Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide when enough is enough?

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2019
    My sims only has kids when most of them are already dead or old or if it already too long since the last time he has a kid. but I really prefer to only have single kid so that the relationship between my sim and his son/daughter really close, having too many kids in one time make my sim too lazy to raise their kid and teach them childhood skills. currently my sim has 11 kids 3 of whom already died of old age, 5 of which including my avatar are turned vampires usually by my sim, 1 is born vampire, the rest still alive elder or close to elder. I think 1 or 2 kid is more than enough raising a toddler is a nightmare let alone two or more.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited March 2019
    My sims don’t have too many.
    Post edited by Mindsimscreate on
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    @izecson 1 kid at a time? Wow, I have to say I probably couldn't play that game style. My sims have 3 children right now and are pregnant with a 4th. I don't plan on them stopping anytime soon and want them to have at least one more pregnancy after this, probably 2.

It's overwhelming to have more than 2 kids and I tend to get attached in only one of the kids and I dont really want my sim who supposed to be a good father only tending one kid and help them learn skills while I let the other one play and learn by themselves
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    edited January 2019
    In my game there is a long going DNA routine. My sims are so and so fertile, and I use a dice to decide whether they shall try for baby or not. At some point they will never try again. If fertility is low, they might stopp earlier.

In other words - I will always know when enough is enough :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've always left it up to my sims. Though I do use mods that allow them to practice birth control, accidents happen, and other times my sims will get the want to have either their first child, or another one. My largest family was the Picaso's from Sims 2 and I recreated them in the sims 3, they had 7 kids and they were expecting baby number 8 when my game got messed up. Right now in my Sims 4 game, currently my largest family is at 5 kids. And I'm hoping they are done. Because every time her hubby looks at her she's pregnant again. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited January 2019
    Usually I go with 2 or 3, every now and then I'll go for 6 but no more than that. Really just depends on how I feel and how attached I am to the family.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    2 to 3 in most saves but it does depend on the family for sure. For instance I have two very involved in their career sims in brindleton bay, didn’t make sense for them to have more than one child. But another family has three because moms aspiration is the family one which requires three kids at least.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I usually plan ahead how many kids a family is going to try for. It's never more than three, with the exception of when I did the toddler mania challenge. And if a family does have three, dang it, they are going to get that Big Happy Family aspiration whether they like it or not! It's too useful. ^_^

Of course, sometimes the game messes with me and gives me triplets when I was only trying for one. >.<
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    4 is max but I usually stick to 2. As much as I'd like to carry on, I can't devote as much time to each one if I have lots. That's what I keep in mind to stop myself.
    It also depends on the couples, some would want a big family and others would be happy with just 1 or 2. So I stop when it feels forced.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited January 2019
    I usually only let my sims have one or two kids, as I prefer smaller families. But I do have MCCC's Risky Woohoo set to 5%, so there's always a chance they'll accidentally have more. Abductions are a possibility, too. For example, I had one sim who was only supposed to have one kid, and she ended up pregnant with twins the first time. Then she had a brief fling with a townie and ended up pregnant by him because of Risky Woohoo. Finally, she was abducted and ended up with a child from that. So one kid turned into four because the game apparently did not agree with my plans for that sim.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • HelenaKapselHelenaKapsel Posts: 18 Member
    I usually only have 2 children. Twins if I feel like getting it over with faster. But lately I've tried to have more children, just to see what I can actually manage. Still a work in progress. But 2 feels like a magic number to me.
  • LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    Generally I go with an heir and a spare. I am not really into raising a lot of kids, I'd rather play a young adult or adult.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited February 2019
    When the household is at the 8 Sim limit, then that is enough :lol:
    In my families that's usually four kids, 2 parents, and 2 grandparents.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • IreneLudwigIreneLudwig Posts: 125 Member
    I usually give my Sims no more than 2 kids because it's easier to manage the household. I also have attachment issues, which means that I'm not capable to choose one heir and ignore the other sibling, so having just 2 kids is better for my rotational gameplay. The only exception is with my Decades Challenge family, in which my founders had 6 kids. Boy, was that messy! It was worth it, though, I love seeing their complicated family tree.
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    I use MCCC, so with risky woohoo at 8% and autonomous woohoo active, I just use Try For Baby once to get an heir and let fate decide the rest. It's rare for me to end up with more than 2 unless a particular challenge calls for more.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    All my characters are predetermined, I planned out family trees before I've even made the 1st generation in the game

and then it depends on the Family

For my Main Household, the King Family, I knew the last generation would be 2 kids. because this family reflects my life.
    Lola had a illegitimate son, Douglas; Douglas had Trent, (Still debating if I want him to have siblings tho); Trent Marries Julia and Has Mason and Desiree

For the Jordan Family, my biggest fully developed family, they are my wealthiest, of werewolves, The first generation only having 3 kids, Bruno, Maribel and Caleb, the entire family is basically slaughtered in 1881, Caleb Survives, spends the next hundred or so years as a wolf in the ruins of his abandoned Mansion, and is rehabilitated into modern society as Caleb Jordan Jr. he has six sons, with his wife Roxanne,
    Aiden, Cain and Wren (Triplets)
    Orion and Zane (Twins)
    Tyron (Oops We drank to much and got pregnant in Paris but we thank God for him)
    But, this was because This story was a "Beauty and the Beast" type of Story Girl who longs for adventure, comes across a rundown mansion, finds a literal beast, a werewolf that almost kills her, finds out the beast is a Human, who had his world burned before his eyes, with the Help of Julia King, She restores his humanity, and helps rebuild his Family, and Pack.

The Dior Family, Usually a Small family, it was Dustin and Amara the First generation. By the way This family is guilty of murdering Caleb Jordan's original Family. it's a Vendetta because Adam Jordan, Caleb's Father Killed Dustin Dior, So Amara age 16 Taught revenge and led a raid on the Jordan mansion. and the Family became Hunters for all Magical Creatures.
    Amara had a Son, Kieron; Kieron had two kids Chase and Catherine; and then Chase had a Daughter named Aria... who is dating My Character Mason.

For the Hogan family, I thought Thomas and Jerome should adopt Garrett and Flynn, one of the two whom are antagonists of my story

For the Navarro Family its pretty small. there was a lot of sleeping around though.

Anyway, Most of the Houses that play second roles to my main houses aren't that developed in generations and siblings. it's usually one or two.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    For me it changes from household to household and comes natural. I don't really pre-plan things like that very much unless I find it necessary to the story I am thinking of for that household. I like lots of variety and every household to be different than the others.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,461 Member
    All of my life I wanted 4-6 kids. Somewhere along the way I settled on the number 5. It really depends on which family I'm playing. The characters from the books in my siggie, my O/C was 1 of 5 kids. My O/C had 5, ultimately although they're not fully mentioned until the Epilogue. Her oldest brother had 1 at the time my story begins and her next older brother was just getting married. Second brother is my singer Sim. He was a struggling musician in the book and unmarried at that time. When I played him in Sims3, he ultimately ended up with 5. Just feels like a right number to me.

As for my other save, it's tons more. But then again it's my Ancestral save and they had babies, lots of them back in the 18th century colonial America. My own 6th great-grandfather was the father of 18 altogether. This was between two wives (and no, he didn't have them at the same time. My 6th great-grandmother passed away after her tenth child.) He married again, because that's what a man did in that time frame. He had ten children ranging from newborn up to 17 years old. They needed a mother, at least the little ones did. So, I fill up the households in that game save.

If you're truly unable to decide, you could always roll the dice to set how many a certain household would have. If that gives you more than you can handle, you can always take the family into cas.fulleditmode and delete a few. This won't cause your Sims any pain, I've discovered. I use MCCC and once upon a time we could have more than 8 on a lot. But, you were cautioned not to take the family into CAS, as normal. The number beyond 8 Sims would be removed instantly. I forgot this once and lost three toddlers. Family wasn't in mourning — at all. I'm the only one who was troubled by it!

I hope this has helped you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Usually 2-4. I rarely do 1, but that's just because I have siblings and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Three is most common because it'll fulfill the big happy family aspiration, and I can have a good variety of people to play. However, with both parents, some may feel that five is too many people. If I were you I'd take into consideration a few things to help you decide:

1. Aspirations and number of kids you may need to fulfill them
    2. How many people you like to play in a household
    3. House space: if you don't mind building or moving you can have more kids. If you don't want to do either, then limit the number of kids.
    4. How many really young kids you want at once. If you're up for the challenge, have a few kids in a row. If it's too stressful have one or two spaced apart. This way as they age you can decide if you want to add to the family or if you feel they're at a good number.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I usually let my sims decide. Any time they get the whim to have a baby I let them try for one. They usually have as many children as they want until there isn't any room in the house or they get too old.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Typically, I don't play with kids because I find the whole concept stressful. It takes away time and focus from the parents whom I give the most attention since they stick with me and never age. My couple has had many kids though over the time, but the fun quickly dissipates for me and I either delete them or move them out if they are grown up. They've had, I think, three or four at the same time at most. So that is my limit, I guess.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Probably 4 in a household is a nice number, but unfortunately the game has a sense of humor. Currently my loner Tristan, who used to be socially awkward is now the father of 4 children, 3 vamps and 1 normal sim...guess he got over his shyness, lol. With 5 in the house, I found it's not so bad, but of course, now they are all teens. :D

I used to avoid kids like the plague, couldn't see what the attraction is, but I'm coming along nicely. I still have my couples and singles, one of whom probably won't be getting married, but she will have animals. I'm like Reg, I like diversity.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    I usually intend two, but aliens tend to insist my dude have at least four.

(I don't actually mind this, if I did I'd reset him when he's getting abducted. :P)
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I play long life rotational & had a bad habit of always maxing out the households (two parents, six kids). I was almost on my way to doing that with my newer save I'm playing now. Then today at work it occurred to me, each rotation is four sim weeks, or 1 "year" (4 seasons), so I decided they can have as many children as they like in the first "year" of their marriage/relationship, but then that's it. The first family I played had three children, my current household has two, with about a week & a half on their current rotation. Abduction children will be the exception. We'll see how it works out, I can't seem to say no when they roll a try for baby wish.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    When the heir is born I'm done normally. I go into CAS real quick to check what the kids look like as grown ups.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)