Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Love The Sims 2?

124...Next

Comments

• EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Another thing that kept me playing for hours was the Lifetime Wants, Relationships and Memory systems. I would try to get Sims started on their Lifetime Wants in college by having them accumulate as many skill points and friends as possible (most of my Sims left college with 6-10 Friends/Best Friends Forever). This tied into the relationship system because most of my Sims met their future spouse in college. The Memory system was great as it helped me remember who they fell in love with, fought with and how high their GPA was when they graduated college, if they Maxed a skill or a Hobby, etc. It was also these features that made the game so enjoyable.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Silliness. Randomness. Just enough choices, not too much. Cartoony.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • tasha053109tasha053109 Posts: 18 Member
    It's the first Sims game that made me fall in love with the whole franchise. The attention to detail and the simulation is just fantastic. I have the UC now so the cds have been packed away. I found them the other day and just looking at all the boxes again reminded me of it excitement I felt every time an expansion or stuff pack come out and I saved my pocket money to buy them. I would definitely recommend to anyone to give the Sims 2 a go!
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Part of it is nostalgia. But I truly love the music, the memories, the storylines, the actions like shopping for food and clothes, the quirkiness, intrigue, the variety of design style you could have (anyone remember art nouveau? Loved the dresser in that collection), the way they reacted and interacted with each other. Such a beautiful game. 💗
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Currently playing a TS2 game where I started at University...gotta say, I'm really enjoying just how freaking hard it is...My college sim is so broke.

Also many moments of hilarity at how totally dense my dorm-mates are. They keep falling asleep IN the showers and passing out all over the dorm. And don't even get me started on how they walk around all stanky because they don't take an actual shower. Showers are for showering, people, not sleeping!

Running into the witches and the unsavory charlatan has also been pretty awesome. He stole my wallet! I had totally forgotten that could happen....

Just the total silliness of things that go on in the game is very entertaining, along with the amount of things I can have my sim do, as @Hejix has already said.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Currently playing a TS2 game where I started at University...gotta say, I'm really enjoying just how freaking hard it is...My college sim is so broke.

Also many moments of hilarity at how totally dense my dorm-mates are. They keep falling asleep IN the showers and passing out all over the dorm. And don't even get me started on how they walk around all stanky because they don't take an actual shower. Showers are for showering, people, not sleeping!

Running into the witches and the unsavory charlatan has also been pretty awesome. He stole my wallet! I had totally forgotten that could happen....

Just the total silliness of things that go on in the game is very entertaining, along with the amount of things I can have my sim do, as @Hejix has already said.

latest?cb=20120815151255

Or how about Jessie Miguel? Have you seen him in your game?
    Oh hamburgers!
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    LOL, @Bubbz3388 Not yet...where would I have the best chance of seeing him? He looks a bit like a hairless bigfoot.

So far my Sim hasn't left the university world other than some of the Hobbie lots. I did add some lots to the university world so I could do dance club and restaurant stuff in the local area. My Sim will be a Senior in 4 sim hours, so getting close to moving on to the real world.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    LOL, @Bubbz3388 Not yet...where would I have the best chance of seeing him? He looks a bit like a hairless bigfoot.

So far my Sim hasn't left the university world other than some of the Hobbie lots. I did add some lots to the university world so I could do dance club and restaurant stuff in the local area. My Sim will be a Senior in 4 sim hours, so getting close to moving on to the real world.

Jessie miguel travels with Tara, Elmer, and Nery Miguel. He should appear in any of the vacation worlds.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • NyxAxelNyxAxel Posts: 6 New Member
    Why I love Sims 2...

1) It actually runs well, even with every EP/Stuff Pack installed, and on any modern PC or laptop (set shadows to medium, and boom - perfect game).
    2) The gameplay is still flawless, even after all these years. I'm rarely ever bored of the game.
    3) Townie Sims are great in this compared to 3 and 4. Honestly, I love the stories and drama from them.

And finally...
    NEIGHBORHOOD STORIES!!! I'll never understand why Sims 3 and 4 doesn't have these, because they are AMAZING for world building. They tell a story about the Sims in the neighborhood, letting you get a feel for which Sims you might like to play, and what drama you could cause. It's great for when you want to choose a Townie family but don't know which, and even better when you're building the neighborhood from scratch and putting in your own created Sims and their drama.

There are things I don't like about Sims 2, though...
    1) No story progression. If I want the neighborhood to progress, I have to play every household. This is why I've spent more of my life in Sims 3 than Sims 2, because I don't feel like I'm forced to play other households that I don't want in 3 since they all do their own thing and age up too.
    2) No open world. Sims 3 open world is amazing. Yes, the open world was TERRIBLY programmed, as is the entire game in general, but c'mon - The immersion is worth the lag and glitches. I will say, though, that at least on modern computers that Sims 2 loading screens no longer take a year like they used to on older computers, so that's a plus.
    3) The full lifespan of a Sim is like 1 month in Sim time. This makes it hard for me to get into liking my Sims, because they die so fast, so I never really get to know them. I do know of mods that change this, and have them myself, so luckily they don't die within one day of me playing them anymore.
  • HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    I liked it because I really enjoyed the premade stories and mysteries which are still unanswered to this day. Another factor for me was that I could very easily add custom content to the game. I made skins in a wide variety of colours and then I would breed my Sims to see how the colours and features passed on down the generations.
    Of the games that have come afterwards I've played 3, free play and mobile. I only moved onto 3 because my new computers refused to run the old game saying that it wasn't compatible. I didn't like 3 and haven't tried 4. Actually I think that The Sims 3 and above went over the Uncanny Valley. I prefer electronic people to look unrealistic. Obviously I downloaded CC but I think only make-up, hair and clothes. I never wanted my Sims to look like real people and I don't like the push toward this because with all of the torture and stuff that people do to their Sims the more realistic they look the more sinister such gameplay is.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    It's more challenging to play than TS3 and TS4 - for me.
  • SimsInHogwartsSimsInHogwarts Posts: 57 Member
    Because it is a big part of my childhood. I like how the graphics were neither very low quality or way too realistic — just perfect. The expansions were really interesting and never made me boring, the towns were much better than the ones on TS4, you had plenty of empty space and lots and you could build or place as much of apartments as you wanted to, plus the premade families' storylines were much better and even quite spicy (Anyone remembers the Pleasant family?)
    Don't get me wrong. I love TS4 and it has a lot of advantages and things that were just missing from the previous sims games. But it also lacks a lot of things, or are poorly made compared to TS2 and TS3.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Not only was very it the first sims game I purchased (the first sims game I only played over my cousins house) but it's also the first PC game I really fell in love with. For me there was no game like it. The sims, the music, the ability to create your own world's, the many different things you could do in the game. It will forever be my favorite sims game.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • keanisims2keanisims2 Posts: 23 Member
    It's always been a favourite of mine, personally.

I played the original game back in the day and loved that too (especially when you got to travel to the magic neighbourhoods in Makin' Magic. That would entertain me for hours), but once Sims 2 came out it kinda took over and I've been playing it since.

I did play Sims 3 for a bit after my housemate at the time gave it to me to borrow, but found I didn't like the character designs as much (despite how you could change height, body weight, etc.) Sims 4 I enjoyed a lot, but somehow I don't think it'll run so smoothly on my laptop lol.

But back to Sims 2 itself - I love it mainly because it's easy to run, it has cool expansion packs (Nightlife is a favourite of mine) and it's the best game for me to create my machinima series :)
    Summer and Tinkles
    friends to the end
    Group text the whole crew,
    my mother f***ing friends
    Ketchup to the salt,
    salt to the fry
    "T" to the "Inkle"
    with a capital "I".

tumblr_nt9ogu6qTl1r0o130o1_400.gif
  • Lady_EarthLady_Earth Posts: 187 Member
    As others said, I loved the stories behind the neighborhoods and characters. Also, it's one of the few Sims sequels where there's enough space to play with a lot of different Sims and create legacies with families. The later sequels have this idea people only play with one or two families, hardly have any kids and stick with that. So with those you have to balance lot space with what you want to do.
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    The sims in TS2 just have so much more personality than TS3 or TS4. I do like TS3 and TS4 for different reasons, but the sims themselves are the most fun in TS2.