Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Island Paradise worth installing?

I have all EPS installed, except IP.

I miss a lot of the features from it like the resorts, scuba diving, and mermaids, but just having it installed made my game lag horribly.I'd have an awful frame rate and crashed all the time---and this was before I knew about CC or mods! Islo Paradiso was never really used either.

I can definitely live without those features in my game considering I haven't had it on my hard drive for over 3 years, but hearing everyone's IP stories makes me want to try it again!

Should I take the risk and install it again? :s;) I'm looking for all types of opinions here!
April 8, 2015 is when I came out of that smelly old closet... 🚶‍♂️🚪

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I haven't had any issues you mention with the EP simply installed. I mean, it's never affected games in other worlds like that. I've heard IP can cause the game to create huge numbers of unnecessary resort workers which I guess can cause lag, but I had been using NRaas Register (which fixes that bug) long before I got IP and so never experienced it. The only version of Isla Paradiso I've ever used is the fixed up one by ciane, and that version plays as well as any other EP world I've played.

I guess it depends on your PC; perhaps it's just too much for your computer. You can always install, test out the EP a new game, and uninstall if you get the same performance issue. Don't incorporate IP content in your other saves and I think they should be fine if you decide to uninstall.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    There's some helpful advice in these threads regarding "fixing IP" so that it doesn't lag. It involves removing a few houses that have routing problems which is pretty much 90% of the lag problem or you can download @ciane's fix.
    https://forums.thesims.com/EN_US/discussion/938269/island-paradise-lagging-help-please/p2
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2019
    IP Minus world = Mega Huge Stuff Pack,all the things from expansion available to use in other world except

Scuba spots but you can put your own custom ones in certain worlds
    Custom island building can be done any world with water even a big lake
    boating windsurfing etc can be done in SV and X,X worlds With decent water area
    resorts can be any world so this feature is always there
    Mermaids can be any town

By having IP installed you do not get the bad part ill effects of the poorly made world by not using the world but do get its premium content.clothing,build and buy objects and others mentioned above.sunlit tides makes a great replacement other than not having premade scuba lots you will enjoy it all
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've never had any issues except for one with all of the game installed including all EP's and SP's.That one issue is having to play in windowed mode so I can see the time or I'd be playing for way too long because my heavily Modded game can be too much fun and I get caught up in it too often.I've got an overpowered laptop for this game and use programs to shut down all background tasks that might slow the computer down.I've not had any lag yet unless I played Mod-free to test a patch in the past or to test a new install and I've got a very fast game with tons of Mods and tons of CC installed which I though would make it laggy.It might be that the game runs so well mostly because I love playing empty worlds and building my towns from the gound up with rotational play just like the Sims 2 style where you also play the entire town instead of just one family.I've been using the NRaas Mods for years and that story progression does stop most of the lagging,freezing and Error 12's that you ofren get from the EA bugfest.It should be set to the slowest speed and I also tune it to run like the Sims 2 style of story progression.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I send my sims to vacation in IP all the time and for short visits it does well. For the vacations I don't even bother with the fixes that are out there. But, I do use mods and have overwatch and error trap installed which probably helps take care of some issues. Plus I don't have pets installed so don't have to worry about critters getting stuck. I love the stuff that comes with IP so if your puter can handle it I would so go for it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    Nope, it's crash central, I wouldn't recommend.
    IP never caused crashing for me? Stuttering and freezing yes but just when I play in the world. Even when my sim travels to a WA world in my IP save I notice a difference so that really comes down to routing issues when in that particular world.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I never had problems with the expansion, only Isla Paradiso itself (I fixed it up following the guides, maybe I forgot something). Even then it didn´t crash, it just lagged. It´s a really beautiful world.

But it is a big expansion, depending on the pc, it´s perhaps just the one that´s too much.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Since you're willing to use mods, I'd say get a collection of Nraas mods and go for it. If you find living in IPs world is too much trouble, having all the EPs installed will mean you meet the requirements for some fully updated user created worlds. Mayfield Springs, The Stone Shields and the recent version of Grey Meadows are some examples I can think of off the top of my head. Or live wherever you like, then use Nraas Traveler to visit Nilxis's Suvadiva Resort or something similar.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have all EPS installed, except IP.

I miss a lot of the features from it like the resorts, scuba diving, and mermaids, but just having it installed made my game lag horribly.I'd have an awful frame rate and crashed all the time---and this was before I knew about CC or mods! Islo Paradiso was never really used either.

I can definitely live without those features in my game considering I haven't had it on my hard drive for over 3 years, but hearing everyone's IP stories makes me want to try it again!

Should I take the risk and install it again? :s;) I'm looking for all types of opinions here!

There's no point installing something that you can't even enjoy to its fullest. No point overworking your computer which usually may cause it a shorter lifespan as well. Or so that's my opinion. But if you get a capable computer later that can handle it all...sure. I think IP is an amazing EP and adds a lot to gameplay plus Isla Paradiso is a beautiful world to explore.
    Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    Screenshot-1232.jpg

Edit: There does seem to be a few issues with some of the lots in Isla Paradiso and I read more often than not the world runs poorly. Though, I don't believe it is the world itself but there are some troublesome lots it seems. Otherwise, I suspect even with the fix it could still run badly if the computer is not capable in the first place since the EP does add a new method of routing/mode of transportation. And as far as I know, routing has always been the weakest element of all Sims games. Except TS4 because I don't even consider that a true sequel nor is routing its weakest element.

Back to the purpose of this edit.

Isla Paradiso's World Fix for lag/stutter/freezing.

I had the same problem and I solved it. All you ned to do is go to edit town and delete some houses. You need to delete houses of the households below:

Ichtaca
    Scott
    Los Amigos
    Medina

If it still lags, then remove those houses as well:

The Romantic
    The Prince

Just delete those houses and move sims living in them somewhere else. Or just delete the sims as well.

I hope this helped.

By BlueSpaarkle

After following that above I recorded this video some time ago.
    https://youtu.be/MZfGDCoFf2U

===

There is also a world fix you can download here: http://modthesims.info/d/514909/islaparadiso-world-with-fixes-applied-update-2013-11-29.html
    Personally, that did nothing to solve the lag, stutter or freezing. However, some has said it helped them.
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The only issue I am aware of that the EP can potentially cause on a system that can handle it in other homeworlds is related to boat routing. Some worlds like Riverview, there might be others, have waterways that are too narrow to handle boats properly and sims not being played can get stuck on boats in the water going around in circles or otherwise unable to dock. They can be reset out of that mess once the player notices, of course, and for those not averse to using mods the current version of NRaas GoHere has an option to disallow boat routing entirely for worlds where it just doesn't make any sense for it to be used.

Otherwise, although one of the heavier hitting ones on system resources, the EP is fine.

This is all assuming one is not playing an unfixed version of Isla Paradiso. Out of the box that world is very pretty but for most of us needs some help in making it be playable.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • 7Lee177Lee17 Posts: 5 New Member
    Island Paradise is truly a beautiful expansion pack but I can only play the Isla Paradiso town to a certain point until my game starts to lag out like crazy. The features are super fun and it's quite adventurous for your sims! I really enjoy those mermaid features.. I refuse to let the game lag stop me.
    edited January 2019
    Apart from the mods, the suggestions @Nikkei_Simmer gives are important as well by the way. Before starting to play in IP I’ve followed all the advices and though there is more stuttering than in other worlds, it’s perfectly playable for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    Just over 5 gb of CC, 90% or so of the store installed as packages.

I have a Gen 5 save in a fixed up IP world. It was a, “I just wanna play NAO” thing so I am only loosely attached to those Sims & don’t play it often. It stutters enough that I haven’t played in a while but not enough I’ve given up on it completely.

I also have a fixed-by-me, completely emptied version (except a garden and starter house I plop in when I want them) that I play all the time for my NiF challenges. Zero problems, even once the world has been “completed”. I use one of these “completed” worlds in many of my games as a vacation spot.

As pointed out, the EP isn’t the problem, with the exception of boat routing.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Honnestly if you delete the corrupt households you can run Isla Paradiso. I did it and it runs quite well despite a few bugs.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited January 2019
    I use the fixed version of the world by EllaCharmed. That version has the world routing fixed but not the houses. I recently bulldozed all the houses. I plan to keep that version for future games.

I find boat routing in World Adventure worlds to b e the most annoying for me. I don't use Go Here mod as I like to see the flower trails left by plant sims.

I do use Error Trap and Overwatch from NRAAS to fix other issues with the unfixed world bu t haven't noticed problems playing in other worlds.

I've made YouTube tutorials on building and decorating a dive lot. So I enjoy adding dive lots to other worlds.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Yes if you want some great new build and buy objects or want to experience a new alien life form. However the world in an unmodded state really doesn't work properly. I play vanilla and I have yet to have a successful game or even complete a build. It is such a pity because the world itself is absolutely gorgeous. If you have Sunlit Tides then that makes a good substitute, without houseboats and dive lots though :/
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have never used mermaids - yet. Neither have I played in Isla Paradiso. But I have it installed since it was released and I haven't noticed any problems with my game... Knowing that I have everything released by EA plus tons of CC and mods. Maybe I should sit back and cross my fingers! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I bought IP a couple of months ago but have not explored it's big features much yet. As already said, there are lots of small interesting and fun aspects with the EP (like all if them) besides the world so I have it installed of course. The one thing I find troublesome is how to keep the automatically generated townie mermaids alive, since they are in constant need of water. Sometimes it resolves itself by them becoming human as a result of lack of salt water, but they die very easily and quick from dehydration and when one is cured/dead a new one takes its place, even if playing in worlds with less water/ocean. And I have not found a way to limit the population of them, like the possibility to turn off vampires etc (in unmodded game). The only fixes so far that I have found is to place out lots of plumming, cure them from their affliction with alchemy potions, make everyone in the world friendly and good so they will save them if needed and of course make my sim knowledgeble of how to revive ghosts.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I wanted to play the Isla Paradiso town so much, but even on my new gaming laptop it crashes, I think if you want the pack for items that's a good idea, I still use items from it too. If you want it to play , I'm not sure how to get it to not freeze up and crash, the other towns I havent had an issue with myself, not on the new computer but that one still would not play for me. Good luck tho with your decision
  • SweetAndSaltySweetAndSalty Posts: 23 Member
    Honestly Isla Paradiso sucks terribly. It's a beautiful world but it. lags. so. much. :( Having the EP installed hasn't affected the gameplay at all but I just cannot stand Isla Paradiso, makes me wanna smash my laptop lol
    edited January 2019
    Honnestly if you delete the corrupt households you can run Isla Paradiso. I did it and it runs quite well despite a few bugs.
    It’s not advisable to delete households (if you mean the sims), because deleting sims apparently can cause corruption. You can move the sims to other houses, because it’s the houses that cause the problems. I’ve read that moving everyone out of the boathouses helps. I’ve adjusted the boathouses though (with the help of Ellacharmed) and my game’s still fine (I’m in many many simweeks). Though I still do the occasional resetsim *. The castle has some routing problems as well but they’re easy to fix and when you do, the family can stay there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited January 2019
    @JoAnne65
    I assume they mean going into edit mode, evicting househould and then deleting them.That's okay to do.
    Its when you ctrl alt delete sims via cheats that cause corruptions.

But the expansion itself is work installing, I just don't play the actual world.Its too buggy.
    edited January 2019
    Is that true...? I thought it didn't matter how, but that it's wiser not to remove premade families.

ETA: I figured googling igazor might be helpful and it was.
    --Evicting resident sims from within Edit Town is fine.

--Using a mod such as NRaas MasterController and its Total Annihilation function is also fine, although Overwatch and ErrorTrap are highly recommended to have as well to clean up any unnecessary residual sim related data on the next loadup.

--Deleting any kind of sim for any reason using testingcheatsenabled shift-click to delete is a big no-no. That function merely deletes a sim's body, but their data and history remain and can corrupt an ongoing game save.

But none of this, however it's done, would affect anything except that ongoing game in particular. The program installs and things like patches don't really care what's going on in your saved games.

So you're right, through Edit Town is fine, sorry, please proceed :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    I love Island Paradise. I know I got so excited once I had it. I can understand how the lag and it crashing (or worrying about it crashing) can put you off though. I love how it adds more to the game when you want to do something like go to the beach. Now you can build sand castles, play in the water, snorkel... A lot of fun. I don't know if it's really worth it if you know your game is going to crash or lag because of it.
    sup.

giphy.gif