Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want to be notified when someone quotes your comment in the forums?

Hi everyone :blush:

Today I have a question for you about how notifications on the forums work. When someone tags (@) you in their comment, you always get a notification that says so, so you can go to the the message and check what they have written and maybe answer. However sometimes you don't think to tag someone or you forget, but you quoted their comment and would maybe like a follow up or just to let them know they're awesome! (In more words than the awesome button lets you.) In these cases, there's no notification so if you don't manually revisit the comment and you weren't really following that discussion, you might not see the comment at all.

We all like interacting here and I'm sure we don't want to miss comments directed at us, that's why we're on the forums. So I wanted to ask you, would you like a notification if someone quotes your comment?

Do you want to be notified when someone quotes your comment in the forums? 48 votes

Yes
77%
IceyJLesejbvivica86luthienrisingSimberella777KatiardguezFlexono1ClassicalSimpapertongueZeldaboy180Cassandra52182DoloresGreySilvakristiinametalfenix_RafKarababy52ShanabananasMissimay94CorenrenloutredorEricasFreePlay 37 votes
No
12%
GoldmoldarUzone27friendlysimmersJnyxldmarkolisasc360 6 votes
I don't mind
10%
taydevCupidMadachan88Evie0602Patrice 5 votes

Comments

• ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Yes
    I think this is going to be something we all universally want. :D
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    Yes
    @ShadyLady89 :joy: Voting on my own poll :sweat_smile: haha, yeah I think you're right, it's almost not fair to poll. Well, at least we're making our voices heard. It should get their attention.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Yes
    Yeah, it's nice to know if someone replied so you don't end up ignoring them. However having a notification every time someone posts in a topic you posted in (without directly tagging/replying to you) gets annoying. At the time of writing this I have 162 notifications :/
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    Yes
    However having a notification every time someone posts in a topic you posted in (without directly tagging/replying to you) gets annoying. At the time of writing this I have 162 notifications :/

@Flexono1 If you remove bookmark in the top right-hand corner (the star) that makes you follow the thread, then you shouldn't get any at all. You only get notifications on threads without replies to you if you follow that thread. The star is unchecked by default, so you have to opt-in.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    No
    I do not want constant bombardment of notifications if I am busy and as long as there is an option to shut it off I do not care if they put that in.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Yes
    astera00 wrote: »
    However having a notification every time someone posts in a topic you posted in (without directly tagging/replying to you) gets annoying. At the time of writing this I have 162 notifications :/

@Flexono1 If you remove bookmark in the top right-hand corner (the star) that makes you follow the thread, then you shouldn't get any at all. You only get notifications on threads without replies to you if you follow that thread. The star is unchecked by default, so you have to opt-in.

Well having been a forum member since 2011, I have officially learned something new today xd Thank you
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes
    YES! For the love of everything that is holy, I have no idea why this isn't already a normal function. I don't know of any forum on the planet aside from this one where you get a notif for someone posting in a thread you made of all things, but NOT when you're quoted. It makes no sense. I'm surprised that conversations even happen on this site. :/

It happened to me the other day, where I found out that someone had quoted a comment I'd made weeks ago and I didn't reply to them because I had no idea they were talking to me.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    No
    Under the current system, if you are specifically tagged, you get notified anytime your quote is copied in the thread.
    I find this a bit too much already.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Under the current system, if you are specifically tagged, you get notified anytime your quote is copied in the thread.
    I find this a bit too much already.
    I believe that's because the tag ends up as part of the quote, thus triggering notification over and over.

In theory, this can be programmed around; you could, for example, flag it so that a tag only works if it isn't inside quote tags. Then to make it work as people are talking about here, when you click Quote on a post, it auto-adds a username tag for the person you're quoting either before or after the quoted post (outside of the BBC Code quote tags). Probably before, so the user doesn't accidentally write over it with the body of their reply.

But... I don't know how ancient or finicky this forum software is. It may be one of those "rest of the [blank]ing owl" things to actually do it with the software. It also might not be the most user-friendly design choice ever. Then again, most forum software at this stage of the internet isn't the most user-friendly thing ever. :tongue:
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't mind
    I would rather this to the tagging system. I just feel like sometimes people overuse the tags or use them accidentally when they quote other people, etc. But I can't really blame them bc there are some people who specifically prefer to be tagged all the time.

I'm more or less okay with how it is now. This isn't a fast paced forum at all so it's not hard to keep up with things.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey everyone, I've gone ahead and moved this to the forum idea and feedback category as it isn't game related.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Yes
    That'd be so good! I try to be as active as I can in discussions and it'd be great to be able to follow up on people who quote!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited January 2019
    No
    I'm going to say no as I don't want to be mandated with too many notifications. I just bookmark the threads that I want to keep track of so that I can see when someone posts in there with the exception of the "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" thread as that thread gets a lot of comments on but I still go over and check it out several times a day... :)

Plus this was already discussed a few times and one of the former moderators had made a statement about not being able to enable this feature as there isn't a quick and easy way to do so.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p5

Edit to say that the notifications don't work half the time anyhow as I have been mentioned in several postings where I had not received any of the notifications with the exception of maybe 1 out of 3+ mentions even though they had my user name spelled correctly.
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Yes
    yes, it would be nice. Also, they could have a link to the sub-forum or the other thread's pages when you reach the bottom of a page. It's annoying to click "go to top" every time I reach the bottom of a thread page.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • LesejbLesejb Posts: 15 Member
    Yes
    I would really like it that way if someone wrote a comment I would be able to find it faster to read it or comment on it