The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are my Butlers Cursed?!

We hired a lovely butler and she was a great worker but she suddenly died at a young age and I have no idea what happened to her.

She was replaced by an elderly butler who was USELESS. After 4-5 Sim days of her not cooking, cleaning, or helping with the kids we fired her. Seriously the only thing this lady did was read books, watch tv and have baths in the family bathroom when the kids needed to get ready for school.

Her replacement was another wonderful young hard working woman like the first one and two days after hiring her she was dead too! Why are they dying? I have a butler quarters made for them with their own bed assigned to them, their own shower and toilet and I've double checked they could access it. Are they starving in our home, like do they need their own fridge too? The notiication only said give themm a bed. Seriously? What am I doing wrong?

Also, after the death of the second butler her replacement that just showed up was the one we fired again... *sigh* let's see if she does better this time.

Comments

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I tried using butlers in my celebrity mansion and didn’t do much better (none of them died at least). I had 3, the first one just disappeared, the second one did nothing, and the third one seemed to steal. I fired the third one after she kept eating all the leftovers, and I noticed a painting was suddenly missing off the wall. I guess for now I’ll just stick with daily maid service, at least the place stays clean.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited January 2019
    My 3rd Butler just died... but she was the useless one anyways... I'm in a house I designed with fairly normal skill traits on it.

She literally sat in a chair and watched my household Sim cook dinner...
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Dhruv Acharya, my current butler is doing F all in the main kitchen, just sitting there...he does do the gardening from time to time, but I've usually got it covered.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Constantly firing butlers and nanny for being completely useless to the point, where toddlers are starving and being taken away due to neglect when being taken care off when parents are at work.

the sim 2 had better npcs, the sims 3 and 4 ones are useless :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

^If both parents are gone to work I think I'd fire them and let the kids go to daycare, I think they are better taken care of there. In my case though the parents are work from home parents and in the house (while the mum is a writer and the dad stays home to help out with stuff cuz there are 6 little kids) so since they are home the kids never get sent to daycare. I have a teen now though and she does some nannying on the weekends for income so might just let mum take a break from writing and have more time with the kids, teen can help a bit too and the 3 infants just aged into toddlers. If I can potty train them enough that they don't need help every time they have to use the potty then I think I'm gonna fire nannies and butlers and just have the daily maid and gardner. Can always hire a one-time nanny on the more chaotic days and a caterer to cook when we run out of time. Probably cheaper than keeping a useless butler around. Besides now that our toddler aged up to child we could use the extra bedroom, he doesn't want to share with 3 other toddlers anymore and he definitely doesn't want to share with his older sisters haha.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    We hired a lovely butler and she was a great worker but she suddenly died at a young age and I have no idea what happened to her.

She was replaced by an elderly butler who was USELESS. After 4-5 Sim days of her not cooking, cleaning, or helping with the kids we fired her. Seriously the only thing this lady did was read books, watch tv and have baths in the family bathroom when the kids needed to get ready for school.

Her replacement was another wonderful young hard working woman like the first one and two days after hiring her she was dead too! Why are they dying? I have a butler quarters made for them with their own bed assigned to them, their own shower and toilet and I've double checked they could access it. Are they starving in our home, like do they need their own fridge too? The notiication only said give themm a bed. Seriously? What am I doing wrong?

Also, after the death of the second butler her replacement that just showed up was the one we fired again... *sigh* let's see if she does better this time.

Did you have something electronic/electric break down that's outside? I lost two Butlers in a row, because I made the unfortunately mistake of placing the Rock Climbing machine in the large back yard of my Sims' mansion. (In my own defense, this was before we got Seasons.) However, I never adjusted the lot once Seasons was installed. Well, of course the thing is electric and sparks were flying off of it. So, the Butler, a good man, took it upon himself to fix the thing. In the rain! He never gave up, even though he got shocked/dazed. Next thing I knew that dirge music began. The next day the Agency sent 'round another Butler, who was equally dedicated. He did his best to fix the Rock Climber, and even though my teen Sims did their best to distract him with other duties, alack and alas, we lost Butler number Two. I have since removed the deadly attraction, after attempting to find a way to enclose it.

The third Butler sent over was an elderly woman. I think she passed on, because another fellow was sent over to the family. Then one day, even though I'd assigned him his own room, with an adjacent, private bathroom and locked the door for all but the Butler, he was mysteriously gone. He didn't die, mind you. He's come to my young Global Superstar's concerts, many a time. Not only that, but he appears to live in his own household in Willow Springs. Why he up and left the family is beyond me.

Butlers are enigmatic, at best.

I find your suggestion about them having their own fridge a great idea. I have all but vampires, and there's that fridge you can have at work that has all kinds of snacking foods available. I may just add that to the butler's room. :confused:

Hope you have better luck with the slacker, second time around.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    My butlers have been dropping like flies and I finally had to give up on hiring one because all it did was make my family constantly sad. They couldn't get out of butler mourning.
    Mine don't seem to get sad when they die fortunately.

No. No outdoor electronics... Learned my lesson about that one before I hired a butler haha 😂
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Do you have Laundry perhaps? I watched my butler die to poor laundry management not too long ago.

dm8u4bT.jpg
    I have it but I have never placed any laundry items in my home so they don't do it lol
    One died in the bathroom, one the kitchen and one in her sleep in bed
  • WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 367 Member
    Wow, I've never seen a Sim die in their sleep.

I find the butlers extremely frustrating and stopped using them. After the latest expansion, all they did was loaf around.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Interesting. I've seen a lot of complaints about the butlers but this is a new one :D

As for me, I've had the same one since VG came out and I love him, he's been great.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I hired a butler for the first time in ages today and she seems useless, only doing tasks if prompted.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I want to go in and get a butler in my current play through to see if this is happening in my game. I've never had a butler die unless I did it lol. Maybe it's a recent thing?

To make them work for me... I usually praise them whenever they do good. I often check them in CAS and make them over a bit and sometimes even give them better traits depending on what type of story I want from them. I don't depend on the the Nanny or Butler to autonomously take care of kids even though often they will. I actually play the kids and ask them to do things. Like feed them, potty train them, use flash cards with them, read to them ect. They get better at doing things after they are trained some.
    egTcBMc.png
    ^My parents were very involved with the kids, but the three babies cried ALL night and the parents needed sleep too haha so I was hoping the butler and nanny could care for them a bit too. And two of three DID, one didn't, but then, you know, they died.

As for the dying in sleep I only assumed because she was in bed and then the grim reaper appeared and she got up and died, but it could have been from lack of food or whatever if she wasn't eating for whatever reason. Or old age, that one was super old. I just don't know, but she's the third to die so I'm done with butlers for now haha.

The 3 infants aged up now anyways so parents and teen and nanny will tag team potty training them as quick as possible and then things get so much easier haha! (We have two child aged sims in the household two and thanks to a mod we sometimes have foster kids there as well )
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    My butlers do need to eat. I see them grab something to eat when they have a break. Did you ban your butlers from the kitchen and they starved to death? They seem to have all the normal needs like getting tired and needing sleep. Can't remember if I've ever seen them go to the toilet or bathe.

I don't rely on the game to give me what I want, so I made some sims I liked into butlers using career cheats.
    Nope they were always in the kitchen cooking and I never stopped them from eating but I never told them to eat specifically either. I gave them everything for all their needs. Mine def. bathed.
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Speaking of Butlers, I'm surprised the game doesn't ban certain traits from appearing on Butlers.

My very first Butler I ever hired was:
    Lazy
    Slob
    Kleptomaniac

Needless to say, we canned her soon after we learned her traits.
    Next was a nice fellow:
    Clumsy
    Goofball
    Foodie

Lost him one day after the family had traveled away.
    Upon their return, who was back but the Lazy, Klepto, Slob they fired before.

Well... no deaths involved like yours, but I sure do hate the Butler I fired coming back in place of the one I actually liked having around.
    I didn't think to ask my butlers their traits! I'm gonna try without them for a bit but if I find I need them again I'm gonna do that next time.
    Cupid wrote: »
    Interesting. I've seen a lot of complaints about the butlers but this is a new one :D

As for me, I've had the same one since VG came out and I love him, he's been great.

Sounds like you were very lucky hahaha!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Sounds like you were very lucky hahaha!

Yeah, based on the stories I've been hearing I'll probably do everything in my power to hang onto this one :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    ^haha I would too!!!!
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Since Butlers don't work quite as well as I like them too in my game, my super rich families I've taken to giving them a live in butler-type sim that I control. I sure would prefer the game's coding with Butlers to work better, but it's made for some interesting stories in my game just designating sims to act in the way the Butler normally would. Also gives me someone to play when everyone else is off at work/school.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
    ^That would be fine if I wasn't trying to control 8 at once already, only 3 of which leave the house haha. I can barely keep up with their needs.