Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims autonomous choices are horrible

2...Next

Comments

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    For me it's all the idle ticks the sims have. They drive me crazy. I think once your parenting level is high caring for children is way more autonomous. For example, I'll have my child sim do homework and an available parent will autonomously go help. Checking toddler results in playing. I've had parents autonomously initiate flashcards or teach talking.

The other thing i hate is when motives are low sims choose things that make no sense. i.e. In a bathroom with a shower, and instead of using THAT shower they go clear cross to the other bathroom and get in the tub... Why?

Or instead of getting leftovers out of the fridge they cook a new mwal, typically from the grill. Again, why?
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    i would like to add another pinacle of sim autonomy stupidity…. cleaning up puddles outside while it is raining…. i really am wondering why i leave autonomy on any longer. i wanted to try it out but wow.... just wow... micromanaging is just way better unless you want to ór laugh at their huge level of faillure ór tear your hair out in pure aggrevation.
    Ceyllynn wrote: »
    i'd like to know why they are so fascinated with bathrooms and the tap water in there... open a retail store, and it's a party in the bathrooms. they will go out of their way to get a drink from the tap, and wash dishes in it... nevermind the kitchen sink or dishwasher. then there is all the dishes and glasses every where from them being slackers and the butler who should have clean as part of their AI ignores it all.

same here...their addiction to water is the main reason why i will never turn autonomy on ever again >.< and the apparant need to clean up puddles outside while it's still raining (and it rains almost every day in Windenburg...) is a close second
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    It seems like such a simple thing, but why isn’t there a system in place that prevents sims autonomously doing the same thing within a short time? I understand when it’s an urgent need (that’s fine) but if a sim just used the computer, they shouldn’t use it again for the next few hours at least.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Ceyllynn wrote: »
    i'd like to know why they are so fascinated with bathrooms and the tap water in there... open a retail store, and it's a party in the bathrooms. they will go out of their way to get a drink from the tap, and wash dishes in it... nevermind the kitchen sink or dishwasher. then there is all the dishes and glasses every where from them being slackers and the butler who should have clean as part of their AI ignores it all.

same here...their addiction to water is the main reason why i will never turn autonomy on ever again >.< and the apparant need to clean up puddles outside while it's still raining (and it rains almost every day in Windenburg...) is a close second

Even without autonomy, if you tell your Sim to mop up the puddles they've left around the shower, they will want to continue mopping outside. In a thunderstorm, usually.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • FireftrLtFireftrLt Posts: 54 Member
    I read through all of these. I don't know what to say. Although my Sims aren't perfect, I don't have any of the complaints you all have. I play with full autonomy and love it. Playing families, I normally concentrate on one Sim for skilling or romance or something and leave the others to do as they will. I go back and check, and most of the time, they're good. Sometimes, they even skill autonomously. No problem with toddler care, they even help with toddler skills. The only time I turn autonomy off is when I want them all to gather together for something, like a birthday cake.
    edited January 2019
    Even without autonomy, if you tell your Sim to mop up the puddles they've left around the shower, they will want to continue mopping outside. In a thunderstorm, usually.

yeah, but one mouseclick will end that when playing without autonomy. when autonomy is ON however...they will continuously spam the clean puddle action no matter how many times you cancel the action to the point where you actually hope for them to be struck by lightning >.< just because they anger me to the brink of insanity. quite a few of my sims ended up drowning in the pool during my autonomy testrun...how did that wall get there you ask? >:D probabely the gnomes! it's Always the gnomes..little evil buggers… but i learned one valuable lesson: autonomy in this game stinks and unless playing a large family it never goes on ever again.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    i would like to add another pinacle of sim autonomy stupidity…. cleaning up puddles outside while it is raining…. i really am wondering why i leave autonomy on any longer. i wanted to try it out but wow.... just wow... micromanaging is just way better unless you want to ór laugh at their huge level of faillure ór tear your hair out in pure aggrevation.

OMG, so much annoyance watching sims go outside to mop up rain....while it is raining. lol

It is...interesting...though, how different sims get fixated on specific things. When my household was 6 sims (3 teens, 1 child, and the parents), only two of them were puddle-obsessed (2 of the teens), only one of them was obsessed with mixing drinks (the dad), one was obsessed with painting (the mom), and the remaining teen was obsessed with socialization.

Have never had one with the tap water obsession I read about here in the forums...I don't think I've ever seen one of my sims go get a glass of tap water, and I do find it interesting (though often annoying) to see what specific things each sim gets a fixation on when I let autonomy drive.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    edited January 2019
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    and I do find it interesting (though often annoying) to see what specific things each sim gets a fixation on when I let autonomy drive.

when there are computers, stereos and sinks on the lot...nothing else really matters if autonomy is on in my games, Always the same result:

-they swarm the computers
    -they drink water
    -they dance (or listen if music lovers)
    -they watch tv
    -they go play in the rain or mop puddles in the yard
    -they talk or complain about the weather or stupid holidays 7 times in a row. especially complaining about stupid things continuously is a favorite among sims it seems when socializing.

that's really all i see sims do when autonomy is on....

• simlottesimlotte Posts: 56 Member
    i feel like the getting water action has gotten better over the last few patches, but I can't really let my sims on their own. If I didn't pull them away every time they would only sit on the computer play games or troll the forums. Doesn't matter which traits they have either. Or the dancing! I HIGHLY dislike the dancing!! Why can't they take proper care of their ridiculous needs? I mean it would save me some time and nerves if they just ate by themselves instead of going upstair to the computer, it taking 2 hours to cancel the action and them almost starved at arrival at the fridge.
    I wouldn't mind their stupid autonomous actions if they didn't take ages to do anything. Cancelling actions takes hours. Walking from one place to another, forever. And then I finally get them to eat and they just walk around the house looking for something to do while eating. Like talking, dancing, anything really.
    And my Sims excessively check on their toddlers. but more then check they never do autonomously. I hate them putting the toddler in the highchair just to put them down again and walking away. Alright. Your toddler is starving but you do you!
  • roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    edited January 2019
    My sims are always either drinking water from the bathroom, milk from the refridgerator or dancing to the stereo, lol. I don’t think it’s a big deal but what does annoy me is that I try having my sim take care of a toddler and my sim is just messing it all up and taking the toddler out of their high chairs.

But this is only because my toddler has eaten by grabbing food off the counter so that’s just maybe a sign that I should just delete the high chair and have my toddlers get the food themselves. Saves me the trouble.
    But this is only because my toddler has eaten by grabbing food off the counter so that’s just maybe a sign that I should just delete the high chair and have my toddlers get the food themselves. Saves me the trouble.

they can do that??? ohh sweetness that will save a mountainload of aggrevation! the beauty of ts 3 was that you could just feed the toddlers on the floor and if pottytrained they could take care of themselves (with your guidance ofc) so you wouldn't have to wait for an hour ingame time untill the parent was finally finished feeding them with a high chair, and in this game sims are more sluggish than ever! but if toddlers can take care of themselves in this game that would be bliss because sims are so terrible at parenting in this game it ain't funny anymore. they really prioritize the ffing computer even over their own kids, like: "hmm my little tyke needs food, but mehh screw them! gotta troll the forums and surf on the web first!" the high chair thing is also a horrible pain in the neck.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited January 2019
    My Sims totally need me to live decently and get anything useful done. Otherwise, they'd constantly go and do stuff with a full bladder and/or an empty stomach and be forced to give up on their activity shortly after. Also, they would choose to dine on light, high calorie meals and never get properly full.

More specifically, Caleb would do nothing but watch cooking shows, paint, drink tap water and get upset with its poor quality. Don wouldn't leave his exercise equipment ever and constantly be sore all over from overdoing his training.

I have to supervise and guide them, because they haven't got a shred of common sense between them :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    edited January 2019

they can do that??? ohh sweetness that will save a mountainload of aggrevation! the beauty of ts 3 was that you could just feed the toddlers on the floor and if pottytrained they could take care of themselves (with your guidance ofc) so you wouldn't have to wait for an hour ingame time untill the parent was finally finished feeding them with a high chair, and in this game sims are more sluggish than ever! but if toddlers can take care of themselves in this game that would be bliss because sims are so terrible at parenting in this game it ain't funny anymore. they really prioritize the ffing computer even over their own kids, like: "hmm my little tyke needs food, but mehh screw them! gotta troll the forums and surf on the web first!" the high chair thing is also a horrible pain in the neck.

Toddlers can be highly self sufficient. They can feed themselves as long as you have food on the counter or prompt them to eat and they will. They will go potty themselves and go to bed themselves! My sims aren’t horrible parents, it’s just sometimes they check the toddler when I am trying to feed them on the high chair occasionally. Now I just let them get it themselves, except when they first grow up to toddlers, I always fed them on the high chair in the first few days.

sweeeet. thanks for that info :D i love toddlers but i was getting fed up with the poor parenting of adults… now i can finally enjoy the little tykes again.
  • cyberlucy1965cyberlucy1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I found I can train them (especially the born in game ones) to do various things (like cleaning up after themselves) but the minute I start doing that for them they stop. Mine are very good at taking care of their own needs and most of the time theneeds of the toddler. The family oriented ones are almost too good with the toddlers. They won't leave them alone unless they are asleep. As far as living any kind of decent life beyond the basics I need to be there for them. Otherwise they would just watch TV, play on the computer, or dance.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    oh yeah they are dumb as hel. i hate having to micromanage every single little thing but thats just the way it is now. its even worse if you leave the house. if i send a sim out to a club or some other place and leave the rest of the household at home, they instantly go into stupid mode. when i come back all their motives are red and i have to scramble to take care of everyone and get some sleep before work/school. its aggravating.
  • CeyllynnCeyllynn Posts: 25 Member
    Zeri wrote: »
    oh yeah they are dumb as hel. i hate having to micromanage every single little thing but thats just the way it is now. its even worse if you leave the house. if i send a sim out to a club or some other place and leave the rest of the household at home, they instantly go into stupid mode. when i come back all their motives are red and i have to scramble to take care of everyone and get some sleep before work/school. its aggravating.

That's one of the few times I pop up a mailbox on whatever lot I am on and fill needs/prevent need decay. I'd be wherever for an hour game time and come back to near death.
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Zeri wrote: »

This, but I have frozen their needs and gotten the reward traits (Thanks MCCC for the motive freeze ability). Still very annoying when I find everyone except the sim(s) I've brought out going to the nearest TV and Computer. Even with autonomy off, it still happens.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I agree. Both of my Sims suddenly decided to act out of character. Essentially, they switched hobbies. Alexa, who is a Music Lover, started playing video games and Sam, who is a Geek, started playing guitar. Definitely enough to turn me off of playing them for a good while.
  • MakoSimsMakoSims Posts: 284 Member
    Drives me crazy when a sim is close to passing out, and instead of going to sleep they either take a nap or head to the coffee machine. GO TO SLEEP.
    Origin ID: sakura-drops
  • VespidaeVespidae Posts: 3,354 Member
    Pets also drive me crazy as well! They don't do anything! They just lay on the floor, that's it. Or they follow my sims around complaining that they want to play or have to go to the bathroom. I finally broke down and downloaded the mod that lets you control them.
    funny-kitten-scared-of-a-lizard_zps4fet4xdj.gif
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2019
    Been a while since I started this thread, but have to say my opinions haven't changed much since then. I'm not a programmer, and I'll give a lot of credit to everyone that makes the game do it's thing, and built the framework for their choice of what things to do in their day.
    But.
    Once that framework is in place, it should have been relatively easy to get the game balanced better. Objects send out advertisements saying "hey, I'm fun! or, I'll take care of that hygiene problem." and it's compared to needs and distance (at least the distance was included in earlier sims games...the way they pass up sinks next to them to go to one upstairs makes me wonder about this one). But it doesn't seem very well prioritized. Each need like bladder, hunger, hygiene, and sleep should have a point where a sim starts looking to fill it, and before that, things sims enjoy like socializing, fun objects, etc should be used. But sleep is already considered the moment it hits yellow, which is too early since that's barely below halfway, leading to sims going to bed at 9 and getting up at 3. That's more the way hygiene should work, so they actually try to shower BEFORE turning into walking stink bombs. Bladder would probably be better at yellow, too, just because it would make them go before bed if it was low. And who even knows what's going on with thirst and all the danged water.
    Toddlers, kids, and pets send out advertisements as well, but they're out of whack, too. Sim parents constantly go check on a sleeping kid (who needs nothing) but won't bathe a toddler who's crusty. Part of these problems I think are because of skills. Maybe a parent with high parenting skills will bathe a toddler more, but it's ridiculous to think that a beginning parent wouldn't at all. Or bathe a pet. Same with things like showers taking so long; they have to, so you can upgrade it to take a reasonable amount of time.
    I can forgive bugs that get fixed in a timely manner (that patience is pushed a bit, too, though...) but gameplay balance always seems haphazard, and it's a poor way to do things. Some new feature like celebrities will be added, and instead of having sims wave and get excited upon seeing them, they go absolutely bonkers for the whole time they are around, making playing the lot almost impossible. It's all just numbers, and paying more attention and tweaking them so they made the sims actually sim wouldn't exactly hurt.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I find it even worse than a sim with free will off, will still rush to sit on different chairs during a conversation, or even go using a computer. I don't remember all actions, but there are some that sims will do no matter of free will, even if it's not for filling needs. When making movies this game is very difficult. Wish there was a way to turn free will completely off.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg