Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing & Modeling Tutorials ~

1444546474850...Next

Comments

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited April 2018
    Updates:
    Like I said, I'm back.

Somehow majority of the images haven’t broken despite being hosted on Photobucket. I’m not sure if I’m just extremely lucky or if something I did made a difference. Super weird, but I’m happy they didn’t break yet. This doesn’t mean they won’t break in the future though, so I’ve got a lot of work to do replacing them all. I'll begin today on moving everything to Imgur.

Planning to finish at least 2-3 more tutorials before rolling out an update for this thread. Hopefully this will be soon. I'm tempted to skip writing and go straight into video recording. Might be easier and better in the long term.

And as I stated in my returning post, I will no longer be creating tutorials once I finish my current planned ones and any requests. For those curious as to why (if anyone is even reading this), this is mainly because very few people use them. I’ve wanted to say this for a while, so I'll say it now. This might get a little ranty, but I’ll do my best to keep it to a minimum, and I apologize ahead of time.
    /Begin rant
    But seriously. It’s extremely frustrating to see questions about content I’ve already covered, especially if they know about the tutorials, and people struggling with something when there’s a tutorial that removes or eases that struggle. Whether that be suggested mods to improve your photos, like removing the blue shadows from in-game photos, cutting sims out, removing jagged edges, or how to find backgrounds, I’ve seen it all be asked numerous times. Even by people who claim to have read the tutorials! And then the people who do know of my tutorials don’t help others by linking them, they instead type out answers every time the same question or issue comes up. And before any one points it out, I am aware a few of the tutorials were done too quickly and because of that are difficult to follow, but majority are okay, and the new ones are good. Yes, there are some who genuinely aren’t aware of my tutorials, but the members of our community who do should be guiding them to the resources listed in the Directory, where my and several other tutorial threads are listed. I don’t know or understand why people refuse to use or share the resources available to them, but there’s nothing I can do, and it’s not my score in the modeling comps to worry about either...

You may be thinking that I shouldn’t care about something like this, but I do, it matters to me. I remember starting in modelling with very few tutorials to help me out. Most of the tutorials I did find were lacking details and the proper steps for a complete beginner, and were more Intermediate in nature than they should have been. I started the Beginner’s Modeling Bootcamp and these tutorials to be the ultimate beginner’s starting point, to avoid repeating FAQ and so people can jump into modeling easier. I’m sure majority of you remember finding the modeling community, seeing those beautiful artworks, and yet having no clue how to join in or where to start, or how one day you could achieve such talent. How intimidating it was to make the decision to join finally instead of lurking, sliding into a thread and not understanding the terms or how to submit an application, let alone edit. Wouldn’t you have preferred if someone gave you a link that answered all of your questions? My goal was to make that journey into modeling easier, so I put in a lot of hours and effort to make that goal a reality. The fact that the tutorials go ignored despite all that work and hope is upsetting. It feels like wasted effort. Like people prefer being lost instead of using the guide that was handed to them. Sure, you may find your way eventually by blindly walking around, but using a guide helps you find your destination faster.

I just want people to read the tutorials and do well, to stop struggling when they don't need to.
    /End rant

So, for those who actually do use my tutorials, thank you, and I hope you enjoy the new ones I will be releasing soon, as well as the updated versions of the ones I posted previously. To those who don’t (and who will probably never see this message), I don’t know your reasons, but I hope you give them a try one day. I know a few said videos are easier to learn from, so hopefully you’ll check out the video versions once they are up.

If you actually read all of this, kudos to you. You deserve a pat on the back. That’s all I have for an update right now though, so thanks for reading.
  • wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    @MizoreYukii I just wanted to say thank you for all that you have done. I know that you put a lot of work into this.

I remember when I first discovered modeling here I was intimidated by others' experience and had to clue where to start. I thought about just jumping into a comp, but then I found your tutorials. I was using Gimp at the time, so I went through all of your Gimp tutorials, and once I completed them I entered my first comp. I really admire the effort you took to make all of these, so thank you, so much! It's great to have you back!

There is a lot of information in the tutorials, so it is likely that people may forget some of it from time to time. I remember a few times I would get stuck on something, and I would check your tutorials to see if they had an answer. I would rediscover old tips, remembering doing them at first, but then I forgot about them! But, I often checked back and remembered old tips, while sometimes trying things that hadn't worked out before. I did join one quick comp this semester, but found myself not having the time to properly work on my entries.

Right now, I can't read through the threads that much because I am taking 6 advanced senior and graduate level math and statistics classes. I literally work on school work from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I can't wait to get back to modeling this summer. For the first time in 2 years, I refuse to take any summer classes. My advisor tried to convince me to take one that he thought would be good for my career path, and I said "Nope!"

Once I get back, I will definitely be using your tutorials again. I have PS now, and I haven't read your tutorials for PS, so it will be great learning new things :). I shoot fashion photography now, though I had to stop about a month ago because of the burden of my classes. I also shot a wedding! Maybe your tutorials will give me some tips on real life editing as well.

Thank you for all that you have done and I'm sad to hear that you won't be adding much more. Thank you for taking the time to help new members out. I look forward to the new ones that you do put out.
    Ayq5S7Y.png
    @wbombje Sorry for the late reply, was mostly absent the past week. You're welcome, and thank you for everything. You've always been a big supporter of mine and I really appreciate it, not to mention a wonderful friend.

I forget some things too so that's understandable (my tutorials help me remember too!), but I mostly meant stuff that's usually harder to forget, like cutting sims out or a mod you have to keep updated. They may forget how to do a cutting technique step by step, but anyone who read the tutorials would remember the layer mask one, so would go to that one instead of just choosing another method and struggling. Or maybe I give people too much credit, idk...
    I just find it sad people choose to hand cut for 10-30+ minutes instead of using the layer mask and being done in 2 minutes with all of the original details intact, including difficult hair. I guess they like the challenge and spending time on it? *Shrugs* People are crazy, what can you do. xD

Oof, you sound really busy! Good luck on the classes, and looking forward to you coming back. You definitely need a break from school.

Ah, thank you. Hopefully I'll have the old ones fixed up and some new ones out before you do. And I saw you mentioning that in another thread! I totally have to message you about that because I really want to see your work and see how you got started. I seriously love fashion photography.

I may not be making more after, but my list of planned tutorials is honestly insane. I'm thinking of cutting the list down to be more manageable, and instead find tutorials that are similar by other people and just post tips to go with them.
  • MaggieSims2018MaggieSims2018 Posts: 57 Member
    Haaaay, i have a few tutorials already done, that i never posted or that i already have on tumblr, if you are still needing anything, im slightly around :)
    (working on getting internet at home, otherwise it's touch and go when i bring my laptop to town)
    Working on some updates. Should hopefully have them out soon.

@MaggieSims2018 Hey! That would be awesome, more tutorials are great! Which ones? And Idk if you heard though, but Gimp has been updated and some of the features are changed. iWarp was removed, so your iWarp tutorial can only be used for older versions. :disappointed: If you ever get the time, I'd love to have an updated version too. Otherwise I'll do my best to make a new tutorial for the new controls later, no worries. ;)
  • wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    I'm just kind of bumping this because it's the most helpful thread and should be on the front page :)!
    Ayq5S7Y.png
    edited August 2018
    wbombje wrote: »
    I'm just kind of bumping this because it's the most helpful thread and should be on the front page :)!

Thanks! Really hoping to get this update out sometime soon. I put too much onto my plate for a single update, so I'm going to split it and do 2 updates instead. :sweat_smile: Was a massive update as well, but I want to release at least half of it instead of doing a big one and keeping people waiting, especially because a new project is being released soon.
  • aussiekarimaaussiekarima Posts: 1,170 Member
    ~ I have been reading these,they have helped a lot,even tackled cutting my Sim up for my last assignment,it worked really good too! (I do have one problem,& that is none of these aply to the program I use Paint.net, but I am muddling through as best I can)
    ~ Thank you so much for this it is teaching me more about everything to do with Sims Modelling! @MizoreYukii<3
    Webp-net-gifmaker-3.gif
    Gallery Link-aussiekarima

~ I have been reading these,they have helped a lot,even tackled cutting my Sim up for my last assignment,it worked really good too! (I do have one problem,& that is none of these aply to the program I use Paint.net, but I am muddling through as best I can)
    ~ Thank you so much for this it is teaching me more about everything to do with Sims Modelling! @MizoreYukii<3

@aussiekarima Oh, I'm so glad you're using them! You're very much welcome! <3 Makes me glad that they are helping people and motivates me further to update faster (I was updating a tutorial yesterday when you posted, lol!). Which cutting tutorial?

I've planned to try to translate a few of my tutorials for Paint.net, like my layer mask cutting and a few others, but are there any specific ones you need translated? Other than what I was looking at as possible choices, I'm not sure what's needed.

By the way, have you thought of substituting Gimp for the areas Paint.net doesn't cover? I know of at least 1 person who does/did Gimp and Paint.net and several who use both Photoshop and Gimp.
  • aussiekarimaaussiekarima Posts: 1,170 Member
    edited August 2018
    ~ I am mainly self taught when it comes to the Paint.net program, (by Trial & error!)as there was not much in the way of tutorials for it when it was first made, I have since tried both Gimp & PS, but was not interested in learning from scratch again so have been using Paint.net exclusively, & now with PS plug-ins & many tutorials that can be read, or watched on YouTube it is helping me more,but usually people will only make a tutorial that they themselves have had problems with or it is something they know,so when I need to learn something,like using the Dodge & burn tool, the person that converted it,did not say much,just showed end results, in pictures & I have not found a Video Tutorial of it, (the Dodge & Burn tool also has a Sharpening tool attached,though I have still yet to learn the proper settings for it,as it tends to turn what is sharpened to blobby messes, & the in-program sharpening tool makes everything look like a cartoon strip!LOL,no kidding) & I I have a lot of tools that are plug-ins on my program but have no idea how to use them,I have tried watching,PS Tutorials but as the programs are very different, I have no idea what to do (The latest one was using the Chroma Key, anouther Plug-in!)
    ~ I also find it easier to watch something,& see it with my eyes rather than read it,as I may get it wrong reading it as I am Dyslexic, & quite often misinterpret things, or read it wrong!
    Post edited by aussiekarima on
    Webp-net-gifmaker-3.gif
    Gallery Link-aussiekarima

@aussiekarima It sounds like the work you're putting in to learn the new plug-in tools for Paint.net is almost the same effort you'd be using to learn another program! :lol: I understand the frustration of learning a new program though, you get all turned around because the controls are different. I had to go through that when switching from Gimp to Photoshop, and still do it when translating tutorials for each program. For my tutorials though, I try to teach people how to use a program from scratch, and is why I repeat locations, alternatives, and shortcuts a lot!

Gimp is closer to Paint.net in structure and tools, I noticed, so Gimp tutorials might help more rather than Photoshop tutorials! Can you link me the plug-ins you're using so I can take a look at them? Are you using the massive plug-in (I forgot what it was called) or individual plug-ins?

Thank you for letting me know! That's why I want to create video versions of my tutorials soon, I know its easier to follow what you can see compared to reading, for a lot of people. Not to mention what I write may by confusing. I still have to get that setup and learn the programs though, so I'm not sure when I will start releasing videos. Hopefully soon though!
  • Storiessims4Storiessims4 Posts: 260 Member
    > @PeaceSign101 said:
    > Just noticed that it said our model has to have their hair up DX Do these stealthic pigtails count?

gorgeous
  • Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    edited August 2018
    With all those likes I gave you, @Storiessims4 your status has changed to a full member, Congrats. :)

• Mandy_LynMandy_Lyn Posts: 33 Member
    @ayeden Where did you find the Phantom mask at?
  • Mandy_LynMandy_Lyn Posts: 33 Member
    Wrong person never mind.
    edited January 2019
    Discord Tutorial 1: Settings
    Level: Beginner
    If you are still having trouble with something in this tutorial, or need more help, please post here or contact me.
    Click here for more tutorials

Welcome to my Discord Tutorial Series! This was a request from a few friends due to how confusing Discord is, especially for the older members of our community. I cover basic settings and friends, joining and navigating servers, and chatting (which includes uploading, links, etc.). The two things I didn’t cover was some of the settings as they are self-explanatory or not important, and voice chatting. Even if you’ve been using Discord for a few weeks/months already, I recommend taking a look as I may have discussed something you didn’t know about. ;) I kept these tutorials as short as possible and they are also picture heavy. If I missed something or made a mistake, please let me know!

This tutorial covers setting up a Discord account and your Discord settings, the dot colors next to names, and adding/accepting friends.

To begin using Discord, you obviously need an account! There are two ways this happens. The first is going to the website and making an account that way. The second is clicking on an invite link that encourages you to create an account, but doesn’t stop you from not setting it up properly. You will most likely encounter the second issue, which is what I will cover.

Accepting an invite link without an account takes you to a Discord page with a mini-window that looks like the one below. Type in a username that you want, and spaces are allowed. Note that you can change your username at any time after this, and we have a nickname system in most servers, so you have 2 name opportunities. For now, fill in your usual username that you use and hit “Continue”.
    5BKRLBX.png

It will take you to the server with this popup appearing first. Please make sure to fill in an email and password so you don’t lose the account! If you hit Esc or do something that closes the account popup before you can finish, don’t panic. As long as you are still on Discord you can fill in your email and password in the Settings to save the account, which we are covering next. Anyways, fill in the info on this popup and then hit “Claim Account”. I didn’t check to see what happens after as I didn’t want to create multiple accounts while testing for the tutorials, lol.
    GUQp4Un.png

Once you’ve either entered the info or not, notice that there are little orange exclamation marks all over the screen. Click on these and they will give you a bit of information on Discord. I cover the info they give later, but feel free to read them.
    l1BbyoN.png

Now for your User Settings. Click the little gear icon at the bottom left of your screen that is next to your name, icon, and the mic and headphones icons.
    54iEQsB.png

This will open your settings with quite a few options on the left. We are starting with the category “User Settings” and looking at the “My Account” section first.
    SmlGqWd.png

If you skipped the previous popup asking you to claim the account, you can instead enter that information here and it will look like the first picture. The second picture shows what happens when you don’t verify your email for the account. The third picture shows what this page looks like with a claimed account with a verified email. Note that even after filling in this info, you can change all of it later.
    Vahn4nk.png
    kUKlaU7.png
    taL9ZrK.png

We will continue with my main account from here. Once you have a regular claimed account, you can change the info by hitting “Edit”, and the box will expand. If you want to change something, just delete the info and fill whatever you want in, then hit “Save”. Keep in mind that to save the new username and/or email you have to enter your current password. The numbers next to the username, which mine is #2574, are changeable but only with Discord Nitro, a paid service. So ignore that field for now. To change your picture, just click on the image icon to the left and the usual uploading process will start. There is a limit to the number of times you change your image after hitting “Save” that requires a 10 minute cooldown. Just uploading to see how it looks won’t trigger the cooldown though. You can also delete or disable your account if for some reason you want to do so. I don’t recommend doing that except for extreme cases.
    nzwQiAE.png

Once you are satisfied with your new changes to the above information, there is the Two-Factor Authentication section below it. I recommend doing this when you can as it adds an extra layer of protection. I won’t cover how to enable it though since this tutorial is for general account setup, and Discord shows you how.
    5RMmVVv.png

We are done with the “My Account” section and now need to head to the “Privacy & Safety” section directly below it.
    hDwlfEW.png

This section helps protect you from spammers and, well, idiots trying to bother you with bad content. For the “Safe Direct Messaging” setting, I like to keep it in the middle. I know my friends aren’t going to send me weird stuff, so I don’t see the point in selecting the first option. I don’t recommend turning this setting off entirely though, so stick with the middle option.
    O6r7e4k.png

As for the “Server Privacy Defaults” setting, this entirely depends on how you use Discord and your anxiety levels. For me, I use Discord for other stuff that isn’t sims, including public servers with hundreds of users. I once got a weird message from someone, and I don’t want people from those other servers messaging me to begin with, so my default setting is now “Off” (grey color means it is off, blue color means it is on). For the Sims servers and other servers I like, I turn the individual settings on. I show how to do that in the Servers tutorial for those curious.
    4OIcwak.png

For the “Who can add you as a friend” settings, I just keep them all on as I don’t have a reason to turn them off.
    NtTJ1aq.png

And that will be the last option in this section I cover as the rest are how you want Discord to handle your info. Our next section is “Connections” for those who want to connect their Twitch, Twitter, Steam, etc. accounts.
    WAW6RM2.png

This is handy for people when they look at your profile, because now instead of asking for your Twitter, etc. they can just click the link presented to them. This section is a bit daunting at a glance but is really easy to set up. Find the icon of the website or application you want to link, click on it, and it will take you to an authorization page on your browser (or login page if you are not logged in on the website). Accept or login, etc. and follow the prompts, and it will be finished in no time! Or you can enable the “Automatically Detect” option and add any of the accounts that aren’t detected after it finishes. I only recommend adding the ones you want people to see!
    MyhYFQ0.png

If you eventually change your mind and don’t want people to see your Twitter, etc. links on your profile anymore, click the button on the popup to push it to the left, which hides it, or click the X button to remove the connection.
    6URPMui.png

Now we are going to cover the “Notifications” section under the category “App Settings”.
    qS1nKVX.png

Honestly, I hate this section because it doesn’t offer enough settings or the correct ones. As I’ll show you later, you’ll realize that the real notification settings are under the individual servers you join, meaning you have to manually set them each time you join a new server. That’s fine in some cases because you can then customize each server differently, but if you just want some default settings you’re stuck with these options only. So if you’re picky about notifications, especially if a server spams you a lot, just read the Servers tutorial for how to set that up.

Anyways, let’s move on. This is how the top half of my settings look. I keep “Desktop Notifications” on because once I customized each server, only the important ones popup! So this is handy, especially for servers you want the latest info on immediately. I also keep the “Unread Message Badge” on so I know when I have new notifications in servers that don’t give me popups, or when I’m on the “Do Not Disturb” setting (which I’ll discuss later). I turned off “Taskbar Flashing” though because that annoyed me pretty quick. Push notifications is at 10 minutes for when I use mobile, which I don’t atm.
    s3caZGS.png

Here is what each notification looks like.
    2epsZxm.png - Desktop Notifications (may be white or a different color depending on the computer)
    LmiY6hZ.png - Unread Message Badge
    f9ee0cD.png - Taskbar Flashing

Next is Text-to-Speech notifications, which I have turned off. Don’t want a creepy robot talking to me.
    H97R50Y.png

After that is sounds, which I also turned off eventually as I didn’t like them. If a channel is being used a lot this can get annoying quick, same with people joining/leaving voice channels a lot, etc. I prefer a quiet chat program, so your settings depend on what you want.
    Lw1eE9E.png

And that is all for our Notifications. Next we are covering “Text & Images” for those of you who want to turn this stuff off.
    A2x7DbN.png

I don’t turn anything off in this section, but I know some people may dislike the way Discord works. The first half asks if you want images and videos to show automatically when posted as links and also when uploaded through Discord. If you are prone to seizures or annoyed by moving things, etc. then turning off GIF’s when Discord is focused may be a good idea. The Sims community most likely won’t post anything bad, but you never know what may happen (I have yet to see anything after months of use). The Link Preview is handy for getting a glimpse into the content without clicking the link. It doesn’t show a lot, but enough to interest you or not. Also, keep in mind these settings only work on your side when using Discord. They will still work normally for everyone else, you can’t see them anymore though.
    iFvcjpU.png

Next is the emoji options. Again, I don’t turn anything off. I have seen color flashing animated emoji’s, so I’d recommend turning off “Play Animated Emoji” if that might bother you. /tts stands for text-to-speech and is a robot that will speak the text to you if someone starts a message with that command.
    iiTbBs3.png

And that’s it for that section! Next is “Appearance” for those who want to customize how Discord looks. It is right under Text & Images.
    d8UcCwU.png

You have two options for Discord’s color theme, Light and Dark. I recommend Dark for everyone because it hurts the eyes less, but if you really prefer lighter colors then switch them. The area above with my avatar and name is a preview section for the theme. As for the Message Display, if you select “Compact” this will allow you to remove avatars so the text is closer together. I recommend Cozy.
    ijYWaad.png

Next is font and zoom level. If you are older the text and other things may be hard to see, so use the Font scaling to increase the size of the chat font and Zoom to increase the size of everything else. If you are colorblind or have another issue that affects colors, use the Colorblind Mode to make things easier on you.
    PnoLRlm.png

Below that is the Advanced section. You don’t need Developer Mode so ignore that, but if you have a slower computer turn off Hardware Acceleration. If you don’t use Discord to play games in their new store, turn off the Games Tab to save space.
    VESAFJc.png

We are done with Appearance now. Don’t forget to set your language in the “Language” section before we move on to “Windows Settings” if English is not your main language.
    cT4gnqI.png

Windows Settings determines how Discord works with your computer. If you don’t want Discord slowing the computer when the computer first turns on, then turn it off in the first option. The second option only works if the first one is on, but determines how Discord works when it turns on with the computer. The third option is how you get Discord to disappear into the background if you want it open but don’t want the window open.
    bfcPokD.png

And that’s it for settings! I know we skipped a lot of the pages, but they seemed either self-explanatory or seemed unnecessary to cover as these tutorials are more geared towards people who want to use Discord for just Sims competitions. I doubt most will be using the gaming features or buying games, etc. Either way, I hope this helped!
    Now that we are done with settings, click the X at the top right to exit the settings or hit Esc on your keyboard. We will be covering the dots next to names now and what they mean. You can access these dots by clicking your avatar at the bottom left of the screen, which will open a popup. You can select either of these for when you need them. Also, when you are using Green/Online and walk away from the computer for a long time, your icon will automatically switch to Yellow/Idle.
    I82nQ11.png

Now to add friends, which can be done in several ways. The first is if you know their name and number already, called a DiscordTag. On the main Discord page where you can see your friends list, store, Direct Messages, etc., there is a blue button at the top center of your screen that says “Add friend”. Click on it and your screen will change. If you connected your accounts earlier the bottom half of the screen may suggest some people. Anyways, enter the Discord name AND number, then press “Send Friend Request”. Without their number it won’t work.
    UsxVkZ9.png

The second way is adding someone through a server or direct message. All you need to do is right click on their avatar or name and a popup will appear with several options. The one we want is “Add Friend”. Click it and it will change to “Friend Request Sent”.
    CnnaxBV.png
    IHJ3WQ0.png

Now to check if someone has accepted, or if you received a friend invite yourself, go back to the Discord home page and click on “Pending” in the top center of your screen. Normally when you receive a friend request you’ll also receive a red notification on the home page to alert you. Anyways, click on that tab and it will give you a list of who you sent a request to and who sent one to you.
    KZf8iCE.png

And that covers everything for this tutorial! Next is the tutorial about joining and using Servers.

Continue scrolling to next post for Discord Tutorial 2 - Servers or click here.
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
    edited January 2019
    Discord Tutorial 2: Servers (Part 1)
    If you are still having trouble with something in this tutorial, or need more help, please post here or contact me.

After you’ve setup your account and altered your settings, it’s time to join a server. You may or may not have joined several by now, but regardless if you have we’ll start from the beginning.

Joining a Server
    A server is basically a giant organized thread, or chat room. It can contain a lot of side chat rooms to keep things organized, like a picture chat room, or a chat room about cooking, all in one section. As I explain how a server works, you will understand what I mean by it being a giant chat room.

A Discord server invite links look like this: https://discord.gg/waT3JeA or https://discordapp.com/invite/dMrYv6g

Remember to always look for the “https://discord.gg” or “discordapp.com” bit so you know it is legit. If you see a server advertised that sounds decent, click on the link and it will either open the Discord app, or open the browser version. I recommend downloading the desktop app version when you get the chance as it allows you to stay in touch better when doing other things, including playing games.
    y4KOdl9.png

If it doesn’t open the app, either because it is closed or not downloaded, your page will then look like this. Click “Accept Invite” to be redirected to the server on the web version.
    ejGoCD0.png

Or if the app is open or downloaded, it will open the app and look like this. Click “Join [insert server name]” and you will then be redirected to that server. If you have second thoughts you can click “No thanks” or hit the Esc key.
    gcfFg0y.png

The second way to join a server is by clicking the giant + button at the bottom of the server lists.
    Ivk4nI7.png

And a popup with two options will appear. Select the one that says “Join a Server” and the popup will switch to a different one.
    G5uauJK.png

Now you just copy/paste the link or the end code into the box and hit “Join” or the Enter key. And then it should redirect you to the server.
    PJCe8z7.png

The absolute first thing you should do when joining a server is read the rules! The rules will usually teach you everything you need to know about that server and what they do not want you doing. They will usually also mention helpful information like if there are roles and where to assign them. If you do not see any rules, or can’t find them, ask in the general chat and see if someone can help out or list out the rules. It is better to ask about the rules than give up looking for them and get in trouble later. After you locate the rules, explore the rest of the server to understand what each category is and where things go.

For example, the members panel on the right. It shows you everyone currently online and offline, their roles, if they are typing, and their current status. Below is an example. The 3 dots under my picture indicate I am typing while snapping this screenshot. And if you remember from the Settings tutorial, red dots indicate “Do not disturb”, meaning I won’t get notifications. Yellow dots = idle or away from computer, and green dots = online.

Above my name and the others is the name “Veteran”, which indicates my role in that server, and the 3 next to it indicates how many people with that role are currently online. Below us is a different group of people with the role “Beginner” and currently 4 online, and so on. Each server will have their own unique roles.
    yTuZNY2.png

If you want to find out more information about someone in the server, left click their name/picture for basic info like their username#, roles, and you can add notes to help you remember people (since nicknames/usernames change all the time).
    J2rlWvB.png

And if you want more detailed information and options, right click their name/picture. Here you can see all kinds of options, ranging from “Add friend” to “Call”. To get more detailed info, like what friends you have in common or what servers you both share, select “Profile” at the very top of the options.
    05g3zuB.png

A popup will appear. Here you can see stuff like “User Info”, which shows what accounts are linked to their Discord, as well as “Mutual Servers” and “Mutual Friends”. Select whichever category you want to view to see what you have in common. You can also click on the 3 vertical dots at the top right, next to “Send Message”, for other options as well like “Block” and “Message”. You can also access the left click and right click info by right or left clicking someone’s name/picture in the chat as well.
    wcLi451.png

If you are tired of seeing the members list, you can get rid of it by clicking on the two human shapes up at the top, which should be highlighted/white to indicate you have the members panel open. Once you click the panel will be gone.
    4UvvYw0.png
    lGfOu4J.png

Another area to explore are the channels and categories. Channels are where the posting and chatting are at. Each channel is very specific and sometimes even have their own rules. For example, the “Self-promo” channels do not allow chatting and are only for posting links and material that promotes yourself. Categories are a bundle or group of channels that are usually related and help keep channels organized. For example, in the competition servers there are usually “Competition Categories” where everything related to the competition is posted. Then there are “Chat Categories” where all chatting related channels are located. Below is an example of an Information category and the related channels.
    DDuOZP4.png

Click on a channel to explore that catches your interest. There are a few things to consider when checking out a channel for the first time. One is the chat history. Majority of servers and their channels will allow you to read the message history, though there are some exceptions. Below is an example of a server with a channel that blocks message history. There is nothing you can do to read the history, so just move on when you encounter one (or alert the owner to check if it’s a mistake).
    4kMJgIQ.png

The second is channel information. When you first arrive in a channel, look at the top of the screen, more left, and notice that there is text up top. First is the #channel name, then some text next to the name. This text is the channel description, letting you know what the channel’s purpose is and what to do.
    TpmIS8p.png

Some channels/servers do not have this, which is unfortunate, but if you are ever confused just ask the other members what a channel’s purpose is. Sometimes the text is longer than the provided space, as seen by the cutoff “goo…” word in my example. To see all of the description just click on the text and a popup will appear. Now you can read all of it.
    JakymDe.png

The third thing to consider is pinned messages. You’ll quickly realize that some servers have been around for a very long time and/or have a lot of active members, so scrolling through the history of the chat is next to impossible. Sometimes you may be doing this for important missed information though. An example is an application/signups channel for competitions. Sometimes people ask questions there and the application info gets lost. Normally the only way to get to this information is to just weed through the posts. The good news is that a good host will have already pinned the application info for you to get to without going through a ton of text. You can access pinned messages by clicking on the little pin/thumbtack at the top right of the screen, next to the members panel.
    nnukzKV.png

You can usually tell if there are pinned messages waiting for you because there will be a bright red dot next to the pin/thumbtack.
    6OoavQt.png

Once you click on the Pinned Messages button, you will get a dropdown menu and a list of posts. They will look different depending on the length and content. You can scroll up and down to read the posts, and sometimes you are encouraged to go to that post for more information, like in my tutorial channel. To do so, click on the post you need to go to, or hover over it and select the word “Jump” that appears. You will then be taken to that post quickly so that you can read it, and Discord will temporarily highlight the text to let you know what you just jumped to.
    5WNFq7v.png
    7yq6jhi.png

Roles
    Now roles. There are 3 ways (that I know of) to have roles assigned to you. The first is manually adding roles, but this requires a specific server permission and is usually only for mods/admins/owners. If the server does allow you to do it though, click on your name/picture in the members panel on the right or your name/picture in chat if you said something recently.
    6kKFCYk.png

A menu appears. This also allows you to see your current roles and if any may be missing. Click on the little + under “Role”.
    YcXGnFp.png

Another dropdown menu appears, this time with different roles. Select the ones you’d like to add.
    4PwxzMz.png

The second way to add roles is to ask the owner or mods to do it. They’ll handle the rest once you’ve made your request. Below is an example.
    YCBxIrg.png

The third way is through bots, and there are a couple of ways to do this. One way is reacting to a post, some roles are automatically given for joining a server, and another is writing commands in a specific channel. I’ve only encountered those 3 types so far, and the most common is writing commands. The host has a list of commands, and all you need to do is copy/paste a command or type it out, then the bot will take care of the rest. MEE6 is the most commonly used bot, though there are others available as well. Keep in mind that they are bots, meaning programming. They are not real people, so don’t bother messaging them to chat. Bots can also be used for playing games, monitoring the server, etc. Here is an example of a commands list:
    RybPdJm.png

Keep in mind that in some servers the roles have specific permissions. Permissions just means what you can or cannot do, like access certain channels, mentioning everyone, or delete other people’s posts. Most roles are very basic and come with very little power to ensure they can’t be abused. Others come with a lot of power, it just depends on what the owner has setup.

Server Options
    The next thing you want to do is mess with the server options, which includes changing your nickname, collapsing/muting categories and channels, notifications, and a few misc. things.

And yes, you can have nicknames in servers. Generally the username, the one that looks like Name#1233, is just used as your basic identifier, kinda like what we have on the forums. But if you are a forum member you know we go by nicknames on the forums more often than not, which is what you can achieve with the nickname system. Nicknames also allow you to rename people for competitions, like “Miss France”. Keep in mind that some servers turn off nicknames, but the vast majority allow them. To give yourself a nickname, right click on your name/picture in the chat or members panel and select “Change nickname”.
    htJk5jf.png

Or you can go up to the top left next to the server’s name and click on the little arrow to open a dropdown menu, then select “Change Nickname” from there.
    AdUMhi6.png
    xq0N9eG.png

A popup will appear giving you a box to type your nickname in, an option to reset your nickname, and the option to Cancel and Save. Just type in what you want, then hit save. You can change it as many times as you want, and your Username won’t be affected.
    jPoFHsx.png
    jg8cJBr.png

The next thing to cover is muting, Mark As Read, and collapsing categories/channels. If you’re like me, you’re either too busy or uninterested in some of the channels, and their constant notifications (the white dots next to the server icon and channel names, as well as highlighted text) annoy you to no end. To stop the madness, just mute the categories that annoy you, that way you don’t have to mute the entire server (which there is a way to do, and we will cover next). To do so, go to the offending channel/category and then right click and select “Mute (#)insert-name”. You can also “Mark As Read” any channel or category you want to get notifications for still, but currently don’t want to read.
    hr3PDj0.png

If you left click on the channel with notifications and open the chat, sometimes you may not want to read everything you missed. If you look above the chat you’ll see a blue line telling you how many messages you missed since the last time you read the chat. You can either scroll to the bottom to remove the notifications and unread messages, type a message and post it (do not spam useless stuff just to remove the notification though), use the “Mark As Read” option I showed you, or click “Mark As Read” on the right side of the blue line.
    8x2FOzk.png

Next is collapsing categories. There are some categories I have zero interest in, or I only use one or two channels from it, so I collapse them to get them out of the way. To do so, find the category you want collapsed and just click on the name. There is a little arrow on the left side of the name that shows you if a category is open or collapsed.
    CKQ9Pdo.png
    bebjEjO.png

If you want even more cleanliness, you can also select “Hide Muted Channels” from the server dropdown menu to make the muted channels AND muted categories disappear. Awesome!
    UoZddMA.png

For even more compact and clean screens, and with servers with voice channels, you can right click on the voice channel that has a ton of people on it and click “Hide names”. This will remove the names and list of people in the voice chat, allowing you to only see their icons.
    Ixtiutz.png
    2tb160R.png

Next is muting the entire server. I don’t recommend this unless you honestly don’t use the server much or read the channels. Whatever the case, there are two ways to do this. The first is right clicking on the server icon in the server list on the left side of your screen. Select “Server Mute” and that will mute the entire server. No more notifications! You can also select “Mark As Read” to clean all the notifications of a server.
    wUnAMPG.png

The second way is selecting “Notification Settings” from the server dropdown menu.
    vRoZ7zi.png

Clicking it will bring up a popup with all kinds of options, which we will cover in a minute. The first thing we want to focus on though is muting the server, which you can do by clicking that button marked on the picture. Once it turns blue, you’re good to go!
    d8RVnYW.png

Now we will cover the other settings. Keep the “Server Notification Settings” to “Only @mentions”, otherwise you will be spammed with notification popups every time there is a post. If you get tired of the pings, especially in a ping heavy server, turn them off by clicking the button next to “Suppress @everyone and @here”. If you use the mobile version, decide if you want notifications for this server or not with the “Mobile Push Notifications”.
    UVFVlY6.png

Next is “Notification Overrides” in case you want to customize how each channel and category works for you. Here you can see that the channels I muted previously are listed, as well as the Judge’s chat for MMaSM giving me all notifications.
    AW2rkU7.png

If I want to add other categories or channels, I need to go to the drop down menu and select whichever one I am looking for. It will then appear like the others and I can make my changes. Hit “Done” when you are done messing with your notifications.
    NF16Wvq.png
    qcJYGb5.png

The second to last thing to cover is “Privacy Settings”. Depending on your settings that we covered in the first tutorial, you can either ignore this or alter the setting.
    cMh53GF.png

Clicking on it brings up a popup with one setting, and it is about whether people from that server can directly message you. Depending on your anxiety, etc. you may want to turn this off, especially for huge public servers. Blue means on, grey means off.
    KXxP51t.png

And lastly, invites. To create an invite link, you can either click the human+ symbol next to the channels, right click the channels and select “Instant Invite”, from the dropdown server menu, or from right clicking the server icon in the server list on the left.
    zHVdxly.png

A popup will appear with two options. Either you can invite friends by clicking “Invite”, or you can create a link to post in places. Note that the tiny font below the link tells you that this link expires in 1 day. Please be careful when creating server links so that you don’t make this mistake. Its fine for invite links to expire for certain situations, but majority of the time we want permanent links. To change the length of time this link works for, click “Edit invite link” next to the tiny font.
    OYQHj4x.png

The popup will change to something else. Here we have several options, most of which are useless to us. We are more worried about the time, so go to “Expire After” and open the drop down menu.
    eKmqoMe.png

Select “Never” from the dropdown menu options, then “Generate a New Link” to create this link.
    Y1moL7z.png

It will then go back to the previous popup, but with a new link and now the tiny text says the link will never expire. Now you can copy the link and post it anywhere.
    CFWPeS4.png

Continue scrolling to next post for Part 2 of Servers or click here.
    edited January 2019
    Discord Tutorial 2: Servers (Part 2)

Misc.
    The last few things to keep in mind are searching, mentions, updates, and questions.

The first thing we will cover is searching channels. This can get a bit complicated, but I’ll show you the basics. First things first, locate the search bar which is at the top right, between all the other buttons we’ve glanced at so far and will glance at in the future.
    XF4sHgo.png

Click in the search box and a bunch of options will appear. Here you can see it gives you options to narrow your search. You can either search for a specific person, search for stuff with links, or search for stuff before or after a certain date. You can also combine several of these options to narrow your search even further!
    57wTA96.png

I’m going to quickly show you how to use the search function so you get an idea of how it works. We’re going to search for my posts in the Dazzle server, and in a specific channel, that way I can show you how more than one option works. First, click on the first option you want to use, which for me would be “from:” since we are searching for my posts. Or, you can type in “from:” and it will work the same way. Make sure the : is at the end of from, otherwise it won’t work. I typed “from:” below and you can see that it changed after adding the : in.
    GgIP7dN.png
    JUvbgMj.png

I can now continue by typing in my name. The search bar will narrow the options down, so either click on the person you are searching for or continue typing the name.
    uRblJW7.png

I clicked on my name. Now Discord searches and pulls up several of my posts, starting with the most recent post of mine. You can also change your search option to “Relevant” instead in case it helps with the search results. At the top left it gives you the number of results and tells you the channel name it found the posts in, which is #awesome-finds and others. These posts also act similar to Pinned Messages, so when you hover over them they give you the “Jump” option.
    rtayqzM.png

You can also click on the post and it will expand to show you several of the messages before and after mine. Here there is no post after mine, and Discord also highlights the post so you can tell it was the one you searched for. You can click on the post to collapse it again.
    UsgI2YC.png
    wMbRaF4.png

Now we are going to narrow the search even further by choosing a specific channel. I’m going to go back to the search bar and type in “in:”. A bunch of channel options show up for me to choose from. I’m going to choose #chatterbox as the channel.
    UI4Aq95.png

My search is now narrowed to my name and a specific channel. Remember, you can keep adding more search options to narrow your results even further than this. Hopefully this helps you understand how searching works.
    GakQxcz.png

Now to cover some other search options before we move on. If you get a lot of results you’ll have to go to another page to see the rest, so you’ll get this “Page” option at the bottom of the search results after scrolling. Unfortunately, they are not at the top of the search results yet, so searching multiple pages can get tiresome.
    VLQ6oqD.png

Next is deleting search history, which can be done by clicking on the icon with 3 lines and an x next to them. It is very tiny though.
    HNdJwlY.png

And lastly is getting more information on searching by clicking the “Learn More” button at the top right.
    6StertE.png

Moving on, if you are mentioned/tagged you will get a little 1 or more on the servers icon to let you know, and also on the taskbar icon.
    fj7nIE4.png and P9oOxma.png

Sometimes mentions are lost within the chat history, so locating them to see why you were tagged can be difficult and annoying. To easily find the mention/tag, go to the top right of your screen and look for the @ symbol. When you find it, click on it to see who tagged you and why. @Here mentions don’t show up, and if the mention message is deleted it will also not show up. So if nothing is there, it is one of the two. To get rid a of mention, either go to the channel you were mentioned in and read it, or just “Mark As Read” the channel or server.
    zRRpNrD.png

Keep in mind that the mentions button is located outside the servers on your Friends and Activity pages, and within the servers. Outside the servers gives you only the option of “All Servers”, and inside the servers gives you the option to do “All Servers” or narrow the search down to “This Server”. You can also adjust the “Display” option to @everyone mentions or @role mentions.
    9C230Zd.png

The next thing is Updates. When you shut down Discord and reopen it, Discord will automatically update. If you want the newest updates before that happens though, you can tell Discord that. Look at the top right of your screen again, and notice the green arrow facing downward and pointing to a line. That’s the update button! Click on it and Discord will automatically close and update itself, then re-open for you to continue chatting.
    O3BeKfU.png

Lastly, questions and help. There are things I haven’t covered because they weren’t important, or maybe you want more information. You can use Discord’s help button to do that. Look at the top right, very last button and you should see a question mark. Click on it.
    8G5xn76.png

A popup will appear with some recommended articles and a search bar. Click on one of the articles or use the search bar to find something.
    sg45ZwU.png

An example is searching for info on “Channels”. Type that in, hint Enter, and Discord will open your browser to find the related articles.
    loOi3u2.png
    TIakVoi.png

And that pretty much covers everything for dealing with servers and some misc. functions. I don’t cover creating and hosting servers in this tutorial because it’s a topic majority of you won’t use and because it’s a complicated process. If you are interested in making a server though, especially one geared towards competitions, see my “Hosting a Server” tutorial for step-by-step instructions (WIP). Even if you setup a basic server already, I recommend still reading it. And if you need help setting up a server, feel free to ask me for help! I run two of my own and help with two others.

Next is chatting and other related options.

Continue scrolling to next post for Discord Tutorial 3 - Chatting or click here.
    edited February 2019
    Discord Tutorial 3: Chatting

Next we are covering chatting, which incorporates emojis, uploading and saving pictures/files, formatting, and several other things.

Posting, Editing, Deleting, Pinning
    If you want to send a message, just select the channel, or friend’s DM, you want to post in and start typing. Your message will appear in this box that appears at the bottom of the app or webpage:
    uozLAeY.png

When you are done, hit Enter on your keyboard and your message will be posted for all to see.
    qVeTxK9.png

Keep in mind that there is a limit of 2000 characters when posting, so if you go over the limit you need to post what you currently have and then continue writing. The popup below only appears when you hit Enter though, so you won’t know you’ve hit the limit until you try to post, which is a bit silly. There is also a typing limit in the chat box above 2000 characters, and once you reach it you eventually you won’t be able to type at all. I’m not sure what that limit is, but I’d guess its 3000 or so. Also, if Discord closes suddenly while you were typing, you won’t lose everything you just typed! Discord keeps the text there permanently until you go and delete it yourself.
    m9fqpv9.png

If you are unhappy with your message you can either delete or edit it by right clicking your message, or selecting the 3 vertical dots to the right. Either one will bring up a menu with options.
    AhUBhz9.png

If you select “Edit message” your comment will turn into a box similar to the one you originally wrote in. This time “cancel” and “save” will be at the bottom right though. If you are satisfied with your edit, hit the enter key again, or click “save”. If you are unhappy with your edit, hit the Esc (escape) key or click “cancel”.
    2EuJC8K.png
    dM1RudS.png

If you hover over the “(edited)” text at the end of a sentence, you can see the date when it was edited!
    s3MbHh0.png

If you select “Delete message” a popup will appear asking if you are sure about deleting. You can click “Delete” if you are sure, or click “Cancel” or hit the Esc key if you aren’t. Notice that below your message preview is a “PROTIP”, which provides information and clues on how to use Discord. Keep your eye out for these when you are using Discord. This pro tip is saying that you can hold down the Shift key when clicking “Delete message” to bypass the popup.
    wFJPcwo.png

I’m sure you guys also noticed the “Pin message” option available when right clicking. Remember how we covered what pinned messages were and where to find them? Selecting “Pin message” is how you add your own pins, but be aware that not all servers allow this and you usually need to have a role that allows it or be the owner to use it.
    OKVd8IZ.png

Once you select this option a popup appears. Select “Oh yeah. Pin it” to pin the message. Even though this doesn’t have a PROTIP like the “Delete message” popup, you can also hold shift when selecting “Pin message” to pin something without this popup.
    i8BhEiN.png

Once you pin the message, Discord will post another message saying you did so. This helps people know you did that so they can check it out. If you are hosting or organizing a server, I recommend deleting these messages to keep things clean and tidy otherwise you can wind up with spam, which pushes important information back. I show an example below where pinning messages take up too much space.
    BdUwj2Z.png
    EQ6G2N5.png

FYI, sometimes an error occurs when you are posting and your message won’t go through. It turns red and the Discord system will alert you with a message. If this happens, simply right click on the message that didn’t send and select “Resend message”. Discord will attempt to post it again, and if it worked it will turn white (or grey, depending on your appearance settings).
    irEiHS9.png
    95trdM3.png

Another error that Discord might send when posting in a server is “Error: Your message could not be delivered because you don't share a server with the recipient or you disabled direct messages on your shared server, recipient is only accepting direct messages from friends, or you were blocked by the recipient,” it means your message is too long because of custom emojis, channel mentions, and/or mentioning people. Custom emoji’s (the ones added to a server by the owner), mentions, etc. are turned into a 20 character string, and you only have a limit of 2000 characters when typing, so you can see how this eats up space. Discord hasn’t fixed that error message bug, so if you’re not aware of this bug it can scare you into thinking you’ve been blocked by people on a server, which is not what happens if someone does block you (it won’t affect the server). If someone does block you, that error message only appears when trying to message them privately. Anyways, to fix this error just remove some of the emoji’s or mentions until the message works or split the message in half. Either works!
    DK5K8PB.png

Lastly, sometimes you may scroll through the chat history looking for something. Regardless of whether you find it or not, you may scroll so far that scrolling back would be a pain. Luckily, once you get far enough a gray-blue bar pops up asking if you want to jump to the present. Click on it and it will take you back to the end of the recent chat. Or you can enter something in the chat and it will send you back.
    XXl9lYV.png

Emojis & Reactions
    Emojis are next, and I’m sure you’ve noticed the “Add reaction” option as well when I discussed editing, deleting, and pinning. Adding a reaction is just adding a little emoji below the post, and other people can click on the same emoji you just used to react as well, or they can post their own.
    2nICdKA.png

When the emoji list opens you can scroll up and down to see them all, then select which one you want. You can add as many as you like, and hold down the Shift key to select multiple without the emoji window closing. (Note: Doesn’t work with the “Add reaction” option indicated on the left, the one with a single column and that is the first picture.)
    sRWqkfj.png
    h8g3Jjd.png

Once at least one reaction is posted, you can then hover over the emojis and another emoji+ icon will appear at the end. You can click on this to open the emoji window again to add more.
    abioN6w.png

Here is an example of people reacting to a post in various ways. The numbers next to the emojis indicates how many people have clicked on that emoji, and if you hover over the emoji it will list some of the people who reacted. If you add or click on an emoji under one of these posts, the number will increase and turn blue to indicate that you reacted. This can be useful for voting or getting opinions without forcing people to comment.
    34iChnR.png

To find a full list of everyone who reacted, right click on the message and select “Reactions”.
    8kiQJQb.png

You are then presented with a popup where you can click on each of the emojis and find a list of the people who reacted. You can scroll up and down to see everybody. This also means that if you add a rude emoji people can see that you did it. No such thing as anonymous emojis here!
    K6XJZd2.png

Moving on, you can add emojis to your regular messages when typing too. You can do this either by typing out the code of the emoji, like :) or :smiley:, or you can select an emoji by clicking on the little emoji/face to the right of your chat box. Grayed out emojis mean that they cannot be used, usually because they are from a different server or a moving emoji.
    wqbXre4.png
    bKofZgM.png

Here is Discord’s tutorial about emojis that also covers adding them to your own servers, etc.
    https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/207619737-Adding-Emoji-Magic

@ & #
    If you need to direct someone to a channel or category, type # and then the name of the channel or select one from the popup. This will allow people to click on the highlighted text and be taken to the channel you mentioned.
    dlY9Dnk.png
    er979KT.png

You could also just @ someone to direct them to the same channel, or @ them to get their attention. Type @ and their name or select from the popup that appears. You can also @ roles to target a group of people instead of a single person. To get everyone’s attention, you can use @everyone for even offline members. To target just active desktop members you can use @here instead. Please do not abuse the @’s, as they can be very annoying! That especially goes for @everyone. If it’s not important, don’t use @everyone. And no, pictures of your cat are not important. Important includes announcements, like emergencies or server changes. Because of the potential for abuse and because not everyone needs to use it, @everyone is usually only for the owner and admins/mods, depending on the server settings.
    pXy2WCY.png
    OXYjGHk.png

Formatting
    Next is formatting, and Discord uses a simple formatting system called “Markdown”. If you are familiar with Reddit or another website/program that uses it, it is virtually the same. You use *, `, ~, and _ to tell Discord what you want to do. Below I list how each one is done, and beneath that a picture in Discord showing these in action.

Spoiler Tags = ||Spoiler Tags||
    Italics = *Italics* or _Italics_
    Bold = **Bold**
    Bold Italics = ***Bold Italics***
    Underline = __Underline__
    Underline Italics = __*Underline Italics*__
    Underline Bold = __**Underline Bold**__
    Italics, Bold & Underline = __***Italics, Bold & Underline***__
    Strikethrough = ~~Strikethrough~~
    Strikethrough can be used together with the other formats as well, such as this:
    Italics, Bold, Underline & Strikethrough = ~~__***Italics, Bold, Underline & Strikethrough***__~~
    NJmI1hf.png

Now onto coding, which can be finnicky sometimes. If you keep the coding basic its simple to use, but if you start using it for formatting and organizing your posts it can be a mess. I won’t cover them in-depth because it’s not really necessary, but if you are ever curious feel free to message me and I’ll show you how to use them more efficiently.
    You use ` to start the code and end it.

One line code block = `One line code block`
    fzxNwQ6.png

Multiline code blocks = ```Multiline code blocks```
    gYVMubc.png

And a little tip for when posting and running out of space, which causes the text to bunch together: use underscore space underscore so that it looks like this _ _ in the message. Then post it in your next post and this will create a space, keeping text nice and orderly. Below is an example, with the first image showing the lack of space and the ugly wall of text.
    sCaTZ5G.png

Edit the second message and add the _ _ above the text. Or you can add it under the first message. Regardless of which place you post it in, it will fix the wall of text and add a nice space.
    3qZXAH7.png

Now the wall of text has some space in-between it. You can repeat the _ _ several times too to create extra space.
    efZp8GJ.png

And lastly here is Discord’s tutorial about formatting as well if you want to see it and some other examples. I covered the majority.
    https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/210298617-Markdown-Text-101-Chat-Formatting-Bold-Italic-Underline-

Posting Links & Uploading Files
    Ah, now we’re covering links and files. Posting links is fairly simple. Copy the link of whatever you want to post, then paste it into your chat box and hit enter. Tip: You can use Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to paste.
    s76GSSH.png

You can see that after we post, we get a little preview of what the webpage is about. Depending on the situation this can be good and bad. For Twitter, Youtube, etc. this is good because it embeds the image, post, or video so people don’t have to click the link majority of the time. But for organization this is bad, and if the link is inappropriate, etc. it is also bad!
    px33DP8.png

To avoid the link posting a preview you can add < and > at the end of the link. The <> will not show up in your post or break the link, so don’t worry about adding them. You can also alter a setting in your User Settings to disable previewing if you hate seeing them, but this is only on your side and links will still preview for everybody else.
    7dF06uX.png
    YcYcQpC.png

You can see Discord’s tutorial about this here: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/206342858--How-do-I-disable-auto-embed-

Now we are doing files. You can upload files in 3 different ways. Note that files cannot be bigger than 8 MB unless you have Discord Nitro, a paid service.

The first is copying/pasting. If you use FRAPS, Print Screen, Snipping Tool, etc. or just copy a file on the internet, you can easily paste it into the chat. Right click and select paste in the chat box or just use Ctrl + V, and then a popup appears.
    DbdqeZD.png

This popup shows a preview of the file and the file name, as well as an option to add a comment, which will appear above the post when it finishes uploading. You can see by the emoji icon on the right that you can add emojis too, and the "Mark as spoiler" option on the left allows you to hide the image until a person clicks on it. The comment is optional, so once you add one or not just click “Upload” to post the file or “Cancel” to get rid of it. Note that once a file is posted you can only edit the text, not the file. If you uploaded the wrong one or need to change it, the only option is to delete and re-upload.
    A0eqyXK.png
    NQsXQpR.png

The second option for uploading a file is dragging and dropping. You can select more than one file too by holding the Ctrl key, so select however many you want and drag and drop into Discord. As you can see from the first popup, you can just hold Shift to upload the files without a comment.
    SdXpVI1.png

I chose to not use Shift, so here we are at the comment box. Note that I now have a third button called “Cancel All” due to several images being uploaded at once, and can still apply a spoiler too. Now you can either add something to the comments or skip it by hitting “Upload”, and then do this for each file you added.
    TiElplX.png

The last option is Uploading from a File, or folder. Click the little + arrow on the left in your chat box.
    tIADDYX.png

Your files then appear. Locate the images you need, select as many as you want, and then click “Open”. The same popup appears again, so add a comment or don’t, then upload.
    3AkFQEg.png

Last but not least, do not upload photos through your phone! It destroys the quality. That goes for judging through the phone too, you're not seeing the right quality when you do that.

Here is Discord’s tutorial about uploading files if you’d like to take a look: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/211866427-How-do-I-upload-images-and-GIFs-

A useful tidbit of information, especially if you become a judge or host on Discord, is that there is an “Open original” option for images so you can see the full size. To do this, click on the image you want to see in greater detail. It will open a popup showing the image in a larger size, but what you want to do is click the “Open original” option at the bottom left.
    nM8Weuq.png

This will open a new tab or window in your Default browser, showing the full size of the original image. It is important to do this so you can see the details and judge properly, as the regular size on Discord won’t cut it. Don’t forget to click on the image again if you see the zoom tool, that way you can zoom in even closer!
    3c777EJ.png

To save the image you just opened, right click the image and select “Save Image As”. A window pops up for you to select where you want to save it, what file type, and what to name it. When you are done hit “Save”.
    IRg16oZ.png
    XFV4qQw.png

To save an image using the browser version of Discord, DO NOT save the image directly from Discord. You will get a small version of the image and you do not want that, especially when saving the apps for competitions. Instead, click on the image and click “Open original” like before, or right click the image and select “Open image in new tab” or “Open link in new tab”. This will open the image in a new tab so that you can save the original size.
    eexITyv.png

And that’s it! That covers everything about chatting that you need to know. Next tutorial, for those interested, is hosting a server for competitions (WIP). If not, you’re officially done learning about Discord! I hope this helps you understand Discord better. Let me know if you have any questions.

Continue scrolling to next post for Discord Tutorial 4 - Hosting a Server or click [url=]here[/url]. Coming Soon!
    edited January 2019
    Discord Tutorials are now up! I also started working on a 4th about setting up a server for hosting. I'm seeing a lot of common mistakes, so the tutorial should hopefully fix that.
    Bahahaha! Soon as I publish the tutorials Discord updates with a new formatting option, spoiler tags! :joy: Just my luck! They've been added to the Chatting tutorial and I had to update several pictures and add a few sentences because of it (it can be added to images, emoji's, etc. too). Very happy to see them, it works well with competitions and now we can provide suspense for the results!