Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"To install The Sims™ 3 Supernatural you must already have The Sims™ 3 installed" Message, help?!

So, I'm in the process of downloading Supernatural and this keeps happening- It'll ask me to select a 'volume' where the Sims 3 is already installed, and I'll select the folder where I keep it. I don't know if it's the right one, or something, but when I try and continue, it just says; "To install The Sims™ 3 Supernatural you must already have The Sims™ 3 installed. Select a volume where the The Sims3.app is already installed". I need help, and I really need to not install and re-install the game.

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2014
    You just select your hard drive - Macintosh HD (unless you've renamed it) - and the installer will install it in Applications.

Why are you trying to install it in a folder and what is the folder????
    apple-signature.png
  • NalaAthenaNalaAthena Posts: 11 New Member
    edited May 2014
    I was trying to use the folder where I kept the actual icon. I'll try just using the hard drive. :3
    edited May 2014
    Nope. Same message.
    edited May 2014
    When you install it automatically highlights your HD icon as the default location and automatically installs into the Applications folder. You don't have to do anything, let the installer chose the location and click on Continue.

apple-signature.png
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I tried that. Still nothing.
    edited May 2014
    Nothing or the same error message? In your Applications folder you should have a folder called The Sims 3 and in that folder should be your base game install plus any EPs and SPs. That is where the game should default install to. You should also have a folder called The Sims 3 within a folder called Electronic Arts in your Documents folder. This is your user data (saves/downloads etc.), you do not install to this folder.
    apple-signature.png
    edited May 2014
    Same message. And yes, everything is there and it should be directed there.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hm... It should allow you to choose the Sims 3 application folder in your Applications unless it automatically directs itself there. Are you using a disk or Origins to install your game?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    edited May 2014
    Disk.
    edited May 2014
    Bump!
  • superteensimsuperteensim Posts: 1 New Member
    help im having this exact issue :(
    help would be greatly appreciated
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @superteensim It would be helpful if you could provide more information. What operating system are you running (Windows or Mac OS, and which version), which packs do you already have installed, which one(s) are you trying to install, and how? (Origin/Steam/disc)

It would also be helpful to know the path of your installed game. In Windows, you're looking for the one in Program Files (x86); the address should show across the top of File Explorer. On a Mac, right-click (or control-click) on the base game icon in Applications and select Get Info, then look for the address under General > Where.

It might be best to post your reply in the dedicated thread for new members, since this thread is a few years old:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues/p87