March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Honest opinions about Sims 4.

13...Next

Comments

• MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    edited January 2019
    It's included with Origin Access. Not the expansions, but the base game. It's not like you have to buy it, you can at least get a feel for it with the $5 for a month subscription. And if you don't like it, you can just not keep playing and cancel your subscription.

ETA: The expansions certainly improve it, but you don't need them to get started. There's enough in it to keep you occupied for a while while you make up your mind.
  • EvviEvvi Posts: 19 Member
    I've honestly never played the game without any expansions, though I can see how that might get boring a bit. Overall, I think it is a pretty good game if you're willing to shell out for a few expansions. Compared to sims 3, it runs leagues better on my computer...sims 3 can be clunky, even on my gaming laptop and with modifications to make it run faster. Multitasking is cool. And I didn't like the cartoony art at first, but after going back to sims 3 after playing sims 4 for a while, I much prefer it to sims 3 style.

That said, there are some things I'm missing from previous games. Open world is a big one for me, though I know the implementation of open world was part of why sims 3 runs so badly, and it would take a lottt of time and effort. Story progression isn't the greatest, but like with sims 3, there are mods (MCCC) to help with that. Also, some of the things that maybe I took for granted in sims 3 and sims 2 take WAY LONGER in sims 4--i.e., showering, cooking, eating. So if you get 4, I'd definitely get some mods that help speed all those up or else it might get annoying. Speaking of sluggishness, it feels like skills also take forever to level up to me (but again, mods can help you adjust that). I like CAS and the clothes/hair, so I don't play with much CAS CC, but as others have mentioned, there is no color wheel, which is a bit of a bummer. Although I must say I LOVE the gender options in sims 4, and the way anyone of any gender ca wear whatever. Toddlers are also great and super realistic, but that can also make them tiring...haha...build mode is pretty cool though if you're into that!

As compared to sims 2, I honestly sometimes get the urge to go back to sims 2 and binge because there is a lot of heart in the series, despite the lack of story progression/problems where breathing wrong on your screen would cause irreversible neighborhood corruption. There were a lot of little details in the sims 2 that I really appreciated, like couples cuddling in bed, children dancing on their parents' feet, pillow fights...Honestly if the corruption issues didn't exist, sims 2 would probably still be my main game.

But overall (tl;dr), I'd say sims 4 feels like a sort of updated sims 2 with better graphics, faster loading times, better game performance, and with some homage to the silly but intimate details of sims 2 (although I think there are some simple moments lacking). Fin. +1 to @Maggiedoll 's idea too, $5 a month for a trial run of the game might help you decide!
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2019
    It is a good game, and it has improved with each expansion. With that said it started off on the wrong foot with a lack of content and has been fighting uphill for almost five years and still has yet to approach what most of us would call a “complete package”.

There’s been progress, for sure, but it’s been at a snail’s pace and since EA is shifting toward a GaaS model, you can bet this is by design, to keep us loyal simmers on the hook.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    It is a good game, and the packs definitely make it better. I honestly think The Sims 3 is much better, in my opinion the best one on the franchise. But The Sims 4 performance compared to The Sims 3 is a billion times better. That's what makes me play TS4 instead. So if you own TS3 and it runs well in your computer, I say keep playing it and forget Sims 4. But if you're like me and gets super stressed with all the bugs and lags and crashes, then definitely go with Sims 4.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Love the game eveb if it needs lot of improvements on personalities, romance etc.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2019
    Not really a fan. I wanted to like the game when it first came out but it just doesn't keep me interested like the previous games did, and still do. Not to mention all the bugs added/re-added with each new pack. I've also been seeing a few people notice that some packs don't work well with each other.

-Like Seasons not working well with City Living or Get Together (When geek con is on a rainy day, none of the electronics work. Same with outdoor parties and the DJ booth.)
    - Get Famous not working with either Get to Work or Dine Out (Famous people making it hard to run retail stores, bakeries, or restaurants. Doctors not being able to get in to clubs to treat patients due to low fame level)

Things like this just make me feel like the devs didn't put as much effort or thought in to this game as they did the others. I know that sims 3 had as many, if not more bugs than this one, but it redeems itself for me by being more engaging in its game play, at least in my opinion.

Edited: for grammar.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I preordered the base game (deluxe version) and played it in September 2014. I have played a bit approximately 200 hours since then trying to like it even a fraction of how much I enjoyed just the base game of ts3. I even purchased extra content to try to make it more interesting since I've noticed that so many who like ts4 say that the game only becomes fun to play with more content or mods or cc. My honest opinion? It disappoints. Every attempt.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2019
    It's pretty. The sims and graphics look very nice. However, it's lacking in a lot of things. After a while, everything starts to feel the same. There are a few good dlc packs, but it all depends on your play style. It's very hard for me to play the game without mods.

Sorry about my jumbled thoughts! All in all, the game's actually pretty disappointing to me, but I keep playing because I want to see it be good :P
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    This are just my personal opinions from playing the Sims franchise and recently giving 4 another try. I bought Sims 4 the first month it was out, so it was just the base game at that point, the Game packs and Stuff packs weren't out yet. I got pretty bored within a few hours of actual gameplay.

I've loved each one of the Sims incarnations, each brought something great to the franchise. Sims 4 has a amazing CAS, I can easily sculpt certain facial features, and I don't need a bunch of sliders to achieve different and varied looks in Sims. I can spend a hour or 2 in CAS, tweaking and changing my Sims before I load a world. But, a majority of the gameplay for me just feels flat. The game seems a bit more linear than the previous games. I feel the base game was almost built around people needing some DLC in order to liven up the game. I know expansions and DLC always made 1,2 and 3 better, but I didn't feel like those games were bare bones without Vacation or Seasons.

I'm disappointed with the personality traits, I feel like Sims 2 and 3 did it better. I'm hoping that they add a Hot Date, or similar expansion to introduce a nice romance mechanic. The game feels a bit incomplete without any sort of attraction, or turn ons and offs.

Sims 4 does seem to be built with modding in mind, I notice there are a lot more mods, and huge overhauls like Pre K and College. Things that came out very late into the lifespan of Sims 3, or not at all.

The things that Sims 4 did better, just doesn't stack up (for me), to the previous games. It feels in many ways like stepping backwards in the franchise. I really wanted to fall in love with this game, like I did with the past ones, but I still find myself getting bored very easily.

• ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    More than any of the other Sims games, it's entirely what you make of it. Some might get bored and quit right away. Some people might like it right out of the box and be able to keep playing it the same way, but I find I have to keep being original and use what's there to play a different way again and again. Part of it is due to parts of the game always bugging out (like to be an actor right now, for instance, but part of it is bugged and makes it hard to do). Or you can add mods to change it even more. You can have fun with it short term pretty easily, but to KEEP having fun with it can be a challenge, depending on what you look for in a game.
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I love it, some things I prefer the sims 3 for but mostly I think it just runs better. Most of the problems people have with it (not having toddlers at the start and not being able to control pets) they have either fixed or I like. My biggest problems are based around realism, like teen not acting like teen and children having barly anything to do unless you by them toys, toddler are perfect in my opinion but I hate the babies with a passion and it's the thing I want to be updated so bad in the sims. Otherwise I love it and I can't really think of anything I don't like that the other games don't have the same problems with.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,609 Member
    edited January 2019
    I still love playing 3, but I also love 4. I get more frustrated with 4 as I get fed up with chasing them around to make sure they're doing what I instructed. The water drinking, the getting down and doing push ups, not sitting at the same table when out to name but a few.
    If I could merge all my favourite bits of 3 into 4, it'd be a perfect world!

For example today; my toddler wouldn't do as I wanted and her mood was horrible. I tried making it better, but no, off she went doing her own thing which made her angrier. I got her mother to fulfill her needs, but no, they got cancelled out so she'd go off and do things she wanted to do, with no interest in looking after her daughter. SO annoying!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Honest opinion? I'm in a strong love/hate relationship with this game. There are times when it frustrates me to no end, but I also can't live without it. Ultimately, the love outweighs the hate, but there are still some really annoying things that I think people should know before buying. My three main gripes are:

1. Sims are dumber and more stubborn than ever. They were advertised as smart, but if a sim who is five seconds away from peeing themself autonomically chooses the toilet three stories above rather than the one next door, then takes the longest and most complicated route to get there, and then suddenly claims they can't reach the object even though there's nothing in the way, that's not intelligence. If you give them a task, they will sometimes just drop it out of their queue for no apparent reason, and if you tell them to cancel something, they will keep doing it for 20 to 30 more in-game minutes, to the point that I've gotten used to just resetting them instead.

2. All show and no substance. This is a recurring issue that I've seen many others complain about: Everything looks pretty, but leaves something to be desired gameplay-wise. Now if this only applied to the worlds, which are stunningly beautiful, but barely interactive, it wouldn't be so bad, but unfortunately, it also extends to gameplay elements such as pets for example, especially cats. You can spend all day selecting from a wide variety of premade breeds, mixing them, painting fur, choosing traits and even clothes, but in the game, those cats just sit around in your house doing nothing interesting, in stark contrast to TS2, where they could learn tricks, get jobs, etc.

3. Last but not least: Bugs. OH MY GOD, the bugs! I've never played a game with so many technical issues, and while I used to look forward to the monthly patches in hopes that they would fix a few things, I've come to dread them because they usually introduce even more bugs, some of which have persisted until today. If you're new to TS4, you will often find yourself overlooking features, not because they aren't in the game, but because some random bug is preventing them from working properly. This seriously compromises the joy of exploring because you'll inevitably hit an invisible wall at some point.

But despite all that, the game also offers lots of features and improvements that I wouldn't want to go without, making a return to TS2 impossible for me (not just because that game and my "new" computer won't get along). This includes:
    - the best version of CAS we ever had,
    - an improved build mode that allows you to copy and move rooms as if they were objects,
    - beautiful, unique worlds that you can freely travel to at all times, no need to start a new save whenever a new world is added,
    - a gallery full of amazing downloadable creations by other players,
    - new spins on DLCs from past games, but also brandnew content you've never seen in The Sims before,
    - charming gurus who do monthly livestreams and answer questions on Twitter,
    - a game that is still in development, with many innovations and features yet to come, so even the things I criticised might still be fixed eventually.

Personally, I don't even want a potential Sims 5. I want EA/Maxis to keep working on TS4 to make it the best it can be, because it's already a good game as it is, and I'm sure it will become a great game once the aforementioned problems have been addressed. That is my most honest opinion.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited January 2019
    The game was dreadfully terrible in the beginning. No pools, no toddlers, etc. However, it slowly started getting better once we got pools and DLC (especially 'Get To Work'). Then it kinda started going back downhill... especially after the first announcement of 'Get Together' (I will never forget that cringe worthy clap and the "let's turn this conference into a party", followed by awkward dancing). However, once we got more information about the pack (which was lacking a lot when it was first announced), it became my favorite expansion pack (until 'Seasons').

In 2017, we got a wonderful surprise... TODDLERS! That was probably the most exciting Sims 4 announcement (at least for me)... that is, until 'Seasons' was announced almost one year later.

I'm going to prevent myself from going through an entire timeline of The Sims 4... lol Ultimately, the game has gotten A LOT better since it was released back in September, 2014. There are certainly still many things I wish to see... and there are still some issues. However, I think it's worth noting that it started off as my least favorite Sims game... and then slowly became my second favorite (Sims 3 is still #1 for me). I'm someone who once heavily criticized the game (sometimes even going to the point of saying I hate it). But that's no longer the case... even though there are still quite a few issues that can often make me very frustrated from time to time... lol

I would highly recommend getting the game... however, you will need at least an expansion pack, game pack, and stuff pack to fully enjoy it. Despite its progress over the years, the base game itself still isn't enough to fully enjoy without getting bored easily. At least in my opinion.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg