Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you find the Sims 4 challenging?

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Seldom
    The most challenging thing I had to do was raise triplets in a starter house with barely any money, but otherwise the game is pretty manageable
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Often
    The Sims is a sandbox game. None of them were ever very challenging. And I'm not sure why anyone would demands lots of blockades, challenges or competition from a sandbox game.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Never
    Not really. I can get so stressed out while playing Sims 2 or Sims 3. And I like that. lol Call me crazy. But that level of challenge just isn't there for me with Sims 4.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Never
    Perhaps the easiest in the series.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Never
    It’s the easiest game in the series by far.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Sometimes
    There are certain things that take time, which is what makes it sometimes challenging. There are times I'm tempted to cheat, but I try as much as possible to stick with it and do it the hard way. I got stuck on the doctor career. If I recall, it took about four or five weeks (real time) for my sim to finally get a patient who had to deliver. She needed this in order to get promoted to the next level. Completing collections or maxing a skill can also take a lot of time and patience. I remember one of my sims struggled to catch the red tailed shark to complete his fish collection, and that took a looong time. My archeologist still hasn't found or assembled all the relics yet.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Seldom
    Rarely. The only thing that's challenging is trying to secure 20 votes for my politician sim. It's been stuck there for months but also cuz I don't play the game that often. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Seldom
    Mostly the challenge for me is related to my computer being slow and the game lagging, lol!
    Career/aspiration-wise I find all the outdoor and collector ones challenging, because it's hard to find all plants/fish etc.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited January 2019
    Sometimes
    Only when I'm playing a 8 sim family which happens every few generations.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Seldom
    It’s always challenging when first starting a brand new sim with no skills and no aspiration rewards, for the first bit.

BUT, besides that it depends on life span and household size. If those people saying it has no challenge played on short lifespan with a full family I’m sure they would change their opinions.

However, personally, I play with aging off. Because for me I want it to be super casual. If I want a high apm and frantic challenge I’d play Starcraft or overwatch.

But then again they could mean something different, they could mean the game has absolutely no system for failure or rejection. Like there is zero chance at failing at love or a career. As it is, you don’t get promoted at work you just get it the next day (or the day after). You could have a clumsy sim be the top athlete. There is zero chance at failing at love. Sure a few advances might get rejected, but just keep flirting and eventually you can make any sim fall for you.

If that’s what they mean then I 100% agree with them.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Often
    Having said that, sims 4 has plenty of challenge if you're not cheating imo. My sim has bought a vet clinic with the simoleons she earned from her Tomb adventure. And its taking some effort to become profitable. At this moment, Im not sure owning a vet clinic is a great money making venture.

There is definitely some challenge to things. Even exploring the tombs has challenges
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Sometimes
    With the advent of GF, it can be very challenging. Especially if you leave toddlers behind to follow the active star to work. Even leaving another adult with those tots doesn't keep them in the green, if you will. I use mods and it just occurred to me one of the things I could do to avoid the toddlers massive needs drain, is to cheat them all up, and then select disable needs decay, for the time the active Sim is away from the home lot and then to enable needs decay once the active Sim is home again. Hate to do it that way, as I try never to use that cheat on the toddlers, but what can you do when most of their needs are yellow and/or red when your active Sim returns? I do wish the devs could add an option to the adult left behind to 'care for toddlers' needs'. Even when they come back from Daycare, I've found them in distress.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JujuAwesomeBeansJujuAwesomeBeans Posts: 85 Member
    Often
    I picked often, guessing this meant without cheats on. I always end up with a full house rather quickly, and it is pretty hard to keep everyone happy. But, I like it! That is real life. It would be incredibly boring if sims were one flat mood constantly, with zero negative scenarios or repercussions in their lives.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Never
    Having said that, sims 4 has plenty of challenge if you're not cheating imo. My sim has bought a vet clinic with the simoleons she earned from her Tomb adventure. And its taking some effort to become profitable. At this moment, Im not sure owning a vet clinic is a great money making venture.

There is definitely some challenge to things. Even exploring the tombs has challenges

Making a profit in retail/vet is only “challenging” because of the horrible A.I. of the game. You pick up the slack for any employee you have because the A.I. does not cut it and they do not reliably do their job. I found the tomb exploration simple as well in 4, but that’s a non-issue for me. Sims 3 WA had a better puzzle system for their tombs, but also wasn’t challenging.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited February 2019
    It's up to the player to make it challenging. If that is what one feels it should be. If I want challenge from gaming, I go to other games. The Sims is relaxation to me :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Seldom
    Playing the game as-is isn’t challenging for me, but that’s fine. There are other games I can play if I want a challenge.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes
    We can see that this is not a challenging game for most of us. Hopefully the gurus will be aware of this, that's all I can wish for us.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Often
    I don't play sims for a challenge. I don't do the challenges for that reason. I use it to relax and have fun. Any drama I have in the game I provide and it is exciting for awhile...and then the game can throw me a curve, like a set of triplets followed by a set of twins! To me, that's a challenge! :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited February 2019
    Seldom
    It's only challenging to me if I impose rules upon myself, like playing a household with a crapton of vampires and not letting them ever buy blood packs and such.

That said, I don't find that to be a bad thing.
  • Options
    ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2019
    Seldom
    I only have Sims 3 to compare it to, as that is the only other sims game I've played. I would say Sims 4 is much easier compared to Sims 3, but at the same time I think that can make it more enjoyable in some ways, as it allows you to relax a little bit and get the opportunity to do something more fun with your sims sometimes.

Sims is really my game to relax with though, so I don't really mind. I prefer it to not be challenging, so that I can have fun with it. It's what I play to unwind and utilize some creativity with building and making over sims. If I want excitement, I'll play some Mario Kart....that game gets me competitive!
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Almost always
    I find the game very challenging if you raise children and want them to acquire as many traits and aspirations as possible. I never managed to get more than 3 characters values (mostly responsibility, manners and empathy). I also never completed a collection.
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    Sometimes
    I laugh when people think it us challenging. It is way TOO EASY to make money in this iteration. The emotions are meaningless. It is too easy to manipulate the death outcomes, if I want certain sims dead too.

I do agree with this. I wish that making money was a little more realistic. A level 10 doctor makes $2800 a day, but my sim makes $12000 every day harvesting their garden!!! I tried the Legacy "Challenge", but at this point I've "given up" because my family makes so much money without even trying. Seasons helped temper gardening, but the money sims make from painting, harvesting collectibles, and writing needs to be put in check.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Sometimes
    It can be pretty stressful at times, like when you have a lot of kids, just like in real life.😅 I use the pause button all the time so that helps.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    Never
    It's really hard to make enemies in TS4. Sims will continue idle chatting and making friendly interactions autonomously no matter how many insults you tell them, so it's very easy to make friends with other sims. But in this game you don't even need to have friends, they took that career demand one month or two after the release of the game.

Plus, it's very easy to go by. Collectables alone give you enough money for sims to survive, although you don't even need money to survive, and the fact that skills automatically start at level 1 makes things super easy.

The game is designed to be easy and cakey.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2019
    Often
    I enjoy playing the sims but there are times I find the game very challenging. It is not because of the game itself but the bugs. I often have to find workarounds for various bug situations and sometimes have to take a break from the game altogether. I feel like this has improved somewhat. This is the most challenging aspect of the game in my opinion.