Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we have a delete thread option?

Maybe the thread could be reviewed by a mod , before being deleted. But it would be nice.

Comments

• AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    That would be so good! The majority of my discussions that I've put up are questions like "No weather in Del Sol Valley?" "Does the weather machine work?" or "Should I update my game?" back in November, where I clearly got my answers early on in the thread (not in the update one; I went on my computer and it did the update itself) so there's no point of the thread existing anymore.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    You can flag your own thread and ask the EA staff to delete it.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Yeah it's nothing something that they're going to allow us to as this has been brought up in other discussions.

One of the reasons why they won't do this is accountability. Everyone is held accountable to what we post on this site.

I'm going to post over here what I've posted in another thread about why it is also a bad idea to be able to delete our own threads. Plus I think it would be best to just close threads that someone has made asking a question that got resolved by other members of the site as they can be helpful for other Sims players that might have the same issue as the original post/er had.
    I think I'm going to have to agree with igazor on this. If this was an option, then I think it would deter people from wanting to post on someone else's thread knowing that at some point in time that the OP will want to delete it as well as their posts especially in help threads. There are many of us who do like going back to older threads and rereading the posts that's in them. I still think that it's best to just go and ask for the thread to be closed if the OP doesn't want anyone else to post in it and it's still there for others to read.

Edit to say that even though you might want it to be able to delete older threads, there would be others that would want it to delete their newer threads, especially the ones where people are criticizing the OP for their opinions And if someone ends up deleting every single thread that's caused problems, then members of the forums would start to avoid posting in any of that members thread just because that person can't handle criticism of any kind. jmo

This thread has one of the former EA moderators giving a small explanation on why they can't do this.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16706056#Comment_16706056
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Annnnnddd...thats why I said what I said about a mod reviewing it first. Most other forums in 2019 have a delete feature, it only makes sense @lisasc360
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Annnnnddd...thats why I said what I said about a mod reviewing it first. Most other forums in 2019 have a delete feature, it only makes sense @lisasc360

The best thing would be to just hit the report button if you want a thread of yours deleted and we won't get in trouble for reporting it and asking for it to either be closed or deleted. The EA_team management had already said that they will not enable that for us to do for several of reasons.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    Annnnnddd...no, they do not. Or none of the ones I moderate or participate in do anyway at least not without a strict 30 minute or something time limit from creation so as to allow users to fix up duplicate posts and total oopsie moments on their own. It only takes once or twice for a member to be helpful to someone by making some effort to answer their questions (provide feedback, post up some screenshots, offer up a well thought out counterpoint, etc.) only to have their posts disappear because the entire thread was deleted before no one will want to participate anymore. I've walked away from the few forums I've seen that allow this myself because posting there on others' threads so often becomes a colossal waste of time. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    @igazor

Annnnnddd every forum i have frequented does have that option. Not about to argue with the issue any further, with self appointed forum policemen. I posted this thread so that I could suggest the idea to the MODS that they could possibly review threads before deleting them.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Maybe the thread could be reviewed by a mod , before being deleted. But it would be nice.

I love the idea.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    @TheHarbinger_51 - Then you're right, we should let the moderators respond and say (again) why we will not have this feature.

I post and discuss (not argue) ideas on this forum section because I like this forum and the community here and have an interest in it continuing to be a fun, constructive, and less than stressful place to be. Not so that I can consider myself a self-appointed anything. Although it is about the forums themselves, this is still is a discussion board. I am sorry that you were not interested in some of the responses thus far. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to stop this argument here - sharing opinions is ok, attacking each other is not, so let's keep things polite.

Thanks for sharing your idea, suggestions are always welcome! In this case, however, our stance hasn't changed and we won't be adding this option.
    As others have suggested, if there's a particular thread you would like to see removed you can always use the report button and explain to us why. Keep in mind threads are removed under special circumstances only, as their removal not only affects you, but everyone in the community.

AriaMad2 wrote: »
    That would be so good! The majority of my discussions that I've put up are questions like "No weather in Del Sol Valley?" "Does the weather machine work?" or "Should I update my game?" back in November, where I clearly got my answers early on in the thread (not in the update one; I went on my computer and it did the update itself) so there's no point of the thread existing anymore.
    Some users edit their topics to add something like [SOLVED] in the title once they are happy with the answers received. If you would like a particular thread to get closed for some reason, you can also flag the topic explaining why and we will review your request.
    The information shared in the forums can help many other Simmers with the same questions you had in the future - that's one of the things I like most about forums! So we don't remove threads solely because the questions in them are answered.