Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ugly sims?

kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
Hi everyone,

I have this on my ipad because I downloaded it out of sheer curiosity awhile back. I thought it was so ugly and obviously, so much of the game pushes you to purchase.. But I cracked it open again this morning out of boredom and I'm wondering again why the graphics are so, so so soso bad.

... I think I would actually play and probably even spend money if the graphics weren't total crap.

Do you guys like them? I mean, I play some pretty (beautiful) graphic intensive games on my ipad and it runs perfectly, so I can't imagine just the fact that it needs to be of lowe quality in order to run on mobile devices is the reason why..

What are your feelings on it? I wouldn't mind if I could get past their ugly, blocky faces.. Lol

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Don't zoom in.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    The game was probably made for mobile phones. So if you play it on a big tablet and zoom in then you obviously see it in a much higher resolution than it was made for.
  • kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    @Erpe .. I have an Ipad Mini, it's not that big.. I would never play it on a cell phone, too many tiny places to tap.
    kmaria wrote: »
    @Erpe .. I have an Ipad Mini, it's not that big.. I would never play it on a cell phone, too many tiny places to tap.
    I actually played it earlier also on my old iPod Touch 4G. This can't really be recommended. But the screen size wasn't any problem for me. The problem was though that it is too old and therefore too slow to load the houses (which you have to do all the time in this game). I wouldn't mind to play it on my phone if I had to do that.
    @erpe I can't even stand texting on touchscreen phones let alone playing games of that style haha :D
    kmaria wrote: »
    @erpe I can't even stand texting on touchscreen phones let alone playing games of that style haha :D
    I wasn't texting on my old iPod Touch either. But I played a lot of games on it :)

I earlier actually used my Samsung Galaxy S2 too for Freeplay. The advantage was that I could easily play too while traveling by bus. But I don't do that anymore and therefore bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet and moved all my android games to that tablet. (Otherwise I would probably instead have upgraded my phone to Samsung Galaxy S6 instead.) :)

But my main gaming device is still my iPad Air 2.
  • Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    The only thing that bothers me are the sims, I like how everything else looks. The sims are indeed quite weird and blocky.
  • HyunHeeHyunHee Posts: 390 Member
    Marycool33 wrote: »
    The only thing that bothers me are the sims, I like how everything else looks. The sims are indeed quite weird and blocky.

Same...I wish there were some type of genetics that can be pass down to your baby. Also have different type of face features or something you can change their face.
    2vc864m.jpg

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    The Sims Freeplay was built from the Sims 3 game that was meant to be played on 3.5" phones and hardware from 2009.

So it's not really a wonder why :p

jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims Freeplay was built from the Sims 3 game that was meant to be played on 3.5" phones and hardware from 2009.

So it's not really a wonder why :p
    Most sims have looked awful in all Sims games. Especially in the Sims 1 which nevertheless was the best selling PC game ever.

So the reason doesn't really have anything with the Sims 3 or other Sims games to do. Instead it seems that many sims always have been planned to be quite ugly - probably because the game designers thought that this would be more fun ;)

It also doesn't have much to do with technology because beautiful characters could be found in other games already decades ago. So to not make all sims beautiful was just a choice made by the developers.
  • SimGuruEmmaSimGuruEmma Posts: 118 SimGuru
    Hm, that's an interesting question you have there @kmaria...

Being a mobile game there's certain limitations to take into account (as well as the fact we support a BUNCH of different devices - some which aren't the most up-to-date) which can make it a bit tricky to make everything as super pretty and smooth as it is on your desktop computer/laptop but we certainly try out best! The Sims FreePlay has also been around for a lot of years, and so we're building and adding on our years old history will makes it hard to turn it all around and revamp the entire graphics system of the game.

Though it is very common request, the team does work hard to try to improve animations and graphics as best they possibly can :)
    Community Engagement Manager - The Sims FreePlay + The Sims Mobile - Firemonkeys and Maxis
    @SimGuruEmma I'm sure they work hard. I think the rest of the game looks fun, but it's certainly a reason that stops me from playing that you can't really make the sims look all that nice.

@Erpe Yeah, I know. I've been playing the sims since TS1. My thought is that you'd think they would want to make it as graphically nice as possible. It can't be that much of a challenge? It feels like a cut corner.

@jackjack_k This game supposedly came out in 2011.. lol I mean, okay if that's the case, butttt yeah not a good excuse haha. Esp. since it's so pay to play. If I would invest in a game like that, I would not want the sims faces to give me nightmares.

• GenzzaGenzza Posts: 14 New Member
    I just started playing this game a few days ago.Yea the sims in this game are really ugly.They have them looking so worn out like they had a real hard life.They need to update the clothes,especially the tops and those God awful shoes.I really like the game so far,hate how they be increasing the price of all the houses so unfair.Empty lot price keeps going up too.Other than that it's a pretty cool game.
  • dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I hear a lot of good things about the gameplay, but the sims look so creepy that I can't enjoy it. Their faces look bad and the form of their body/clothes looks bad. I also dislike Sims 3 sims' faces now, which I guess is what they're based off of. It's not that bad considering the time period the game launched. But if I don't like the way a game looks, it's hard for me to get immersed in the gameplay.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • MarvelousMarvelMarvelousMarvel Posts: 2 New Member
    I don’t enjoy it as well, they could try and make the sims from The Sims Freeplay look prettier, kinda like The Sims Mobile, I stopped playing it cause i couldn’t bear playing it and keep on looking at them all ugly like that, it seems like a reeeeally old and boring game, but it isn't, that’s the thing!
  • GenzzaGenzza Posts: 14 New Member
    Love the game,they need to improve on the clothes and hair for the babies all away up to the adults.Also the females need better choices of jewelry to wear.I liked the outfit with the dress and boots,only thing I didn't like about the outfit was the hat.Would have been cool if you had a second option of not having a hat with it.Would be cool if we could have a daycare to drop our kids off to when we have to work or do quest.I think the adults as well as the kids need more animations.
  • HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    I hear a lot of good things about the gameplay, but the sims look so creepy that I can't enjoy it. Their faces look bad and the form of their body/clothes looks bad. I also dislike Sims 3 sims' faces now, which I guess is what they're based off of. It's not that bad considering the time period the game launched. But if I don't like the way a game looks, it's hard for me to get immersed in the gameplay.

I don't think that these characters are based off of the ones from The Sims 3, they look nothing like them. The Sims 3 had more realistic looks in so much as that they tried to make the Sims look like actual people (which is probably why they are ugly because more people aren't actually beautiful in the stereotypical way).
    The Sims in free play actually have a square stylised and unique look which has an unattractive qualify all of its own. It probably looks like that because at the time of development pixelated art work might have been popular. Perhaps it was supposed to be the adult version of My Sims (you know the Nintendo DS game?), to me there are certain similarities.
    I would think that the reason why The Sims 4 Sims are better looking is because they are less realistic and more cartoonish and even then more towards the Asian style than western. They are targeting a younger audience who has grown up addicted to anime dubs because watching anime is suddenly cool.
    Honestly I doubt if anyone who thinks that the Sims from free play look like the Sims from 3 has played either. It doesn't seem likely because the artwork is totally different. You need to consider global culture and trends in art when suggesting what something might be based from.
  • shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    Honestly, I wish they'd make Sims Freeplay look like Sims 1.

If you're going to go low res because of devices, at least make it iconic

Idk if this is a popular opinion or not though
  • JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    I’m ok with their faces as long as the team keep adding the variety of sims faces and clothings :p
    4kTG3iX.png