Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about The Sims coming to Alexa? Was this an exciting announcement for you?

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Indifferent
    I don't have Alexa, the Echo Dot or Siri and I turned off Cortana on my desktop, so it's not something I'll use. But, I'm sure there are others that will have fun with it, so I don't have a problem with it. *shrugs*
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Indifferent
    It's a 'neato' for me. Doesn't really affect me much as I don't have an Alexa or smart speaker, nor a place that could really take advantage of it. For those that really like their Sim music though, it should be nice, and I can see some potential quiz shows made out of the multiplayer trivia.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    aricarai wrote: »
    FYI and wonder if this will change people's answers:

Nope, didn't change my mind.

ETA:
    Just to add one thing I do care about is that we aren't playing a free to play game and it feels like they are sponsoring things and people, like that girl I never heard of and now this video that sorta feels like a comercial. It just isn't something other games I play have happening in them.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Indifferent
    Just want to note that "excited" sits at 8% right now. Not bad considering 11% of Americans apparently own an Alexa device. (Might be a bit higher as that was as of a year ago.) FWIW, if I did have one I'd probably only use it to check the weather and change the music, but if half or more of Simmers owning one are into Sims-related use, that's a decent number.

8% based on 4 votes compared to 11% of a population in the millions. Not bad? I’m not sure how you got to that conclusion.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    LMAO, no.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Excited
    Since I can download the app on muy device, I can use that app. I am not using anything in that except to listening to the Sims 4 Soundtrack
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Indifferent
    It's neat? Question mark? I have Google Home instead of Alexa. But if I had an Alexa, I probably wouldn't bother with the app either. But still, more options for more people.

I wonder if this will end up like Lin-Z, and the Alexas will prevent people from traveling or saving their lives.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimmerSamSimmerSam Posts: 73 Member
    Disappointed
    Are they trying to sell copies of The Sims 4 or Alexa enabled devices......? Either way this has nothing to do with the game. Not sure why they needed to live stream it as if it’s something important.

It isn’t technically the game, it’s just trivia and sims music that you can now access with Alexa

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Indifferent
    SimmerSam wrote: »
    Are they trying to sell copies of The Sims 4 or Alexa enabled devices......? Either way this has nothing to do with the game. Not sure why they needed to live stream it as if it’s something important.

It isn’t technically the game, it’s just trivia and sims music that you can now access with Alexa

I know :smile:

I was being a little sarcastic with what they are pushing. To get any use out of what they were showing off you need a smart speaker, and not TS4. Realistically they should be plugging Sims 4 on these streams not A.I. smart speakers.
    Disappointed

[/quote]

I know :smile:

I was being a little sarcastic with what they are pushing. To get any use out of what they were showing off you need a smart speaker, and not TS4. Realistically they should be plugging Sims 4 on these streams not A.I. smart speakers. [/quote]

Sorry, I’m not the best at picking up on sarcasm! Haha. I appreciate all the work the team does to release content for us, but this did feel a bit like youtubers doing a paid promotion. Oh well, I’m sure there’s great stuff to come!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    Pretty indifferent with it. I do have an echo dot and use it (not as much as my mom as it's far more useful to her), but can't say I see myself using for the sims really. Maybe there's some that might get some use and entertainment out of it, but I neither love it no hate it. Like the sandwich I ate earlier didn't love it didn't hate it, but hey it was food.

I do like Sims music though and that's about it.

Got my uncle a echo dot recently and he just loves playing witht he thing if he was into the sims he probably would like it.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited January 2019
    Excited
    I might try the trivia since I do have (but barely use) my Echo Dot.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Indifferent
    I don't care at all. Not in the least. It was a side project, so good on them and I hope they had fun. I'd be upset if it was a main project, just because a) I personally don't see the point and b) I don't, and will never, own a smart speaker. I listen to sims music if I want to on Spotify, but even then not often...and look, I love the Sims, and if trivia is your jam, nice. Good on you, and I hope you have the best experience. But I cannot personally think of more boring way for me to spend my time than playing sims trivia with a robot...
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Not to stray too far off topic or bring up negativity, but Kates tweets about the stream were intense. Were people truly that upset about a passion project? I caught a bit of the playback of the stream but not the whole thing, and didn’t watch the chat. Was the chat truly that awful? I just don’t get it.
    Disappointed
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    Not to stray too far off topic or bring up negativity, but Kates tweets about the stream were intense. Were people truly that upset about a passion project? I caught a bit of the playback of the stream but not the whole thing, and didn’t watch the chat. Was the chat truly that awful? I just don’t get it.

I wasn’t looking at the chat so I’m not sure how bad it was on there. I haven’t seen anyone on here or twitter being overly rude or hostile about it though, mostly just people saying it isn’t for them. I’m sure as always there were probably people annoyed that it was a pack.
    I think Kate was speaking not only about the Alexa thing, but just in general. Some people do get pretty intense if the thing they want isn’t announced.
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Indifferent
    I don't have or will ever have one so it's not something I'll be using but I like that they're doing it. It's a shame they are getting a load of stick for it.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Indifferent
    It's just another little amusement, so it's no problem for me. I don't have an Alexis so it's fine for those who want to use the feature on theirs.

This.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent
    simmer_jay wrote: »

I hope not. It is really such a little thing that only affects people that want to use it. Those that aren't interested like myself wont, in any way, be affected by it. There are those that do like to create drama out of a little thing though.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Indifferent
    Exactly what you are saying, @ladybreid It's not impacting people's game at all and it was something someone worked on when they could--this made them happy, and it's making people who want to use it happy.

From what I understand from some other responses I've seen, some people aren't necessarily unhappy about this event so much as the way it was presented. Allegedly it felt a lot like an unannounced sponsorship and plug for Alexa, but I wouldn't know. I didn't watch the video (too long, not really my thing. I'll hear about it on here anyway). But that's what some commenters under the video on the forum seemed to feel was happening. That they wasted time by watching a video that was ultimately of no benefit to them because it isn't something they'll use.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Indifferent
    I also don't have an Alexa. I play offline most of the time and Cortana was the first thing I shut off. So this doesn't affect me at all. Did they include the music from S1? That would be kinda neat. But yeah don't really care.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    Indifferent
    I actually have Alexa and I barely talk to her now, lol. For me Alexa is for when my scatterbrained self can't remember what day it is. I'm not going to sit there and play a trivia game with it.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Disappointed
    I don't really see the point of it. Took up an entire MM slot for... mostly nothing.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Disappointed
    > @JACKIEJOY said:
    > Did they include the music from S1? That would be kinda neat.

I'd be more inclined to like it if S1 music was there - I love the build/buy mode tracks (and the entirely to Superstar).
  • tasmabeltasmabel Posts: 207 Member
    Disappointed
    To clarify my vote, I'm disappointed that there was an entire live stream dedicated to an Alexa commercial. I really hope Jeff pays them well for it so they can make actual content and not...whatever this is. I suppose they had nothing else to talk about, so they talked about this. It's just incredibly disappointing that there was any hype at all ever about a trivia game/music. It did not deserve a live stream. It just served to disappoint me when I watched the stream. Like, oh, an ad for Alexa. That's definitely not something that needs to be streamed.

And before I get attacked, I've been investing in this series since the first sims game, so I'd like to think my opinion is a valuable part of the community. If they would just make MORE CONTENT, I would be throwing wads of money at them. I think I almost miss the store at this point lol! At least there was consistent, albeit heavily overpriced, content. And lots of gameplay content too.
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Indifferent
    I don't have Alexa.

I have Lin-Z though, and she plays Sims music, too.