Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    Probably not. I just keep coming back to 3. I took a break from all Sims for a few months. Tried to start playing 4 after I added Seasons thinking it would help the game. I got so bored. I added mods to it and it still bored me so much. I started up 3 and, omg, it was like coming home. I can play for hours and not get bored. There's so much to do. I am playing in Roaring Heights for the first time, plus I still have a couple more worlds I haven't fully explored. I also hope to eventually get the last 4 store worlds - which I should have gotten at least one instead of wasting my money on S4 seasons. :/

So, while I may take breaks every now and then, I will always find my way back to 3 sooner or later.

Completely done with EA

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    GemSixx wrote: »
    Probably not. I just keep coming back to 3. I took a break from all Sims for a few months. Tried to start playing 4 after I added Seasons thinking it would help the game. I got so bored. I added mods to it and it still bored me so much. I started up 3 and, omg, it was like coming home. I can play for hours and not get bored. There's so much to do. I am playing in Roaring Heights for the first time, plus I still have a couple more worlds I haven't fully explored. I also hope to eventually get the last 4 store worlds - which I should have gotten at least one instead of wasting my money on S4 seasons. :/

So, while I may take breaks every now and then, I will always find my way back to 3 sooner or later.

Sometimes a break from the game can help if your enthusiasm is beginning to wane. I would occasionally do that when playing TS2. Then you come back totally refreshed and ready to start anew. It also helps to still have plenty to do and explore. TS3 certainly has spoilt us as players as we now very high expectations of all sims games in gameplay and content. So I really hope you enjoy exploring new worlds. Roaring Heights is an excellent place to start :)

Also you are not alone in having TS4 packs you will probably not use again. I bought several in an effort to get into the game. As we both know that didn't help matters :(
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Hmm,

I wanted to like 4.I liked the careers and dining out, but the actual gameplay just lacked for me.I feel restricted, like there's not much to do in the world aside from collecting frogs and rocks.I liked having shops and restaurants, wish we had gotten that for TS3.I feel I can tell more stories with three than 4.

Lots of us wanted to like TS4 but somehow it didn't happen. Thank goodness TS3 has the beautiful open worlds and plenty to do outside the home lot. You are right though an Open for Business style pack for TS3 would have been fun. Perhaps if EA issues an upgraded version of the game this much desired feature could be included.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Hmm,

I wanted to like 4.I liked the careers and dining out, but the actual gameplay just lacked for me.I feel restricted, like there's not much to do in the world aside from collecting frogs and rocks.I liked having shops and restaurants, wish we had gotten that for TS3.I feel I can tell more stories with three than 4.

Lots of us wanted to like TS4 but somehow it didn't happen. Thank goodness TS3 has the beautiful open worlds and plenty to do outside the home lot. You are right though an Open for Business style pack for TS3 would have been fun. Perhaps if EA issues an upgraded version of the game this much desired feature could be included.

I was ready to move on from Sims 3. I'd done just about everything I wanted to do and was looking forward to Sims 4 with hopefully bigger and better features but a game that still included all that was good about Sims 1, 2 and 3.

That's not what we got.

• scrutyniscrutyni Posts: 49 Member
    I didn't play sims when I was younger, got TS3 on sale a couple years ago and got sucked into it, as one does. And by that time TS4 was already out for some time so I didn't really get the chance to have any expectations. I got TS4 recently on a better sale than it is now, and I can already see how for some styles of play and preferences TS4 does it better, but for many others TS3 still reigns supreme. So I'll probably switch between games often depending on how I want to play and even on what kind of Sims I want since the aesthetic is so different between the games.
    Current SimLit Blog (Rotational Play): https://newcrestsponsorsims4.home.blog/
    Rookie builder and casual Simmer || Gallery: https://tinyurl.com/ycummopq
    Hmm,

I was ready to move on from Sims 3. I'd done just about everything I wanted to do and was looking forward to Sims 4 with hopefully bigger and better features but a game that still included all that was good about Sims 1, 2 and 3.

That's not what we got.

Our expectations as existing sims players were not managed at all. The company wanted to take the game in a different direction. This is their right but I am not defending it. Yes the franchise has to be fresh and engaging but not at the expense of losing some of the best features which provide the most entertainment.

Sim enim est vita
    scrutyni wrote: »
    I didn't play sims when I was younger, got TS3 on sale a couple years ago and got plum into it, as one does. And by that time TS4 was already out for some time so I didn't really get the chance to have any expectations. I got TS4 recently on a better sale than it is now, and I can already see how for some styles of play and preferences TS4 does it better, but for many others TS3 still reigns supreme. So I'll probably switch between games often depending on how I want to play and even on what kind of Sims I want since the aesthetic is so different between the games.

Glad to hear you are enjoying both games. There are quite a few players who do, just as there are players who switch between TS2 and 3. Each gang does offer different things but I personally feel TS3 gives us the best of everything good about the sims.

Sim enim est vita
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    And about TS3 being unstable, it's not so much anymore - especially when all solutions and workarounds are well-published/provided. That was more true when it first came out in 2009, but all the computers since 2014 have caught up, with EA maintaining the game to run on the new models and graphics cards as they come out.
    No objections to anything you have said except this. EA isn't maintaining anything except the TS3 Store, the Exchange, and the server that accepts player logins (and still allows for Simporting and gifting). There hasn't been a meaningful patch released for TS3 or anything having to do with new graphics card compatibility in over five years now unless you count the mess that was made of the required Origin tie-in. The game can run fine on the newest cards with some fps capping effort on behalf of the player, and that's great, but let's not attribute credit for that which has happened all on its own. :)

Really? Because I have The Sims 3 on Origin and once in a while it gets an updated notification - nothing major that would jump it to 1.70 version or anything. *Shrug* It just seems to run better than when I first bought it and I do have more townies in the lots than before. Weird, but in a good way!
    As this is a thread about moving on from TS3, it might also be worth thinking about players who are moving back to TS3. I should imagine this might include players who have started with TS4 and now want to experience what the rest of us have been praising to the skies. I don't think age is a factor in all of this. The sims franchise as a whole has a universal appeal regardless of age, race or gender. Long may it continue.

I don't believe there was a computer game ever made that was totally bug free. Part of resolving any stability issue is understanding the specs for your chosen game and making sure your current hardware has the capacity to run it. A lot else can be resolved with mods but unless the computer is up to scratch then you are not going to get the full gaming experience. It can make gaming an expensive hobby and that's before you consider the possibility of a VR version :)

I agree! I think if your mind runs to puzzle-solving, fixing bugs in a computer game is kind of fun. But what I like about TS3 is that all its problems and their solutions are already well-documented and provided. I never had a problem finding any solution for it just by doing a search on the internet. Fixing the problems themselves don't take a lot of work either.

I've taken a look at games with VR and it just look like first-person perspective to me really except the hands are disembodied (which I don't like). It would be nice to have that FPP toggle in TS3 (or TS5 if EA continues the franchise) especially when driving or boating or windsurfing! Or anytime - like when your sims is talking to other sims, cooking and eating a meal, playing poker, climbing the wall, scuba diving, etc. etc.
  • RosemaryStarRosemaryStar Posts: 43 Member
    I would only move on from sims 3 if they added open world to sims 4 or announce sims 5 that has sims 4 mechanics/graphics with sims 3 open world. I only have to load sims 3 once while sims 4 every time you go to a new lot you have to load it. Plus I can go for a jog around the neighborhood while in sims 4 you have just the area in front of your house unless I'm doing something wrong?

I understood why they did it. They probably had to rewrite parts of the code and didn't want to deal with open world coding on top of that while building a different framework. :/

What a great idea for new store content. I would love to see some more fashionable clothes. Sadly though the store development team folded after the launch of TS4. Perhaps EA did not realise there would be a continuing interest from many TS3 players in completing their store sets etc.

That's a huge shame! I love The Sims 3 Store! I have almost everything except a few basic clothes. I can understand EA not wanting to add more clothes or furniture since there is so much great CC out already, but it would have been nice to add new worlds with totally different world items: different plants, rocks, rabbitholes, etc. Also new premium items that added different gameplay. Some of the things I miss from TS2 are the crafting objects for sewing (thus creating new clothes), flower arranging table, etc. that would have been nice to add to the store.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Let me see. Last time I got addicted to a game, it took me 7 years to stop playing completely. However, I still think of it and have plans to re-play it. What hinders me is that I want to finish a mod for it and it takes some time to be done.
    I've been playing TS3 since 2014. I take breaks, but it's hard to simply walk out on the game right now.

My long term love affair with the sims started with TS2. By the time I got to TS3 it was a way of life, Saturdays were for smiming when I was working. Now if I am kept away from my game as I am now by circs beyond my control I get distinctly cranky and bad tempered. I admire anyone who can produce mods or cc so I hope you get your mod finished. As for TS3 as a relatively new player you are lucky in having so much new to explore. Be warned though there will come a time when you won't be able to stop a gaming session without regret and you can't wait to fire up your game to see how the latest generation of sims turns out :D:D

@Bettyboop55 LOL I already get really curious when a new generation starts! XD
    Sometimes I get stuck, though. It's as if nothing is good enough for that generation. When that happens, I move on to another family and get back to that one later.
    Yesterday I was sort of upset because I didn't manage to play the game. But then, I decided not to keep that mood. I enjoyed some cartoons and I'll be playing pretty soon.
    I would only move on from sims 3 if they added open world to sims 4 or announce sims 5 that has sims 4 mechanics/graphics with sims 3 open world. I only have to load sims 3 once while sims 4 every time you go to a new lot you have to load it. Plus I can go for a jog around the neighborhood while in sims 4 you have just the area in front of your house unless I'm doing something wrong?

I understood why they did it. They probably had to rewrite parts of the code and didn't want to deal with open world coding on top of that while building a different framework. :/

The loading screens in TS2 used to exasperated me so I was not happy to see them back in TS4. It is one of the reasons I am staying with TS3 as I love the open wilds and the freedom it gives my sims. It was one of the selling points when TS3 was launched.

The company decided on a new game engine for TS4 which may not have the flexibility to support open worlds. The other thing which might prove a problem is the lack of expertise in the current development team. Most of the developers who gave us such beautiful detailed worlds in TS3 have long since moved on. Even more reason then, IMO, for staying with TS3 :D

Sim enim est vita
    Hello @ClarionOfJoy I can't comment on those players who use Steam but for those of us still using disk installations there are no EA updates available. The last updated version available to us is v1.67. There was a decision taken to only provide games digitally and not support those who wished to still use disks. It is still possible but getting increasingly difficult to get disks and you do need a pre 2012 base game but I intend to stick with the disks as long as possible. That way I can play offline and I can load as many packs as I want.

As mentioned the development team for the store folded and those responsible for the store worlds have moved on. We do however have a number of superb world builders both with a d without cc. For starters I would take a look at the world's Rflong has created.

Sim enim est vita
    Let me see. Last time I got addicted to a game, it took me 7 years to stop playing completely. However, I still think of it and have plans to re-play it. What hinders me is that I want to finish a mod for it and it takes some time to be done.
    I've been playing TS3 since 2014. I take breaks, but it's hard to simply walk out on the game right now.

My long term love affair with the sims started with TS2. By the time I got to TS3 it was a way of life, Saturdays were for smiming when I was working. Now if I am kept away from my game as I am now by circs beyond my control I get distinctly cranky and bad tempered. I admire anyone who can produce mods or cc so I hope you get your mod finished. As for TS3 as a relatively new player you are lucky in having so much new to explore. Be warned though there will come a time when you won't be able to stop a gaming session without regret and you can't wait to fire up your game to see how the latest generation of sims turns out :D:D

@Bettyboop55 LOL I already get really curious when a new generation starts! XD
    Sometimes I get stuck, though. It's as if nothing is good enough for that generation. When that happens, I move on to another family and get back to that one later.
    Yesterday I was sort of upset because I didn't manage to play the game. But then, I decided not to keep that mood. I enjoyed some cartoons and I'll be playing pretty soon.

I tend to lose interest by about generation 4 so I have several games I move between. However I am busy with a CAW project at the moment so very little time for gaming. I'm glad you decided to enjoy your time away from the sims. I don't watch many cartoons but I do like the Simpsons or an old Tom and Jerry.

Sim enim est vita
    Hello @ClarionOfJoy I can't comment on those players who use Steam but for those of us still using disk installations there are no EA updates available. The last updated version available to us is v1.67. There was a decision taken to only provide games digitally and not support those who wished to still use disks. It is still possible but getting increasingly difficult to get disks and you do need a pre 2012 base game but I intend to stick with the disks as long as possible. That way I can play offline and I can load as many packs as I want.

As mentioned the development team for the store folded and those responsible for the store worlds have moved on. We do however have a number of superb world builders both with a d without cc. For starters I would take a look at the world's Rflong has created.

Content: Yeah, those custom worlds and other CC are wonderful!!! This is one of the reasons why I love TS3 so much! EA must wonder why people keep playing TS3 for so long and why new ones are buying the game and its packs - it's because we get SO MUCH more out of it than any other The Sims iteration! If they want a successful, long running TS5 with long-lasting selling power like TS3 has, this is how it's done! Give us as much ability to customize everything with tons of gameplay and EA will be raking in the money for a long time to come!

1.69 Origin: Actually, you can load as many or all EPs/SPs you want into the 1.69 version - there is an option to turn off the message suggesting that you only load 2 or 3 EPs/SPs (because that's all it is - a suggestion; it can't prevent you from loading more once you turn off the message). You can also play offline as well (there's an option to go offline in the Origin client as well as within the game). But I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't want their TS3 game tethered to EA's Origin.

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2019
    I decided to leave TS3 for TS4, and have a great experience with the game, now that I kinda get bored with TS4 and I went back to my TS3 game, but boy even in the new save and world fixes I still get stutter and lags and I decided to cancel my plan to play TS3 again, I didn't know why I had the patience to endure the lag and long load time back then but it was probably because I hade no other good games to play or I get attached with my sims family.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »
    I decided to leave TS3 for TS4, and have a great experience with the game, now that I kinda get bored with TS4 and I went back to my TS3 game, but boy even in the new save and world fixes I still get stutter and lags and I decided to cancel my plan to play TS3 again, I didn't know why I had the patience to endure the lag and long load time back then but it was probably because I hade no other good games to play or I get attached with my sims family.

I'm sorry to hear you have given up on TS3 because of the lag and stuttering. There are a number of things which can be done to eliminate these problems and I am sure if you ask in the Tech section there is a solution to suit you. Then you will be in a position to play both games and there are quite a few simmers around who are perfectly happy switching between the two games as the mood takes them.

Sim enim est vita

Content: Yeah, those custom worlds and other CC are wonderful!!! This is one of the reasons why I love TS3 so much! EA must wonder why people keep playing TS3 for so long and why new ones are buying the game and its packs - it's because we get SO MUCH more out of it than any other The Sims iteration! If they want a successful, long running TS5 with long-lasting selling power like TS3 has, this is how it's done! Give us as much ability to customize everything with tons of gameplay and EA will be raking in the money for a long time to come!

1.69 Origin: Actually, you can load as many or all EPs/SPs you want into the 1.69 version - there is an option to turn off the message suggesting that you only load 2 or 3 EPs/SPs (because that's all it is - a suggestion; it can't prevent you from loading more once you turn off the message). You can also play offline as well (there's an option to go offline in the Origin client as well as within the game). But I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't want their TS3 game tethered to EA's Origin.

Friends have mentioned it is now possible to load all your packs when playing through Origin. What would worry me was the possibility that EA might change that arrangement at a later date. I must admit I had completely forgotten that you can play offline via Origin. I think for now I will stick with the disks. They are what I am used to.

Sim enim est vita
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Friends have mentioned it is now possible to load all your packs when playing through Origin. What would worry me was the possibility that EA might change that arrangement at a later date. I must admit I had completely forgotten that you can play offline via Origin. I think for now I will stick with the disks. They are what I am used to.
    They can't really enforce that without a tremendous amount of inconvenience and pain being inflicted. If a player were suddenly unable to load up all of their desired packs, then chances are their already in progress ongoing games would no longer be playable as many of the EPs are required to stay in place in order for a saved game that has "seen" them to load.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor what you say is true and it would be a plum inconvenience but ultimate control over what you may or may not load rests with the company. By using disks I retain ultimate control even if I have the plum inconvIence of having a game no longer maintained by the company. Undoubtedly digital gaming is how it will work in the future but for those of us old enough to remember ping pong installed via a floppy disk a cd installation is as far as we want to go for now.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I just can’t help wondering sometimes how many people try to play GTA 5 on a laptop and blame the game if it turns out they can’t.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I just can’t help wondering sometimes how many people try to play GTA 5 on a laptop and blame the game if it turns out they can’t.
    Three. Although there is a slight chance that the mechanism in place to count such unhappy customers is under-counting them slightly. >:)

But seriously, I do imagine that casting the blame in the wrong direction is a much lower percentage of those with issues related to insufficient systems on higher end by reputation games than it is for those in the Sims series.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2019
    @igazor Hahahaha, I believe you of course (three) :p
    (must admit it is an actual frustration for me, loving this game so much and seeing this argument all the time, while my son finds it completely normal he had to work and save money to be able to play certain games that wouldn't run on his old rig; do I love the wrong game I wonder)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Sims 3: remastered 64bit version would make me stop playing Sims 3 original

Other than that no, nothing. NOTHING.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D