Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a Village Challenge

GeiofXE.png

:blush:Credit
First of all I’d like to give a big dollop of credit to @Cinebar, as this is essentially a re-write of a challenge they posted (from 2017) which gave me a massive boost of inspiration. I think it was an absolutely fantastic idea and I wanted to revive it, so thank you for the permission!

Another big thanks to @BuildnShare who gave permission for me to use their entry form which is very handy (slightly adapted to fit the challenge).

:blush:Backstory
It is said that a sense of unrest was increasing within a small group of residents with the way things were being run in their home world. Rather than fighting an unwinnable battle with the greedy corporation family, these sims took action! They put their resources together and claimed their own slice of paradise in their new world.

:blush:The Buildings/Spaces Brief – 8 categories, 10 spaces total

Church/Mosque/Temple/Llama Shrine
Sims know there’s something bigger than themselves out there, and like to have a place to acknowledge that. Also marriage…

City Hall
Law, order, emergency services, a tonne of admin paperwork, something to show off to out of town visitors… Up to you!

Two Residences
One sim doesn’t make a town, but two’s a start. These can be as large or small as you desire, housing between 2 (one each) and 8 sims.

General Store
There’s not enough space for a mall, but sims don’t want to go to the next district every time they need something.

Two Entertainment Spaces
One should be family friendly such as a cinema, theatre, bowling alley (anywhere you would find toddlers to teens).
One should be aimed at young adults and older (e.g. pub/bar, nightclub, romantic spot… something more sophisticated and mature).

Village Green/Park
A communal outdoor place to relax or play.

School
Education’s important!

Water
Have at least 3x3 tile of water. After all, a sim's gotta drink.

:blush:Rules
· 50x50 lot in any world. Must be exact size, single lot.
· Any lot type (residential or public). You should have a reason for which one you picked (can be a short sentence or a backstory, whichever you prefer).
· Hashtag with #BuildaVillageChallenge
· Use hashtags #noCC/#withCC and #noMOO/#withMOO

:blush:Guidelines
Who: multiple families/sims – What: a town/village – When: Any time period/theme/location – Where: 50x50 lot – How: build/buy mode :wink:

Consider the ‘bigger picture’ when building! This lot is to be designed as a town rather than any single type of lot, and is for more than one family meaning there would be a diversity of tastes and interests, and is likely multi-generational.

‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’; do consider an overall cohesiveness when building all the buildings within your lot, but don’t feel restricted to have all the buildings same-same. Maybe one building was constructed 100 years after the other. It’s in your hands.

Since it’s a town with multiple separate buildings, you’ll probably want some roads or sidewalks to get around. Unless it’s not… up to you!

You can think about which buildings/spaces you might like to combine, or have all the spaces fully detached. Each space needs to be well defined, though!

:blush:Entry Form (Thanks again @BuildnShare
FORUM ID:
ORIGIN ID:
LEVEL*: (*Optional) (Whichever entry level you feel fits your current build level i.e. Starting Out, Established or Expert)
LOT:*: (*Optional) (Link to where the build can be found with on The Gallery)
LOT COST:
LOT NAME*: (*Optional) (Which lot you built on)
GALLERY COST: Found when you post to the gallery
TOTAL COST: (Lot cost and gallery cost added together)
LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Please include a link to your slideshow whether it's in your showcase thread or on a platform such as Imgur
ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Please state here as to whether or not you would like to receive constructive criticism for your entry, and/or your scorecard if electing to be scored)
CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: (Please give links to any CC, mods, and/or recolours you used in your entry)
SIM SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS*: (*Optional)
SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of four per entry, please use the BB code for 'spoiler' to post more if you'd like)

If you want to join in ‘just for fun’ you can skip the next post and get building! To the competitive, read on.
Post edited by SmallAurelius on

Comments

• SmallAureliusSmallAurelius Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2019
    :blush:Judging (Optional!)
    You can ask to be ‘judged’ or join in ‘just for fun’ with no judging. Also if you would like to judge too please message me. I originally wrote this as a ‘competition’ but honestly I just love the idea so I would like as many simmers as possible to join in, so whatever works for you :smile:

The entry form below has a section asking whether or not you would like feedback. You can ask for written comments AND/OR your score card OR neither. (I won’t post any scorecard with a total of less than 40/100, instead giving constructive feedback if asked for. You also can ask for comments if joining in ‘just for fun').

To all participating, I would ask that if people ask for feedback that you join in and that all feedback would either be positive or constructive (meaning no to ‘It looks bad’ but yes to ‘I think you could work on improving (proportion/landscaping/whatever).

:blush:Scorecard
    The following seven criteria amount to a possible score of 100 points

Completed entry form
    -/5
    Included all 10 spaces from the 8 categories
    -/5
    Interiors
    -/20
    Exteriors
    -/20
    Landscaping
    -/10
    Originality/Creativity
    -/10
    Showcase
    -/10
    Attention to detail
    -/10
    Overall wow factor
    -/10

*This can also be adapted to a ‘shell’ scorecard, meaning you will not be judged on interiors and the score will be given as a percentage rather than a score out-of/100. (Note: it may be difficult to distinguish what area is intended to be which space and it’s possible to lose some points on criterion 2 - ‘Included all spaces’).

:blush:Winners (Maybe)
    Entries for being scored close on 16/Feb/19 at midnight (Sydney, Aust. time). You are more than welcome to share creations in this thread after this time, but anyone wishing to treat this as a ‘competition’ would be best following the timeframe :smile:

I will aim to have a wrap-up/‘winners’ post up by 1/Mar/19 at midnight (that is, if more than three simmers choose to have this scored or as a ‘competition’).

Winners get fame, glory, and blessings from llama gnomes. Probably also a nomination for Maxis faves, y’know.

*I might see about making banner/s for winner/s but I’m quite out of practice, so this is a definite maybe.
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Oh this is so rad!! I'm a builder and I love a challenge! I will happily participate, my friend!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    I do have a question. I read the rules, but I want to clarify--does each participant build 1 lot, or do we build all 8 lots? Either way I'm game, this sounds fun!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Oh this is so rad!! I'm a builder and I love a challenge! I will happily participate, my friend!

I do have a question. I read the rules, but I want to clarify--does each participant build 1 lot, or do we build all 8 lots? Either way I'm game, this sounds fun![/quote]

Hi @Haids5987 I'm so glad you'd like to do the challenge! The idea is to build 10 buildings on the one 50x50 lot (10 as two of the building types have two buildings each - 2 Residential and the Entertainment category has one for family-friendly, and one for adult sims).

You also can combine two areas into one building (for example you might like to have a school room in the city hall), just as long as it's obvious what area has what purpose.

Most of all have fun :grin:
    sJJ7Xt4.png
    Here's a progress shot of what I'm up to so far. The church which has a vestry, and another residence on the 2nd storey of the smaller building which I'm fitting out as a pub at the moment, but I'm not sure if that will be its final form.

I have used terrain paints (sidewalk and road), street lights, and enlarged model cars to make it look more like a town :smile:

@Haids5987
  • ArrowBuildsArrowBuilds Posts: 76 Member
    Oh i am so excited to start this! One question though - can I upload my pictures to Twitter if i can't upload them on here? What do I hashtag for you to see them?
    edited January 2019
    Hi @ArrowBuilds welcome to the forum!

I'm glad the challenge is exciting to you! Hashtag #BuildaVillageChallenge on the gallery and I will find them :smile: . My sim twitter is @SmallAurelius so you can @ me if you like.

There's also lots of places you can post to get enough posts & points to become a full member in order to post photos on here (I suggest using Imgur to as an image-storage platform to share from once you get membership).

Try threads on the 'Off Topic Chat' category to post up and become a member. Also Introduce yourself in Rosemow's thread.

Happy simming!
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited January 2019
    @SmallAurelius This sounds really cool! :) Can I clarify something? Did you say that you need to label the lot as either residential or retail? If it's retail (and if one owns 'Go to Work') the store can be functioning for sim use but the owner household will have to have another residence to 'live' in, even if this lot's residences have beds/home use items and are usable on-site for that. And the household would have to purchase the lot as a business. On the other hand, if it is residential the household can live in the buildings, but the store/businesses will not be usable as retail, etc. So I guess what I am wondering most is if the build is just geared toward looks/design or to function in either one of these manners, as this would effect how I approached certain design aspects. I hope this makes sense. Anyway, this sounds so creative and exciting! Great idea! <3
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    I'm glad you like the idea of the challenge @SheriGR :mrgreen: You can list the lot as ANY type of building, it would just be good if you wrote a little sentence about why you picked which one. At the moment, as I am building mine I am thinking to have it as some type of community lot, possibly a park because the whole concept is reminding me of Westworld which is a park (even though it's not Western/desert theme).

So basically I'm not too fussed - your lot type can inform your design, or your design can inform your lot type, up to you :smile:
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I may join
    Oh hamburgers!
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    And I’d like to be judged on it.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    I'm glad you like the idea of the challenge @SheriGR :mrgreen: You can list the lot as ANY type of building, it would just be good if you wrote a little sentence about why you picked which one. At the moment, as I am building mine I am thinking to have it as some type of community lot, possibly a park because the whole concept is reminding me of Westworld which is a park (even though it's not Western/desert theme).

So basically I'm not too fussed - your lot type can inform your design, or your design can inform your lot type, up to you :smile:

Thank you. I will put on my thinking cap. :)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    @Bubbz3388 Hello! It would be lovely if you joined. I will do my best to judge well :smile:

@SheriGR I bet it suits you :grin:
  • janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you for this! I've been trying to find build challenges--it's my favorite thing to do in Sims! :)
    Spiral staircases please!
  • HIGHER_DESIGNHIGHER_DESIGN Posts: 57 Member
    I'm looking forward to submitting, and thank you for the opportunity. MAC-Design

Entry Form
    Build a Village Challenge

FORUM ID: MACDesign
    ORIGIN ID: MAC-Design
    LEVEL*:
    LOT:*: Early America
    LOT COST: 25,000
    LOT NAME*: Oakenstead, Willow Creek
    GALLERY COST: 240,004
    TOTAL COST: 265,004
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow Album

ENTRY DETAILS: Early America, is designed as small community-based village that is looking for applicants for residency within the newly renovated homes on lot. First esablished in colonial Massachusetts, during the 18th century, many of the communal buildings feature original hardwood flooring, and finshes that date back to the pre World War II era. New residence can enjoy the narrow foot paths, original school house, and community garden all within walking distance of each home.

Town Accomadations Include a; Community Garden, Chuch, School House, City Hall, French Off-Grid Cottage, Small Bathing Spring, Local Pub, Public Libary, Country General Store, and three seperate private living quarters. Applications for Residency are limited, but open to Sims of all ages ready for a community based lifestyle. Worth the download, Enjoy!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes. Thank you.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Used only bb.moveobjects in game.

RrrCcn1.png
    edited August 2019
    I appreciate any feedback! Thank you.
    Post edited by HIGHER_DESIGN on
  • shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    @MACDesign I Love your village! You're a great builder! I can see my sims living there. I hope it IS going to be a thing. Hopefully @SmallAurelius will judge your work for you. I think it is fantastic!
    My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
    edited August 2019
    Thank you so much for all the kind words @shakerella . If you have the Sims and required packs, I invite you to download it! You can find me in the EA gallery under HIGHER-DESIGN :)
    Post edited by HIGHER_DESIGN on
  • shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    Even though the contest is over I think I will try to make a village myself.

@MACDesign You are welcome! I just downloaded it and will check it out! I actually love small communities like this.
    My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    That's really an amazing lot. It's beautiful.
  • DamaroDamaro Posts: 387 Member
    Omg, great work at the landscaping @MACDesign :o
    It looks rpg-ish but also very natural! :D.
    Thank you both so much @damaro and @Simpatsyann !