Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 - All careers + school/highschool should be ACTIVE (opinion)

2...Next

Comments

• WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    It is a nice idea, but honestly I don't believe it's possible. First because they've been making active careers paid content, and adding it to the base game would mean less money on their pocket. And then there's perfomance. People ask for open worlds, color wheels, no rabbit holes, etc, but they forget the game needs to be playable. It would take a NASA computer to run a game with modern graphics (at least better than Sims 4, since we're talking about the next gen), 8 sims on an open world lot, no rabbit holes, and crowded community lots. It's just unreal. Plus we can't forget about the expansion packs, wich always make performance worst. Besides, for every new career added by the EP's, they would have to work not only on the pack content, but on the active career they're adding. I don't think that's possible.
  • RuxenRuxen Posts: 1 New Member
    > @jooxis said:
    > This is what would help make the case for the fifth iteration of this franchise for me. No more rabbit holes/chance cards. If I choose to follow my sim to school that day I want to be there and I want new, unexpected stuff to happen there. Maybe a classmate picks a fight with them or another classmate embarrasses them in front of class. Maybe there's a class field trip that day. If I choose to follow them to work, same drill. I think every career could be made into an active one *including teen careers like lawn mowing, babysitting, etc.). If each new iteration of the game is supposed to break new ground I want it to do this then. I don't want my sims disappearing off screen anymore. Anyone agree?

I like very much your idea, actually i was looking for mods to stay longer in the hospital working as a doctor in The Sims 4. Will it be cool to stay whatever you want at work while you can play with the sim and no limit of time because it pass so quickly and he ,no matter what, goes home :(
  • CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    I doubt this would happen, but I've always really wanted that. School/Work is such an important part of someone's life, I would like to actually go with them to see what they do. It could lead to so much more depth in the game, and many new stories for simmers to create. Watching you sim disappear for hours and eventually come home with some money just isn't fun.
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It is a nice idea, but honestly I don't believe it's possible. First because they've been making active careers paid content, and adding it to the base game would mean less money on their pocket. And then there's perfomance. People ask for open worlds, color wheels, no rabbit holes, etc, but they forget the game needs to be playable. It would take a NASA computer to run a game with modern graphics (at least better than Sims 4, since we're talking about the next gen), 8 sims on an open world lot, no rabbit holes, and crowded community lots. It's just unreal. Plus we can't forget about the expansion packs, wich always make performance worst. Besides, for every new career added by the EP's, they would have to work not only on the pack content, but on the active career they're adding. I don't think that's possible.

We're talking about a new base game -- adding active careers to base game means they can expand on the theme in paid content (start out with active careers and you can add more later without having to patch the mechanics into the game later). As long as not following your Sim to work or school doesn't penalize their performance (they can still move on to the next level even if you don't actively follow them) that would be fine. It actually might save them work in the long run. I don't think all careers need to have active components (I really don't want to have to follow my business Sims to the office to watch them work on the computer or make phone calls all day) but a combination of rabbit hole/off screen jobs and active jobs would be fine. Actually, my dream for Sims 4 would be to have all the base game jobs get a "work from home" component like the CL jobs etc.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    There is literally no good reason to have college be active/open/interactive , but have kids/teens disappearing to rabbit holes. When they do bring active school for kids, I want kids to be able to fail their grade. Not everyone passes. Make school matter.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    I think it would be really cool to be able to simulate your sims day as a spy, criminal, etc. I wouldn't want a detective holding a stupid little bush to hide behind though, more like how the detective investigates in GTW or even more in depth. The possibilities are endless!
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I'd like the option for it but I think it might be a bit boring to have something like a desk job, plus it would take a lot of time to make so many of them. But I would like a school one, what would also be cool is if when your kids go to school you could follow all of them at once since it doesn't make sense for kids to go to different schools, same for adults who work in the same place.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    As much as I want to be able to follow my teens to Highschool I don't think active careers and Highschool should be a base game feature. The base game starts with what 8 or so careers now add in Highschool and we're talking about what 3 expansions worth of content what would we lose on other base game features to get these active careers I think a lot.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    This is what would help make the case for the fifth iteration of this franchise for me. No more rabbit holes/chance cards. If I choose to follow my sim to school that day I want to be there and I want new, unexpected stuff to happen there. Maybe a classmate picks a fight with them or another classmate embarrasses them in front of class. Maybe there's a class field trip that day. If I choose to follow them to work, same drill. I think every career could be made into an active one *including teen careers like lawn mowing, babysitting, etc.). If each new iteration of the game is supposed to break new ground I want it to do this then. I don't want my sims disappearing off screen anymore. Anyone agree?

This would be nice. But I would be okay if the rabbit holes/change cards were in the base game and became fully fleshed out content in later content expansions. As long as I've been playing the sims, I've been patient and forgiving as long as the base game was fully engaging, interesting, and enjoyable to play. My experience with ts4 stopped that goodwill to a screeching halt, though.

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I would love an option to go everywhere with my sims.. work, job, school. I don't think that much content could be delivered in a base game though. So you would have to wait a long time for jobs to be added in. I do think they would have to lighten up the promotional requirements for folks that never want to go with their sims if this was done. As it is now sometimes it's easier to advance if you rabbithole the sim until they need to do something to advance so I enjoy the active/semi active careers. I don't use pure rabbithole jobs unless it's just to finish some aspiration or say I've trudged through it at least once. I don't mind chance cards but I wish we could ignore them... or have an option to turn them on or off in our game... I know I don't like the parenthood ones.
    egTcBMc.png
  • emilysemilys Posts: 24 Member
    Yes! And after-school activities, too!
    Ratpicklerick.png
  • RamendemonRamendemon Posts: 91 Member
    I don't know that the actual classroom stuff needs to be active- but I would like to see a University/School pack come into Sims 4 at some point. It would be cool, as long as it was optional. I like that in the active careers now- you have the option to go with them or not. I also like that some of the careers have a work from home option now! I thought it was a fun expansion for Sims 3 and added some fun new ideas/options. However- the thing I miss most from Sims 3 is still the Architect career from Sims 3. I LOVED that career so much and keep hoping that it will somehow come back.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I can see a lot more jobs being semi-active. Much like the jobs that came with city living and the gardening career as well.

The majority of jobs seem like they would be pretty boring being full blown active and having the same repetition. Would love to see a lot of careers be active, but I don't see a lot of them being full blown active like GTW or GF. I enjoy the work from home that some of the careers have and would want to see more of that.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    I think we are going to get a good look at what sims 5 will be like by the end of sims 4's run, remember that blueprint mode from sims 3? That was clearly an early adaption of the sims 4 build mode.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think it would be really cool to be able to simulate your sims day as a spy, criminal, etc. I wouldn't want a detective holding a stupid little bush to hide behind though, more like how the detective investigates in GTW or even more in depth. The possibilities are endless!

LOL, the first time I saw my sim hide behind a bunch of leaves that barely covered her hiding place, I laughed so hard it was so ridiculous and cheesy! :D

I think they should pick the best of both versions and put them in Sims 5. In Sims 3 for example, I like breaking into houses for clues (sims with kleptomaniac trait and criminal career can also break into houses to steal too) . For new ideas - I'd like to be able to tail suspects in their cars/boats/horses/(aircraft if they add ability to fly) and have car/boat/horses/aircraft chases too.

----

I agree with the OP that it would great to provide active versions for ALL the careers and schools/universities, BUT also agree that they should all be optional so it doesn't get overwhelming not only for us, but for the game as well. I use Zerbu's wonderful Ultimate Careers mod in my Sims 3 games, but I only turn it on for my active sims' careers. I find I can handle two active careers without feeling overwhelmed. I normally send my sim children to rabbithole schools unless they are the one I choose as heir to a legacy or I have a specific story I have for them.

I think Zerbu was brilliant to have sims use skill objects that build their skills for their specific careers DURING work hours. It gives my sims plenty of time to do other things after work hours! I also love that I can use work hours to build up my relationship with my boss and co-workers. Without the mod, the relationships that my sims have with their boss and co-workers is so artificial!
    Also, in terms of creating active mode for careers, it's actually not difficult at all to add them for all careers and will not be expensive to do in Sims 5

In Sims 3, we have a lot of careers (and even custom made ones by simmers) and they can all be turned into active careers with Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod. The key thing is to provide a toggle so that the only active mode careers are the ones turned on for your active sims. Then when you switch to another family, they become rabbithole careers.

So if the devs want to add active mode to the careers in Sims 5, all they need to do is take a look at Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod. It assigns a career to a lot you create and levels up work experience of your active sims when they use skill-building objects in that lot specific to that career during work hours. It really is a brilliant piece of work!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    As much as I want to be able to follow my teens to Highschool I don't think active careers and Highschool should be a base game feature. The base game starts with what 8 or so careers now add in Highschool and we're talking about what 3 expansions worth of content what would we lose on other base game features to get these active careers I think a lot.

Rather than full/active schools and careers, I'd like to have the WFH features from the CL careers added to base game in Sims 5, along with study from home or homeschool activities. Decide if you want to go to work/school that day and if you don't want to go you get about two or three tasks that have to be performed, like exercise for an hour, or go find collectibles or write an essay. They'd change each day so you wouldn't be doing the same exact things. I've been using mods that add WFH options to many of the base game careers and they definitely give more life to the old standbys.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Rather than full/active schools and careers, I'd like to have the WFH features from the CL careers added to base game in Sims 5, along with study from home or homeschool activities. Decide if you want to go to work/school that day and if you don't want to go you get about two or three tasks that have to be performed, like exercise for an hour, or go find collectibles or write an essay. They'd change each day so you wouldn't be doing the same exact things. I've been using mods that add WFH options to many of the base game careers and they definitely give more life to the old standbys.

Zerbu also made an Ultimate Careers mod for Sims 4. If it's similar to the one for Sims 3, you can also assign your own home as your work place and can use skill-building objects there. Performing tasks is a good option, but I wouldn't want it to be mandatory - I don't want my sim game telling me what to do all the time as I have my own ideas how I should go about gaining work experience during those hours.

I had already outlined in a previous post that it doesn't actually take a lot of resources to make any sim career active. You can just use the skill-building objects that you currently have to gain work experience. So if all you have is base game objects, they're enough to level up your career. Later on with expansion/stuff packs, you can optionally add those skill-building objects pertaining to your sims career. It's a win-win situation to be able to have all careers active from base game and then have objects from future expansions/stuff packs to enhance career gameplay for your sims.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Why not make it a toggle.

The game doesnt need toogle for everything, you can choose to follow your sim or not in active careers.