Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What life stage do you "skip", if you skip it one at all?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Baby
    IreneSwift wrote: »

You already know, I'm totally with you on that! And if mod a like that ever comes out, I hope somebody announces it on the forum, because I'd be on it in heartbeat too!

@IreneSwift Yeah, I do know. :blush:

:lol::lol:

Your comment made my day!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2019
    Mmmhh, ever since I started playing sims I don't recall skipping a life stage ever, not even newborns, in fact if I make longer certain life stage because I enjoy it, like young adults, I make longer every one of them, so I've had newborns in five days for example :smile:

With that being said, there has been moments when I want to skip the baby stage... like when my sims had quadruplets two times in a row and I had four toddlers and four babies... hahaha... ha :smiley: *right eye twitchs*

Oh, no I'm having flashbacks :confounded:
    Post edited by lowpolygal on
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    I don't skip any life stages, although I tweak their lengths somewhat. The one that most reliably gets shortened is toddler, not because I don't like playing them but because the stage seems proportionally too long to me. So I lop a few days off and add the time to child. The toddlers always learn all their skills with plenty of time to spare anyway.

I might be unusual here, but I think I probably play elders longer than the other stages, at least for my favorite sims. They get ambrosia and/or at least one death flower, but I've always felt a little weird resetting a sim's age as a young adult, or even an adult. Especially in a legacy, it seems just wrong for sims to be listed as younger than their children, so the ambrosia has to wait until the sims are at the end of their guaranteed lifespans. Besides, once I get over the admittedly startling transition in appearance, my elders pretty much live the same lives they did while they were adults, with the exception that the family-oriented ones are now playing with their grandkids.

I don't enjoy playing with babies all that much, but it feels like skipping that stage would be cheating. (That's just my perspective; of course people can play however they want.) This is, after all, a life simulator, as others have pointed out. Besides, just because infants aren't doing anything on their own doesn't mean they're inert. I like to think they're a bit like human babies, unable to actively interact but nonetheless observing their surroundings and laying the neural groundwork to learn at an astonishing speed later. How else can we explain a toddler's ability to learn to talk over the span of a couple of hours, perhaps even immediately after a birthday? Of course, the game doesn't care how much sim babies were cooed over by their parents and siblings, but I like to pretend it matters. Maybe I'm just weird.
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    Baby
    I use Nrass to have babies age after 1 day, Their screaming drives me nuts
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Baby
    I always skip baby. Like literally the second they are born I trigger the age up.

I think babies are fairly boring, and everything I can do with a baby I can do with toddlers so far as I know. I also can't make them look nice and the baby burrito is just blah.

On top of that, I'm guessing I have a piece of CC that was enabled for babies when it shouldn't be, but I get pretty bad graphic glitches with babies. I'm not sure what it is exactly, and I honestly don't care enough to fix it considering I skip the life stage anyway.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Oh, all the poor babies getting skipped which is the very first life stage of a Sim's existence into the world. Well, my objective for babies is to form a close bond with their parents. And older brother(s), sister(s), grandparents, uncle(s) and aunt(s) if I can. Plus, I love taking them everywhere. Unfortunately, there are no double, triple or extremely rare quadruplets type strollers. Because a single parent can only take one baby/toddler at a time. When it comes to bonding, it also helps to have the mother deliver the baby herself for a boost in relationship.
    Screenshot-5224.jpg
    Screenshot-231.jpg
    Screenshot-424.jpg
    Screenshot-4942.jpg
    Screenshot-561.jpg
    Screenshot-566.jpg
    Screenshot-579.jpg
    Screenshot-583.jpg
    Screenshot-607.jpg
    Screenshot-1506.jpg
    Screenshot-2695.jpg
    I wish there was an option for older siblings to meet their baby brother(s) or sister(s). So many opportunities wasted with the youngest life stage.

I agree with an earlier comment made by starguru about enjoying the full experience from baby to elder or beyond. I like taking my time to get to know my Sims as it is true that each one is unique and different from any other. Thus, full of surprises and quite endearing. It's easy for me to get attached because the A.I. that simulates these Sims can be so relatable and realistic to real life. I become genuinely invested in trying to guide Sims through their virtual lives as best I can. I can't really help if I don't even learn and understand the psyche of each individual A.I.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    Baby
    I like looking at a burrito baby for like a sim day and then I get bored. I'm sure most people feel the same. There isn't much you can do with them. I don't skip children, but I also find them a little boring after a while. Same with toddlers sometimes. Although, lately I've been playing the lifespans on long, so maybe that's why I get bored so quickly. There's only so much you can do.
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    Baby
    > @Deshong04 said:
    > Oh, all the poor babies getting skipped which is the very first life stage of a Sim's existence into the world. Well, my objective for babies is to form a close bond with their parents. And older brother(s), sister(s), grandparents, uncle(s) and aunt(s) if I can. Plus, I love taking them everywhere. Unfortunately, there are no double, triple or extremely rare quadruplets type strollers. Because a single parent can only take one baby/toddler at a time. When it comes to bonding, it also helps to have the mother deliver the baby herself for a boost in relationship. (Spoiler)
    >
    >
    > I agree with an earlier comment made by starguru about enjoying the full experience from baby to elder or beyond. I like taking my time to get to know my Sims as it is true that each one is unique and different from any other. Thus, full of surprises and quite endearing. It's easy for me to get attached because the A.I. that simulates these Sims can be so relatable and realistic to real life. I become genuinely invested in trying to guide Sims through their virtual lives as best I can. I can't really help if I don't even learn and understand the psyche of each individual A.I.

I get what you mean though about building bonds. It's important. Love the photos by the way :smiley:
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Oh, all the poor babies getting skipped which is the very first life stage of a Sim's existence into the world. Well, my objective for babies is to form a close bond with their parents. And older brother(s), sister(s), grandparents, uncle(s) and aunt(s) if I can. Plus, I love taking them everywhere. Unfortunately, there are no double, triple or extremely rare quadruplets type strollers. Because a single parent can only take one baby/toddler at a time. When it comes to bonding, it also helps to have the mother deliver the baby herself for a boost in relationship.
    Screenshot-5224.jpg
    Screenshot-231.jpg
    Screenshot-424.jpg
    Screenshot-4942.jpg
    Screenshot-561.jpg
    Screenshot-566.jpg
    Screenshot-579.jpg
    Screenshot-583.jpg
    Screenshot-607.jpg
    Screenshot-1506.jpg
    Screenshot-2695.jpg
    I wish there was an option for older siblings to meet their baby brother(s) or sister(s). So many opportunities wasted with the youngest life stage.

I agree with an earlier comment made by starguru about enjoying the full experience from baby to elder or beyond. I like taking my time to get to know my Sims as it is true that each one is unique and different from any other. Thus, full of surprises and quite endearing. It's easy for me to get attached because the A.I. that simulates these Sims can be so relatable and realistic to real life. I become genuinely invested in trying to guide Sims through their virtual lives as best I can. I can't really help if I don't even learn and understand the psyche of each individual A.I.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM

Very true about your spoiler comment concerning missed opportunities and wishing TS3 had an option for older kids to meet their baby siblings. Like the interaction in TS2. I forgot what it’s specifically called, but it’s this one:

7_zps1oafapzx.jpg

I wish there were other similar TS2 interactions available in TS3, from bathing babies in the sink to all the games children could play together, like Mary Mack and Cops & Robbers. With more interactions like these, I’d think simmers might enjoy the uniqueness of each life stage more and may want to skip them less overall.

Modders have added much to younger life stages though. From the “no-stretch, children can… series” to toddlers being able to scribble on walls—these add more activities for them to do, which is something I greatly appreciate.

I also love those trailers! They’re a great illustration of what I love best about all the possibilities with generational play and what makes each life stage special.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited January 2019
    I do not have a specific playstyle not having played the game for that long a time for something like it to potentially form; and even if I have preferences each save would be a little different from the last one. I would not say I skip any age - it is a game I myself decide to play, so if ever I get bored I would just move on. Given the way the age stages are structured the perspective tell-tales of very young persons as developers or intended consumers and they do not match my own both real life experience or notion of time passing; but again, it is a play and a game, and if it is not there in form I will just re-imagine it.

If the birthmother was happy during pregnancy/birth the newborn inherits her mood, and there are lots of ways to make babies in a good mood and the more used the sims become to 'feeling good', the easier it gets. The 'elder' stage match my idea of a 90-year old, like my grandmother who lived till she was well over that and sprightly until almost all of it and I use the 'adult' stage to symbolise all the time up until that point, in the lack of proper representation; and the 'young adult' for a default out of CAS.

I do not play 'generational', but with the townies as they are; or with different ages made in CAS. With Generations the child and teenager periods are full of activities if diversion is wanted, but they are very american in cultural associations and I can't relate to most of them; but an age is more than its milestones and always playing on epic there are so many small little things to happen, mostly in the player's mind. I find the toddlers adorable and as soon as they are moderately self-sufficient I keep them there for a long time.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited January 2019
    Baby
    Skipping life stages depends on the version.

In TS1, I usually only played with adults - children were useless.
    TS2 sees me playing families, but as soon as I get that notice for infants, here comes the birthday cake! I use all the time as toddler, child and teen for skill prep and only really use family interactions to score aspiration.
    I don't play families in TS3. I play my Occult Sims as YAs or adults and they always end up with an immortality trait. Occasionally, I will play families if I am playing homeless Sims, but will not play younger than a child (that I create in CAS). I don't like how they changed the Uni play to needing to build skill or studying 24/7 so that interferes with my skill prep. I also don't like how two attractive Sims end up producing the hideous creatures that they do - I expected better looking kids than that from those Sims!
    TS4 changed skilling for Sims and drew me into family play. I appreciate the younger stages now, but will only play with an infant for a few Sim hours - I'm just not impressed and quite honestly easily become bored with them.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Baby
    Babies because I play for the sims not for burritos.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Deshong04 Yep, I agree with that. I’ve skipped the baby stage in the past (not so much because they were boring to me - newsflash, real babies that age are a bit boring :p - but because I was too curious what genetics had done to them to wait), so I can conclude that at least to me it makes a difference.

And yes, Sims 2 babies are the best!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Held off as long as I could, can't resist any longer. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imWnuirIL8o
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    beeblegoxbeeblegox Posts: 28 Member
    I don't skip any, but the baby stage is pretty boring. I really miss the features mentioned above (changing tables, washing in the sink, strollers...)
    Checkout our Youtube channel:
    8Swe8NF.png
    A Legacy Let's Play with two sisters sharing a Sims 4 save file.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Baby
    For those who have mentioned missing washing a baby in the kitchen sink, there is a changing table/bathing station in the store. It comes with the Lullabyes and Nursery Rhymes set, or you can buy it separately.
  • Options
    PenguinColadaPenguinColada Posts: 76 Member
    Toddler
    I tend to skip the Baby/Toddler ages pretty quickly.
    nwNhIHG.png
    Origin ID: FancyPatsyCat
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I play through all life stages, except toddlers, I age them up as soon as they talk, walk and are potty trained, they take up to much time, when my sims could be doing other things, I delete all schools so my kids can have time to do things, I have never sent any of my kids to school. One of the reasons I don't like sims 4, it is hard to keep them home, I have to watch the clock so they don't go to school, I love all the life stages, but toddlers the least.
  • Options
    Baby
    Hey everyone. :) I just wanted to pop on here and show you pictures of an adorable sim baby. :blush:

Babies-can-be-cute-1.jpg

Babies-can-be-cute-2.jpg

I LOVE that there's CC out there to make Sims 3 babies look like actual babies and not burritos. :lol:

As I said before, it makes me want to play them (this life stage) even more/longer. :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2019
    Baby
    I have CC baby hair and sleeper footies, so my sim babies look real too, and I do love sim babies. If only there was a way to make night feedings not take so long, I'd make that stage longer. Maybe I should look into that.
  • Options
    Baby
    @IreneSwift I have this mod in my game that makes babies and toddlers sleep all the way through the night without having to be fed or changed. :p

I seriously won't play my game without it anymore. :mrgreen:

*And yes I know it's not realistic, but whatevs!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    beeblegox wrote: »
    I don't skip any, but the baby stage is pretty boring. I really miss the features mentioned above (changing tables, washing in the sink, strollers...)
    Generations came with strollers. In fact..., I believe Sims 3 is the only Sims game with strollers? Might be wrong.
    5JZ57S6.png