Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Drowning, In Laundry!

2...Next

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I don't have Laundry Day, is it worth getting it for a family player? On one hand it adds realism to have to do more laundry with kids in the house, but if it turns into a part time job it's not fun. My experience from Sims 3 was everyone would drop their clothing wherever they changed, even guests changing into party clothes, so hamper in foyer :neutral:

I don't put laundry in every household, but I enjoy the pack. Unlike Sims 3, clothing goes into the nearest hamper -- you only get clothing piles if all the hampers are full. Just keep an eye on the hampers and if they look like they're filling up, run a load of laundry == haven't noticed if the maid does laundry but I haven't seen any clothing piles so I'm assuming she does. I like the various moodlets Sims get from clean clothes (at least now that the devs toned down the one for Warm Clothing so Sims don't get hysterical and die), and some of my favorite CAS comes from the pack, along with some nice decor items to make homes look more, well, homey.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Not that realistic, but you could put all the hampers in the laundry room, at least they wouldn't have to go all over the house to gather the laundry.

@Pegasys, not as unrealistic as you might think. IRL I have two hampers and I keep both of them right next to the washer/dryer in the laundry room. So, imo...your idea is TOTALLY realistic. :)

I don't know, having to go the laundry room every time I have dirty clothes seems like a pain to me, lol. I have two in my house, one in my room, one in the bathroom, the kids have to use one of those because I don't want to go all over the house to do laundry either though...

The laundry automatically goes into the hamper, wherever it is -- I tend to put them in bathrooms or bedrooms for realism's sake, but you can just have them in the laundry room and the clothes will all end up there. Maybe I'll try that in my house and just use the decor hampers (base game and Parenthood) in my builds.
  • CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    I don't mind having to do laundry a lot (5 sims in my house). I just wish I could click on the washer and say do laundry and my sim would automatically find the hampers and fill the washer. I don't like that I can only click on the hampers to fill laundry. Usually I just put one laundry basket in the laundry room so I can make it easier for me to find when my sims do laundry.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't know, having to go the laundry room every time I have dirty clothes seems like a pain to me, lol. I have two in my house, one in my room, one in the bathroom, the kids have to use one of those because I don't want to go all over the house to do laundry either though...

My laundry room is next to my master bathroom, and on the way to the rest of the house from the bedrooms...similar to my sims, it's not out of my way to drop clothes there into the hampers after changing or showering. Besides, dirty clothes are gross...I certainly don't want the hampers in the bedroom, and my bathroom doesn't have room for them.

I recognize that a lot of people have the laundry room somewhere more inconvenient, like in the basement or whatever. My entire house is laid out for the sake of convenience and efficiency though, it's just how my mind works. I tend to do the same thing when laying out my sim's homes as a result.

@Corenren If you are willing to use mods, one of the laundry overhaul mods adds the behaviour that you said you wanted wherein clicking the washing machine and selecting to do laundry has the sim go to each hamper to gather up the clothes and then take them to the wash. I don't recall if it is the laundry overhaul by LittleMsSam's, or one of the other laundry-related mods out there, but I remember testing a mod where that is how it worked. Pretty sure it's either the LittleMsSam's mods or a bienchen mod though, as those are generally the only ones I use in my game.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    In my current family home, my laundry room is right next to the kitchen -- it also doubles as a spot for pets to sleep when I have them in a household. Still debating if my current single loner Sim is going to get the stackable washer/dryer added to his San Myshuno apartment -- he'd probably only have to do laundry once a week tops.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I usually put the hampers in the same room as the washer and dryer which is the other half of the biggest bathroom in the house. Now that my sims are very well off, the laundry rooms have gotten bigger, but putting all the hampers there makes it easier just to go to the laundry room. I seem to recall someone at MTS maybe who made bigger capacity hampers for bigger families.

Thanks for the link, I use LittleMsSams' mods a lot and can't figure out how I missed that one, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I did some scouring for the mod @Stormkeep mentioned (the one where sims gather clothing from all hampers when doing laundry), but unfortunately, I couldn't find it. Looked through LittleMsSam's laundry overhaul and on bienchen's site and came up empty. I did however find this mod by egureh which expands the clothing capacity of the hamper so it won't fill up as fast as it does in the vanilla game. Sounds like it'll help!
    edited January 2019
    I did some scouring for the mod @Stormkeep mentioned (the one where sims gather clothing from all hampers when doing laundry), but unfortunately, I couldn't find it. Looked through LittleMsSam's laundry overhaul and on bienchen's site and came up empty. I did however find this mod by egureh which expands the clothing capacity of the hamper so it won't fill up as fast as it does in the vanilla game. Sounds like it'll help!

Pretty sure if you have LIttleMsSam's mods installed, when you click and select to do laundry it has you go to each hamper, put them in inventory, and then to the washer to load them all. I know it doesn't mention that in her mod description, but iirc that is what happens. Benefit of it enabling putting the laundry in sim inventory.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »

Pretty sure if you have LIttleMsSam's mods installed, when you click and select to do laundry it has you go to each hamper, put them in inventory, and then to the washer to load them all. I know it doesn't mention that in her mod description, but iirc that is what happens. Benefit of it enabling putting the laundry in sim inventory.

Hmm. I just tested it in my game and my sim still only gathered one pile from the selected hamper and another that was on the floor before bringing it to the washing machine (I do have the inventory part of the mod installed.) Could you possibly be thinking of TS3's laundry system? I believe that in that game sims would go around gathering clothes from hampers before throwing it all in the wash.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    This is my new favorite mod when it comes to washing clothes!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have LMS Small Laundry Overhaul, but I also have Larger Hamper Capacity (100 instead of 20 clothes piles)

Makes life simpler because they fill up less frequently.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks to whoever shared that tip about Patchy doing laundry! One of my families that need assistance with laundry (because they only have a washtub, which takes forever and doesn't even get the clothes really clean most of the time) actually has a Patchy in the garden, but I had no idea he could be used that way. Guess it's time to befriend him already!

What irritates me about laundry is that if you have more than one hamper and tell a sim to take care of one, they will completely ignore all the others. Even if you queue up several hamper interactions, they will take each set of laundry to the washing machine individually before walking to the next hamper. Depending on the size of your house, this can take all day, and it's even more annoying with washtubs because sims start washing automatically as soon as they get there. The only solution I've found is to let them take the clothes out, then cancel the action so they put them on the floor, and when there's only one filled hamper left, let them do their thing because they will at least pick up any piles of clothes they come across.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    In my legacy save, my sim became friends with Patchy and never had to do laundry again.
    Honestly, Patchy is like a free live-in cleaner, gardener and babysitter. Pretty much essential in a large household.

@MDianaSanders How does Patchy compare to a butler?
    edited January 2019

Hmm. I just tested it in my game and my sim still only gathered one pile from the selected hamper and another that was on the floor before bringing it to the washing machine (I do have the inventory part of the mod installed.) Could you possibly be thinking of TS3's laundry system? I believe that in that game sims would go around gathering clothes from hampers before throwing it all in the wash.
    I'm sure I'm not thinking of TS3, because I'm remembering my sims from generation 1 of my current TS4 game doing it. .....I did test one other laundry mod besides LittleMsSam's, so that may be the one I am thinking of. For the life of me I can't remember where I got it though and because I didn't keep it in the game I don't have any record of it. I checked one other place (TFM's site) that I thought maybe is where I got it, but couldn't find it there either. :-/ Ah well, sorry!

• PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    @stilljustme2 Thank you for your insightful reply, just the type of info I was looking for. I'm happy I don't need to have hampers in every room for Sims 4. And I'm always looking for more home-style decor. This is on my get-list now :smile:

So many other helpful tips in this thread, I've learned a lot from reading this. If only I could have Patchy irl to help me with laundry! ...Reminds me there is probably a full hamper somewhere :smiley:
  • yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    I would keep 1 to 2 hampers in the laundry room next to the washer. And once they start becoming full just move the laundry into the washer but I don’t start the washer. I just keep moving it in their every two days and then actually go through washing once a week
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I put 1-3 hampers in my laundry room and non functioning deco hampers in bedrooms & bathrooms sometimes for atmosphere. That way the laundry generates right near the machines, I just pretend there's a laundry chute and my Sims don't have to walk all over the house collecting. I find 1 hamper per 2 Sims to be a pretty good ratio.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    This why I didn't buy it. Everything they do is overboard.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Wouldn't directing kids to put clothes in hamper or machine, be a good way to build responsibility? I don't have the Laundry pack, though, no idea how long it would take or if kids can use the machine at all.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Wouldn't directing kids to put clothes in hamper or machine, be a good way to build responsibility? I don't have the Laundry pack, though, no idea how long it would take or if kids can use the machine at all.

They can use the machine and it does build responsibility. You just cant use the washer and dryer that are stacked.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited January 2019
    I put 1-3 hampers in my laundry room and non functioning deco hampers in bedrooms & bathrooms sometimes for atmosphere. That way the laundry generates right near the machines, I just pretend there's a laundry chute and my Sims don't have to walk all over the house collecting. I find 1 hamper per 2 Sims to be a pretty good ratio.

Your advice just saved my day! I totally forgot we had deco hampers.

Children can do laundry entirely on their own as long as a washing machine and a dryer are involved and not stacked, however they cannot use the washtub and the clothesline. I guess it does build responsibility, but that comes pretty much automatically as long as you send them to school every now and then.

Edit: Someone beat me to it!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited January 2019

That's the one! Thank you for the link!

Edit to say, the mod by egureh is the one I saw...good job!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited January 2019

Your advice just saved my day! I totally forgot we had deco hampers.

Glad to help! 😊