Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy "LONG" lifespan?

Just asking to the players who have set their sims lifespan to "long" since I have always been playing as "Normal" lifespan for a while and somehow I find the game rushed due to my sims not being able to achieved the goals until the day they passed away.

They have always been invited to social events such as birthdays or dance parties but I never had the time to do it due to me wanting them to build skills as their priority.

If I set my lifespan to long, will it be enjoyable? or will it be boring due to be stuck with the same sims?

Comments

• MakoSimsMakoSims Posts: 284 Member
    I think it depends on how you play. I usually do legacy style stuff so I have lifespan set on normal, but when Get Famous came out I set that saves lifespan to long so I could take my time exploring all the different aspects of the game without my sims getting old.
    Origin ID: sakura-drops
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    I feel normal lifespan is too short to really let sims enjoy themselves along the way, but also find Long to be way too long. I play games through multiple generations and on long a single generation is long enough to do way more than I really want to accomplish with any individual sims.

I use MCCC to customize the lifestage lengths to just shy of 2x the normal lifespans. This is still half of what long is by default and, for me, works perfectly for allowing me to let the sims out to enjoy themselves and not focus entirely on the daily grind and child-rearing without getting to where I'm completely bored with a generation before they pass on.

Even with the 2x, I do find I sometimes am aging up a sim a little earlier than when their birthday would be, but never by more than a few days so I haven't messed with my settings on this in quite a while.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Yes, I like to have them accomplish as much as possible, then have time to enjoy the rewards. But I admit it can get tedious at times.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Yes, I do enjoy that. Especially when I have a mod that allows all the cheats and can use this cheat to make elders die by old age:
    sims.age_up

I would like an easy cheat way to age sims up not the blocked way.
  • thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2019
    I use normal lifespan with MCCC to tweak the days some. I prefer normal lifespan bc it means if you want to be the best in a certain career or the best skills or in fame it means you have to sacrifice time from other hobbies or parts of life for them which is more realistic to me. Time managment is what the original sims was based on so I like it as it makes my sims lives and every minute of their lives feel more precious. It also keeps the game from being boring for me. I imagine if I had a sim accomplish every single thing there is to do in the game, i’d be like “what now?” *waits for another expansion pack* hehe

If i want a longer lifespan i use the games rewards to extend their life kinda like you had to do in the sims 2 with the ole elixer of life:P
  • KellyWhovianKellyWhovian Posts: 177 Member
    Eh. I'm playing with it for the first time now and am not enjoying it so much, even with a baby challenge family. I get quite bored of my sims quickly so I enjoy having the kids age up quicker, as I'm a bit more attached to them :)
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simsnetwork.com%2Fsites%2Fsimsnetwork.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F2011%2F20111008-pets-anim-3.gif&f=1
    Origin ID: kellywhovian

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    yes and I also play with aging fully turn off
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I play with the long lifespan and 28-day seasons. Lots of time for just about anything you'd like to do. I do enjoy the more leisurely pace.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Yea I do. However sometimes it can be hard especially if you are not patient enough since it is very slow. I an doing a generation type game, the first generation was on normal lifespan since we haven't got seasons. But when we finally bought it and realized that a sim can only experience snow almost twice-thrice in their lifetime feels akward to me. Especially if a sim was born i spring, then he/she is not going to experience winterfest and new year as a toddler/child.
    While it is slow, I am having much more time to fulfill Aspirations and make the most out of my sims life, so it is definetly worth it.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    No I don't. It is way too long and I feel you can do everything you need to do before they age to Adult.

I just set it to normal now, and turn off aging for everyone (played and unplayed) till I am ready to turn it back on :D I don't want the main characters to age when mine don't. Gotta keep the clubbers from aging (love Marcus and Candy)!
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I play with the long lifespan and 28-day seasons. Lots of time for just about anything you'd like to do. I do enjoy the more leisurely pace.

I play this way as well. And because I rotate families, by the time I get bored with one family it's time to move on to the next family.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited January 2019
    Depends on the household and goals. Long lifetime definitely kills the challenge of the parenthood pack and child rearing in general.
    However I do enjoy long lifespans for young adults and over.
    PS.. They could definitely improve the game by allowing us to choose aging parameters on a per Sim basis.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @EgonVM thanks for that cheat code (never knew that) - it might be useful if I wanna play aging off and enjoying the sims's lives and tell them when their time is up!
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I play legacy with aging set on "long". I absolutely love it. There's no going back. I can't go back to normal because the game feels too rushed. Sometimes (rarely actually) I'll feel their lives are *too* long if I'm not super into that generation, but usually I have tons of random parties for fun, get togethers, vacations, skill building days, etc. I typically manage to fill up their lives very well.

I will say, if you play on "long" lifespan. The biggest "adjustment" is to have your sim keep friends as well. I think people who focus on "normal" are so rushed they just focus on their sims' lifelong partner and career only, but as someone who plays on "long" my sims have best friends, cousins, and exes that are usually thrown into the mix, too.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I only use long in my rotational save, as it gives me more time with each family so they usually manage to get more done. Otherwise I play on normal.
    image.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    yes and I also play with aging fully turn off
    Me too, I have life span on long, but I have had aging turned off since the beginning. I play rotationally and have many families., I have barely started aging up some babies, and still have many couple to get married. At least many of my sims have been able to advance pretty far in their careers. I still have several packs to really explore.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have a mod MC Command that lets me set the lifespan to any length I want, so I have a reply long setting, they gives me a chance to play rotationally and still get things done.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    I usually alternate from long lifespan to short life span? I alter my sim’s ages a lot because they usually grow old too quickly and sometimes it just takes a really long time. I turn off aging completely nowadays and age them up when I feel like it’s time for them to age.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    @EgonVM thanks for that cheat code (never knew that) - it might be useful if I wanna play aging off and enjoying the sims's lives and tell them when their time is up!

I do have to mention that this cheat works when aging is on, so if you want it to work, turn the aging on for a moment.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Normal is way too short and long is way too long. I like long lifespans for toddlers and kids (usually end up aging up the toddlers once their skills are up), after that... not so much. I mean, playing on long lifetime, by the time my first Sims were adults, they were already disgustingly rich.

Honestly, it's one of my main issues with the game. I don't want to use mods, but short lifespan is just way too rushed.

Maybe if the next pack is interesting, I'll get back into it and will start rotational play though... that might be more interesting (I'm just bored with the game right now).
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I use a custom aging as I find the default unrealistic but overall it's a semi long being 160+ days in total. Double the span of normal but half the time of long. Gives enough time to take my time and not rush my sims lives and actually have them make friends, go out, and have family moments but short enough I don't get bored because my sims have maxed their careers and skills or completed their aspirations.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2019
    I use long lifespan on occasion when I feel like my sims (of maaany different families) have reached all their goals I wanted them to reach before aging up. Other than that, I mostly disable aging completely. Any life span makes everything feel so rushed and stressful to me lol. So yes, I enjoy it in some way, but only after I completed everything I wanted to complete. Sometimes, I also just age up particular sims manually by birthday cake. To be honest, I'm not really fond of the length of many life stages anymore since toddlers came out. Due to the added childhood stage, parents often become elders before their kids are even young adults, which I find too unrealistic to be honest, thus I have to cheat pretty often to make them younger again (an additional adult life stage would come in handy here B) ).
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I sometimes wish the normal lifespan was a bit longer (for certain age brackets) but I find the long lifespan is just way too long so I stick to the normal lifespan. I know you can adjust age spans with MODS but I wish they had included a slider like in the Sims 3 with the original game.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I have played on long since the game launched because I feel it gives me more time to allow my sims to live. Achieve their goals, have kids, accomplish something in their careers etc...
  • ripentogetherripentogether Posts: 87 Member
    I have the same problem. Normal constantly feels too short, but I can't imagine playing long (except for when I play rotationally which isn't often). I'd also recommend adjusting a bit with MCCC. Right now I have it changed to add just a few days to what the normal lifespan is, for example 30 day young adult and adult stages, but I'm thinking of adding more days on to that.