Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Micromanaging all the towns...

So I started a game where I have three main familys I am playing. However I kinda game every other sim in the game kinda a mini story and play them just enough to get together and have kids and things for my main family’s to interact with.
I am loving this playthrough but it is also driving me crazy. Trying to remember who’s kids and friends with who, who I have dating and all that...

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I love playing the game like this. Right now I am trying to build a whole cohesive base for everytime I would want to start a new save and I am doing exactly that. Except I am also jumping from households to build mode to make new community lots or what have you. Also integrating clubs, building relationships between neighbours, etc
    I am having more fun than ever with this game at the moment because of this.

@elanorbreton that is amazing! I should do this too, although knowing me, it would be a lot less thorough :D

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited September 2018
    Oh dear. I just use a beat up notebook I found under the seat of my car.
    Although, I could be more organised. I realised the other night that I haven't put down all the names of the in-born kids or their traits+aspiration or started to write down which kids I want to age up together along with finding out which of the townie kids (unhoused ones) will age up along with them :neutral::lol: I have a quite a work cut out for me. Maybe I should move into the 21st century and at least use word :smirk:
    But I find, that like in life, I am quite chaotic when it comes to my simming.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm trying this game style right now as well. It doesn't give me a chance to get bored with a family as much. I used to play in short life span (Because apparently I have a short attention span) but with this style I've been playing on long life and its great. I think I'll use @elanorbreton 's suggestion and make a spreadsheet too though because it DOES get very confusing very fast!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 403 Member
    I have one word for you: spreadsheet :D

I actually use OneNote for mine, have every single family in every hood listed. It looks like this:
    OneNote.JPG?dl=0

Of course, not everyone wants to be quite that OCD :)

What a Great Idea!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    I have been playing this way ever since TS1 :)

And yes, you need a spreadsheet of some sort. I have just 1 line per resident, grouped by household, and by hood/world. You can add whatever info you like, who they are related to, what are their traits and goals and career/hobby plans. I also have lots of DNA related info because I run DNA that is not featured by the game, like need of glasses, freckles, social status etc. Also I have favorite color/pattern/fabric because I like the idea of having a challenge when two sims' tastes are to be merged in a new household. And I have a lot more, like finances and stuff, but no photos.

I suggest you test your set up for a while with just your main sims info registered, because it will save you lots of time in case you want to do stuff differently after seeing how it works.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited January 2019
    That's a fantastic idea @elanorbreton

I think I will use the idea to put all my readymade families from "My Library" in as well as I like to use them again and again and it would get them in alphabetical order at last and no problems with using the same family twice. I'll use another column for Neighbourhood, rather than arranging them by that though as I tend to move them around!
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    @elanorbreton How did you create the subtabs within the main tabs to the right (i.e. the Dunn tab under the Willow Creek tab)?
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I have one word for you: spreadsheet :D

I actually use OneNote for mine, have every single family in every hood listed. It looks like this:
    OneNote.JPG?dl=0

Of course, not everyone wants to be quite that OCD :)

How much cost is OneNote?
    Thanks for you idea! I will test some as this in CherryTree! thanks!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2020
    That's how I play my older games, a memory system is a life safer, no extra work to do with making lists and graphs etc. Miss it in TS3 and TS4. While I think about it, story pictures for individual lots also helped jog my memory. Oops, see this thread is two years or older..
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @elanorbreton How did you create the subtabs within the main tabs to the right (i.e. the Dunn tab under the Willow Creek tab)?
    When you click on the main tabs, at the bottom of the column it should show a '+ section' option (right down the bottom of the page), just click on that.

@Kniga_Sitara Not sure about costing for everywhere else, I am in the UK and subscribe to office 365 which is an annual cost. You would need to go to the Microsoft site to check, or you may be able to pick up an older version from somewhere else (like ebay) at a much reduced price.
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    @elanorbreton thanks. Ik I have not office 365, so I try Cherrytree! Thanks for ideaa
    !
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Way too much work lol
    I rarely get to play - just making sure my mods are updated takes up my precious game time - heck I don't even take ingame photos much either
    Really need a mod to keep track from within the game
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Do you guys use NPCCC? How else do you keep your background population from changing so much?

I feel like a spreadsheet wouldn't work so well for me because I use MCCC to boost my background population.
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    I haven't played for a very long time. I am wondering, with this rotational type play, if ageing is on, do they just age or do they have children, progress and all that as well? What is the usual thing to do now, ageing all off, or adjusted to 'just this house' each time and off again before leaving ... something like that?
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    @elanorbreton How did you get the neighborhood tabs listed like that (the black\gray tabs)? I know how to add sections and pages to a tab but can’t figure out how to get a list quite like yours. So for example, I could create how you have your Willow Creek set up, but I can't figure out how to have any other neighborhoods as well. I’m sure I have a different version than you as mine looks a little different. Maybe in mine I can’t have it laid out quite the same.

I think I’ll have to create new notebooks to be the different neighborhoods instead of having it all listed together.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @juliekaye I believe I made that OneNote in the 2013 version. You could right click a section and select 'make new section group'. I think they have taken away that option in more recent versions though :(
  • BronstarrBronstarr Posts: 5 New Member
    Might be a bit off topic and i appologise. I micro manage my game. I keep hearing good luck restore the flame from my sims. Does anybody know how to do this?
    I've just been building, putting families in and decorating my houses lately and not 'playing' the game the game at all. I just went back to a family view and found half of them out all around the worlds. They seem to have been living their own lives whilst I've not been looking at them. It's all getting a bit creepy. :#
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    JasonPogo wrote: »
    I am loving this playthrough but it is also driving me crazy. Trying to remember who’s kids and friends with who, who I have dating and all that...

Have fun. :)

From my experiences, you might need to look into the contact lists of the sims from time to time as they might meet new sims while you are not watching. You might also pay attention to what they are doing while visiting community lots as townies.

Sometimes, my sims are not at home when I attempt entering their households. Other times, I get messages about sims I am not even playing but might be found e.g. on a square outside an apartment I play or somewhere at a restaurant the sim I play visit.

• juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    @elanorbreton Thank you - yeah, right clicking doesn't bring up any kind of option like that. That's too bad.
  • EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    And I thought my 100 Baby Challenge household with 8 Sims all the time was a lot of work ...

impressive.png
    edited March 2020
    I've filled all my worlds now with houses and families and now I find most of the families are visiting the swimming baths in Windenberg. I just wish there was a way of going to it without having to load a family and seeing what they are all getting up to there. Some of them have left their kids alone at home too! :o I'm starting to feel they don't need me at all.