Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your machinima preferences?

2...Next

Comments

• dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Subtitles
    Subtitles, because really bad voice acting would ruin it for me.
    If the voice acting was good, I'd prefer that, but it's a gamble. So it's better to just be safe.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Subtitles
    I prefer creating movies with game sounds and not even poses, so I naturally need subtitles. But basically, if the story and production is good I think it's less important if the creator used voice over or subtitles. Voice acting needs to be convincing, though, and sound level should be leveled.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    Neither, just use the sims to tell the story (like Remi for example)
    Partly bc I’m used to reading subtitles to certain shows, I’m not always fond of voice acting bc sometimes the recording is poor quality.

@x_Always_Heart_x Poor quality recordings and the wrong voice (16 year old sim sounds like 82 year old British guy) can really ruin the experience.
    Appreciate the recommendations. I haven't watched any machinima yet. (Machinimas? What is the plural here?) Not against it--just haven't gotten around to it. It feels a bit like the world of fanfic to me--there's lots and lots of stuff out there and some is really good, but finding the good stuff can be tricky without someone to help navigate it.

@katrinasforest There is a lot of 'fanfic' out there about the townies, mainly the Goths! But there's a lot that just use sims to create their own music videos or even series. It never ceases to amaze me how talented simmers are. If you want to try GOOD machinima without the townie fanfic, try LoneWolf simmer, the second one. She's on the second season of Robin and it's incredible.
    edited December 2018
    @Karababy52 Jaydee is crazy good. Now I have to watch the other 3 too
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I don’t watch machinima
    Yours is a very good one @Karababy52. I started out only from a dance machinima which was really cute, and I liked it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylMviddbvk

It actually got me interested to see more. Then I saw Remi's BELLA GOTH: THE LAST HOPE, and I was blown away. I love watching them now. There really are good ones out there.

I remember watching that one and thinking how fun it was.

I liked this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5bC3Goaw6Y
    edited December 2018
    Holy cow does the hair move in Sims 4? That is so cool!! @Simberella777
    @Simmerville You got a new subscriber! Just watched the opening of one of your shows. Loved the editing.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Subtitles
    Thankyou @ZeeGee ! :smiley: I'm already a subscribers of yours. I never tried making machinima with TS3, so cool to see you are on that ball!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    @Simmerville Thank you. :) The kissing school video was hilarious :lol:
    What a great day to pull a sims marathon! Anyone else around want to vote in this poll?
    Last chance to make your opinion count! Over 600 views and under 100 votes!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Subtitles
    I prefer subtitles because part of the charm of The Sims is Simlish. I could do a lot of voices for my own series, but some of the female parts wouldn't be good at all so I'm sticking to subtitles for now. The money just isn't there to bring in voice talent and record it.
  • NeenzNeenz Posts: 44 Member
    Subtitles
    @ZeeGee I just watched the Robin vid, it’s brilliantly done! I’ll have a look on YouTube for more. That’s the kind of Machinima quality that I aspire to....one day 😎
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2019
    Subtitles
    Subtitles because it's often too difficult to just let the sims themselves tell the story (of course this doesn't apply to music videos). Remi however does a great job at this and is able to tell a story without voice-over or subtitles. Speaking about voice-overs, every single one I've watched had some terrible voice acting, more often than not due to bad microphones and what not.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    I don’t watch machinima
    I clearly do not watch
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2019
    I really like Remi's videos and he is a really good storyteller with them. I don't mind subtitles either. Honestly I prefer machinima over Let's Plays, but then again I grew up with them being really popular during the Sims 2 and 3 days. Like if people really want to see how creative machinimas are, checking out some Sims 2 videos wouldn't hurt. I think my favorite Machinima was a Sims 2 one called Deleted which actually did predict calling in the Sims 4 I think. It tells the story of what happens to Sims when they are removed in the game and how they go to this white void of space with other forgotten Sims. It is so hard to find and only able to find it in the video MTV did about the Sims at 5:20:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8AYEYMeG8
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I prefer subtitles because part of the charm of The Sims is Simlish. I could do a lot of voices for my own series, but some of the female parts wouldn't be good at all so I'm sticking to subtitles for now. The money just isn't there to bring in voice talent and record it.

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg There is a list of voice actors HERE at SimsFilmFest and they don't charge for their talent.
    @Neenz So glad you liked it! That was the first episode of Season 1. I highly recommend the rest of Season 1! She is filming Season 2 now, which is even better if that's even possible. :)
    @Huiiie_07 Thanks for voting and for explaining why you voted the way you did.

@Scobre A machinima fan! That's great. I agree, Sims 2 and Sims 3 videos are still relevant and amazing. Wish that Deleted video was still available, the little bit that is show looks like it would be great.
  • GLEichholzGLEichholz Posts: 129 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg There are a number of really good voice actors on that list that ZeeGee shared. Some of them are actually professional VAs that use machinima projects for practice. I am always willing to recommend people from that list.
  • NeenzNeenz Posts: 44 Member
    Subtitles
    @ZeeGee brilliant! I’ve subscribed so I’ll get updates 🙂
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2019
    I don't watch a lot sim videos and don't actively follow any machinima stories. I've seen the one about Bella Goth before and love it. One youtuber that I like is Hatsy and I noticed she has quite many machinimas. I wanted to post these videos from her Witches let's play where she tries different things in the short machinimas at the beginning of the videos...

Music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhdVn95kBI&amp;t=89s

Subtitles:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLjt-jwxIo

Voice over:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpSS9FM7NA

In these examples the voice over really shines! I think I might prefer music but if the sims talk, then I would like either subtitles or a voice over? I would say that my preferences depend more on the overall style of the story than the choice between above. I don't enjoy seeing a lot of poses or alpha CC for example.