Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate suffering from Restartitis.

Yes it's a made up word. But I am the kind of person that keeps restarting everything 1000 times.
This time...

I can't decide if I am going to continue with my main gameplay and just make my vampire family famous, on top of everything else OR
If I am to start over.

And then if I start over, should I start with a single sim or a family or friends or... I find starting a truly Single sim is usually quite boring at first. BUT if I give her a friend or a roommate or a lover or a spouse, or a kid... There will be too many sims very soon (I rarely enjoy playing more than 3 or maybe four sims at once, too much to keep track of) and I have to throw out some of my starter sims to make room...

No I am not really asking for advice, I just want to vent! :smiley:

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Oof I suffer from that too. Game only really seems fun with the starting part (basic necessities, no money, and something that can maybe resemble a house if you squint) and then building up. Once the lot is completely decorated however.....I don't know what to do. Building is basically most of the fun for me.

There should be a support group for these type of Simmers
    EMrBkJP.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    Oof I suffer from that too. Game only really seems fun with the starting part (basic necessities, no money, and something that can maybe resemble a house if you squint) and then building up. Once the lot is completely decorated however.....I don't know what to do. Building is basically most of the fun for me.

Heh. I hear you.
    The thing is that WHEN I really find a character I like (no matter what game) I get really attached.
    But I don't want to play the Voght family in Get Famous just yet, after all they are all already extremely successful, rich, and have 8+ in all meaningful skills.

I am thinking of creating a young trio of friends, but I am not sure how to split it. Actor? Influencer? SOmething else? Part of me wants one of the friends to just be a normal Joe (or Joanne) and have a normal boring job...
  • roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    I feel like this is a norm for me. I restart so many times, it’s not even funny just because I run out of ideas what type of life I want my sims to live or because I’m not really fully satisfied. I love when sims are working their way up the latter then I end up being tempted to restart and do it again.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Never heard of this :) I still play the save I started back in 2014. I'm playing all households so if I'm very active I might age everyone up over a couple RL months. Some of the elders were young adults when I started. Uhm, ok, whenever there is a new pack I might start a new game just to test that the install works, and I'm eager playing something fresh for a few hrs, but then I can't help returning to my old save :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Well I am somewhere along the way.

A reality life streamer who will film her way from being very out of shape to Body Builder stardom (not so crass in her mind, at this point she just wants to Simtube her diet and workout to motivate herself. Might lead to fame, but it's not what she has in mind right now).

I just can't decide if I should pair her up with someone else or not.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I always wondered what the condition was called. Now that it has a name, perhaps we can form a self-help group for fellow sufferers? :D
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I restart a lot too. One day I want to create an entire save's world from scratch but it's going to be SO much effort.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    I restart a lot too. One day I want to create an entire save's world from scratch but it's going to be SO much effort.

Yeah I am leaning towards that for now. Or at least half way: Put in enough good venues, and fiddle with a few relationships (make the Caliente household... "fun").
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    See you at the support group! I think my issue is not being able to maintain the focus of why I created a family in the first place. I lose the momentum or get distracted with a new storyline...
    I usually get bored after 2-3 generations, especially if the family has become wealthy during that time, and/or the theme I started with no longer applies. I also tend to struggle with large households
    I usually get bored after 2-3 generations, especially if the family has become wealthy during that time, and/or the theme I started with no longer applies. I also tend to struggle with large households

Yeah in fact my newest vampire family is the household I have played with the longest. Admittedly 1. they are immortal and 2. I restarted it by exporting and importing them when i turned them into vampires. But yes, for me the breaking point tend to be where the children of the premade's children become adults. That's how long I usually last.
    MoonSim wrote: »
    See you at the support group! I think my issue is not being able to maintain the focus of why I created a family in the first place. I lose the momentum or get distracted with a new storyline...

Actually this time is the opposite: I want to continue my vampire save BUT I also feel that having really really rich full skill Sims ALSO become world famous celebs seems... overkill.
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Glad I ain’t the only one
    Oh hamburgers!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I do it too especially when I don't feel like playing with my main saves for some reason... or if I'm trying out a mod and don't want it to cause problems with my main saves. Usually if I get tired of those characters I put them in the library then delete the quicky save.. that way any skilling they've done is saved so if I restart I can use my own sims as a base... or toss them in another world as extras.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I suffer from this malady, too. So glad somebody gave it a name. I have to say the last time I truly restarted my Sims was when Parenthood came out. I have what I consider two game saves. I also do the "Save As" and add a number or a letter or both to it, so that the save refreshes itself. But one save is my Ancestral Save, the other is more futuristic and is where my Global Superstar resides.

In wishing to instill the Values given us by the Parenthood GP, I realized pretty quickly that it's way harder to start with teens. So, ultimately, I restarted that game save once again (for the umpteenth time) aging the teens down to Child and the Children down to toddlers.

With the other save, I had my singer Sim I'd recreated for Sims4 and created his parents from him, instead of what I did in Sims3, where I just selected the parents I thought I wanted and then placed the Sim I thought looked the most like what I had in mind for my singer and went from there. This time around, all of the children (5) were born in game. When it came to my Singer Sim, baby number 2, I aged him up in CAS to see if he looked like himself. If he didn't, I quickly exchanged him for the single Sim I made of him, prior out of my library. Then aged him back down to toddler.

I have to say, the only 'restarting' I have done since then, was to simply roll back two game saves, as I experienced my very first emotional deaths. Yes, I wrote deaths, as in plural. I can't ever have just a singular event. LOL I have to be the over-achiever and have two for the price of one. Well, needless to say, despite how it wrecked the overall story arc, I tried to carry on in the face of such loss. But, something very odd happened. My singer lost his Hit Beat standing and was no longer receiving autonomous concert bookings. (Yes, I use a mod made to compliment GF.) This was unacceptable. He's a Global Superstar and no gigs? Having to work his way back to 100/100 when he only had 5/100 wasn't acceptable. To even say playing this way was in any way acceptable. He had custody of his identical twin nephews! And little to no income?

I didn't have fun playing that scenario. The next morning when I awoke, it occurred to me to go back a game save. That was all well and good, but for the fact he still only had the 5/100 on his Hit Beat. So, I went back one more save and the twins were still infants, but he was back at 100/100 and getting booked left, right and sideways. I started having fun again. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2019
    I used to think I had a problem :D Because not even just with sims 4 but ever since I have been playing sims , even in sims 2, I always started over. But its going to make a huge turn around now, because I like the sims in 4 more than previous games, they engage me. I still have the same sims I made a while ago and Im going to continue using them.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @TheHarbinger_51
    This is a big part of it for me also ... it's just part of the way I play. I've done it since the beginning.. since the first Sims title. My ideas just take me places and I want to try new things, sometimes in the middle of starting an idea I just had... and I hate trying to build legacies personally. I'm just glad at this time that I can save the base sims/families with their skills intact at least and I enjoy the ability to label my longer term save games so I know what's going on there when I do revisit them.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I always restart, even in Sims3. I don't do it because I am bored though. I just do it because thats the way I like to play my sims games. I found that the older I got, I couldn't really handle or concentrate as good as years ago, so playing single is how I play. After I get so far with my single sim, I have her/him marry and have a baby. I will play the toddler stage because I absolutely love them! After that, I move on and start another single household.

I wish they had "roommates" like before. I don't want to control them as a single sim is about all I can handle :D

Now I am bad for playing a game and then starting a "new game", then I have 3 or 5 games I could load at any time. But I look at the older saved games later and think -"Do I want to play that game?" and end up just deleting them :*

Maybe you should start out as a single, and as soon as you feel like you are getting bored, then kick it up a notch and add another sim to the household?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I always restart, even in Sims3. I don't do it because I am bored though. I just do it because thats the way I like to play my sims games. I found that the older I got, I couldn't really handle or concentrate as good as years ago, so playing single is how I play. After I get so far with my single sim, I have her/him marry and have a baby. I will play the toddler stage because I absolutely love them! After that, I move on and start another single household.

I wish they had "roommates" like before. I don't want to control them as a single sim is about all I can handle :D

Now I am bad for playing a game and then starting a "new game", then I have 3 or 5 games I could load at any time. But I look at the older saved games later and think -"Do I want to play that game?" and end up just deleting them :*

Maybe you should start out as a single, and as soon as you feel like you are getting bored, then kick it up a notch and add another sim to the household?

I find I mostly restart when things either go drastically wrong, or as in my above post, a new pack has come out that I can't really apply to the household as it stands at that moment in time. I love to play full households. I'm not challenged enough with just a Sim or two. In fact the only time I play a single Sim is when I take up Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, as that's how you must begin.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I recently started a specific save for messing about with different ideas rather than constantly creating new ones. Any surviving family members from previous ideas get to live their life out while I move on to other things, and I have all the usual lots I want/need ready to use. It's working well so far.

But I am probably going to make a separate save in an attempt to start the world from scratch.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've started a new save -- actually playing in lilsimsie's save file I downloaded. Moved a few Sims out to Not in World so there was space for Holly Alto -- I'm playing her as a wannabe famous artist which is what she starts out as, and might transition her to Arts Critic once she gets to the top of the painter career. My main save I still have but I'm taking a break until they fix the bug where Quitting the Spotlight throws Last Exception errors, plus my Sim who quit the spotlight before he gained any Fame stars is still attracting fans. Once that bug is fixed I'll get back to that save.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

I find I mostly restart when things either go drastically wrong, or as in my above post, a new pack has come out that I can't really apply to the household as it stands at that moment in time. I love to play full households. I'm not challenged enough with just a Sim or two. In fact the only time I play a single Sim is when I take up Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, as that's how you must begin.

I do like starting out with single Sims, then have them find a partner while they're trying to grow their career. For active careers like GTW or the Acting career in GF, I prefer a single Sim for those because it's hard to balance sending your Sim to work and still take care of the rest of the family. So when I finally do my Actor/Actress, I'll likely start with a single Sim, move up in the career then I'll settle him/her down once they hit the top level.
    Vampris wrote: »

One thing I've started doing is when I feel like I've got my household at a good stopping point (usually when all the kids have aged up to YA and moved out), I'll retire that household by taking off the Played tag and let them age normally with the other townies and switch my attention to one of the offspring. I'll move them either into a small house or maybe a San Myshuno apartment and start them off with a different career than either of their parents. For example in my main save I have my Creatives -- Rob Boss and his wife Allyson (nee Raymond). Rob is an artist, while his wife is a stylist who also paints and writes books. They have three children, oldest brother Albert and the twins Harrison (boy) and Bryanna (girl); they got named by the game when I was playing with another household but I actually liked the names. I'm thinking Bryanna might end up as my actress, so when she ages up she'll move out and start pursuing Fame. I might make her infertile so I don't have to worry about random pregnancies, and she can adopt like Angelina Jolie. That could be an interesting twist on family life.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I can relate. Everything goes well until my sims get married and rich. I try, but the voices in my head keep saying "new househooold".