Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regarding the new culling system and family tree

Last year, in the november patch (may have been the october patch instead though) the new culling system was implemented and the way I understand it would preserve the family tree even though Sims would be culled. BOTH alive and dead (ghosts). Now, I removed No Culling mod by Neia (love her mods btw) and I have been quite satisfied with the ingame culling system.

But now, I want to release a few deads to the netherlands (or nether regions) which means they will eventually be deleted from the game. I don't mind that. But have you guys have any problems with the family trees being pruned as well or do they stay intact after culling?

Comments

• afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    I have some sims on my main family's family tree that I know have been culled from the game and they do still show up on the tree - however, I am unsure if they were culled before or after the patch. Also, I never really released them to the netherworld as they died offscreen without tombstones, so they were probably prime targets for culling. They are still on the family tree though.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    yeah, i lose a lot to culling due to lack of tombstones. Um, it kinda looks like blank spots in the family tree, at least I think that's what those are, lol.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Thanks @afai1261 , that is encouraging. @FanPhoria did those blank spots appear after the nov patch or were they there before?
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited April 2018
    I have to use McCommand Center to maintain my family trees. If I don't the game culls all the dead sims and there are blank spots everywhere, even if I make a sim 'strengthen their connection to the physical world'.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
    I think they were there before too @Stina1701A --it's always been basically impossible to track more than 2, maybe 3 gens with the family tree. Now it's maybe more tho? Cause I think they get culled faster if you don't "strengthen their connection," which again, can't do if I can't find their urn or whatever. Tho, like, even if I could probably wouldn't do that in most cases. Like, I don't really want all the ghost to hang around forever, I'd just like it if the game couldn't remember who they are, lol. Like, just basic info-name pic, stuff like that. Oh well.

@Nikoa, how do you use MCCC to maintain the family trees? Just by turning of culling, or...?

Also, has anyone else had a problem with the "culled" sims ending up back in household management, as weird single sim house with no name? I have, like...so many of those now, and it kinda makes household management a pain, since I like to keep an eye on my non-playable sims. I wish we could at least set them into a separate place, instead of them getting dumped into the "not in world" space.
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    I think they were there before too @Stina1701A --it's always been basically impossible to track more than 2, maybe 3 gens with the family tree. Now it's maybe more tho? Cause I think they get culled faster if you don't "strengthen their connection," which again, can't do if I can't find their urn or whatever. Tho, like, even if I could probably wouldn't do that in most cases. Like, I don't really want all the ghost to hang around forever, I'd just like it if the game couldn't remember who they are, lol. Like, just basic info-name pic, stuff like that. Oh well.

@Nikoa, how do you use MCCC to maintain the family trees? Just by turning of culling, or...?

Also, has anyone else had a problem with the "culled" sims ending up back in household management, as weird single sim house with no name? I have, like...so many of those now, and it kinda makes household management a pain, since I like to keep an eye on my non-playable sims. I wish we could at least set them into a separate place, instead of them getting dumped into the "not in world" space.

There is an option in MC Command center to keep the gaming from deleting/culling ghosts. That's my main problem, if I don't use that option my sim's dead parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc either get deleted or their relationships with my living sims get severed, which leads to blank portraits on my sim's family trees.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Yeah, but I actually want the ghosts to be culled and deleted but keep them in the family tree. Isn't that what the changes were supposed to be last november? To be able to loose ghosts but keep the family tree intact?
    edited April 2018
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Yeah, but I actually want the ghosts to be culled and deleted but keep them in the family tree. Isn't that what the changes were supposed to be last november? To be able to loose ghosts but keep the family tree intact?

For me personally they still don't stay intact without mods.

yeah, I agree :-( I'd like to turn off culling to keep the trees intact, but that would slow down my game waaaaay too much.
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    Nikoa wrote: »

For me personally they still don't stay intact without mods.

This is so dumb! You'd think after a whole year of the game, EA would have set it so that the Sims stay in the family tree after they've died... What's the point of the family tree otherwise!? They kept them in Sims 3 so why not in 4 too?

I have an Elder sim - now I'm wondering what's going to happen when she dies :# Will she stay in the tree or not!? And where do I even put the grave when she dies :#
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2018
    I use MC Command Center to choose the specific sims that I don't want to cull away... That way they won't disappear from the family tree.
  • pdentpdent Posts: 15 Member
    @PeculiarPlumbob this is an old thread but how do you choose specific sims to not cull after they're dead?
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    my most recent legacy family seem to have all of their family trees intact i think. but, but game is also doing a really crummy job of culling the ghosts so they are probably just still around somewhere