Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    @elinsims welcome.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    elinsims wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm very new to simlit so wanted to introduce myself. Hi! :) My name is Elin, I've been simming since the first game (although I was too young to be allowed to play it so I used to wake up at 5 in the morning and play it before my family woke up) and have recently gotten really into simlit and started writing my own! I've been a light simlit reader over the years but I really want to engage with the community more now that I am trying my hand at writing too. One of my favourite stories is The Bloomer Legacy by @ThePlumbob and I've also recently been enjoying catching up on the Clemonte Legacy on Wordpress by blossomsims (who I believe is @Hyacinth on the forums? Please correct me if I'm wrong!) - I'm halfway through generation 3 at the moment, can't wait to be caught up so I can read the posts as they go up!

If anyone is interested I'm currently writing a Build Newcrest legacy on my wordpress blog at elinsimlit.com :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all! :)

hello. i help cohost here. i never woke up early for sims but once stayed up til almost midnight simming.
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 Like my father says, there's times when you plant, and there's times when you harvest.Hang in there! And to awnser to your question, I'm good! Taking a small weekend break from writing to think on how to write a specific scene.

@friendsfan367 and @LyricSimsz15 I think that the off-topic session has quite a lot of things for people to do, there soooo many ''games'' to play in there!

@elinsims Welcome to the writer's loungue, and to Simlit! :) Hope you have a nice experience.
    Sourocha wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 Like my father says, there's times when you plant, and there's times when you harvest.Hang in there! And to awnser to your question, I'm good! Taking a small weekend break from writing to think on how to write a specific scene.

@friendsfan367 and @LyricSimsz15 I think that the off-topic session has quite a lot of things for people to do, there soooo many ''games'' to play in there!

@elinsims Welcome to the writer's loungue, and to Simlit! :) Hope you have a nice experience.

i'm bored because if i play the story will advance before i'm ready.

adamandeve should be proud i posted that without spoiling it for the readers not that i had any the last few days but it still counts. :)
  • elinsimselinsims Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you for the welcome messages, @Sourocha and @MadameLee :) Nice to meet you @friendsfan367 - that's late! I've done that once or twice too!
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    Welcome to the writer's lounge @elinsims :)
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
    Thank you for the welcome messages, @Sourocha and @MadameLee :) Nice to meet you @friendsfan367 - that's late! I've done that once or twice too!

i think once i was up til midnight.
    Sorry if I'm not paying attention I'm catching up with a trip journal I written two years ago I'm typing it into Word.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    So I've been thinking about asking this for a while.

What does everyone think about using curse words/vulgar language in stories? Do you get turned off by it?

I'm asking, because I am currently re reading (slightly editing) my story from chapter one and I realized that a few of the characters curse alot :D . Do you think it ruins the story?

I use curse words, because I think it's realistic (also IRL I curse every 5 mintues lol......sorry I am Italian lol) . so yeah just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this.
    THIRTYT(2).png
    edited January 2019
    Acarb90 wrote: »

What does everyone think about using curse words/vulgar language in stories? Do you get turned off by it?

I'm asking, because I am currently re reading (slightly editing) my story from chapter one and I realized that a few of the characters curse alot :D . Do you think it ruins the story?

I use curse words, because I think it's realistic (also IRL I curse every 5 mintues lol......sorry I am Italian lol) . so yeah just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this.

@Acarb90 A couple of sentences in Gen 2 when Carly was a teenager were word-for word taken from the Mean Girls movie from 2004. Not exactly swear words but they do have some idea behind them that a child wouldn't understand. There's one instance in the child year that a Carly says something that a teenager would say (maybe). Let's just say two sentences have to do with food but not in the way one thinks
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    i don't really have anything against swear words, though i typically don't use it myself very often. And certain ones make me uncomfortable but I know that others use them, so I can accept them. Typically its okay in a story as long as it's not so excessive that there isn't any story to go with it.

I'm not sure if i've actually read your story Acarb so I can't give a more direct answer than this. Hope it helps :3
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    My characters swear all the time in my stories. I have absolutely nothing against it :joy: (unless they're using slurs or something)
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @Acarb90: swearing has always been accepted in simlit on any site that doesn't censor it IMO. I've never run into trouble on WP for being vulgar (here is obviously a different story) and plus, I'd hate for this community to suppress our culture. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    (unless they're using slurs or something)

i did use some words last time because there was a post where christine is called names simply cause the pta thought ayden moved on too fast but noel and lauren i always left alone. everyone can see their interacial so i didn't feel like i needed to use those words,

ironically most of the kids look like noel. in rl it usually goes the other way.
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @Acarb90: swearing has always been accepted in simlit on any site that doesn't censor it IMO. I've never run into trouble on WP for being vulgar (here is obviously a different story) and plus, I'd hate for this community to suppress our culture. ;)

our culture?
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

Nah, I don't mind it. It's realistic. I might not but other people do it.

There's also different levels of swearing, which I guess could add differences to characters. The ones who don't, the ones who use it on occasion, the ones who swear moderately (not occasional but not every other sentence), the ones who use it every other sentence and the ones who can't go two seconds without saying at least one swear word. There's probably other groups someone can fall into but they're some of them.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

our culture?

Idk we're both Italian-Americans (to a lesser degree for me but I can attest to swearing, fighting, and social drinking to all be extremely normal)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

our culture?

Idk we're both Italian-Americans (to a lesser degree for me but I can attest to swearing, fighting, and social drinking to all be extremely normal)

cool. i did good only got confused once today. :)
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm very new to simlit so wanted to introduce myself. Hi! :) My name is Elin, I've been simming since the first game (although I was too young to be allowed to play it so I used to wake up at 5 in the morning and play it before my family woke up) and have recently gotten really into simlit and started writing my own! I've been a light simlit reader over the years but I really want to engage with the community more now that I am trying my hand at writing too. One of my favourite stories is The Bloomer Legacy by @ThePlumbob and I've also recently been enjoying catching up on the Clemonte Legacy on Wordpress by blossomsims (who I believe is @Hyacinth on the forums? Please correct me if I'm wrong!) - I'm halfway through generation 3 at the moment, can't wait to be caught up so I can read the posts as they go up!

If anyone is interested I'm currently writing a Build Newcrest legacy on my wordpress blog at elinsimlit.com :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all! :)

Welcome to the forums, @elinsims ! I bookmarked your site and added it to my WordPress Reader for future. I'm excited to see another #BuildNewcrest Challenge story. #BuildNewcresters unite! :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Thanks everyone! :)

Now I know I'm not the only one who uses swear words lol.

@InfraGreen that's all normal for me too :D . On top of being italian 80% of my family is from Brooklyn.....so it's even more normal for me LOL. I also "yell" when I talk. I always had to explain to friends that I'm not yelling.....it's just how I talk :lol:
    THIRTYT(2).png
    edited January 2019
    I posted on @mamasquirrel 's thread the update Anneorine temple does anyone want me to post the updated temple here?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hello fellow writers and Simmers! I hope everyone is having a good year so far. Welcome to the lounge @elinsims. I was curious about Simmers' ages and started a poll you can participate in here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/954037/just-out-of-curiosity-what-are-the-ages-of-all-the-simmers-out-there/p1
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • elinsimselinsims Posts: 15 Member
    @Acarb90 - Since I’m quite new I don’t want to risk putting off readers yet by swearing. I also don’t know how the forums are about linking to a site with swear words on, and would rather be cautious for now! I do have a planned update with a few “Plums” in it though.

I’m with @LyricSimsz15 on avoiding slurs for sure!

Thanks for the welcome, @LegacySims2017 :) I’ve looked at your blog before, haven’t had time to dive deep into it yet but I’m looking forward to getting to that! I love the idea of a simself legacy :)

@divanthesimmer Thanks for the welcome :) I checked out your poll! It's nice to see what a wide age range we simmers cover :)
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

Thanks for the welcome, @LegacySims2017 :) I’ve looked at your blog before, haven’t had time to dive deep into it yet but I’m looking forward to getting to that! I love the idea of a simself legacy :)

I enjoy seeing all the sim selfies on here. I wanted to do a Legacy with them and found the #BuildNewcrest Challenge and thought what a fun idea to showcase them. Of course mine is the Founder. :) I'm a few chapters away from starting Generation 3.

But so far, I've added @Cbear13 , @CathyTea , @Meggles , @Julyvee94 , @pronterus , @Simslover163 , @SimGuruSteve , @SimGuruArgus , and @MadameLee . Generation 3 will have 4+ more sim selfies.

Not ashamed to ask if you have a sim selfie that you would like to see in a future Generation if you have one. :grimace:

Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I think your story and characters require curse words and off-color language. It would feel inauthentic if they didn't. Your characters, some of them, can also be mean and gossipy, but again , that's integral and authentic.

Just keep doing what you're doing. You've got a great story and you're telling it well. Those who are put off by the language will likely be put off by the characters, setting, and actions, too, so just keep writing as the story demands and let your readers self-select.

Create that world, through character, language, action, and setting !
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top