it.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Expect most of the content drops to be for mobile (both games) and console since it’s still missing some PC packs.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    @Anmirla That's what I would assume. I think 20 is a very generous estimate if it was instances of brand new generated content, and EXTREMELY generous if it's free content via patches (this IS EA we're talking about here, and "free" is a bit of a dirty word there), so I think that 20 includes patch content and packs for PC and consoles. It depends on whether they qualify Mobile as one of their content platforms, and also whether they consider XBoxOne and PS4 as separate content drops. So in reality, it could actually be a fancy way for them to inflate their numbers without actually releasing an overwhelming amount of new content.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm not really sure what this means, all I know is that one of those 20 content drops better be some improved babies.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    @TheGreatGorlon I believe (as others have said) that this also includes content for the other platforms that are on PC and haven't made it to them yet.
    My biggest concern is that we will get a bunch of fillers and be left starving for actual gameplay. :/
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I believe they are gearing up for Sims 5. The drops are the final stop gaps to Sims 4.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    So it's been a whole year now since we seen a game and stuff pack, are we not getting them any more? Because I was hoping for witches and I know they're not coming in no free content. ;) Are they still or are they not making any more game and stuff pack ? That is the question. Cuz these free content they're not cutting it.
    I mean, if they would've done the entire game as well as they've done Vampires, we all wouldn't need to worry, but they didn't so here we are.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Maybe this is all because of the backlash against MFPS. You all want better games with more stuff inside of them, and well, that means EPs only.
    The problem is is that TS4 was kind of a rushjob when it first came out. Now with all these additions, it's not as bad as it was, but it's still got a ton of room for improvement. The other problem though, is that EA seems to be going for quantity over quality and they're calling that improvement. It really isn't.
    edited February 2019
    The problem is is that TS4 was kind of a rushjob when it first came out. Now with all these additions, it's not as bad as it was, but it's still got a ton of room for improvement. The other problem though, is that EA seems to be going for quantity over quality and they're calling that improvement. It really isn't.

The publisher just seems to want to see numbers they don't care about the quality. I think the studios like Maxis care more about the quality of the product but when you have CEO's taking 5 grand a month of salary plus bonuses what can you expect? The studios and their games often don't have the budget that they should and then EA makes them rush things for release to get money faster within certain quarters so that they can tell their shareholders they are growing exponentially.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The publisher just seems to want to see numbers they don't care about the quality. I think the studios care more about the quality of the product but when you have CEO's taking 5 gran a month of salary plus bonuses what can you expect? The studios and their games often don't have the budget that they should and then EA makes them rush things for release to get money faster.

So it's essentially corporate greed then from the EA higher-ups?

The publisher just seems to want to see numbers they don't care about the quality. I think the studios care more about the quality of the product but when you have CEO's taking 5 gran a month of salary plus bonuses what can you expect? The studios and their games often don't have the budget that they should and then EA makes them rush things for release to get money faster.

I mean....it's EA, nothing really new.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I mean....it's EA, nothing really new.

True. Look, I just hope they'll let the SimGurus have more of a say but I'm not holding my breath right now.