Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those here who have the new Sim City game, is it any good?

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
It has been a very long time since I last played any of the SimCity games. I am thinking about buying it today, but I first wanted to find out from those who are on this forum that have it. Is it any good, and has EA worked out that horrible problem that I had read about when it was first released?

Comments

• Options
    xkaylanicolexxkaylanicolex Posts: 3,760 Member
    edited April 2013
    I don't have it but I'd like to try it. From the looks of the reviews I seen (did you watch LGR's?) it looks like Sim city 4 is more fun. But thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I didn't think of LG Review. After watching it, I think I'll wait and see if EA makes it better. Continuous internet connection does not appeal to me one bit, much less not being able to just play by my self.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm waiting for a really really good sale like C.yber Monday even if that means i have to wait for a while. 8) I've never played any of the Sim City games before. It looks interesting.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited April 2013
    The game is okay. The most annoying part are all of the darn updates that the game goes through.

The first time you play the game you have to wait at least 20 minutes for the initial updates to take place. Then, about once a week, the game will automatically update before you can play the game. In other words, the updates are mandatory, not optional.

As for game play, it is straight forward, lay down roads and build up your revenue. I will say that the game is certain not work the full amount. If you can find it discounted, then the game is probably a good value. The only issue I have ever had is with the game minimizing to the desktop, but that is due to my Wireless NIC card. Once I figured that out, and took care of that problem, I haven't had any issues with the game.

Every once in a while you might have a server error, or the game cannot connect to the serve. In those instances, I try and find another server.

These are my experiences with the game.
  • Options
    lotlot80lotlot80 Posts: 758 Member
    edited April 2013
    I brought Simcity, and in my opinion Simcity 4 is much better. However, if you really want the new one, I would wait for a sale.

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥

edited April 2013
    As someone who owns the game, I would say you're better off playing SimCity 4 or waiting for a really really good sale (like $19.99). The game is not worth anything more than that in its current state.

If you want a really good eye-opener, head over to the official forums and you will see that people are still very angry with it right now. Most people would tell you that, what has been coined as "The Forum Game" (posting, reading threads, and/or flaming away at others), has become more entertaining than the actual game. Sad really, but true. All I can say is that I'm grateful for the politeness in these forums and the great moderators that we have here, because the ones running that forum seem to act like instigators.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/4122.page;jsessionid=27D5F85F2E8228C8EFA0602C083ADC58

Why are people so angry? Well, there are still problems with the servers which result in the rolling back of your game to a previous save. Saving, by the way, is not up to you as a user. So if the servers decide to randomly boot you off and your game has not been saved recently to the "cloud", you miss whatever progress you have made. That's if you're lucky and can even open up your game without being told that the city is unsalvageable and you must abandon your city that you worked so hard building.

If that's not enough, unlike in previous versions, RCI (residential, commercial, and industrial) are not dependent on one another...which makes it feel very shallow. People have proven this by creating cities of over a million in population without any C or I. As long as you have a park here and there, it seems like that's all they need to be happy. The glass box engine is also a letdown. People do not go to the same house or job everyday. This causes crazy and chaotic traffic issues that are nearly game breaking if you have enough people living in the city. Then, there are several bugs which haven't been fixed that can cripple your city very quickly. A large patch has been promised that will fix some of the bugs, but who knows which ones and when it will come. The RCI will not be fixed, as the devs have already said that this works as intended. That alone is pretty much a deal breaker for most hardcore fans of the series. Without the interdependency of RCI, the game feels too easy and pointless.

Like I said, just visit the forums and read through some of the threads. You can then make a more informed decision of if and when to buy the game.
  • Options
    Kadaj316Kadaj316 Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the above, you really need to head over the official forums. However I believe that will probably put you off completely as it's just full of people complaining.

I have sympathy for the people having all the problems, I am one very lucky one who has barely had any. The game is very addictive, pretty to look at and I think putting it online to play with friends was a really good move.

It's probably correct that it's not entirely worth the price right now, though I am perfectly happy I know I'm in a minority. They've fixed a lot of stuff though and are working really hard.

I will add though, I have absolutely no idea how people can even compare this to Sim City 4. SC4 was hideously boring compared to this.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited April 2013
    I guess I may be lucky as I played through the horrible first days of online SimCity. It was pretty tedious getting into a server through which I built my first city. It's mostly if you can't get in on the server you had last, you may not see your city you built. I think they have pretty much fixed that issue, plus opening up many more servers...thank heavens.

Gameplay is good, for me anyway. I like how mayors can actually fill city coffers, unlike Sim City 4 which I always went broke, no matter what I did.

As for the goofballs who are making cities with C or I, that's just nuts. The whole idea of gameplay is getting a city to work successfully with all components. I had a blast "fixing" an abandoned city that was obviously built by an amateur. :lol:

I'm not sure about the $60 price tag, unless money isn't a problem. I bought it the day of release and kinda wish I'd waited until it went on sale.

I feel the all the hype/advertising/trailers/interviews, etc. was basically just building the game up and it doesn't necessarily play or look like all the stuff we saw before release.

I hope that helped you a litte. I still have fun with the game, I'm just more into my sims right now.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited April 2013
    I have it and I love it. I find it completely addicting. There are a few kinks they still have to fix, but I have faith in them. The one really big issue I have is that saves aren't done to all the servers, but just the one you're playing on. So if the server with your saves is down, you can play on a different server, but you'll have to start all new saves.

Don't listen to those that say you can't play alone, because you totally can. Just because it always needs an online connection (which isn't a big deal at all) doesn't mean you have to play online with other players. You can start a region privately and build cities in all the sectors if you want, or you can just play one city forever. No multiplayer required.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    I will sometimes play it on my phone. It’s free on mobile. I think it’s fun I just suck at it so I don’t play it often. But u should try it, it’s nothing like regular Sims by the way
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Me: *sees title* There's a new one?
    Me: *opens thead*
    Necro'd from 2013
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in extremely old threads, but thanks for calling it out. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2013, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top