Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

January Maxis Monthly (The Sims Now On Alexa)!!!!!!

Comments

• Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    Of note, the Alexa doesn't impact Sims 4 development in any way:

Just because they say so doesn't mean its true. Remember Rachel Franklyn trying to tell us that 3 is more than 5?
    Either she has never heard about Sims 3 and just assumes that 3 traits were more than we could ever do, or she really tried to tell us that 3 is more than 5 and really thought we are that stupid.
    If it actually helps the Sims, great. If it doesn't, well...
    Sim Guru Kate insulting Simmers on Twitter for not being excited over this is not really the best thing to do. But knowing the tone some simmers can have (I've seen death threats because there were no Toddlers) it is understandable she answers in a similar tone.
    But in the end, it's just another dead month. 2018 had 2 in a row, and I expect them to become more common each year. So I ain't even mad at this point.
    Compared to how angry I would have been if they announced they are done with occults and won't do Witches, I am perfectly happy.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Armilus616 wrote: »

Just because they say so doesn't mean its true. Remember Rachel Franklyn trying to tell us that 3 is more than 5?
    Either she has never heard about Sims 3 and just assumes that 3 traits were more than we could ever do, or she really tried to tell us that 3 is more than 5 and really thought we are that stupid.
    Sim Guru Kate insulting Simmers on Twitter for not being excited over this is not really the best thing to do. But knowing the tone some simmers can have (I've seen death threats because there were no Toddlers) it is understandable she answers in a similar tone.
    But in the end, it's just another dead month. 2018 had 2 in a row, and I expect them to become more common each year. So I ain't even mad at this point.
    Compared to how angry I would have been if they announced they are done with occults and won't do Witches, I am perfectly happy.

We may not have gotten anything new regarding the game anyway. People need to understand that Maxis Monthly won't always cover the game.
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member

We may not have gotten anything new regarding the game anyway. People need to understand that Maxis Monthly won't always cover the game.

SimGuruKate has not yet proven to me that she is any better than SimGuruRachel was. Willing to give her a chance, and there is still a chance she is talking the truth here. Not betting on it, though.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited January 2019
    Good grief. Seems like the developers are more productive on their down time, which they seem to have plenty of to produce these “passion projects” lately. LOL EA, pay your developers and make more interesting content.

On a heavier note; I personally don’t care for the sense of entitlement I get from the CM’s tweets. Girl, a guru doing something in their own free time does not obligate customers to be appreciative, or grateful, or literally any kind of way.. at all. Dangling the carrot “not getting this doesn’t mean you’d get anything else..” is manipulative and frankly something that she didn’t need to shove down her followers throats. Was not a fan of the last CM, and this one seems to go just as far out of her way to manipulate the community.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I don't get it. People want more transparency and communication, don't they? Not only major announcements? Maxis Monthly was never put out as an announcement feature. It's a communication feature, and there's always more to talk about and share than major pack/feature announcements. Plus it's been a very long time since Sims was only about the PC game.
    What transparency are we exactly getting? all I see is a bunch of streams talking about nothing they have already said packs wont be announced on Maxis monthly its basically pointless.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    edited January 2019
    I don't get it. People want more transparency and communication, don't they? Not only major announcements? Maxis Monthly was never put out as an announcement feature. It's a communication feature, and there's always more to talk about and share than major pack/feature announcements. Plus it's been a very long time since Sims was only about the PC game.

How exactly is live streaming a passion project that is directly unrelated to any of the games being more transparent?? Additionally, has it ever dawned on you that *maybe* the communication people ask for isn’t just generic communication about literally anything? You act like people need to be impressed by the nonsense that is Maxis’ current communication strategy. It amounts to a whole lot of non-information, or worthless information, which clearly doesn’t interest a lot of people. Just because you are cool with it doesn’t mean other people have to be, but as you said already - you don’t get it.
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

SimGuruKate has not yet proven to me that she is any better than SimGuruRachel was. Willing to give her a chance, and there is still a chance she is talking the truth here. Not betting on it, though.

Racheal wasn't a community manager SimGuruDrake was.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited January 2019
    >Gurus: "We had to sacrifice dog houses, snow depth, hail, etc...to focus on oher stuff. You see, time & money is very crucial and we have to prioritize features over the others"

>Also the Gurus: "Alexa, play trivia"

Don't bring up the "it doesn't take much time" excuse because dog houses and other basic features don't take much time either when you have experienced staff who have been trained for lots of times yet here we are...Sacrificing gameplay for Alexa :)
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

X Doubt.

You can never say "it didn't take time from any pack or update". It does & it did. She is just trying to say it to calm everyone down.

SUPPOSEDLY, it didn't take any time away from that, they could've invested that time IN the packs.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Ez debunk for the "It didn't take away any resources" statement being thrown around.

If it truly was a sidejob and was just done for fun, why is there no proper patch this month? I'll wait.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Ez debunk for the "It didn't take away any resources" statement being thrown around.

If it truly was a sidejob and was just done for fun, why is there no proper patch this month? I'll wait.

Because:

1. We got a patch last month
    2. Everyone just got back from the holidays
    3. It's only the 8th. We might still get a patch.
    edited January 2019

Because:

1. We got a patch last month
    2. Everyone just got back from the holidays
    3. It's only the 8th. We might still get a patch.

1. Patches are monthly (with a few exceptions) so that point is hugely irrelevant. Having a patch last month never meant we aren't due another in the next month.
    2. Patches aren't prepared a day or a week before, clearly they are worked on waaaay before. The holiday excuse doesn't fly.
    3. Do you even understand how Maxis Monthlies work?

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Reksoh wrote: »
    SUPPOSEDLY, it didn't take any time away from that, they could've invested that time IN the packs.
    lol they couldve invested the time into a lot of things. they could have spent it eating or hanging out at the bar, they could have spent it working out in the gym or taking care of their families. And if they chose any of those things we wouldnt even be here discussing it today.

Its free time. Since you support the game financially, you can complain about how they spend their work hours but you cant complain about what someone does on their own free time (well, you can, it would just make you look extremely entitled)

Kate already said that by "free time", it doesn't necessarily mean at home or whatever. Again, doubt it was free time due to the reasons I already stated above.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited January 2019
    I just feel like since it's not directly game/content related it could have been announced elsewhere especially since not all Sims 4 players have the device.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Sort of afraid to ask here because I don't want to get caught in the middle of something but...can someone fill me in? I'm not on Twitter and I don't watch Maxis Monthly. From what I've gathered, something is happening with Amazon's Alexa and Maxis. Is this irl or in-game?
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Sort of afraid to ask here because I don't want to get caught in the middle of something but...can someone fill me in? I'm not on Twitter and I don't watch Maxis Monthly. From what I've gathered, something is happening with Amazon's Alexa and Maxis. Is this irl or in-game?

Some Devs in their free time have been working on getting something done with Alexa. It's outside of the game and you can interact with Alexa on some fun things to do with The Sims like, trivia, playing music from all the sims games and some fun facts about The Sims.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    @simm621 oh, okay. Thanks for the info! I reallyyy didn't want to watch the video because it's long, haha.
    lol they couldve invested the time into a lot of things. they could have spent it eating or hanging out at the bar, they could have spent it working out in the gym or taking care of their families. And if they chose any of those things we wouldnt even be here discussing it today.

Its free time. Since you support the game financially, you can complain about how they spend their work hours but you cant complain about what someone does on their own free time (well, you can, it would just make you look extremely entitled)
    Unpopular opinion: just because something didn’t take resources away from regular development doesn’t mean it should be given a dedicated live stream like stuff that DOES utilize their development resources. Are we supposed to believe the stream isn’t built into their paid work day?? So yes, it did in a way take away from development but in no way that showing off an actual feature wouldn’t already do. Except this has no actual benefit to the game.

Yeah that 30 minutes once a month really adds up. By the time the year ends thats like the equivalent of one developer taking a whole sick day!

The snark wasn’t really necessary. I did start it out with unpopular opinion. A stream requires multiple people on and off screen doing different things. It’s a scheduled event not just some random 30 min stream. There is planning and probably some scripting that goes into them, do you think they just ad-lib everything? So when you break it down, yes the streams do take some back end work to even happen and for myself that time and effort could be better spent on game centered content and game centered streams compared to novelty passion projects that the majority of players won’t even use. Again, unpopular opinion but that’s my opinion.
  • SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    I’m just ready for new content. Still enjoying get famous but I’m craving something like a stuff/game pack
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Sorry, but some people are just so ungrateful. We have devs that are so passionate about the game, have some random idea they think we'll like and work beyond what they have been paid to do just to give us something different and all some people can do is complain.
    Free time is just that, it's something they are not paid to do and is done outside of their work expectancy.

Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member

Unpopular opinion: just because something didn’t take resources away from regular development doesn’t mean it should be given a dedicated live stream like stuff that DOES utilize their development resources. Are we supposed to believe the stream isn’t built into their paid work day?? So yes, it did in a way take away from development but in no way that showing off an actual feature wouldn’t already do. Except this has no actual benefit to the game.

Yeah that 30 minutes once a month really adds up. By the time the year ends thats like the equivalent of one developer taking a whole sick day!

The snark wasn’t really necessary. I did start it out with unpopular opinion. A stream requires multiple people on and off screen doing different things. It’s a scheduled event not just some random 30 min stream. There is planning and probably some scripting that goes into them, do you think they just ad-lib everything? So when you break it down, yes the streams do take some back end work to even happen and for myself that time and effort could be better spent on game centered content and game centered streams compared to novelty passion projects that the majority of players won’t even use. Again, unpopular opinion but that’s my opinion.

I see no reason to think they are scripted. Half the time the developers don't even know what to talk about next, Kate usually directs everything. She probably does most of the prep for it too which falls into her scope of work because she isnt a developer. I also see no reason to think it would require multiple people or any great deal of time to set these streams up. These are very basic streams. You're allowed to have an unpopular opinion lol but saying it over and over doesnt protect it from criticism
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top