July 1st- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
The Sims 4: High School Years EP launches July 28th! Click here to find out more!

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I used to know an old man who ran a business and the sign on his desk said "do it right the first time".

    Notice you said "Old" man. Sadly...only old people think like that in today's world. "Hurry up, now now now now" is the motto for the latest generations. (In general, sorry younger people...I know you aren't all like this.)
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,078 Member

    When did we start accepting that because 'all the studio's do it' makes it right? I play a lot of different games and no, not all the studio's do it, especially to the extent that this one does. Some actually take pride in their work.

    The sims series has consistently become worse with bugs and glitches over the years because the community is so willing to accept less and that is a crying shame. Your justification that all the studios do it is just flat out sad. We should be pushing them to produce better and better, with less glitches and bugs, not its ok, cause everyone else does it. If everyone else jumps off the proverbial cliff are you going to be right behind them? Not me.

    I taught my son if you do it right the first time, you don't have to do it a second time. And, yes, I'm old and proud of it and not willing to accept the excuses anymore from studios like Maxis and EA. I can actually understand a few tiny bugs getting through because even if they test the game play (which doesn't seem they do) they can't play everyone's style. But the multitude of stuff that breaks is just beyond belief. I bought Sims3 with its bugs and glitches and wore my rose colored glasses that they would fix those things. Still broke and still not gonna be fixed since it is no longer supported. At least Nraas studio's and other modders cared enough to try and fix it and make it a playable game. I won't buy another game from a studio that has to fixed by modders to be playable.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,516 Member
    I can't remember if I thought it was a failure back in 2015, I probably did, but I know I thought of it as a side game and a disappointment within the main series. I still think of it as a side game and a disappointment within the main series. It doesn't feel overall like a step forward in the franchise to me and in terms of a sandbox it barely feels like that.

    My sims all act the same and everything is overly goofy and cartoony and I can't even send my sim next door without a loading screen. There's something missing. It always feels like there's something missing when I play it and I don't mean content wise although yes, there's definitely some things missing there too. I don't feel connected in the way I was in the previous games. Any sim I created I felt connected with, even sims meant to be townies and I adored them and their personalities. The only reason I felt connected to my sims in The Sims 4 was because they were recreations of my sims in 3 and 2 but they felt lackluster and they weren't anything like how they were in the previous games even though I picked the same or as similar traits as I could. It didn't feel like I was playing with the sims I created but rather these generic, cookie cutter personality having sims that look like my sims. Playing The Sims 4 made me long for the connections I had with my sims in the previous games and so I gladly stick with the previous games.

    It has a couple advancements I can get behind and wouldn't mind seeing in the future but it feels so limited where before we were headed for limitless (minus a few bad choices, in my opinion) and that's my personal preference. I want as much of a sandbox as possible. I want as many options as possible and I benifit as a player when there's something for every type of player because I like and have fun doing it all from building to playing to sim creating and more. I wish and I hope they keep in mind for the series that what makes The Sims so great is the sandbox, the options and tools they can provide to help everyone make the game their own, and that they work to provide that more adequately in the next game.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I regard the Sims 4 as a success and not as a failure. My reasons are:
    1. Everything points in the direction that the sales numbers are very high: EA has prolonged the life of the game, EA still release a lot each year and EA seems very satisfied with the game.
    2. I agree though that EA has obtained this success by targeting the game much more at about 13 yrs olds than ever before. So EA has focused mainly on cheaper packs, stuff and autonomy instead of bigger more expensive packs with more gameplay and EA has also targeted the game at relative cheap laptops instead of targeting the game at more expensive gaming computers and more at new gameplay instead of stuff like EA did earlier.

    So I agree that for us mature simmers the Sims 4 was very disappointing already from the beginning. But the young main target group seems to have loved it and the game still sell very well.

    Personally I have left the forum and the Sims Freeplay is the only Sims game that I still play a little. The new young main group of simmers seem to prefer Twitter. But Twitter focuses too little at the Sims games too for me to use it. So even though I see the Sims 4 as a huge success for EA I also still see my time as a simmer as ending. But I don’t blame EA because I am sure that adult simmers now is a very small group of customers compared to the group of young teen simmers.

    I am leaving this forum again now and don’t really expect to come back.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 5,978 Member
    Sims 4 is definitely a success, though it's been a bumpy ride. I feel like it took a few years for it to really come into itself, even though I did like the base game at launch. I didn't feel like the base game was especially incomplete just because it didn't have toddlers and pools, but I did feel that way about Sims 3 when I couldn't use rotational play, couldn't see inside of public venues, couldn't make a Sim's features the way I wanted, and couldn't use mods. So the perceived success of a base game really just depends on the preferences and play styles of the player. In comparison to my experience with Sims 3, Sims 4 was an improvement.

    However, I found that after playing for a month or so, I could see where the game started to feel repetitive and that some of the depth was absent. It did start to play like it was a rushed development with cut corners, and the longevity of gameplay that was present in the past games just wasn't there, even after the first year of pack releases. It wasn't until Vampires came out that I felt it was finally getting some substance for me, and with the addition of Toddlers, it was good to see other people feeling the same. But even so, after a little while, there were still more things that became glaringly absent, like Fear, among many other things, which I'm still hoping gets added in somehow.

    So even though Sims 4 has come a long way and is successful, it still carries that feeling of incompletion when I play it. It's certainly gotten much better, and it's taking shape, but unless some key adjustments and additions are made - things that give the Sims themselves uniqueness and deeper personalities - it's going to carry that feeling of being a parody of past simulations, not an actual life simulation itself. And that may work well for some people, but I'd like to see more substance.

    But we have three more years of content coming. The chances are good that by the end, the struggle will have been worth it.
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I'm Sharing my Opinion here..
    When The Sims 4 was announced, i was really excited. then it released in September 2014 where i bought it on the same day of release OH MY GOD YAS! is all i had in my head at 12am that day... i installed the game, i started it up and ummm.. 1 hour playing it i turned it off and went back to sims 3.. but every pack released i still bought.. then in mid 2017 i finally said screw it, im gonna really try it out.. and over time they've added more and more and it doesnt feel less well dry lol.. i love this game now, i cant even go back to the sims 3, i've tried and i just cant! i just wanted to play sims 3 for university but still I CANT.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

    Legacy Challenge
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,090 Member
    Has Sims 4 been a successful game? Yes
    Does success mean it’s a good game? No

    Sims 4 has never gotten the formula right compared to the other games. The sims, and all of their over the top expressions/animations, don’t capture what made the other games so fun to play. I mean like live mode play, which is by far the worst aspect of the game - even after all of the DLC that has been released. It’s incredibly boring and way too easy (which is probably why it’s boring). There is no difficulty whatsoever in playing with these virtual people. Household of 8? Literally no problems, no drama, nothing that’s going to surprise me. Personalities are almost nonexistent, Sims all behave the same way. One sim feeling energized more often than another really has nothing to do with personality, but that’s the effect most traits have. Sims 2 and 3 were miles ahead of this game when it comes to live mode. They need to take some notes!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,124 Member
    There are somethings I think that Sims 4 has done very well. CAS for example (minus the CASt Sims 3 has), some of the parental interactions, some of the decorating tools.

    I like the game, but don't play it nearly as often as I do Sims 3 (trying to get Sims 2 UC to work properly), but I do play Sims 2 SC with no problems.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Has Sims 4 been a successful game? Yes
    Does success mean it’s a good game? No

    Sims 4 has never gotten the formula right compared to the other games. The sims, and all of their over the top expressions/animations, don’t capture what made the other games so fun to play. I mean like live mode play, which is by far the worst aspect of the game - even after all of the DLC that has been released. It’s incredibly boring and way too easy (which is probably why it’s boring). There is no difficulty whatsoever in playing with these virtual people. Household of 8? Literally no problems, no drama, nothing that’s going to surprise me. Personalities are almost nonexistent, Sims all behave the same way. One sim feeling energized more often than another really has nothing to do with personality, but that’s the effect most traits have. Sims 2 and 3 were miles ahead of this game when it comes to live mode. They need to take some notes!

    agree

    honestly all i do in the game is make sims in CAS and build. I rarely acutally play, yet I keep getting the expansions since I'm desperate for new interactions and animations. more *depth* I do wait for sales though. At least 50% off

    I really wish I could like live mode... but it's just so over the top and nonsensical. My toddlers keep running outside to play in the rain during a thunderstorm and my adults don't care about it. They don't even notice the toddler is outside. And when I tell them to get the kid, they go, pick up the toddler, stand for 1 second, and then put them down again. All my sims feel the same. My teen sims all flirt the exact same way as the adults. Introverted and extroverted sims react the same way to everything. ugh.

  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,467 Member
    There are somethings I think that Sims 4 has done very well. CAS for example (minus the CASt Sims 3 has), some of the parental interactions, some of the decorating tools.

    I like the game, but don't play it nearly as often as I do Sims 3 (trying to get Sims 2 UC to work properly), but I do play Sims 2 SC with no problems.

    What issues are you having running TS2 UC?
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,814 Member
    I love Sims 4. I played 1 and 2 before, but on my new laptop Sims 2 won't load, my laptop is a cheaper model and can't handle it. With the packs, Sims 4 is my favourite except that the loading screen every single time I want to switch locations...but maybe that loading screen is WHY my cheaper laptop can handle it so, oh well! haha!
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I was hoping for #6 initially, but I have discovered so many better things to do and games to play since its 2014 release (5 loooooong years ago) that I've pretty much filtered down as a #2 designee from your list.

    It was weird not being able to immerse myself in the latest sims iteration and I pondered for awhile the direction of the franchise that caused me to dislike so intensely something that I used to adore. I guess I've just become more discerning.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I really really love SIMS 4. So my answer is NEVERRRR! :blush:

    I play it everyday! Despite telling myself I need to "cut back". I own all of the DLC. And I will continue to buy them all.

    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!

    I agree. And It is definitely my favorite. 2000 was when I started playing sims games. I was just 10 yrs. :smiley: Sims 4 is by far my favorite sims game <3 No amount of criticism or bashing has ever changed the fact that I feel this way. It's a VERY good game. Actually. And before its all said and done , it will be great.

    And its laughable to say that sales doesnt mean a game is good, when the success depends off of people buying more packs to add to their games. Because they play and enjoy it. But somehow a minority of the sims community feeling disgruntled on the sims forums is a sign of failure and thats its not a good game LOL. Hey, to each their own reality! @Mirandanik
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
    While fully appreciating your enthousiasm, the fact you make such passionate comparisons triggers me to react.
    1. This one is by far the best. As much as you apparently enjoy it, no it’s not, not even a little, let alone by far. You may like the game the best for your own good reasons, but there are too many objective reasons that indicate the opposite. The game has its charms for sure, but it’s more surface than body.
    2. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3. Their looks in fact have been a major let down for me from the minute the game was announced and we saw the first trailer. I prefer Sims 3 sims (ánd Sims 2 sims for that matter, who also don’t have my favourite look) over them any time.
    3. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions. I’ll post a video about that down below*. The girl in the video nailed it. I have no problem seeing stuff in TS3 build/buy mode by the way, I don’t understand what you mean. Nor do I understand what you mean with having to buy for stuff with real money. Sims 4 costs real money as well and CASt gives you countless more options to design ‘new’ clothes. You’re not referring to Store stuff showing up in the game I hope? Because you can disable that.
    4. Also they are so much more in depth than the other games. You can say a lot about Sims 4, but not that it’s in depth. You get a ready to go, often scripted concept in a set in stone environment and you play. There are no consequences, the sims have no personalities, no memories, their emotions are identical and triggered by auras, not by what’s actually happening to them or social interactions and they simply don’t care about what happens around them. To me it always feels as if they’re acting conversations, without being bothered by what they’re talking about and to whom.

    *


    Seeing someone struggling over colours feels nothing less but alienating when you’re still building in Sims 3 I can assure you.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!

    I agree. And It is definitely my favorite. 2000 was when I started playing sims games. I was just 10 yrs. :smiley: Sims 4 is by far my favorite sims game <3 No amount of criticism or bashing has ever changed the fact that I feel this way. It's a VERY good game. Actually. And before its all said and done , it will be great.

    And its laughable to say that sales doesnt mean a game is good, when the success depends off of people buying more packs to add to their games. Because they play and enjoy it. But somehow a minority of the sims community feeling disgruntled on the sims forums is a sign of failure and thats its not a good game LOL. Hey, to each their own reality! @Mirandanik
    Sims 4 is the only real life simulation game that’s being developed, of course it sells. There’s no alternative. Apart from the fact that a lot of people are buying because they hope the game will get better. I for instance bought Get Together, City Living and Jungle Adventure for this reason. All three of them are not good packs, not to me that is. And still I bought them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
    While fully appreciating your enthousiasm, the fact you make such passionate comparisons triggers me to react.
    1. This one is by far the best. As much as you apparently enjoy it, no it’s not, not even a little, let alone by far. You may like the game the best for your own good reasons, but there are too many objective reasons that indicate the opposite. The game has its charms for sure, but it’s more surface than body.
    2. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3. Their looks in fact have been a major let down for me from the minute the game was announced and we saw the first trailer. I prefer Sims 3 sims (ánd Sims 2 sims for that matter, who also don’t have my favourite look) over them any time.
    3. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions. I’ll post a video about that down below*. The girl in the video nailed it. I have no problem seeing stuff in TS3 build/buy mode by the way, I don’t understand what you mean. Nor do I understand what you mean with having to buy for stuff with real money. Sims 4 costs real money as well and CASt gives you countless more options to design ‘new’ clothes. You’re not referring to Store stuff showing up in the game I hope? Because you can disable that.
    4. Also they are so much more in depth than the other games. You can say a lot about Sims 4, but not that it’s in depth. You get a ready to go, often scripted concept in a set in stone environment and you play. There are no consequences, the sims have no personalities, no memories, their emotions are identical and triggered by auras, not by what’s actually happening to them or social interactions and they simply don’t care about what happens around them.

    *


    Seeing someone struggling over colours feels nothing less but alienating when you’re still building in Sims 3 I can assure you.
    1-That can be said of any iteration. If a game focuses more on raw gameplay, world building, or simulation of sims it'll of course affect who enjoys it more for said reasons. If a game objectively brings the most enjoyment out of someone, then you can't say it isn't the best for them period. I can tear down any iteration from TS1 to this current one, it would still matter none to you if it's your favorite.
    2-I still consider TS3 my top favorite of the series, but without some serious work and/or mods almost every sim looked exactly the same weird popularly dubbed pudding faces. Making likenesses was very well near impossible, and randomly generated townies were horrendous.
    3-Give or take. Since we have no CASt I'd have hoped for a proper color palate, on the other hand the improvements to building itself are a nice addition if only hit by the issues highlighted in that video. Then again I'm not a build fan so in TS3 I barely used CASt anyways.
    4-Depends on what areas you are talking about here. Depth has been an issue since TS3. Rabbit holes for restaurants, spas, cinema, for example are 0 gameplay. It's a whole picture that we can fragment. How in-depth are the skills, the activities, the hobbies, the restaurants and their customization, the events, the active careers, etc. While on some like scripted events you can definitely say they are shallow "follow this to succeed" events, others are much more in-depth than in previous iterations. Things like how vampires work in the DLC, how you can fully customize a restaurant, how social outings or simply visiting places yields a lively crowd of sims doing their own thing, etc. So yeah, you can say that some areas do have much more depth than others or previous iterations and others are absolutely shallow, and you cannot tell me otherwise.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited January 2019
    Joanne, feeling that TS4 is the best is definitely not something you can disagree with , because it is their opinion (and mine too). It shouldnt matter, but Ive been playing since the beginning, your opinion is no more stronger than ours , just because you prefer sims 3 @JoAnne65

    No. The majority buy more expansions because they like this game. To believe the vast majority of players are just "hoping" it will become better is nothing more than projection. You have no basis on which to draw such a conclusion. And clearly you are unaccepting that many people enjoy it.

    Sims 3 is also still being sold.
    Post edited by EnjoyfulSimmer on
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,516 Member
    Joanne, feeling that TS4 is the best is definitely not something you can disagree with , because it is their opinion (and mine too). It shouldnt matter, but Ive been playing since the beginning, your opinion is no more stronger than ours , just because you prefer sims 3 @JoAnne65

    No. The majority buy more expansions because they like this game. To believe the vast majority of players are just "hoping" it will become better is nothing more than projection. You have no basis on which to draw such a conclusion. And clearly you are unaccepting that many people enjoy it.

    Sims 3 is also still being sold.

    I think the point is, which is something I planned to touch on too, the belief that sales mean a game is good is false. Sales don't equate to quality because quality is basically up to the individual. I've owned numerous things that I think aren't all that great but I either just kept them and hoped they'd grow on me, returned them, or gave them away. It counts as a sale but it doesn't mean it was a good product.

    We don't know why people buy. Not everyone is buying because they love TS4 and just have to have the next pack, but some are. Just like not everyone is buying to see if the next pack will make the game better, but some are. Some people aren't even buying at all. They just got it as a gift. I'm sure some of those people like it, and I'm sure some of those people don't, but it's not like it can be returned in most cases or resold like old Sims games or any cd or dvd can.

    Sales do not equate to a good game. It's just good for EA's pockets is all.

    Also, I don't think anyone here has a problem with anyone liking TS4 or accepting that fact. Just because someone makes counterpoints or disagrees or their view of things differs doesn't mean they don't accept opposing opinions.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,894 Member
    A lot of people start to see that there's no challenge and our sims don't have any personalities, it's the main problem of the game.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    Before reacting to the people who tagged me, I’d like to return to the OP of this topic for a moment and repeat the question that led to its title.

    Do you think it was a failure, a disappointment that will probably get better via expansions and patches, or think its a good game?

    By that formulation I can’t but answer that yes, for me Sims 4 unfortunately must be called a failure. Because even though enjoying it for a period of time whenever I get new content (GTW helped, Jungle Adventures helped and Vampires helped), it’s never longer than a couple of weeks (in JA’s case hours) and then I notice I quit opening the game again in favour of other games (like its predecessor but I play or plan to play other games too now). In the case of JA quiting was even accompanied by a feeling of great sadness, mourning even in a way, because I had truely great expectations for that one and for an hour or two, three it had lived up to that, this was it and it just hurt to bump into that wall again I keep bumping into for some reason with this game. I’d love to love this game and every time I must conclude that sadly enough I don’t. That, alas, defines failure.

    That’s me though, it’s clear it’s not like that for others. So, asking this question to me personally, is Sims 4 a failure: yes, I’m afraid it is and I’ve given up all hope that will ever change, because experience has taught me adding new content won’t change things and besides, I refuse to spend more money on a game that keeps disappointing me (even if it didn’t by the way, they’ve taken this concept much too far imo, turning DLC from an addition into a necessity).

    Is Sims 4 a failure in general? Apparently not, enough people play and love it apparently. That doesn’t mean I (or others who are in the same boat as me) can’t express why exactly this game is a failure for us, like others can express why it’s not. With all due respect, “the sims look the best” not only is a poor man’s argument (sure, looks of sims matters but it does’t ‘make’ the game, apart from the fact there’s so much CC available that if you really don’t like their appearance you can do something about it), it’s also clearly highly subjective. There’s a whole section down below filled with people loving the sims in the other iterations. They’re not lying about that, nor coping, they genuinely love the little buggers. Including me. Always have, also without CC even. And yes, they do tend to look alike in Sims 3 but they also look very much alike in Sims 4. That’s just exactly the same. I have no idea why EA apparently finds that such a struggle, but in all iterations they’ve covered the characters in some sort of art style that gives them an identical appearance. In fact, when I see a Sims 3 sim, I can often tell which simmer created it. In Sims 4 I just don’t manage to do that, in a way they’re actually more identical, not less. And whether you like that appearance apparently is subjective.
    Archieonic wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
    While fully appreciating your enthousiasm, the fact you make such passionate comparisons triggers me to react.
    1. This one is by far the best. As much as you apparently enjoy it, no it’s not, not even a little, let alone by far. You may like the game the best for your own good reasons, but there are too many objective reasons that indicate the opposite. The game has its charms for sure, but it’s more surface than body.
    2. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3. Their looks in fact have been a major let down for me from the minute the game was announced and we saw the first trailer. I prefer Sims 3 sims (ánd Sims 2 sims for that matter, who also don’t have my favourite look) over them any time.
    3. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions. I’ll post a video about that down below*. The girl in the video nailed it. I have no problem seeing stuff in TS3 build/buy mode by the way, I don’t understand what you mean. Nor do I understand what you mean with having to buy for stuff with real money. Sims 4 costs real money as well and CASt gives you countless more options to design ‘new’ clothes. You’re not referring to Store stuff showing up in the game I hope? Because you can disable that.
    4. Also they are so much more in depth than the other games. You can say a lot about Sims 4, but not that it’s in depth. You get a ready to go, often scripted concept in a set in stone environment and you play. There are no consequences, the sims have no personalities, no memories, their emotions are identical and triggered by auras, not by what’s actually happening to them or social interactions and they simply don’t care about what happens around them.

    *


    Seeing someone struggling over colours feels nothing less but alienating when you’re still building in Sims 3 I can assure you.
    1-That can be said of any iteration. If a game focuses more on raw gameplay, world building, or simulation of sims it'll of course affect who enjoys it more for said reasons. If a game objectively brings the most enjoyment out of someone, then you can't say it isn't the best for them period. I can tear down any iteration from TS1 to this current one, it would still matter none to you if it's your favorite.
    2-I still consider TS3 my top favorite of the series, but without some serious work and/or mods almost every sim looked exactly the same weird popularly dubbed pudding faces. Making likenesses was very well near impossible, and randomly generated townies were horrendous.
    3-Give or take. Since we have no CASt I'd have hoped for a proper color palate, on the other hand the improvements to building itself are a nice addition if only hit by the issues highlighted in that video. Then again I'm not a build fan so in TS3 I barely used CASt anyways.
    4-Depends on what areas you are talking about here. Depth has been an issue since TS3. Rabbit holes for restaurants, spas, cinema, for example are 0 gameplay. It's a whole picture that we can fragment. How in-depth are the skills, the activities, the hobbies, the restaurants and their customization, the events, the active careers, etc. While on some like scripted events you can definitely say they are shallow "follow this to succeed" events, others are much more in-depth than in previous iterations. Things like how vampires work in the DLC, how you can fully customize a restaurant, how social outings or simply visiting places yields a lively crowd of sims doing their own thing, etc. So yeah, you can say that some areas do have much more depth than others or previous iterations and others are absolutely shallow, and you cannot tell me otherwise.
    1. Yes, that was my point ;) The question “is Sims 4 a failure” when asked in general, can’t be anwered by “no, it’s actually the best!” Which doesn’t mean it can’t be useful to try and pinpoint why exactly the game is the best for you or why not. In fact discussing arguments can be quite helpful to define what simmers want from this game, even (I’d even go as far as saying because maybe..., when we sometimes want different (even opposite) things. Nothing wrong with trying to catch those aspects and put them into words. And indeed, this also goes for the other versions. I love Sims 3 but I agree with many objections people have against the game, because in many cases they are factual.
    2. I just don’t agree with that ;) I remember struggling for a couple of months with the males, but after that I’ve always liked the way they looked. I’ve also regretted the looks of the pudding NPC’s and the puffy way EA created their sims themselves, but never in a way it became horrendous for me. They just look a bit to plain to me. And oddly enough I’m more bothered by the looks (not just facial, also posture and attitude) of sims in 4. I just manage to like them really cartoony.
    3. All I can say is that I love building in Sims 3, I can completely lose myself doing that. Hours pass without me noticing. When I play Sims 4 I download houses from the gallery because I find building boring in the game. That completely comses down to CASt though. Sims 4 added some great tools that make building easier, but apparently that is not an essential ingredient for me when building houses for my sims. Which doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love to see some tools in Sims 3 by the way. It’s just that I never miss them when building in 3. Well..., the high walls maybe, those I’d love, and the adjustable windows. I was merely reacting there to the comment thoug, I don’t fully understand what they meant.
    4. Depth to me in this games means how sims react to each other. To what extent do their relationships and actions have an impact on the game I’m playing. Sims 3 has way too many open venues with loads of gameplay to say the game is shallow just because it also came with some rabbithole buildings. The game is about virtual people and the way they react to others, so in my view that’s where depth has to come from. And this is exactly where Sims 4 fails (whether you mind that is another question of course, but this is just not done properly). But also in this case, I was rather responding to the thesis Sims 4 is more in depth than its predecessors. If Sims 4 has proved one thing, it’s that crowds always being available does not add any depth to the game. Because the crowd is just standing there, talking into thin air (I can seriously never figure out who they are adressing), making all kind of noises and squeaks and this goes on for hours and hours and hours. Nothing actually happens. I just rather play a game with 5 sims constantly doing different stuff and adressing each other according to their traits and social connections, than a game with 50 sims standing in their own bubble making noises.
    Joanne, feeling that TS4 is the best is definitely not something you can disagree with , because it is their opinion (and mine too). It shouldnt matter, but Ive been playing since the beginning, your opinion is no more stronger than ours , just because you prefer sims 3 @JoAnne65

    No. The majority buy more expansions because they like this game. To believe the vast majority of players are just "hoping" it will become better is nothing more than projection. You have no basis on which to draw such a conclusion. And clearly you are unaccepting that many people enjoy it.

    Sims 3 is also still being sold.
    Yes, it is something I can disagree with. I can’t disagree with “it’s my favourite”, I can disagree with “it’s the best”. And when I say “Sims 4 is a failure”, you can also perfectly well disagree. Isn’t that what you’re doing here and rightly so? “I disagree the game is a failure, many people love it!” It’s still a failure to me. When an opinion is stated as a fact, it becomes a statement you can disagree with.

    In your second paragraph you’re just putting words in my mouth, please don’t? I never said a ‘vast majority of players are just hoping’, I say that the fact a game sells well doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good game. And I’m fully accepting many people enjoy it, I actually even stated that in my comments so I don’t quite understand why you’d conclude that. I accept that, I’ll have to because it’s true. I just don’t really care about it in regard to how I feel about the game myself.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks a few things:

    Let's remember to be respectful, first and foremost. People do have their own opinions. And people also communicate differently! Folks saying "The Sims 4 is the best" or "The Sims 4 is the worst" might mean they think that's objective fact, but it might also (and in the case of some of these recent posts, I feel it does) mean "In my opinion, Sims 4 is [the best/worst]" Let's please try to keep this in mind - this is a thread about people's opinions and feelings, so let's not get distracted by specific phrasing of how those are being expressed. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

    Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

    Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Gosh, I love the sims 4. It needs more depth, but honestly that’s my only complaint. I’ve probably made hundreds of sims on the sims 4, started so many families, and have experimented since I started playing about a year ago finding out what I liked and didn’t like, (which I think is normal?) but even the sims I didn’t like were enjoyable to play! Now I know what I like and have been playing my family 4-6 hours a week! Those who don’t enjoy it need a new play style, in my opinion. :)
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    The sims 4 failed you. That would be more of an accurate response. And it failed some other people. But did the Sims 4 actually fail? No. Because it did not . I can assure you , that there were quite a lot of people who quit the sims at sims 3 . Ive talked to quite a few other players now just by being in Sims groups on facebook and being on other platforms and just like me they didnt connect with sims themselves , in the 3rd sims games. I actually never got as in depth with S3, like i do with s4 , because I just couldnt get past how much I didn't like the sims . But just because we failed to get into sims 3 and didnt like things about it, doesnt mean it was a failure. Because it did not fail.

    How you "feel about the game" yourself, as you said, does not determine whether the game is a success or not. And it is an actual fact, that games are only successful long term, if enough people THINK ITS A GOOD GAME. Sims 4 has been out for over 4 years, if it wasn't a good game, it would not still be doing strong numbers, but it is :smiley: and will continue to. But dont let that get in the way of what you
    "believe" @JoAnne65

    And on that note, i think ive said all that I need to about this topic.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited January 2019
    I do not think it's a failure. I think that at initial launch it was a disappointment to a lot of people, both those who bought it and those who didn't, so sales are not an indication of an objective fact, because you don't know if people actually liked the game. Anyway:

    A lot of changes have been made to erase the disappointment that people had, or at least some of it. Personally, a lot of what I was unhappy about has changed, which is a good thing. Patches have kept me in this game, not DLC.

    Still, while many things I was unhappy about have been fixed in patches, some problems remain. I do not like whims, because they are often superficial and meaningless, with no impact on my game. Traits essentially do not affect my Sims unless I direct them to do so. I do not feel like my Sims are individual personalities unless I really really push them to be. Skills and jobs are too easy to attain, as are relationships. Interactions with other Sims look like the same thing over and over. I cannot edit my neighborhoods or even move on the map. Sims don't really die accidentally, pets don't even die at all, there are no consequences, edge, or stakes, so nothing that happens with my Sims feels valuable to me.

    Many things have been fixed, and so personally the game is mediocre in my eyes. I'm happy with fixes, but still disappointed in several aspects. Do I still play all the time? Yes, but only because I'm the one putting the work into the game. I'm coming up with stories and pushing Sims to be different, I'm using my imagination. And I have always done this with every sim game. But with 4 I feel the work I put into it carries the bulk of my enjoyment with the game. When I stop doing this, I tend not to play the game for months on end until I come up with an idea. The game doesn't pull me back in or keep me there: my own imagination does, and it's doing 80% of the work. And I don't think it should be that way.

    If you enjoy the game as is, that's fine. I literally do not care at all. Have a blast. These are just some of the things that bother me personally that I hope to see changed in the next few years of 4, or 5 if there is a 5.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top