Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about The Sims coming to Alexa? Was this an exciting announcement for you?

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I am not interest, wow, I can't believe that this was a side project, they have time for a side project and no time to tell us anything about sims 5, even when it will be out, how sad is that. this project to me has nothing to do with the sims game.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Excited
    3KNPen wrote: »
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    Not to stray too far off topic or bring up negativity, but Kates tweets about the stream were intense. Were people truly that upset about a passion project? I caught a bit of the playback of the stream but not the whole thing, and didn’t watch the chat. Was the chat truly that awful? I just don’t get it.

It was that bad, yeah. I was there. There were death threats, people screaming that this was a waste of time and money, that they could be doing something more important, etc.

It was awful.

Seriously death threats over a video game? Over not getting some feature you want in a video game? Over the devs showing off something in a stream that they enjoyed rather then giving details about features in video game?

This community is the most entitled, ridiculous group on the planet. I think if a video game can drive you into such a fit of rage that you’re threatening people over it it’s probably time to find a different game.

I have absolutely no interest in this feature. I won’t use it. But it existing doesn’t hurt me or the game.

Agreed, it is unbelievable that this had happened. I didn't expect this to occur. For me, if they created a feature that dosen't fit my playstyle, then I would be happy since I know that someone will use it. I can see how it can make someone who loves the sims, can relax with this app. Its even shocking when people are calling the devs that creating something that is "useless" instead of something want, even if we know that they are working on the content that they wanted. Its just that game development takes time. They had a schedule to follow. So if they never intent to release a pack this January, then of course, there will be never be a pack in January since content is planned a years before it happened. Its sad that this has happened. I am happy that here at forums, we never do those death threats, while there are times that discussion becomes heated, I am happy how we try to think other people feeling when posting at the forums.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Indifferent
    My impression is that since the gurus were going all out with making our sims addicts to any and all electronic devices/social media, they must think all people IRL should be like that. Personally, it just makes me view announcements with strict skepticism, expecting not to even like the content. These "side projects" are not seen in a positive manner.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Excited
    Evalen wrote: »
    I am not interest, wow, I can't believe that this was a side project, they have time for a side project and no time to tell us anything about sims 5, even when it will be out, how sad is that. this project to me has nothing to do with the sims game.

If they are not working on The Sims 5, or The Sims 5 is not yet ready to be announced yet since it might be too early, why would they tell they tell anything about it?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    Disappointed
    Given what's been reported about Alexa and the misinformation it gives, let alone spying on us whether it's activated or not, I'm grossly disappointed that EA would normalize the use of such a device. No Sim of mine will ever own that thing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I still don’t completely understand the point of those devices in the first place!? I guess it’s a side effect of getting old.. anyway I’m sure someone will enjoy it.

It's for lazy people who don't want to go through the work of unlocking their phone or turn on their computer and put some music on youtube, simple.

Someday we will all have an app that opens our eyelids for us.

For lazy people? What an odd thing to say.

I do have an echo dot. I got it free with my Sirius XM subscription. As you may or may not know, Sirius usually requires a specific radio (for most people in their car) to access. I got the upgrade to listen on my devices as my Christmas present to me. It came with a free echo dot.

It is not "lazy" to use it to listen to music or get updates on news as you are doing other things.

I don't understand how the sims will interact, but i haven't seen the announcement video. To answer the OP, I can't imagine using either Alexa or The Sims together.
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    @Inna Minnit

Those devices are also what I see for the lazy. For news, I actually read the newspaper online or listen to my local talk radio station so there is no need for a special device. For music, I just downloaded at my personal CD to my computer and then transferred them to my phone. I actually have to go in and click on them to play. The only other device I own besides a computer and phone is a Kindle that is strictly used to read books.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Well, we will judge all users by what you do. I didn't expect to find a luddite on a game forum but ok.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Indifferent
    I'm indifferent because I don't have an Alexa device. My boyfriend does, so I may have him use the music feature of it - although I can listen to the music on Spotify if I chose to do so... But I think it could be a fun thing for some people. Who doesn't love trivia? I'll probably end up using it from time to time ;)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    Indifferent as I don't have or want the device and I'm not interested in Sims trivia or music, but I also don't think it makes anyone lazy to use it. In fact I think that listening to the news while you're exercising or washing your dishes is less lazy than sitting in front of a computer screen reading it ... I imagine some people could be lazy with it but I've always pictured that most people using it are busy active people with not enough time to sit down and read the stuff themselves 😂

• storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Indifferent
    It's odd that anyone seems to think that these smart devices are for the lazy. It's an accessible and convenient tool that a LOT of people benefit from. I'd say it's helpful for those who are multitasking! And if y'all think that Alexa/Siri/Google are the first items to "spy" on you, I have some really bad news about your phones and personal computers.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think its a fun extra. Skyrim also has an Alexa Skill. I don't see the harm in it. Its fun if you like the sims soundtracks.
    As I said on the other thread, devices that have Alexa aren't just for "lazy" people. I have a disabled family member who has had so much improvement in her life since getting a few Alexa devices in her house and it means that she can contact anyone in the family who has one and vice versa. (Family member has limited movement so can't just pick up a phone and text or call) I don't see how that can be a bad thing. I agree for those that have smartphones and use Siri or Bixby or social media- your information is already being collated.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    Indifferent
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > @Inna Minnit
    >
    > Those devices are also what I see for the lazy. For news, I actually read the newspaper online or listen to my local talk radio station so there is no need for a special device. For music, I just downloaded at my personal CD to my computer and then transferred them to my phone. I actually have to go in and click on them to play. The only other device I own besides a computer and phone is a Kindle that is strictly used to read books.

wel hurrah for you.

Im sorry but i find your attitude and judgemental comments really distasteful. All smart technology users must be lazy. Right.

Well, i happen to use smart technology to the fullest of its potential that i am able to, to assisst me with my daily life because i have complex health conditions and several disabilities. Whilst i dont use any amazon alexa devices, because i chose to go down the more open platform of google assisstant, i do use smart tech to help make my life easier. To control media devices yes whilst can save me tiring and painful short trips back and forth around a room, but more also to control my lights, medical equipment and security around my home.

I even use my own cctv camera to watch and speak to my cat when i am in hospital or having respite in a care home, and way more importantly i use extensive technology to manage my medical conditions, medical data, records, complex reminders for medications, weight management, observations, and organising my care shifts and appointment diary in a way that several people can share the same diary and edit is simultainously across a wide range of devices so that my diary is always up to date and flexible. My Drs think this is fantastic. i hand write notes at each appointment on my phone which autosaves the notes, they use my apps to review my readings at check ups and acute consultations, they can view my sleep apnoea data, my sleeping patterns, my blood sugar readings and insulin intake, my exercise levels and heart rate and i even have a device that records my heart rate and oxygen levels whilst i sleep/am accutely unwell which can either produce professional medical grade reports (the same kit the hospital use) or i can use it as a warning device for when i need to be calling an ambulance and go in to hospital. I can even email over compliance reports for my medication reminders which include records of how much breakthrough pain releif i have required over the month which has allowed the NHS funding teams to use it as supportive evidence for my level of medical need and also to agree to fund remedial massage as an alternative pain releif treatment because the pain data showed a significant drop in medication useage each time i had a massage. Now when i enter the consultation room my drs are asking for my phone to look over my data, because they dont see smart technology as a bit of fun, or as a lazy person's toy. They see that it has the potential to produce relevant information for them to use in diagnostics and condition management, and they also understand that smart technology is improving my independence. To the point that my local authority social service department has started to supply some disabled residents with smart home devices, like Alexa, to control electronics around the home in place of traditional home help care services because for some people (not all) this is far more adaptive and enabling than set care visits.

My Dad recently suffered a stroke at the age of 63. a catastrauphic stroke that has left him with a significant brain injury and paralysed down one side. I am now beginning to build a smart home system for his bedroom in the care home he has been moved to, so that he is able to control simple things like the tv, radio, lights etc for himself because at the moment he is completely unable to do these things without the help of another person and is getting increasingly frustrated. I also hope to teach him to use the technology to help him work out the day/time of day because he is terribly confused about that, and i want to hook him up with the cat cctv because he misses those animals to the point of regularly being in tears. He struggles to even dial a phone independently because of his brain injury, so when i am able to enable voice activated calling or video calls the next time i visit i know this will be a game changer for him and my mum who misses talking to him. He is a complete technophobe, but he is very much seeing the value of learning to use the technology and slowly building up a list of commands he can use to do things for himself wherever he is in his room, without having to press his call bell and wait for a nurse to be free to assist him.

So please do exscuse me for being offended and annoyed by your presumptive attitude towards smart technology and those who happen to find it a valuable addition to their lives. It might not be relevant to you, it might not be anything more than a bit of fun for fit and healthy people, or simply making their lives that little bit simpler, but there is a whole world of people out there and for some of us smart technology is a lifeline that is transforming our lives and giving us new found independance and control. Sometimes it pays to think outside of your own privalidged circle.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disappointed
    Disappointed. What is the purpose as far as the game is concerned? I don't get it. Don't want Alexa, don't even want that other thing to turn my lights on and off,or turns on my TV etc. ..I'm not that lazy yet. A body in motion stays in motion.

I wish someone would get a passion about adding slow dancing, Sims facing each other while dancing, and a passion for gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disappointed
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > @Inna Minnit
    >
    > Those devices are also what I see for the lazy. For news, I actually read the newspaper online or listen to my local talk radio station so there is no need for a special device. For music, I just downloaded at my personal CD to my computer and then transferred them to my phone. I actually have to go in and click on them to play. The only other device I own besides a computer and phone is a Kindle that is strictly used to read books.

wel hurrah for you.

Im sorry but i find your attitude and judgemental comments really distasteful. All smart technology users must be lazy. Right.

Well, i happen to use smart technology to the fullest of its potential that i am able to, to assisst me with my daily life because i have complex health conditions and several disabilities. Whilst i dont use any amazon alexa devices, because i chose to go down the more open platform of google assisstant, i do use smart tech to help make my life easier. To control media devices yes whilst can save me tiring and painful short trips back and forth around a room, but more also to control my lights, medical equipment and security around my home.

I even use my own cctv camera to watch and speak to my cat when i am in hospital or having respite in a care home, and way more importantly i use extensive technology to manage my medical conditions, medical data, records, complex reminders for medications, weight management, observations, and organising my care shifts and appointment diary in a way that several people can share the same diary and edit is simultainously across a wide range of devices so that my diary is always up to date and flexible. My Drs think this is fantastic. i hand write notes at each appointment on my phone which autosaves the notes, they use my apps to review my readings at check ups and acute consultations, they can view my sleep apnoea data, my sleeping patterns, my blood sugar readings and insulin intake, my exercise levels and heart rate and i even have a device that records my heart rate and oxygen levels whilst i sleep/am accutely unwell which can either produce professional medical grade reports (the same kit the hospital use) or i can use it as a warning device for when i need to be calling an ambulance and go in to hospital. I can even email over compliance reports for my medication reminders which include records of how much breakthrough pain releif i have required over the month which has allowed the NHS funding teams to use it as supportive evidence for my level of medical need and also to agree to fund remedial massage as an alternative pain releif treatment because the pain data showed a significant drop in medication useage each time i had a massage. Now when i enter the consultation room my drs are asking for my phone to look over my data, because they dont see smart technology as a bit of fun, or as a lazy person's toy. They see that it has the potential to produce relevant information for them to use in diagnostics and condition management, and they also understand that smart technology is improving my independence. To the point that my local authority social service department has started to supply some disabled residents with smart home devices, like Alexa, to control electronics around the home in place of traditional home help care services because for some people (not all) this is far more adaptive and enabling than set care visits.

My Dad recently suffered a stroke at the age of 63. a catastrauphic stroke that has left him with a significant brain injury and paralysed down one side. I am now beginning to build a smart home system for his bedroom in the care home he has been moved to, so that he is able to control simple things like the tv, radio, lights etc for himself because at the moment he is completely unable to do these things without the help of another person and is getting increasingly frustrated. I also hope to teach him to use the technology to help him work out the day/time of day because he is terribly confused about that, and i want to hook him up with the cat cctv because he misses those animals to the point of regularly being in tears. He struggles to even dial a phone independently because of his brain injury, so when i am able to enable voice activated calling or video calls the next time i visit i know this will be a game changer for him and my mum who misses talking to him. He is a complete technophobe, but he is very much seeing the value of learning to use the technology and slowly building up a list of commands he can use to do things for himself wherever he is in his room, without having to press his call bell and wait for a nurse to be free to assist him.

So please do exscuse me for being offended and annoyed by your presumptive attitude towards smart technology and those who happen to find it a valuable addition to their lives. It might not be relevant to you, it might not be anything more than a bit of fun for fit and healthy people, or simply making their lives that little bit simpler, but there is a whole world of people out there and for some of us smart technology is a lifeline that is transforming our lives and giving us new found independance and control. Sometimes it pays to think outside of your own privalidged circle.

You are assuming most diabled use these things to help them..no, a lot of lazy people use these things (too) because they are lazy. Movement for those who are still able to move is important. I would not use these things because I would become lazier.>Neuropathy, need to stay in motion, no easy outs for some of us.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    Indifferent
    Cinebar wrote: »

You are assuming most diabled use these things to help them..no, a lot of lazy people use these things (too) because they are lazy. Movement for those who are still able to move is important. I would not use these things because I would become lazier.>Neuropathy, need to stay in motion, no easy outs for some of us.

How judgmental. Just like @NorthDakotaGamer . You know nothing about the type of person who uses home assistants. SMH.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Indifferent
    Did they do a survey to see how many players had this alexa thing?

It came out of nowhere I feel but then again I'm not into this stuff. For me that baby ariel was random too.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    Indifferent
    @simgirl1010

Not judgemental, it is just the impression given off, even within the ads for those types of devices.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Disappointed
    What is Alexa ? I never heard of it.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Indifferent
    I'm thinking of getting one as I said earlier for music (not for Sims music but I'd get that too because I can). My reason for using a device like that? I want to be able to turn it on and off while kneading bread or doing cooking activities. Constant handwashing irritates my skin terribly so I have to measure all my steps in the kitchen especially to remain active. I even bring in others to help so I'm not interrupted to grab something I don't want to touch because I'd have to wash and dry my hands yet again between other steps. Being able to tell a device to change what I want to see or hear, lower the volume ect would actually keep me more active and entertained. Not to mention turn on a light if that is fading ect.
    Making sweeping generalizations about laziness seriously?
    egTcBMc.png
  • CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    Indifferent
    @SimmerSam Wait how would is that even gonna work?
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I still don’t completely understand the point of those devices in the first place!? I guess it’s a side effect of getting old.. anyway I’m sure someone will enjoy it.

It's for lazy people who don't want to go through the work of unlocking their phone or turn on their computer and put some music on youtube, simple.

Someday we will all have an app that opens our eyelids for us.

For lazy people? What an odd thing to say.

I do have an echo dot. I got it free with my Sirius XM subscription. As you may or may not know, Sirius usually requires a specific radio (for most people in their car) to access. I got the upgrade to listen on my devices as my Christmas present to me. It came with a free echo dot.

It is not "lazy" to use it to listen to music or get updates on news as you are doing other things.

I don't understand how the sims will interact, but i haven't seen the announcement video. To answer the OP, I can't imagine using either Alexa or The Sims together.

I concur - my Echo Dot actually helps me be less lazy, because I am more motivated to do chores when I'm listening to music, which is its primary purpose. I also use it to make shopping lists very easily.

I love that I can ask Alexa to play a specific music genre, or even a specific song, without having to deal with Bluetooth, and/or the clutter of YouTube and its ads, etc. I got one because my Bluetooth speaker died, and it does everything my old Bluetooth speaker did and so much more.

As far as how I feel about Sims coming to Alexa, I wouldn't say "excited" but it's cool. I guess a notch above indifference.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Excited
    Dianesims wrote: »
    What is Alexa ? I never heard of it.

The assistant used in Amazon's Echo devices and the Amazon app.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    I had to look this up on SimsVIP for details. My whole family got Alexas a few Christmas ago during a huge sale. This is a strange feature I probably won't use or at least one curious poke. Someone out there will probably enjoy it so at least it's not a total waste of time. I guess. :/
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SimmerSamSimmerSam Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disappointed
    @SimmerSam Wait how would is that even gonna work?
    @CheetahAlyssa I don’t have an Alexa personally so I don’t fully under how it works, but the general idea is that you will be able to listen to music from all 4 sims games on the Alexa, as well as play a Sims trivia game. It isn’t actually the Sims in the sense that you play the game, just trivia and music