We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
March 1st - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Sims 5] Going for Broke

2...Next

Comments

• aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It's insulting for that Guru person to imply that being 'lower class' automatically means your life is difficult. I grew up in a poor household - we just made do with less. Life certainly wasn't terrible or unpleasant - money was short but we had what we needed and bought luxuries when we could. That might be lower-middle class to some people though. I guess true poverty is a different picture.
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    edited March 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    It's insulting for that Guru person to imply that being 'lower class' automatically means your life is difficult. I grew up in a poor household - we just made do with less. Life certainly wasn't terrible or unpleasant - money was short but we had what we needed and bought luxuries when we could. That might be lower-middle class to some people though. I guess true poverty is a different picture.

I don't know where you live, but I live in a poor country, where public spaces aren't always beautiful and lush. It doesn't mean being lower class ALWAYS means having a difficult life or ugly houses. There are simple little houses in here too, for middle-to-lower class citizens (in terms of wealth, I mean). But there are also really poor 'hoods that don't have well cared for plants and bright public lights. It's great that where you live poor households actually fit in the subhoods of TS4, but in my case, they don't.

The problem is that the hoods in TS4 always look, to me, at least middle class. They are 1st world suburbs. I don't have freedom to create a very humble neighbourhood if I want, at least not how they look where I live. What I mean is that in the older games, I could, because they provided tools for that.

EDIT: was I called a guru person? Or was that for someone else? lol cause I'm far from being a guru
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yay! one year closer to TS5!!! lol I would like worn, dirty, soiled, ripped wall papers, tiles, siding, broken fences, shattered glass windows, ripped, worn seams of bedcovers, dirty, soiled rugs, Kitchen curtains whether new or old, etc. etc. And Someday (maybe in TS5) they won't stick players in a box again by not letting them change the neighborhoods like they have done to us in this game. Boring looking at the same backgrounds etc. I think building a game which allows players to do whatever they want with the terrain, roads, and surrounding backgrounds (while in game) is a good idea and shouldn't have been thrown out the window.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    GreenXen wrote: »
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    I would love some more variety in the game! I play rags-to-riches (unintentionally) as I want my Sims to work for the stuff I buy them. I don't cheat! If they can't afford their bills, they have to move! I don't have many ultra rich Sims or households. I like the idea of micro homes on small lots, but to make them look great, they end up costing a fortune. I would like some eco friendly alternatives, solar panels to reduse bills, cheap and sustainable materials to build prefabs that does not cost a fortune, environmentally friendly electronic devices and appliances, as well as furniture. I also not necessarely think that cheap and / or eco friendly equals low comfort / low energy!

I love the idea of microhomes, but sadly I often end up overbuilding. That tiny house thread was fun.

Thank you so much for the link! I have not seen this! I love building prefab-looking micro homes, but they end up costing way to much for my Sims:-/ It would be great if we got cheaper windows, wallpapers, wood panelig and concrete walls! I want low cost fab houses, as well as the option for smart interior solutions for small spaces! :)

+++++
    It would be great if or when we get a seasons EP that the cheaper windows and doors would give a drafty or cold mood for the sims.
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    > @Hermai said:
    > aaronjc123 wrote: »
    >
    > It's insulting for that Guru person to imply that being 'lower class' automatically means your life is difficult. I grew up in a poor household - we just made do with less. Life certainly wasn't terrible or unpleasant - money was short but we had what we needed and bought luxuries when we could. That might be lower-middle class to some people though. I guess true poverty is a different picture.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't know where you live, but I live in a poor country, where public spaces aren't always beautiful and lush. It doesn't mean being lower class ALWAYS means having a difficult life or ugly houses. There are simple little houses in here too, for middle-to-lower class citizens (in terms of wealth, I mean). But there are also really poor 'hoods that don't have well cared for plants and bright public lights. It's great that where you live poor households actually fit in the subhoods of TS4, but in my case, they don't.
    >
    > The problem is that the hoods in TS4 always look, to me, at least middle class. They are 1st world suburbs. I don't have freedom to create a very humble neighbourhood if I want, at least not how they look where I live. What I mean is that in the older games, I could, because they provided tools for that.
    >
    > EDIT: was I called a guru person? Or was that for someone else? lol cause I'm far from being a guru

Sorry - in the OP, they quoted one of the Sim Gurus who said the Sims series tries to avoid the difficulties of life, but not everyone who is poor is living a difficult life. There's more to it than money alone.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,594 Member
    greenXen wrote: »

[*] Some players are deviant and like to intentionally create dystopia and/or cause their Sims to suffer.

I know you wrote this some time ago but I'd like to post some clarification on what deviant really is. It's not all about torturing" your Sims. If you look at a definition

"different from what is considered to be normal or morally correct"

If you go on the assumption that most players do a boy meets girl, gets married, has kids and lives their life then there are a lot of deviant players.

So anyone who's done a 100 baby challenge, played a rags to riches, has done a gold digger, black widow, apocalypse or asylum challenge could be called a deviant player and these are the ones who sometimes have a difficult time in accomplishing their play styles with TS4.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I do find it rather weird that everything is so fancy. The low end stuff feels more like "upper middle class have to budget a little bit" problems. There's no sense of actual poverty or struggle, unless you force it.

Not that being in poverty for real is some kind of game. But for me, the distinct lack of it in this game creates the sense that we're collectively turning a blind eye to the existence of poverty. There's a point where too real is just depressing and there's a point where it feels like we're pretending certain aspects of reality don't exist.

Plus, I mean, people love dystopian stuff in fantasy.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I do find it rather weird that everything is so fancy. The low end stuff feels more like "upper middle class have to budget a little bit" problems. There's no sense of actual poverty or struggle, unless you force it.

Not that being in poverty for real is some kind of game. But for me, the distinct lack of it in this game creates the sense that we're collectively turning a blind eye to the existence of poverty. There's a point where too real is just depressing and there's a point where it feels like we're pretending certain aspects of reality don't exist.

Plus, I mean, people love dystopian stuff in fantasy.

Yeah, I want more of a challenge. Like the return of Robbers, and maybe this time around there can be 1-3 Robbers taking our stuff all in one night. :o
  • FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was actually thinking about this recently. An idea came to my mind that if sim cannot pay their rent or if the player chooses not to start in a lot, the game could start (or continue) in something like a homeless shelter. It could work simmilarly to hotels in Sims 2 vacations, where you had one little room. From there, you could find a job and once you reach a certain ammount of money, you can leave it and buy yourself a home. If your sim does not find a job, they would find it for you. Of course, it would have dinning halls and so on.
    It would be nice thing to have- more storytelling possibilites.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,745 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was actually thinking about this recently. An idea came to my mind that if sim cannot pay their rent or if the player chooses not to start in a lot, the game could start (or continue) in something like a homeless shelter. It could work simmilarly to hotels in Sims 2 vacations, where you had one little room. From there, you could find a job and once you reach a certain ammount of money, you can leave it and buy yourself a home. If your sim does not find a job, they would find it for you. Of course, it would have dinning halls and so on.
    It would be nice thing to have- more storytelling possibilites.

and here's a way to expand on it-as an employed/richer sim (or their descendants) can go back to the homeless shelter and help at either a)soup kitchen there, or b)job coach. I always thought that as part of a University EP, that it should include a "Work" program-sorry its hard for me to explain what I want to say
    6adMCGP.gif
  • kitangel1kitangel1 Posts: 200 Member
    I think it would be nice to have some grungy items and such as well. But I'd rather not wait until the Sims5 to see it. It would be nice if they could incorporate a world or two that had that kind of feel. I keep hoping they'll sell new, different kinds of worlds for the game. I'd definitely buy them like I did for Sims3.
  • greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited March 2016
    kitangel1 wrote: »
    I think it would be nice to have some grungy items and such as well. But I'd rather not wait until the Sims5 to see it. It would be nice if they could incorporate a world or two that had that kind of feel. I keep hoping they'll sell new, different kinds of worlds for the game. I'd definitely buy them like I did for Sims3.

Heh. I was trying to figure out a stuff or game pack for Sims 4 where grunge might fit in and not seem like a step backwards for many. I thought a Rock 'n' Roll pack might do it -- ripped clothes, takeout, ability to smash guitars and furniture and sleep on furniture, tattoos, graffiti, messy hairstyles, beat up furniture, etc. might all fit in.

Edit: Added a Rock 'n' Roll suggestion thread here.
    Post edited by greenXen on
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    kitangel1 wrote: »

Heh. I was trying to figure out a stuff or game pack for Sims 4 where grunge might fit in and not seem like a step backwards for many. I thought a Rock 'n' Roll pack might do it -- ripped clothes, takeout, ability to smash guitars and furniture and sleep on furniture, tattoos, graffiti, messy hair styles, beat up furniture, etc. might all fit in.

Oh gawd, this...please this if there is a simgod out there...please give me this.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 182 Member

I wish Sims 5 would has more dirty, used, a little destroyed furniture - with some good textures.
    Sims 4 looks so steril that it almost makes me vomit. Things that are most painful for me in sims 4:

- furniture looks plastic, it's too shiny, textures seems flat and too simply.
    - buildings are huge, floors two/three sim's heigh sized. In real life keeping these houses warm inside would be imposible.
    - all flora - grass, flowers, trees looks fake, too colorfull
    - game is so easy, that is no challangy at all. In sims 1 and sims 2 surviving was difficult, in sims 3 it was already too easy. In sims 4 earning is so easy that game become completly dull. That's the reason why challanges become so popular in sims 4, standard gameplay is no satisfaing like in previous sims games.

If you compare Bridgeport with San Myshuno you will notice that this second has unreal clean pavements and roads, for a city this size. What I liked in Bridgeport, is that it seems real - gray, polluted water; dark dirty alleys with some garbages; dusty building's elevations; etc.

So, yeah. It would be cool if Sims 5 would be more dirty. If Ea is too lazy to create realistic graphic, and gonna give another cartoon styled game, they could at least make something similiar to Wolf Among Us comics-like graphic. Even if towns looking like this would be very small, I would be satisfied.
    fpo1wzrvttih.jpg

And I don't understand that idea of becoming super rich in game, live in huge expensive house, having expensive cars, become famous, etc. Some people don't want these things in real life, neither in game. My sims house is usually small cottage in woods or small modern house at the beach, not villa with 8 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms. And there we get another sims game with EP become-famous-and-rich-themed, like it was't enough in previous sims games...

And sorry for writing in 2 years old thread. It's still actual tho.
  • Reallysoawkward23Reallysoawkward23 Posts: 175 Member
    Part of this for me would also be lower status/lower paying jobs instead of sims all being astronauts, super spies, etc. There should be “dead end” jobs for sims.
  • NovuNovu Posts: 21 Member
    We shouldn't have to wait for Sims 5 for this kind of thing. The modding community could easily make dirty furniture and dilapidated building materials with simple re-skins. What would be more tricky is a whole neighborhood that run down with cracked roads and weeds everywhere as that would require an official expansion. I would really like to be able to make a trailer park.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,594 Member
    Not long after TS4 released there was a poll taken for EPs and GPs. One suggestion was rebuilding after an Apocalypse. I guess it didn't get much support.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright