Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilities for Sims 4? Tea leaves are leaning to Yes

1234568...Next

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't want to see just physically disabled Sims, but I'm also unsure of how mental disabilities could be input.

Perhaps Sims could get long-lasting depression? Or bi-polar? They might have moods that were uncontrollable no matter what you did. Or certain options might be greyed out unless you did something to fix their trauma. Like visit a therapist or take medication. Obviously it's more complicated than that. I spent six years being depressed. It's really hard to think how to make a Sim appear 'different' when you think about the way Sims behave if you leave them on their own for five minutes anyway.

It would be like a huge upgrade to Sims and their personality programming.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    As a disabled person (both mentally and physically, though all invisible), I do not want this in my game. Sure, throw in some objects like wheelchairs, canes, hearing aids for those who want to make "disabled" sims in their stories, but leave the actual disabilities out. I live vicariously through my sims, as many do - making them do the things I cannot any longer. Thanks to fibro and CFS I can barely get out of bed most days, and that's just the physical side. Being reminded of all the things I can't do sounds like so much fun, not. And I'm sure that no one else wants to play someone who can't bloody get out of bed ALL DAY, except maybe to go to the bathroom.
  • > @WildIrishBanshee said:
    > As a disabled person (both mentally and physically, though all invisible), I do not want this in my game. Sure, throw in some objects like wheelchairs, canes, hearing aids for those who want to make "disabled" sims in their stories, but leave the actual disabilities out. I live vicariously through my sims, as many do - making them do the things I cannot any longer. Thanks to fibro and CFS I can barely get out of bed most days, and that's just the physical side. Being reminded of all the things I can't do sounds like so much fun, not. And I'm sure that no one else wants to play someone who can't bloody get out of bed ALL DAY, except maybe to go to the bathroom.

I have to agree. Especially as adding things like Autism would be a nightmare - too many different levels of severity in different areas of life, I don't want my Autistic sim to either be only super smart or stuck as a toddler and technically the game is hard enough as it is without adding that in.

The amount of time it takes for sims to do things is unbelievable! And my parents I think take forever to do things - daydreaming or falling asleep because of my disabilities takes a up a lot of my time but my sims are worse. :#
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited January 2019
    On another note, I've discussed this with a few people before. I don't want this in my game, at all. I play sims to get away from stuff like this.

It also seems like a HUGE task. The animations alone for things like broken legs, missing legs, etc etc. But getting on to mental illnesses. Two people with Autism can have completely different symptoms. Then we get into account there's high functioning and low functioning, and there's hundreds of mental illnesses. It is impossible to represent everyone and they're bound to offend someone somewhere, even if they do years of research.

I hate to call things a waste of time since I'm sure this is very important to someone out there, but I just don't want it anywhere near my game.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • ellonwheelsellonwheels Posts: 2 New Member
    I've been a wheelchair user since childhood. It's not a tragedy; it's part of my life. A big part. I've always wanted to be able to make "me" in the game. I can make a walking me, but I'd like to be able to make "me" like I am. If you don't want to play with wheelchairs, don't. But many of us want to, and I believe that having wheelchairs and being able to build accessible housing would be a learning experience for those who are unfamiliar with the challenges. Why not? Yes, wheelchairs disturb some people. In the past, skin color and gender bothered some people. Eventually, people get over their prejudices, but not when the entire world conspires to pretend you don't exist. We do. We are normal humans with the same needs and desires as others. We just use wheelchairs. So, let us play, too. There are elements of the game I'm not interested in playing with. I just don't play with those. People who are really opposed to wheelchairs, canes, assistive dogs, hearing aids, etc., don't have to play with those items. But for those of us who do want to, why in the world not? The biggest reason I can see is that there would have to be some modifications to building to allow for accessible housing and lots, but obviously it is possible to create ramps, since you've done it a lot in park lots. There are also elevators as options. It could open up new building challenges to people and perhaps make some people actually think about the challenges that face real people who have limitations due to their physical abilities. You'd be surprised how many public spaces are still not accessible 18 years post-ADA. The vast majority of us face some sort of physical impairment at some point in life. It's a big part of life, whether permanent or temporary. Let's play with life!
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I think it would be an amazing idea, I already use cc to try to make my sims blind but it's impossible for them to be deaf in game so I'd love this pack so much
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I would not mind those things in game if they include a toggle to turn off these features for player that would not went to use those features ingame
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I would want real disabilities in my game, even though I'm not disabled and it wouldn't offend me in any way. It just doesn't feel right in a game like the sims. The problem I have with this is that everyone is experiencing disabilities differently and people can not only feel excluded, but also offended when their disability is portrayed wrongly in the game or not how they experience it. Also, as many others have already said, many people with disabilities try to escape from real life through the sims, and of course don't want to be reminded of it while playing.

What I would suggest instead is implementing sims disabilities, fictional ones that aren't based on real life disabilities. This way, nobody would get offended and people who want disabilities still get them.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Someone had the idea of temporarily having a broken limb and having to wear a cast... I think that could be fun and add gameplay value to the sims franchise.

Maybe instead of specific genetic or other permanent physical/mental/emotional disabilities, there could be a more interesting system of character flaws implemented in the sims franchise. Each of which would have interesting and humorous challenges and add gameplay content.
  • ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    My mother was in a wheelchair, and she loved The Sims 3. But she always wished she could play as a Sim in a wheelchair. She could still play the game differently to her real life. Yet with every new pack, she felt a sense of disappointment that disabilities were still not included.
    I have a chronic illness and use either a walking stick, or walker to get around (depending on the day); amongst my other, less visible health issues. And I would love to have the option to play as a sim with a disability. ANY sort of disability.
    If they do include disabilities, there should be an choice whether to include it in their game. If it comes in a patch, great. If it's in a EP or GP, that's fine. I'd DEFINATELY buy the pack.
    I understand that some people don't want it (for a whole range of reasons), but others do (for just as many, and just as valid reasons). I understand peoples concerns about how it would be handled, or about not including EVERY type of disability - both physical and mental (which, let's be real, would be IMPOSSIBLE). But starting with a few, and perhaps building on from there, would be great.
    At least in my personal opinion.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Valeah wrote: »
    My mother was in a wheelchair, and she loved The Sims 3. But she always wished she could play as a Sim in a wheelchair. She could still play the game differently to her real life. Yet with every new pack, she felt a sense of disappointment that disabilities were still not included.
    I have a chronic illness and use either a walking stick, or walker to get around (depending on the day); amongst my other, less visible health issues. And I would love to have the option to play as a sim with a disability. ANY sort of disability.
    If they do include disabilities, there should be an choice whether to include it in their game. If it comes in a patch, great. If it's in a EP or GP, that's fine. I'd DEFINATELY buy the pack.
    I understand that some people don't want it (for a whole range of reasons), but others do (for just as many, and just as valid reasons). I understand peoples concerns about how it would be handled, or about not including EVERY type of disability - both physical and mental (which, let's be real, would be IMPOSSIBLE). But starting with a few, and perhaps building on from there, would be great.
    At least in my personal opinion.

The only thing I am requesting about this is they do it right. Using a walker is a much slower process than just walking in TS4. I would hate to see that protrayed as any Sim using a walker is just as fast as one who is not using one. But then again, I really don't think many people would play a Sim using a walker, or or want to stand and wait on a Sim using a walker as gameplay, because we always have complaints about time management and things take too long or it's annoying while a Sim stands and waits etc. Those complaints are in every iteration. I really don't see a vast majority of players engaing with disabled Sims if it would hinder in any way their idea of time management. Simply because of the complaints for years of how long something may take to do. No matter what it is, so if they made it so the Sim is slower than others while walking I think many would mod it out and then it's just set dressing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    It's possible to have disabilities in Sims 4.
    We already have mermaids with missing legs, bandaged arms, artificial arms, eye glasses & Sims that don't know how to get dressed.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's possible to have disabilities in Sims 4.
    We already have mermaids with missing legs, bandaged arms, artificial arms, eye glasses & Sims that don't know how to get dressed.

Also transport caegory (sort by room> Outdoors > transportation) where could find weelchairs
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I have been asking for this feature for years (since Sims 2).

While I understand that some do not want it to be added to the game, I think it would be a good idea to at least get players exposed to the idea that there are people in the world who do have physical disabilities (like me), and that they want to be included (inclusion is the first step to acceptance). It is not all fun and games living with a disability. Trust me, there are things I hate about having my disability but I also love my life because it has taken me places I probably would have never gone to if I didn't have it. I think there could be a way to show the positive side without making everyone upset about this being added to the game.

I just hope the developers are able to implement physical disabilities in a way that makes those of us who want it happy that they took the time to ask people with disabilities (like myself) what things they want and how they want them added.

you got to remember it's a hot button topic and a lot of peopel hate themselvs for not being "normal" I hate myself for that reson sometimes it feels like it's my fault.
  • MbraybuildsMbraybuilds Posts: 3 New Member
    When I had cancer I felt very alone and found it difficult to cope with. I couldn't talk about it at home because I didn't want to upset my family members any further. The only thing that helped me at home was playing Sims 4. The micro managing completely took my mind off my cancer and gave me a chance to escape from it. Now that my cancer is cured, I still live with the consequences of having had cancer and also the real possibility of it returning at some stage.
    I am triggered by severe illnesses. I saw a you tube video where someone had included it in a mod. I had to switch it off. I wouldn't play Sims 4 anymore if Cancer or terminal illness was included in that way, not for some silly snowflake reason but because I just can't cope with it and I need escapism. Sims 4 helped me to feel happy and have a positive frame of mind, it still does.

One other thing, I found the toilet protests in my game disturbing. I had single sex loos in my game and found a lot of men hanging around inside the ladies loos. As I know of someone who was 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in a public loo it was just too much to deal with.

Please remember that some people need safe spaces. Please keep Sims 4 as a safe space.

In some senses disabilities are already present in the game through cas traits and in the medical profession.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2019
    Many people in wheelchairs have adapted and overcome many challenges. They do amazing things outside their physical limitations. But not all people are the same, many need coping skills, and many never accepted or adapted and or overcame their limitations. How would that be protrayed? Do we want to play the Sim will somehow succeed and be able to shoot baskets while in a chair while we know in truth many people still can't nor have they overcome the fear of failing or the frustration of failing and or trying and failing. What happens to the Sim who becomes extremely frustrated when they try to do something and because of a physical limitation they are upset and or become a loner or stay inside or no longer try to do the things they have to struggle with? Do we really want the game to have magical fixes? Such as if they just try they can do it? Viola? Everything is roses again? I don't think I want to play that type of false hope, either. And set dressing and everything cherries isn't my idea of protraying this with any understanding or insight, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.