Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide when enough is enough?

Comments

• Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I’d say 3 kids. It used to be 2, but my sims tend to have twins a lot, making them have 3 kids in 2 births.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    It depends for me on the couple and what their career/aspirations are. If my couple are low on money and it will take them a while to build up to a solid career, usually 1-2 kids is more than enough. However, if they're good on money and have a well-paying job they'll stick with, I might go for 3-4.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    IIRC, 6 is the most I've done in any Sims game. And oftentimes that meant that either some of the siblings had to move out or that the grandparents are already gone.

On average, I do about 2-3.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    My sims usually have between 2 and 3 children. I find those to be the magic numbers. Several, but still controllable. If any of the children grow up and move out, I'd sometimes either make another one or adopt so that the parents would have some new spark in the family.
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    For those of you with multi-generation families, how do you play "rotationally"? Do you keep aging off or set to long? I've tried this, but after about 2 generations I find that it takes so long to get back around the rotation that I've missed half of my sim's life. Not to mention I find it impossible to level up in careers this way.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    ctthomas wrote: »
    For those of you with multi-generation families, how do you play "rotationally"? Do you keep aging off or set to long? I've tried this, but after about 2 generations I find that it takes so long to get back around the rotation that I've missed half of my sim's life. Not to mention I find it impossible to level up in careers this way.

Set aging for played sims to "only active household," and set households of moved-out family members I've lost interest in as unplayed, with aging on for unplayed sims.
  • Options
    GeniusSimmerGirlGeniusSimmerGirl Posts: 68 Member
    I don't have what I consider a "magic" number, however almost all of my gameplay saves started out with a couple and ended with them having a ton of kids. (At least 4, usually 5 or more though) It takes a lot of self control for me to be happy with only a few kids. I don't think I've had more than 5 families with 3 or less kids. I just started a new save with a single woman and I will try to keep her from having more than three kids, though if I will follow through with that remains to be seen. :D Wish me luck!
    My origin ID is quiverfullsims | My simblr can be found here. It follows the Rowan family- an extremely conservative clan with nearly 17 children.
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    @GeniusSimmerGirl that’s very interesting... I tend to stick with smaller families. I would say, unlike you, 5 is my absolute max, and I have only had close to 5 once and it was very chaotic. I used to think I liked big families with lots of kids more, but it turns out I just like pregnant sims XD Wishing you luck though... you might end up like me and change over from large to small families. For example, I currently play 3 families and they all have 1 child except one of them who I gave a second child because of the marriage had failed and the wife got remarried.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    In my new game I'm planning to only have one child in each generation unless I get unexpected twins or triplets. I think it will just be easier to manage things this way.
  • Options
    ctthomas wrote: »

I play 3 families, and I used Mcc to set lifespan to about double normal lifespan and I play rotationally like that. I find it’s just enough time for me to play with my sims without playing bored.
  • Options
    angelicsamuraiangelicsamurai Posts: 41 Member
    My first family had 2 girls a few months apart, with 1 left at home and the other one was "evicted" for being naughty and was homeless for a while... as she started making money, she accidently got herself pregnant when she forgot to take precautions and now has to raise twins by herself... Think i can just about handle 1 adult and 2 children before i'd pull my hair house with stress!!
  • Options
    MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    When I start to get overwhelmed by the amount of children, which varies depending on the ages. I play with MCCC and my household is set to max 20 (or 25, whatever the max is), so I've had... a lot. I think the most I've ever had is 12 (where they were all teens and below) but usually my golden number is between 2 and 4. Sometimes I'll have siblings live together as adults, so I may have cousins living together at one point too.
  • Options
    @Mindsimscreate thanks! That sim I was talking about actually just had her daughter Owen. I have decided that Owen will probably be her only kid and oddly enough, I am actually okay with that!
    My origin ID is quiverfullsims | My simblr can be found here. It follows the Rowan family- an extremely conservative clan with nearly 17 children.
  • Options
    YammzzYammzz Posts: 25 Member
    I usually aim for 2 max. Anything more than that and I become overwhelmed.
  • Options
    @GeniusSimmerGirl Of course :) What really changed my mind is when I realized I was fine with watching 4-9 children grow, but I was only fine with parenting 1-2. What I mean by this is watching 4-9 children grow up with C grades in school, no toddler skills when I’m actually obssesed with maxing them in order for max traits, no family moments (like vacations), no cute screenshots, no staying up late and building forts with their sibling (if they have one) while their parents are out for Friday date night, etc... there was just no reason for even bringing children into the world if they are all the same, monotonous copy of failure.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Every household of mine is different. Some may have one to two kids, others quite a handful. I think in my biggest household, they have nearly ten children.
    I have so many households that I play, I couldn’t allow them all to be the same.
  • Options
    seaprincesshipstseaprincesshipst Posts: 19 Member
    I feel like if I want to focus on the kids I have to limit it to two. I like three, but then one kid will get ignored so.
  • Options
    @Mindsimscreate You are so right! Having only one kid allowed me to work on Belllatrix's (Owen's mom) career, Owen's skills, and their personalities. Owen is now a teen and Bellatrix is now an elder but I am still having the most fun on TS4 that I've have in a while! I think Owen will try to have 2 kids, going along with my aim for this family line, which is to have no more than 3 kids per person. I still will have 4+ kids in my other families but this save has really been an eye-opener to new play styles. :p (you can find a link to the family tree here if you're interested)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I usually have a rough idea about how many children (if any) a couple will have. For me it all depends on the story, the characters and their personality and lifestyle. My couples usually have 1 - 3 children maximum as I think any more would make it less fun and mean some sims get kind of forgotten. The only household I'm not entirely sure on is my main one. They only have one daughter (now a toddler), who in the story was a fairy/changeling baby that was left on their doorstep as a 'gift'. They never intended to keep her, but became so attached they eventually decided to adopt her and are now a nice little supernatural family unit trying their best to be just any normal human family. I am still debating whether they should adopt an older son now with the wishing well. Everything works quite well with just one child as it allows me to devote lots of time to each sim, plus I play with ageing off. The parents are very different too - one being a good vampire who really wouldn't want the mess or stress of more children (although ironically he is the more 'maternal' of the two), and the other being a werewolf who has always wanted and would love a big happy family with lots of children. He might be able to persuade his vampire that they could give another supernatural child a normal, safe and loving home, but I'm not sure yet. Perhaps they should just adopt a furry son i.e. dog or cat instead? :)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @GeniusSimmerGirl Akira Kibo is in your family too? That surprised me because he’s involved in my family. My family is complicated because my sim, Gina Busby, was in a relationship with Mark Eggleston and had a child with him. He ended up cheating on her with Yuki Behr, and had a child with her as well! Yuki’s sister Candy had a child with Akira Kibo named Christopher. So are Christopher and Owen half siblings? 😂 Besides that, it was also an eye opener to me when I first tried a smaller family. Though my current family is quite jumbled, I consider it three families because they don’t all live together. My sim and her new husband had another child, so I am raising two kids right now. It’s just easier to handle. Also, if Owen is already a teenager, and she was just born the other day, how fast are you playing? I’m trying to find the right lifespan for me and am curious of what others play on.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @Mindsimscreate I play on a short lifespan, though I did play pretty much all day yesterday, so that probably has something to do with it as well. :D I use it because I get tired of the life stages before the sims are ready to age up otherwise. Your whole family situation sounds complicated! I don't do divorces and affairs and things like that because...well I'm not sure I just don't, however I think I may eventually try doing something like that in the Ambrose family.
  • Options
    SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 73 Member
    For the first few generations normally 2-3 so the family grows quicker but in later generations I try to have less so that not the hole town is filled with my sims.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I’d say 3 kids. It used to be 2, but my sims tend to have twins a lot, making them have 3 kids in 2 births.

Update: I successfully raised 4 kids from birth to young adulthood in one of my saves. It was actually really fun!
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Enough is when my household is too full to add more Sims! Sometimes that means kids, but usually it means kids and their spouses and sometimes their kids and spouses too. I have a hard time letting go of my Sim-kids, so I just move more people in instead of moving anyone out.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I let my Sims decide. The number ranges anywhere from 0 to 7. My current family just had twins from alien abduction, so of course those were unplanned. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: