Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    that's true the sims 3 even had a loner trait
    giphy.gif
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    I honestly gave TS4 a shot...bought some packs...didn't care for it. Went back to TS3. I don't foresee a TS5 anytime soon, and there is so much that I still want to purchase for TS3 that I am grateful that the store still exists. I don't want to move on...EVER. I don't know if my computer could handle a newer version anyway.
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I honestly gave TS4 a shot...bought some packs...didn't care for it. Went back to TS3. I don't foresee a TS5 anytime soon, and there is so much that I still want to purchase for TS3 that I am grateful that the store still exists. I don't want to move on...EVER. I don't know if my computer could handle a newer version anyway.

I must admit to being surprised to see this old thread back again but believe the topic is still relevant.

There are quite a few TS3 players who have found their way back to the game after trying TS4. I also know there are some players who have never tried TS 4 and others who play both games quite happily. Luckily for all of us there is a game to suit most tastes and I belive TS3 offers the greatest variety. Whether you are a creative or someone simply looking for a game which offers a wide range of gameplay there is plenty of content to support you. Then in addition you still have an active modding and cc creator community. Long may it continue.

I think as long as you happy with TS3 then there is no point in worrying too much about compatibility for your computer with future games. Most TS3 players know you need reasonably decent computer specs to play the game. This is not the case for TS4 so it is doubtful the company would reverse this decision for any future games. Either way for most TS3 players a future game would have to be something very special indeed to make us move on.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    Honestly, I don't think so. I could change what my 'main' Sims game is, but I play 2-4 and enjoy them all, so I don't really see giving up 3. They all have something different to offer, so Sims 5 would basically need to be an improved Sims 3 for me to completely give it up.
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    Well one thing is for sure, this discussion proves that even now interest in TS3 is more alive than ever and talking about a theoretical alternative just reignited my own enjoyment of TS3 gameplay. The fact that TS3 is such a great game is probably a curse just as much as it is a blessing because it leaves huge shoes to fill, and any kind of follow-up would have to be quite spectacular. My advice to any developers would be to read discussions like these and see how they could just make what we have better.
    giphy.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    What I said in June 2018 still stands.
    Screenshot-126.jpg
    Kinda hard to game if I'm dead.

Unless they built a much better TS5 (open world, ability to edit terrain and create lakes, a world-editor better than CAW)...essentially TS3 on steroids in 64bit with the ability to explore a lot of ground in the game; ability to create cc for the game...and a return to a more realistic style of Sim - enough with the cartoony, emotion-driven messy ~insert synonym for bodily function here~. If I wanted to see "Academy of Silly Walks", I'd go watch Monty Python.

Would like to see them go a lot more in-depth into Sims - make a better emotion system and less of it dependent on objects to raise their mood (sure they might have some effect, but not to the extent where they go ballistically happy when they walk into a room, when their significant other kicked the bucket) - in that respect I like the traits better. At least you know that Beau Andrews was a slob and that Victoria was so fed up she was about to divorce him (if your sim talks to him, he'll burp in your face) or Jared Frio was a donkey's hind-end or that Jamie Jolina played the field and they did (or at least the notifications told you.) Sims 3 Sims aren't robotic, they have subtle emotions, more in line with how people in real life react. There are some people that you can't get a read on no matter how much you try and their emotions are so well-contained that outwardly they don't look like they have emotions.

I also like the way that TS4 did go more in-depth into the sole supernatural that they did provide in a game pack, - Vampires - if they went into such detail with the other occult life-states, it would be nice. I would love to see a more wolf-like werewolf. Wolf_doctor_who.jpg
    Instead of this:
    Screenshot-98.jpg <---or make that an interim state...where when initially bitten for two weeks, he is hovering between this form on the full moon, before he undergoes a more wolf-like appearance after the end of the two weeks. I could go into more suggestions for interactions with the werewolf, but it would take a whole nother post. (at least if they don't look into it for TS4, maybe they can look into it for TS5) There were interactions that I liked in TS3 with the werewolf, getting swatted by a newspaper and the sniffing inappropriately, but like the vampires, in TS4, they can expand on it with even more savage interactions...stuff that will kill a sim (of course, ripping a sim to shreds is probably out because of the T-rating, What they can bring in, in terms of interactions, is that if a werewolf bites a vampire, that vampire is doomed - that should be the vampire's weakness vs. a werewolf. Evidently, in Sims, the vampire is supernaturally strong, almost to the point where there are no weaknesses other than to sunlight. But of course they had a weakness in some lore to other supernaturals.
    https://unnaturalworld.fandom.com/wiki/Werewolves: The vampire will have uncontrollable hunger, and will eventually develop delusions, hallucinations, rabid rage, and dementia before finally dying. Plus if their claws go deep enough their scratch can be infectious as well.

Some Ideas for a "Werewolf game pack" - or Supernatural EP.

A witch should be able to curse a sim to become a werewolf or cast a spell to confuse and/or kill a werewolf.
    The werewolf should not be able to find silver ore or will suffer weakness if they come in contact with it (perhaps a nauseous mood),
    The vampire should be able to confuse a werewolf with illusions.
    Zombies can bite werewolves and turn them into a zombie.
    Fairies like the vampire can confuse werewolves with illusions.
    Mermaids can ensorcel a werewolf and cause them to go swimming until exhausted and drown.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    I'm surprised to see this thread back yet again. While I can't help but agree with a lot of @Nikkei_Simmer comments in his last post I have reached the conclusion that I am happiest staying with TS3. While I am happy to put forward suggestions for an improved and updated version of TS3 or even a new pc sims game, I am not convinced there is an appetite within the company to oblige us with either. I also wonder if a generation used to quick fixes would really want a game which requires time to develop and mature a TS3 style game. Most of us here I would imagine love the ability to set up and control complex games and our TS3 gives us the flexibility to do this. Granted TS3 has cheats and mods to progress the gameplay more quickly but would the very loyal player base swap this out for a game where you can buy in skill levels or careeer promotions or the storylines are limited to the developer's choice only. Yes it may be aging, CAW is an absolute pig to use and it is not possible to travel between worlds without mods but to my mind TS3 provides so much satisfying gameplay and creative opportunities which appeal to so many different types of players. Not many other games can say that and I seriously doubt any future sims game will be able to match it.

As for supernaturals in TS4 I remember there was a simguru Twitter poll asking players to nominate the two most popular supernaturals to be added to the game. I have a feeling werewolves did not make the final cut. Then again neither did fairies :/ So we can only hope that should there be another version after TS4 this trend towards abridging the contents of the game is reversed and we will be offered all of the existing TS3 supes in their full glory. Obviously I am happy to be corrected. Having been out of circulation for a while I may have missed any updates to that poll.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    @Bettyboop55 I have been thinking about what you said earlier when I said they should make an open world again but not as big as in the sims 3 to which you responded that a lot of simmers seem to want bigger. All I can say to them is that throughout the years I have come to expect less from the devs cause to me they have proven that they are not capable to achieve that. I would rather have a no loading screen town like pleasantview size that is stable and lag free and without routing errors than a huge world that craps on itselft with routing errors and lag. Also, there would be less empty spaces with no purpose in a more compact town:)

I don't know if the problem is the devs are not capable of doing the job, or if management won't give the devs the time to produce a bug free and optomised game.

I had issues and wrote endless posts about the unfixed bugs in the Sims 3 while it was still being actively developed with new store content and new Expansion and Stuff packs. Rarely were the bugs fixed.

I bought Sims 4 base game, tried it and found it boring. In spite of the fact that I was told I needed to add more packs to the base game to make it fun to play, I decided not to spend any more of my money on a game that would never make me happy, and didn't want to be seen to be supporting an organisation that felt it was ok to sell unfinished and buggy product as if it were suitable for the purpose.

I know my little protest is not likely to have any effect on EA or it's management, but it allows me to happily mod my Sims 3 game to my heart's content. If I feel the need for new content I go on a CC search. Previously I would have gone to the store and bought something. Now I just get a bit of new CC and I'm happy. Once I come to the point where I can no longer play the Sims 3 game for whatever reason, I have lots of other things to do that don't require a computer so I'll simply move on to do something else. As a matter of fact, I am currently finding myself in the situation where it is increasingly difficult for me to find time to play my game - and that is a bit frustrating because there is still a lot of it that I haven't fully explored yet.
    Karritz wrote: »
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    @Bettyboop55 I have been thinking about what you said earlier when I said they should make an open world again but not as big as in the sims 3 to which you responded that a lot of simmers seem to want bigger. All I can say to them is that throughout the years I have come to expect less from the devs cause to me they have proven that they are not capable to achieve that. I would rather have a no loading screen town like pleasantview size that is stable and lag free and without routing errors than a huge world that craps on itselft with routing errors and lag. Also, there would be less empty spaces with no purpose in a more compact town:)

I don't know if the problem is the devs are not capable of doing the job, or if management won't give the devs the time to produce a bug free and optomised game.

I had issues and wrote endless posts about the unfixed bugs in the Sims 3 while it was still being actively developed with new store content and new Expansion and Stuff packs. Rarely were the bugs fixed.

I bought Sims 4 base game, tried it and found it boring. In spite of the fact that I was told I needed to add more packs to the base game to make it fun to play, I decided not to spend any more of Imy money on a game that would never make me happy, and didn't want to be seen to be supporting an organisation that felt it was ok to sell unfinished and buggy product as if it were suitable for the purpose.

I know my little protest is not likely to have any effect on EA or it's management, but it allows me to happily mod my Sims 3 game to my heart's content. If I feel the need for new content I go on a CC search. Previously I would have gone to the store and bought something. Now I just get a bit of new CC and I'm happy. Once I come to the point where I can no longer play the Sims 3 game for whatever reason, I have lots of other things to do that don't require a computer so I'll simply move on to do something else. As a matter of fact, I am currently finding myself in the situation where it is increasingly difficult for me to find time to play my game - and that is a bit frustrating because there is still a lot of it that I haven't fully explored yet.

I think that is the truth for a lot of us over still having so much to explore and do with TS3. The fact there are still CC makers and modders out there to improve the game is a great bonus. I'm glad you have alternatives which would fill the void left by TS3 but this community would be so much poorer for losing you. It can be so very frustrating not being able to play. I am about to lose yet another week's gaming opportunities because of things happening in RL so you have my sympathies. Lets hope things change sufficiently to allow you the time you want.

Sim enim est vita
  • SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    There is only one thing - death for me
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No.

(is what spontaneously pops up in my mind whenever I see the title of this topic)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No.

(is what spontaneously pops up in my mind whenever I see the title of this topic)
    Well, we could have had 15 pages of players grunting "No," with an occasional lost soul typing out "Yes" or "Maybe." But that wouldn't have been very much fun. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    There is only one thing - death for me

A dedicated, loyal fan. Worth remembering though that there is more to life than gaming :D Now I am going to run for cover before I am accused of trivialising such an important topic as TS3 :)

Sim enim est vita
    igazor wrote: »
    No.

Well, we could have had 15 pages of players grunting "No," with an occasional lost soul typing out "Yes" or "Maybe." But that wouldn't have been very much fun. ;)

@JoAnne65 , @igazor I think "No" is a gut reaction to the question. What was great about this thread was the thought people then put into answering the question and the fun they had in sharing their love for the game and thoughts on how it might be best improved. Not bad for a game nearly 10 years old :)

Sim enim est vita
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Let me see. Last time I got addicted to a game, it took me 7 years to stop playing completely. However, I still think of it and have plans to re-play it. What hinders me is that I want to finish a mod for it and it takes some time to be done.
    I've been playing TS3 since 2014. I take breaks, but it's hard to simply walk out on the game right now.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    No.

I know but I had to get it off my chest :p (I’m sure actually a somewhat more exhaustive reply from my hand can be found somewhere in the many pages this topic counts ;)) (ETA: it’s on page 1 even and actually my recent reaction comes closer to the situation lol, so I sort of set things straight)

@Bettyboop55 It was ;) And indeed!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I play both games and for me, while I still play The Sims 4, I will never remove or move on completely from this game, as it has a special place in my heart. Been playing since 2010.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2019
    It seems clear that The Sims 4 was meant for a different market than The Sims 3-player generation, and that its style is made to draw in a younger age player and also someone who has not played the other sim-games. Only the number 4 denotes a succession from the previous ones; but its style and structure, the Sims mobile, freeplay and the fact that EA still sells The Sims 3 base game, expansion packs and store items to full price, all just show a very common tactic for profit-making (milking).

Considering how instabile The Sims 3 runs on a computer meeting the, only, specifics EA demands, as well as on much more powerful system, it also seems clear that some choices, like the loading screens in The Sims 4, must have game running reasons, and not just later expansion packs selling reasons.

What you wrote that I bolded is not true. With every new The Sims iteration, especially the very first one, were young kids who had no previous experience with other sim-games, who bought it, or more likely their parents did, and played TS1 or TS2 or TS3 as their very first sim game. And somehow, they managed to play the game and enjoy it without it being dumbed down for them. I actually feel sorry for the young kids who have TS4 as their first experience. They won't ever get to experience the thrill of having a jam-packed base game or jam-packed full of gameplay expansion or stuff pack which comprised the contents of TS1, TS2 and TS3; or to fully appreciate the progressions from TS1 to TS2 to TS3, like we did growing up.

And about TS3 being unstable, it's not so much anymore - especially when all solutions and workarounds are well-published/provided. That was more true when it first came out in 2009, but all the computers since 2014 have caught up, with EA maintaining the game to run on the new models and graphics cards as they come out. Also about The Sims 4 being more stable, well you only have to look on this forum and see all the complaints, the defections back to TS3 and TS2, and the fact that TS4 has a monthly patch day to fix all the previous month's problems. So it's apparent that it doesn't run as great as EA claims or pretends. I just really hope they are already starting development on TS5 - I will gladly help fund it if they create more content for the The Sims 3 Store as I refuse to buy TS4. But if not, TS3 is the last one for me.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think the only thing that would get me to move on from TS3 is a TS5 progressing from TS3 and not from TS4. I don't really want an upgraded TS3 because I'm pretty satisfied with TS3 as it is. If EA wants to make an effort in regard to TS3, I would like more content, premium and otherwise, that they will sell in in The Sims 3 Store or regular discs.
    Let me see. Last time I got addicted to a game, it took me 7 years to stop playing completely. However, I still think of it and have plans to re-play it. What hinders me is that I want to finish a mod for it and it takes some time to be done.
    I've been playing TS3 since 2014. I take breaks, but it's hard to simply walk out on the game right now.

My long term love affair with the sims started with TS2. By the time I got to TS3 it was a way of life, Saturdays were for smiming when I was working. Now if I am kept away from my game as I am now by circs beyond my control I get distinctly cranky and bad tempered. I admire anyone who can produce mods or cc so I hope you get your mod finished. As for TS3 as a relatively new player you are lucky in having so much new to explore. Be warned though there will come a time when you won't be able to stop a gaming session without regret and you can't wait to fire up your game to see how the latest generation of sims turns out :D:D

Sim enim est vita
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I play both games and for me, while I still play The Sims 4, I will never remove or move on completely from this game, as it has a special place in my heart. Been playing since 2010.

You have the best of both worlds ! I hope you carry on enjoying both games :)

Sim enim est vita
    I think the only thing that would get me to move on from TS3 is a TS5 progressing from TS3 and not from TS4. I don't really want an upgraded TS3 because I'm pretty satisfied with TS3 as it is. If EA wants to make an effort in regard to TS3, I would like more content, premium and otherwise, that they will sell in in The Sims 3 Store or regular discs.

What a great idea for new store content. I would love to see some more fashionable clothes. Sadly though the store development team folded after the launch of TS4. Perhaps EA did not realise there would be a continuing interest from many TS3 players in completing their store sets etc.

Sim enim est vita
    It seems clear that The Sims 4 was meant for a different market than The Sims 3-player generation, and that its style is made to draw in a younger age player and also someone who has not played the other sim-games. Only the number 4 denotes a succession from the previous ones; but its style and structure, the Sims mobile, freeplay and the fact that EA still sells The Sims 3 base game, expansion packs and store items to full price, all just show a very common tactic for profit-making (milking).

Considering how instabile The Sims 3 runs on a computer meeting the, only, specifics EA demands, as well as on much more powerful system, it also seems clear that some choices, like the loading screens in The Sims 4, must have game running reasons, and not just later expansion packs selling reasons.

What you wrote that I bolded is not true. With every new The Sims iteration, especially the very first one, were young kids who had no previous experience with other sim-games, who bought it, or more likely their parents did, and played TS1 or TS2 or TS3 as their very first sim game. And somehow, they managed to play the game and enjoy it without it being dumbed down for them. I actually feel sorry for the young kids who have TS4 as their first experience. They won't ever get to experience the thrill of having a jam-packed base game or jam-packed full of gameplay expansion or stuff pack which comprised the contents of TS1, TS2 and TS3; or to fully appreciate the progressions from TS1 to TS2 to TS3, like we did growing up.

And about TS3 being unstable, it's not so much anymore - especially when all solutions and workarounds are well-published/provided. That was more true when it first came out in 2009, but all the computers since 2014 have caught up, with EA maintaining the game to run on the new models and graphics cards as they come out. Also about The Sims 4 being more stable, well you only have to look on this forum and see all the complaints, the defections back to TS3 and TS2, and the fact that TS4 has a monthly patch day to fix all the previous month's problems. So it's apparent that it doesn't run as great as EA claims or pretends. I just really hope they are already starting development on TS5 - I will gladly help fund it if they create more content for the The Sims 3 Store as I refuse to buy TS4. But if not, TS3 is the last one for me.

As this is a thread about moving on from TS3, it might also be worth thinking about players who are moving back to TS3. I should imagine this might include players who have started with TS4 and now want to experience what the rest of us have been praising to the skies. I don't think age is a factor in all of this. The sims franchise as a whole has a universal appeal regardless of age, race or gender. Long may it continue.

I don't believe there was a computer game ever made that was totally bug free. Part of resolving any stability issue is understanding the specs for your chosen game and making sure your current hardware has the capacity to run it. A lot else can be resolved with mods but unless the computer is up to scratch then you are not going to get the full gaming experience. It can make gaming an expensive hobby and that's before you consider the possibility of a VR version :)

Sim enim est vita
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    And about TS3 being unstable, it's not so much anymore - especially when all solutions and workarounds are well-published/provided. That was more true when it first came out in 2009, but all the computers since 2014 have caught up, with EA maintaining the game to run on the new models and graphics cards as they come out.
    No objections to anything you have said except this. EA isn't maintaining anything except the TS3 Store, the Exchange, and the server that accepts player logins (and still allows for Simporting and gifting). There hasn't been a meaningful patch released for TS3 or anything having to do with new graphics card compatibility in over five years now unless you count the mess that was made of the required Origin tie-in. The game can run fine on the newest cards with some fps capping effort on behalf of the player, and that's great, but let's not attribute credit for that which has happened all on its own. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Hmm,

I wanted to like 4.I liked the careers and dining out, but the actual gameplay just lacked for me.I feel restricted, like there's not much to do in the world aside from collecting frogs and rocks.I liked having shops and restaurants, wish we had gotten that for TS3.I feel I can tell more stories with three than 4.