Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the better category for Machinima on Youtube?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
I just noticed vids can be set to different categories. Mine were automatically set to "game". I now wonder if this is optimal for my machinima? Ok, some vids are a mix of drama and gaming tips, but still, you can watch them without knowing about the game. I'd like to replace "game" with "film" or "drama" etc for a few films, but would like to know how others think of those YT categories?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• vivetaviveta Posts: 13 New Member
    I agree a sims YouTube video is not only game video!! It’s like you create a whole story a whole film so I believe a YouTube machinima like mine on YouTube is more like a drama or a film
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I just changed category from "Game" to "Film and animation" for a couple of my vids. Excited to see if it affects traffic in any way.

There is no "Drama" or "Series" category, the other relevant one is "Entertainment", which I assume is much broader than films.
    viveta wrote: »
    I agree a sims YouTube video is not only game video!! It’s like you create a whole story a whole film so I believe a YouTube machinima like mine on YouTube is more like a drama or a film

What's your channel, @Viveta ?
  • SimGasmsSimGasms Posts: 115 Member
    did you get a bit more traffic?
    SimGasms wrote: »
    did you get a bit more traffic?

No, actually less. But I only tested on the 2 first episodes of my As Sims Go By series, both of them are already some weeks old. So it's hard to say if they would have gotten more views without the adjusting. I'll switch back to "Game" category now, to see if more people will wach.
  • NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    I think bc Sims is so popular and specific and film & animation is so broad (plus you've gotta compete with some amazing animators nowadays) it's kinda understandable you'd get less traffic. Thanks for sharing your experiment results here though, I wondered.
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • SimmerBoiSimmerBoi Posts: 134 Member
    Yeah, I think putting machinimas in the videogames category is the best thing. I checked and most famous machinima makers do this anyway, but I can't tell if it's better since I've just started my channel and I have very few views anyway, lol