Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laundromat vs. Laundry on the lot: Which do you prefer?

13...Next

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It depends on the family, but I prefer to get the washers.
    @igazor Washers are on the first floor. XD
    Yes I know, but you could have "forgotten" those in order to put in your snooker tables. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I only send my sims to the laundromat.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    bklienhart wrote: »
    As for my sims, I did send them to the laundromat once, long ago when I first began playing with Ambitions. But I didn't have them do any laundry there, because they couldn't afford it. By the time they can afford to throw away that much money a couple times a week, they can afford to have their own washing machine and clothesline.

A couple times a week? The laundry moodlets last about two weeks after a trip to the laundromat for me.

I always use a laundromat. I really hate either having piles of laundry all over the place, or a hamper in every room. I never heard of the super hamper, but I probably still won't use it.

I always put a mini-mall lot in my towns. It's got laundromat, consignment store, styling salon, and a variety of other shops, pet store, robot shop, college nerd shop, etc. Depending on which EPs I've got installed. They're great places for socializing.

It doesn't take that long for the hampers to get full. But I suppose that since there's no interaction for them to take the dirty laundry out of the hampers to take to the laundromat, you can get by without hampers if you use the laundromat instead? I didn't know anything about how that works in the game back then.

No, you don't need the hampers at home. Your sim's laundry automagically shows up.

I don't think I've seen the townies use them.
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    I only have my sims do laundry at home.
    igazor wrote: »
    Wait a minute, my sims are living and sleeping in cardboard boxes and eating out of garbage cans and you want them to have their own laundry machines? Yeah sure, I'll get right on that... >:):p

But seriously, I find that Nona's Superhampers, one per lot is sufficient, add a lot more orderliness to the entire laundry system. I found long ago that trying to do laundry the EA way on a super-sized lot that sleeps 50 (long story, but sort of a resort that I designed way before IP) was not a recipe for sanity, but since then most all of my residential lots except maybe very tiny ones use this system. I also find them essential in not actively played Dorms and other multi-unit living facilities where I want them to have laundry but prefer not to find the lots filled with floor to ceiling piles of dirty clothes from back to front, blocking everyone from actually doing anything or getting in and out of the front door, when I look inside or send someone over to visit.

I didn't even know the clothes could pile up! xD i usually just delete the laundromats on sight and have sims do laundry on their home lots. it's one of those aspects of the game that I like to see sims do in the background when I am focusing on something else . just adds a touch of realism but one thing i love about these discussions is that they give me new ideas like putting an arcade inside the laundromat to make the lot more interesting.

giphy.gif
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    @SarahTheRed Awesome laundromat! :star:

I didn't know the machines could be stacked like that! :open_mouth: Or are those CC? ;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    @thuggishsplicer Washing your clothes in the shower? Ouch. Or you just take your shower with your clothes on. Saves time. ;) (Works best with the never nude trait).
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    @SarahTheRed Awesome laundromat! :star:

I didn't know the machines could be stacked like that! :open_mouth: Or are those CC? ;)

@emorrill, the pictures from @SarahTheRed are from her Sims 4 game as TS4 has stackable washer/dryers in their game... ;)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    First Floor: laundromat, bowling, cafeteria/bar/snack lounge.

tumblr_plr1qzMktO1y0fxb6o1_1280.png

Closeup of laundry.

At least one of the cool things about TS4 is the fact that you can catch fire from doing laundry... :mrgreen: Any combustible sims happen in your laundromat yet? :D

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited January 2019
    That's the trade-off for being allowed to have front loading washing machines. TS3 machines cannot stack because they are all top loaders, at least not without a complicated rack/shelf system that also doesn't exist in the game. And everyone who says front loaders are better deserves to be set on fire every once in while for being so wrong.

Igazor, you've been complaining about front loading washers since they were foisted upon you IRL years ago. No one cared then, and they don't now.
    :rage:

Yeah, maybe it's time I found something else to rant and protest about... :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited January 2019
    It depends on the family and on the save. I realized I only play with a laundromat when I play in Twinbrook. But when I do I send some of my families there, if I think it makes sense for them. Most of them just have a washer and dryer on their lot. I use laundry most of the time, but I do have some saves where I never add washers or dryers and just pretend laundry doesn't exist. (Why can't that work in real life? Never buy a washer and poof! Your clothes are always clean!)
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @igazor Dang! I was too slow to get the joke! XD

@Nikkei_Simmer I've had a front load washing machine that almost caught on fire IRL!

@Hejix LOL!
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    edited January 2019
    lisasc360 wrote: »

@emorrill, the pictures from @SarahTheRed are from her Sims 4 game as TS4 has stackable washer/dryers in their game... ;)

Whoops. :no_mouth:

Thanks for the clarification. :star:

Edit to add: @igazor I'm with you on front loading washers. ;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    It depends on the family; I like and use both.
    I tend to make a laundromat for all my towns because IRL all towns have them....I live in a small town and I think we have 3 of them!
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I ignore the laundry system completely.
    Top loading washers and dryers are totally not a thing here. As well as laundromats, which is kind of a shame.
    Never heard of a front loading washer catch on fire.
    Also, as much as I like doing laundry, I really would prefer the sims method of just not buying a washer...
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
    emorrill wrote: »

Whoops. :no_mouth:

Thanks for the clarification. :star:

Edit to add: @igazor I'm with you on front loading washers. ;)

@emorrill, you're welcome... :)

And I also agree about the front loader washing machines. I much would rather prefer the top loading machines anyhow in case I need to open it open during a cycle and not wait until all of the water has emptied out of it.
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    I don't think the laundry is necessary, but if I'm looking for more realism or I just run out of ideas in large houses, I add them. I never use the laundry mat option. It takes away valuable space I could use for a home or venue.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I much would rather prefer the top loading machines anyhow in case I need to open it open during a cycle and not wait until all of the water has emptied out of it.

Good point. I have a top loading high efficiency (no agitator) washer. I hate it, and wish I'd never wasted the money on it. I should have kept my 30-year-old Kenmore, even though it did need repairs more often than it used to, but it was nothing my husband couldn't fix, and the parts were still available. I've been thinking of replacing the current piece of junk with a front loader, because my son loves his and recommends them. But I'm not so sure it would work in the space it would have to go in, due to limited room for opening the door. Your comment about needing to open it during a cycle, which I do frequently, just made up my mind for me.

I much would rather prefer the top loading machines anyhow in case I need to open it open during a cycle and not wait until all of the water has emptied out of it.

Good point. I have a top loading high efficiency (no agitator) washer. I hate it, and wish I'd never wasted the money on it. I should have kept my 30-year-old Kenmore, even though it did need repairs more often than it used to, but it was nothing my husband couldn't fix, and the parts were still available. I've been thinking of replacing the current piece of junk with a front loader, because my son loves his and recommends them. But I'm not so sure it would work in the space it would have to go in, due to limited room for opening the door. Your comment about needing to open it during a cycle, which I do frequently, just made up my mind for me.

@IreneSwift, hehehe, Glad that I could help you decide which one you want better... :) We had to get a new one some time last year and it's a top loader with the agitator. Plus the lid locks once it gets filled with the water. But sometimes a couple of the heavier clothes such as my jeans wants to goes to one side of the machine and not stay put causing the washer drum to go off balance and make a loud thudding noise. So I have to stop the machine to fix the clothes so that the machine can stay balanced. Granted that with a front loader machine, that wouldn't happen at all but I just don't trust the front loader as I fear that something might happen like a leaky door at some point in time. Now of course with the washer that I have, you would need to put in your fabric softener before closing the lid since it locks after filling up... :)
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Once I built and decorated the laundromat to use as a hangout place, it attracts real neat sims :smiley:

It's not that common though where I live; communal washers in the basement being more of the thing in apartments and to have your own if living in a house so I forgot about that venue. But the sims always get their wish fulfilled to get a machine and clothesline when they can afford it, the moodlets are great and they mostly do their own laundry without my interfering.
    automagically

I thought you made this word up, but it actually is a real one; so wonderful and perfect for this game.
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    I only do laundry at home, though the amount of clothes lying around is too much and unrealistic. It feels like too much effort to create a laundromat and send Sims there (especially in TS4, where there are so few lots to work with), though I might try it in TS3 when I play it again.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2019
    It depends on the family; I like and use both.
    I was just asking this question on fb, and I hope I really havent skimmed over it. So how does a sim utilize the laundromat without being a slob? Its hard to do, because my sims' laundry rarely hits the floor. What would I have to do? Thank you.
    EDIT: Just realized this is for ts3.
    For-forum.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I love watching my sims do laundry <3<3 It is a task I enjoy doing in RL but not the ironing !! I just wish our sims could do more domestic tasks like vacuum the house, iron, clean windows, change the bedsheets, dust, sweep the floor and then mop it properly. I should imagine this type of gameplay would have very limited appeal though so I am grateful that at least my sims can have clean clothes. Shame about the dirty windows and floors though :D:D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    The thing about laundromats is that they don't have to be boring. Of course they require washers and dryers, but how about adding a decent stereo system, a staffed LN bar or two, some video games or maybe table tennis or skee-ball, perhaps set up an Internet cafe type of structure? Or shelves of books to read and some tea tables or maybe a coffee barista if that's your thing? A karaoke machine, perhaps? Dance floors, hot tubs, and bubble machines might be a bit over the top for laundry day, but whatever it is that you think your town's sims might like would do.

By the way, it has been my experience that in real life there are two kinds of people. Those who say they enjoy doing laundry, and those who are telling the truth. ;)

I hate to contradict you @igazor but laundry has been part of my life since I received my first washing machine at the age of 3. It was pink and plastic but ideal for washing dolls' clothes in. I also got a toy ironing board and iron but I was not so keen on those. These days buying a new washing machine is right up there with buying a new car :D:D I'm also very cruel to my sims. They do not have washing baskets as I love watching them wandering round the house picking up piles of dirty clothes :D One thing I don't get though is why washing on a line still manages to dry in the pouring rain or in the middle of a snow storm. I presume this has something to do with the coding ?
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    edited February 2019
    I hate to contradict you @igazor but laundry has been part of my life since I received my first washing machine at the age of 3. It was pink and plastic but ideal for washing dolls' clothes in. I also got a toy ironing board and iron but I was not so keen on those. These days buying a new washing machine is right up there with buying a new car :D:D I'm also very cruel to my sims. They do not have washing baskets as I love watching them wandering round the house picking up piles of dirty clothes :D
    That would have been around the time that I got my first (toy) lawn mower. If anyone thinks I grew up loving to mow lawns and do yard work, they would be sadly mistaken. And don't get me started on getting a GI Joe when what I really wanted was an Easy Bake Oven. Although to this day I would still rather bake a cupcake than jump out of a plane, so go figure. But I can't blame those who raised me, unnecessary gender stereotypes were a Big Thing back then. Tonka Trucks were pretty cool, though. The sturdy metal ones with dangerous sharp edges (how did so many of us even survive our childhoods in such an unenlightened time...).

Anyway, I already corrected myself and addressed my unfortunate laundry quip here. ;)
    One thing I don't get though is why washing on a line still manages to dry in the pouring rain or in the middle of a snow storm. I presume this has something to do with the coding ?
    Exactly that, yes. Something is wet and causes other things to get/stay wet precisely when it is programmed to do so but not otherwise. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I only send my sims to the laundromat.
    Once I built and decorated the laundromat to use as a hangout place, it attracts real neat sims :smiley:

It's not that common though where I live; communal washers in the basement being more of the thing in apartments and to have your own if living in a house so I forgot about that venue. But the sims always get their wish fulfilled to get a machine and clothesline when they can afford it, the moodlets are great and they mostly do their own laundry without my interfering.
    automagically

I thought you made this word up, but it actually is a real one; so wonderful and perfect for this game.

So glad I could embiggen your vocabulary. ;)
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    So glad I could embiggen your vocabulary. ;)

(Auto)magically enhance it by your perfectly cromulent wording I would say :wink: