Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes a stuff pack worth it?

There are a lot of polls about what's the best/worst stuff pack, and I always have trouble answering, so I've been thinking a lot about what really helps make a stuff pack feel worth the price. Like, for me, while I end up using most of the new items just cause they're there, I end up feeling like I just spent ten bucks for a bunch of, well. Junk really, to put it bluntly. It made me realize that I really in some active gameplay addition to feel good about the purchase--like, I like the Spooky Pack, but I think that's just cause it actually comes with a new event (spooky party) AND a new interactable/skill building object (pumpkin carving station). So, if a pack doesn't have at least one of each of those things, it ends up feeling kind of anemic to me. Even tho I do like hottubs and buffet tables, I end up feeling that all I really got in those packs, with then, y'know...some extra junk thrown in, and I think I would've felt so much better about them if they'd come with an event--like, a pool party event to go with backyard stuff, and a formal/cocktail party event for the luxury party stuff, slumber parties for the kids stuff, things like that. I'd be happy to pay for new events like that, and a lot--not all, but a lot--of stuff packs seem like they'd pair really well with a new event.

So, uh, yeah, basically, to summarize: for a stuff pack to feel worth it to me it needs to have 1) an interactable object, 2) a new event, and then 3) a few new CAS and build/buy items for aesthetics. I could be wrong, but I think people would be less annoyed about only getting a few new outfit choices with their stuff pack if they got a whole new even as well? Anyway, what about you? What makes a stuff pack feel like it was worth purchasing, and actually adds to your game?

Comments

• EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Gameplay and CAS are my two favorite features so that's what I look for when I decide if I want a new pack. I'm not a builder but I do like refurnishing homes/dorms so Build and Buy modes are important, just not as vital as CAS and the actual gameplay.
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    My favourite part of sims is creating, both CAS and building, so the first thing I look at when deciding whether to buy one is the items included for those two categories. Extra gameplay doesn't come into it for me when it's a stuff pack. Game packs and expansion packs are a different matter though. If there are enough items that I like and know I'll use, especially if it's an item I've wanted for a while, then I'll buy it, simple as that.

When I think of my favourite packs, I realize that I always think of it in terms of the items that came with it, that I enjoy using the most. I appreciate new gameplay that may come with them, but again it's just not what I think of when I buy a stuff pack. Interactive objects are a bonus, but not needed. I can see how it can feel like junk if you're not too much into creating though. For me, the more items the better so I don't mind paying for "stuff". I agree on it feeling a little hollow for the price though, so I buy them on sale. There's nothing I need so badly in my game that can't wait around until then.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I look at the new furniture and build mode items first. Always hoping for more beds, more counters, more furniture, walls, floors etc.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I personally buy all of them anyways because 1- I cant help it 2- I don't use CC so more items are always welcome. But what I feel that definitely makes a pack worth it is the new gameplay features, like laundry, bowling, butlers, spooky parties, void critters and etc.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I only buy them on sale, because like you OP, I feel like it's a waste for the full price. It has to buy a pack that I'll use. I don't buy all the packs just to have them (no shade). So it has to have a bit of everything, like some CAS, some build/buy, and maybe interactive objects, like you said. I'm very particular. I only have two stuff packs. I was debating between laundry and spa during the last sale, and ultimately chose laundry. Not because I'm dying to do laundry in game (I hate laundry no matter what form it takes) but because I knew I'd use the cas and build items a bunch. Contrast that to spa: I knew I'd use the skills sometimes, but almost none of the decor, since modern isn't really my style. I also hardly travel with my Sims, so there was that to consider.