January 11 - First Friday Highlight of 2019! Click here to check it out!

January Maxis Monthly (The Sims Now On Alexa)!!!!!!

Comments

  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 67 Member
    March!? Boy, I hope you're wrong.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Good grief! You people are ridiculous sometimes. The developers don't owe us a thing. You guys get out your pitchforks every month when you don't see something that pleases you. I applaud Kate and her measured words with a community who acts like little children all the time.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 5,020 Member
    edited January 9
    [Talking toilets and other technology is a big thing in Japan and other parts of the world.

    The talking toilet was a small feature to reflect the multicultural aspects of San Myshuno, along with the food stalls, the decor pieces and the CAS. I don't get why people make such a big deal about it.

    Silliest thing in the game, imo....but I use the heck out of the talking toilet so I'm certainly not ungrateful. Well said, @stilljustme2...people should be more respectful of the fact that their culture is not the ONLY culture in the world and that the Sims franchise is, in fact, a global one. The complaints about names from San Myshuno is also in this bucket, imo.

    People should also be respectful of the fact that people, even the devs, SHOULD be allowed to spend their free time however the heck they want! I'm honestly a little ashamed of the community for how many people are implying that this is not the case...
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    tumblr_nasnc4uUHi1tkpp11o1_500.png
    The Winters family Chronicle
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,243 Member
    @Cupid wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I can understand the frustration of some of the people here. The last expansion pack had a world so tiny an ant could barely move around in it. Even if this Alexa project was done on their own time, I rather they spent their own time fixing bugs or making bigger worlds. How many times have we heard, we didn't have time to add something in when they could have taken their passion time and added it in. I am not trying to be negative but special projects are a hard pill to swallow when we have so many bugs in the game and they are releasing expansion with a world with eleven lots.

    I can't. I also can't really understand how people think they should have a say in what someone does outside their paid work hours. That's called slavery. Besides, one guy wasn't gonna fix game-breaking bugs or expand DSV in his off-time.

    Because I am not convinced it was done in their free time because there was LITERALLY nothing coming out for the game in January. If it was done in their free time, where is the monthly patch?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    Personally, I think the Devs live in the bubble of elitists from silicon valley. At least that is the impression they keep projecting. These "side projects" are not seen as productive, cool, or even positive. I know I have asked for more gameplay that does not rely on my sims using any electronic devices. I also do not know anyone personally who has an alexa device, so it must be one of those devices I view as for the lazy.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,243 Member
    @Stormkeep wrote: »
    [Talking toilets and other technology is a big thing in Japan and other parts of the world.

    The talking toilet was a small feature to reflect the multicultural aspects of San Myshuno, along with the food stalls, the decor pieces and the CAS. I don't get why people make such a big deal about it.

    Silliest thing in the game, imo....but I use the heck out of the talking toilet so I'm certainly not ungrateful. Well said, @stilljustme2...people should be more respectful of the fact that their culture is not the ONLY culture in the world and that the Sims franchise is, in fact, a global one. The complaints about names from San Myshuno is also in this bucket, imo.

    People should also be respectful of the fact that people, even the devs, SHOULD be allowed to spend their free time however the heck they want! I'm honestly a little ashamed of the community for how many people are implying that this is not the case...

    I am not assuming it wasn't done in his free time for no reason. I just don't get how it COMPLETELY didn't take time away from his job yet this stream focused on nothing but that side-project. If he didn't work on it, yesterday's stream was supposed to not include a Sims 4 segment?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 250 Member
    I also do not know anyone personally who has an alexa device, so it must be one of those devices I view as for the lazy.

    Imagine judging people over using technology :D
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 9
    @Stormkeep
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Silliest thing in the game, imo....but I use the heck out of the talking toilet so I'm certainly not ungrateful.
    I would like to use them aswell but they are bugged. Buzzing from several rooms afar for months now.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    People should also be respectful of the fact that people, even the devs, SHOULD be allowed to spend their free time however the heck they want! I'm honestly a little ashamed of the community for how many people are implying that this is not the case...
    Im still looking for a comment saying the devs should not do these things in their free time.
    333 - Only half evil.
    34501032bb.jpg
    EA ID: Zasz_Zerg
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,235 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I also do not know anyone personally who has an alexa device, so it must be one of those devices I view as for the lazy.

    Imagine judging people over using technology :D

    Are you going to dispute the impression ads for those devices give? The impression the ads give is that those are for the lazy.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 9
    When they said Alexa skill I got worried they mean't an actual ingame skill.
    Alexa support is def something I wasn't expecting, I have an Alexa on my tablet I got for Christmas but most likely won't use it, since I can just pause. its likes voice controls right? Make your sim actually take care of themselves while you make a sandwich (cause god knows they can't).
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    Compared to how angry I would have been if they announced they are done with occults and won't do Witches, I am perfectly happy.
    Oh I would've had a stroke if they said "Oh Sims 4 is going into a more realistic route, no more fun just boring realism"
    But yeah pretty much my point of view, its like the echos from Super Smash Bros. Not taking a "slot" just something extra thrown in.
    the only thing I don't believe is it isn't sponsored, its not like EA pays them much
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 12,433 Member
    simm621 wrote: »
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Sort of afraid to ask here because I don't want to get caught in the middle of something but...can someone fill me in? I'm not on Twitter and I don't watch Maxis Monthly. From what I've gathered, something is happening with Amazon's Alexa and Maxis. Is this irl or in-game?

    Some Devs in their free time have been working on getting something done with Alexa. It's outside of the game and you can interact with Alexa on some fun things to do with The Sims like, trivia, playing music from all the sims games and some fun facts about The Sims.

    I won't have a device of that nature in my house. So, EA, fine. I'll not be using it — at all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 4,557 Member
    Personally, I think the Devs live in the bubble of elitists from silicon valley. At least that is the impression they keep projecting. These "side projects" are not seen as productive, cool, or even positive. I know I have asked for more gameplay that does not rely on my sims using any electronic devices. I also do not know anyone personally who has an alexa device, so it must be one of those devices I view as for the lazy.

    To you maybe, but to many people they get enjoyment out of it. I didn’t care for third person view but lots of people did/do. And if it’s true that the gardener is the result of a side project then plenty of people liked that. I agree I want my sims to have less dependence on electronics but arguably they are mimicking real life which I don’t like but what can I do? That’s the sims 4, it jumps on anything “trendy”

    And Alexa devices for the lazy? Perhaps for some. But I see my disabled Aunt using Alexa to help her with every day tasks around the home that she struggles with due to being in a wheelchair and having limited movement due to an accident. She now can turn off and on appliances and check on her baby and it’s helping her to feel independent. It also means we can video chat with her and we can keep in touch with her and vice versa so for her it’s life changing.

  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 930 Member
    @MidnightAura thank you! I was just about to say this. Alexa is helpful to a lot of people in this way.

    Different people enjoy different features, and giving people a variety gives everyone a turn at an enjoyable feature. This particular thing was done literally with someone's free time...and we don't have a say in what they do with that. The fact that someone works all the time for stuff for people here and then still wants to make more in their free time and is berated and hated for it just because it's not what they would have wanted is absurd.
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 618 Member
    edited January 9
    simm621 wrote: »
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Sort of afraid to ask here because I don't want to get caught in the middle of something but...can someone fill me in? I'm not on Twitter and I don't watch Maxis Monthly. From what I've gathered, something is happening with Amazon's Alexa and Maxis. Is this irl or in-game?

    Some Devs in their free time have been working on getting something done with Alexa. It's outside of the game and you can interact with Alexa on some fun things to do with The Sims like, trivia, playing music from all the sims games and some fun facts about The Sims.

    I won't have a device of that nature in my house. So, EA, fine. I'll not be using it — at all.

    I don't have or won't ever have them either but I won't moan about them giving the option to those that do. I actually really like that they just randomly give us something that isn't planned. I get use out of the first person view and terrain tools, so there'll probably be something else I will use in the future. If they decide to keep giving us extra stuff that is.
    qiJ0sJF.png
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 81,767 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Good grief! You people are ridiculous sometimes. The developers don't owe us a thing. You guys get out your pitchforks every month when you don't see something that pleases you. I applaud Kate and her measured words with a community who acts like little children all the time.

    Keep in mind this isnt the community at large. A lot of us was pleased with the news yesterday.

  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 29,481 Member
    edited January 9
    What pray tell does the Alexa skill have to do with The Sims 4 pc version? Download on Android? I thought most have iPhones. And wouldn't that mean this is for The Sims Mobile, or Freeplay? And if so, who gives a flying fig when we play the pc version.

    ETA: And if you want Sims to continue while you run to a bathroom why not enable the ability to set eight (8) commands in the queue (like in the older games) again? Wouldn't that be news since these Sims can't carry out two things in a queue.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    TS4 without Terrian Tools is like Windows 8 or 10 without the Start Menu.


  • storyystoryy Posts: 43 Member
    Not going to search through replies to see if anyone has mentioned this, but like, you do realize that they aren't just a freestanding indie gaming company... right? Amazon probably paid them a hefty chunk of cash to do this specific thing. They have goals and deadlines and milestones to reach that are part of working for a large company. Sometimes those are things we don't see. They're DEFINITELY already working on new content for us - just be patient. And I think it's safe to say that the ENTIRE team wasn't working on this one Alexa thing, which is so small. I'm sure there was a small group of devs dedicated to this, while the rest were working on the other components to be released.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 29,481 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Ez debunk for the "It didn't take away any resources" statement being thrown around.

    If it truly was a sidejob and was just done for fun, why is there no proper patch this month? I'll wait.

    Because:

    1. We got a patch last month
    2. Everyone just got back from the holidays
    3. It's only the 8th. We might still get a patch.

    The thing bolded there would not fly at my old career. I would have been fired for saying everyone just got back from the holidays. Also, I would have been fired if I had the excuse it's only the 8th. That is forty hours passed 5 work days x 8 hours a day...It's funny the excuses around here, they wouldn't fly in the real world in my neck of the woods.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    TS4 without Terrian Tools is like Windows 8 or 10 without the Start Menu.


  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 9
    Am I just an old fogey who is suspect of Alexa products in the real world, let alone the sim world..?? It's hard for me to understand why this feature would be necessary and without casting any shade, I cannot reasonably believe that something like this would be a "passion project" for anyone.... Regardless of that, I also doubt that the majority of simmers will be ecstatic to use this feature... Of course just speaking from my own perspective but it seems like a reach to remain relevant in the greater tech world that will probably be a fail. Then again, I would never have an Alexa in my own home so maybe people who are really accustomed to using theirs would think this is a great feature! Nonetheless an interesting way to spend development time and money.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 250 Member
    MoonSim wrote: »
    Nonetheless an interesting way to spend development time and money.

    sigh lol
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 67 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    MoonSim wrote: »
    Nonetheless an interesting way to spend development time and money.

    sigh lol

    I'm sighing right here with you. It could cost $0 (it probably did, reading these comments and just looking at the feature....) and I would still be scratching my head about this haha. Just one of those things I guess if you can't understand the point of something you're not even interested in then you oughta stick your nose somewhere else. Which I will now do :D
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,006 Member
    These maxis monthly’s lack enthusiasm and overall fun. They’re just plain boring. Also, “better communication” would be between us AND them. It’s not like they’re sitting there live streaming our thoughts and questions, they’re just talking to each other and announcing various things.

    Also, can we be done with tying TS4 into the latest technology/trend? Baby Ariel.. the girl from stranger things.. now Alexa. Let’s focus on incorporating things that should’ve been here 4 years ago.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 43 Member
    Wow @SimGuruKate - that was a very thorough and eloquent response. Thank you so much for diving in deep on this one. I apologize for my own expression of a partnership with Amazon - that was just my assumption.

    You guys are the best, keep doing what you're doing!
  • SimGuruKateSimGuruKate Posts: 37 SimGuru
    storyy wrote: »
    Wow @SimGuruKate - that was a very thorough and eloquent response. Thank you so much for diving in deep on this one. I apologize for my own expression of a partnership with Amazon - that was just my assumption.

    You guys are the best, keep doing what you're doing!

    To be honest it was a huge miss for us to not state at the very beginning it wasn't a paid partnership. It was also a miss that we didn't state that the Alexa Skill was free. We had a lot we wanted to show off about it and missed in that area. So it was absolutely within the rights of the viewer/consumer to think that it could have been sponsored.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top