Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you usually use the terrain tools? And how often?

Since they release the terrain tools in TS4 I tried to use it, but I never figured a good way to. Because of the fact that the worlds are plain and so are the lots, it feels unnecessary or too difficult to find a way to make good use of it. So I wanna know your opinions too, maybe I can discover new ideas to build my houses. Thanks.

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    In previous Sims games, I always flattened the lot first off. The only terrain tool I used was the water tool. However, it's one of those things that even though I'm unlikely to use it, I'm glad they added it. I enjoy seeing what more creative types (like the post above) do with them.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Just small effects, I don't care for the house on a mini mountain look.
  • jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    So far I've mostly used them to make subtle changes in the terrain for gardens and such, and for stairways to heightened entrances.
    An example of both combined is my latest build:
    img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/0c96b10488d696e616d6d7f27ab772fc/tumblr_pkt9ngLU6K1v8k7elo10_1280.jpg[/img]
    The area around the pool is slightly sunken, and the stairs towards the temple are raised.

Another example of stairways:
    tumblr_pjqn9gU6mL1v8k7elo9_1280.jpg
    I've been rebuilding Selvadorada, hence all the temple like structures.

And this is an example of smaller, more subtle variations in terrain:
    tumblr_pi90oiuEcc1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_pi90oiuEcc1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_pi90oiuEcc1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    This one's still a WIP, got distracted by other builds.
    Obviously, the size of the lot you're building on also is a factor. Small lots don't leave much room for terrain manipulation, whereas on large lots, they can be the perfect way to quickly fill up the lot with unique landscaping.

Wow, I really like the temple and the idea to use the terrain to make this kind of stairs, thank you :)

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I often used it to raise a small plot of land for my sims' tombstones.

I also remade a house from TS2 that was on a small hill and had stairs to the front and back porches. Now my family lives there, and I added a raised pool in the backyard to match the raised terrain.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've only built once after the terrain tools. I made the house where I was born. There is one entrance with stairs and another that leads to 0,5 floor (sort of) which we can't have, so I raised the terrain to have that entrance on the ground level and create the illusion that I needed. The yard was a lot of work but I'm quite pleased with it now. Maybe I'll post a pic later.
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    It's okay. The default size for the smallest tool is still quite large, needs to scale down a bit. I do not have a scroll wheel mouse for this setting.
    Mostly, I use it for driveways to a garage.

I played around with making hills and waterfalls, but nobody seems interested in downloading those from the gallery and it's a problem when the camera bounces around because of the level change in play mode, so I've gone back to using a flat terrain.

Since the update, I noticed that thumbnail images are much smaller, like there is something one level above that we cannot see. A two story house with a default pitch roof on a 30x20 lot in Willow Springs or Newcrest is very small in the thumbnails, I've had to lower or remove the roof to get a normal size image of my build.

Nice try though. Probably will only use it occasionally and for a driveway.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I haven't got around to trying it yet but I'm definitely going to experiment in the near future.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Marjia wrote: »

I played around with making hills and waterfalls, but nobody seems interested in downloading those from the gallery and it's a problem when the camera bounces around because of the level change in play mode, so I've gone back to using a flat terrain.

I'd love to see some images of your hills and waterfalls. I might even download a lot or two.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2019
    It is an nice tool to have no doubt but it depends on the size of each lot how much flexability you have within that lots constraints as you cannot alter that lots size to get what your true vision for that lot but it still an good tool. I have yet to use it as I am disillusioned about Sims 4 and hardly play it now for the cloud has came down and I see Sims 4 for what it really means to me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    In previous Sims games, I always flattened the lot first off. The only terrain tool I used was the water tool. However, it's one of those things that even though I'm unlikely to use it, I'm glad they added it. I enjoy seeing what more creative types (like the post above) do with them.

I feel the same way! I'm not much a builder at all; my Sims tend to live in very boxy, basic lots. But I'm glad they added the terrain tools for people who like them and who will build nice lots.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I actually haven't. I really did not see a point to it as the lot will look out of place with the surroundings.
    Here's the pic of the house that I mentioned earlier. Still working on it :smile:
    QNcfr4S.png
  • jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    Marjia wrote: »
    It's okay. The default size for the smallest tool is still quite large, needs to scale down a bit. I do not have a scroll wheel mouse for this setting.
    Mostly, I use it for driveways to a garage.

Since the update, I noticed that thumbnail images are much smaller, like there is something one level above that we cannot see. A two story house with a default pitch roof on a 30x20 lot in Willow Springs or Newcrest is very small in the thumbnails, I've had to lower or remove the roof to get a normal size image of my build.

Nice try though. Probably will only use it occasionally and for a driveway.

Yes, this camera bouncing thing is really a problem that bugs me a lot. Can you share your ID so I can see your waterfall buildings? Thanks.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    edited January 2019
    I used to flatten the lots too.
    I've experimented with the tool and now have one house with a small lump hill in the front garden :D
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • emilysemilys Posts: 24 Member
    I like using it to have raised pools, lowered garden plots, and other garden features!
    Ratpicklerick.png
  • SmallAureliusSmallAurelius Posts: 184 Member
    I made this for the Fairplay Gnome Takeover Challenge (https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16917042)
    Gallery name: 'Gno-Me Well' (link n/a due to CC)
    EAID: SmallAurelius
    Full screenshot folder: https://imgur.com/a/7dcHTjP

CC credits: CC painting from reference by #SmallAurelius, using letters from @LeahLaz. Available from TSR: Lynn bedroom set (pouff) by Ung999 / Delicata teen bedroom set (hanging chair) by SIMcredible / ArtVitalex Siena bed.

FleCyxZ.png
    Front angle

PwmHgEp.png
    Floorplan

Vro3oKU.png
    "Yee haw I'm ridin' a llama y'all!"

vUwQlaS.png

I had a play around with it for the Gnome fairplay challenge. I found it a bit difficult painting the hills and things - it would be super awesome if there was a topographical map type function you could toggle on/off. I'm not super in love with the paints either, I felt like TS3 maybe had better paints (but it's a few years since I played that so I dunno). It would also be good to have a snap-to grid toggle on/off because it can be a bit tricky painting long straight lines of terrain like I'm using in my Build a Village Challenge for roads.

Anyways I'm glad that they're available, and even though I don't use them heaps at the moment I will be hopefully using them more as my creating skills increase :smile:
    edited January 2019
    This is my newest project and first time going for more radical terrain editing. The build is on the gallery, called it Windenburg Old Tower. The tools felt okay to use but fine tuning the terrain can be really hard. I tried to keep things simple and got the basic ideas executed.

HTa6oXj.png
    5LAiA16.png
  • illustratahillustratah Posts: 34 Member
    > @Marjia said:
    > It's okay. The default size for the smallest tool is still quite large, needs to scale down a bit. I do not have a scroll wheel mouse for this setting.
    > Mostly, I use it for driveways to a garage.
    >
    > I played around with making hills and waterfalls, but nobody seems interested in downloading those from the gallery and it's a problem when the camera bounces around because of the level change in play mode, so I've gone back to using a flat terrain.
    >
    > Since the update, I noticed that thumbnail images are much smaller, like there is something one level above that we cannot see. A two story house with a default pitch roof on a 30x20 lot in Willow Springs or Newcrest is very small in the thumbnails, I've had to lower or remove the roof to get a normal size image of my build.
    >
    > Nice try though. Probably will only use it occasionally and for a driveway.

Waterfalls sounds interesting. How would you go about emulating the water? Made me think of maybe trying somehow incorporating sprinklers. :)
  • illustratahillustratah Posts: 34 Member
    I usually just use the terrain tools to make small hills/irregularities to make different builds look more interesting.

The latest thing I tried was to make a tiny house on wheels by having the house actually "floating" a bit above ground. To do that, I made a two story house, lowered the first story down underground until the second story was just above ground level, and then deleted the first level. The ground levels out that way and gives the house a floating effect. Then I made some wheel CC and added that to the sides. Although, it is technically still on the second floor, and I'm not sure about playability that way, but I just made it for the building fun rather than playing. :)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Still haven't used them once....
    p8L4V6v.png
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    I don't use them, but then I'm not much of a builder lol.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • AmbyCakesAmbyCakes Posts: 32 Member
    My builds are usually flat and squared off so I rarely use it tbh. ^_^
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I usually use it for elevating my homes so that there are levels of stairs approaching the front door. Otherwise, I agree that it's difficult to find a use for the tool. The most I've ever done with the terrain was made a lighthouse on a large hill with cascades of stairs leading to the coast. That actually looked quite nice, but I needed a HUGE lot, otherwise it would have looked awful. I hope the next world we get in TS4 has lots that already have terrain editing or at least has some areas where terrain editing would blend in.