Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Did YOU Discover The Sims Franchise?

FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
edited February 13 in Nominated Threads
I was reminiscing about the simpler days when I first discovered the sims. One of my school friends was talking about this amazing game where you could make people and their houses and watch them get married and have children and this seemed amazing to me. I wanted in. So, after a while I found out my sister had a copy of this game and it was called 'the sims 2' She let me borrow it and I installed it on my computer straight away. As the loading screen emerged I was transported into a mystical game where I could create people- it was like Barbie- but better!

I would love to know how you were first introduced to the sims franchise. Be sure to answer the poll below and then tell us more about how you discovered the sims :)
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

How Did YOU Discover The Sims Franchise?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a a family member
    My brothers had The Sims 1 when I was little, and I played it. Not a super interesting story in my case. :D
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    Through a friend
    My friend....who was my college roommate. :blush:

It was back in 2004. She brought her computer from home and was playing a very intriguing looking game so I asked her about it. It was the very first Sims. :)
    I played it for a few days and within a couple of weeks The Sims 2 came out and she bought it. I started playing it, recreated my real family, and have been hooked ever since. :mrgreen:

I will be forever thankful to her for introducing me to the awesomeness of Sims! The Sims 2 will always have a special place in my heart because of that. <3
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    Other
    I was a fan of Maxis long before the Sims was a thing and always bought any game that had their name on the box. Thus, I bought The Sims (1) the week it first hit store shelves, without having really a clue what it was all about.
    Glad I did.

SimCity predates the Sims by like.. 11 or 12 years, and was probably the first Maxis title to really hook me, and also probably the reason I bought everything else they ever did after that.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Through a friend
    I had previously played SimCity, so when I was visiting a friend while in the Army, and she was playing the original Sims, told me that it was by the makers of SimCity, but you control the people - I was hooked. Even got my then husband AND my daughter hooked. My ex and I actually would fight over time on my laptop as it was the only computer we had to play on!
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Other
    I played Sims City games and got my start with the Sims that way. I didn't play Sims 1 or 2 though, too busy with life. I played a version of Sims 3 on playstation and it was ok, but limited with what you could do so was not really impressed. Hubby got me Sims 3 and Supernatural in 2012 PC versions for my birthday and I was hooked.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    I played the original Sim City games and loved them, so when my mom saw an article about them making The Sims, she told me we could get it (I think I was in high school).
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a friend
    I had played some of the older Maxis games like SimCity, and was always off and on intrigued by them. So when my childhood friend's mom got him The Sims he practically gave it to me after he'd tried it out and figured it wasn't his thing (he was a military minded kid who was more attracted to FPS games at the time), and I became hooked. I picked up Livin' Large shortly after it came out, and then all the others as they were released - plus, who can forget those fun commercials for the expansions that showed on TV back then like the Makin' Magic one? - and I've been collecting and playing them ever since.

The Sims 4, in that vein, has been weird for me since most of the game packs aren't available as physical copies, but I'm on the slow road to collecting what I can of it.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I think my second cousin had a birthday party, or maybe her brother had one, anyway we were there and for some reason she played The Sims 1 with my sister, I guess I got to try it a bit too (I remember how we cleaned a water puddle after the sim had taken a shower, yay :'D). I don't remember so well what happened, but I think we were hooked and wanted to have the game. At least soon after we bought The Deluxe Edition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Through a friend
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited January 2019
    Other
    I was in Target in 2001, around December I guess it was, checking out the game section when I saw The Sims Hot Date. After reading the back of the box I knew it was the game for me. So my dad bought it, I took it home and started installing but couldn't because I didn't have the base game. So I went back to the store, got the base game, went home, installed both games and as the saying goes, the rest is history.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Through a friend
    My friend and I had gone to Circut City because my friend wanted a game for her Imac at the time. Well, she picked up the Sims1 and read the back of it. I also read it and thought it was not a very good game. Well we went back to her parents house and installed it on her Imac and we stayed up until 5:00 the next morning. Then I asked my parents if I could get the Sims1 and I did. My parents even bought me some of the expansion packs for my birthday. :)

Then Maxis announced Sims2 and we saw the trailer and of course genetics. That was where I fell in love with aliens and alien abductions. :) I have finished a regular 10 generation legacy and an alphabet legacy.

Sims 3 is my favorite because of the open world, cast, alien abductions, genetics.

Sims 4 I do own some of the expanison packs and stuff pack. But it doesn't hold my attention that long unlike the Sims3 and Sims2.
    :) Smile!

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a friend
    My friend has Sims 1 back in the day, and then 2, so when I'd go to her house we'd play. Eventually I got my own copy and I've been hooked since. 😅 But I'd still play all the time at her house, since it was a number of years before my computer could handle 2, which was a long-standing favorite of the time.
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Other
    I was maybe 11, and had just gotten my first cell phone. No touch screens back then, this one had a keypad and a much smaller screen. I was browsing through games I could download, and chanced upon The Sims 2 for mobile. I didn't think much of it at first, but I decided to give it a chance and ended up loving it!

Fast forward another 3-4 years. That phone had long since been replaced, but out of the blue I just remembered that game and how much fun I'd had with it. Dad agreed to let me have The Sims 3 for PC, and I haven't looked back ever since! :)
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    Other
    I'm an old here, in the early 90s in our technology classes, one of the activities they had us do was play the original Sim City.

Like this:

Simcity_1.png

Also, totes loved SIM FARM.

program200-3.png

So of course I loved Sims 1, but our family's lame desktop was so bad at playing it. Really got into CC for Sims 1. I remember Hot Date BLOWING MY MIND that we could go to a non-residential area.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    Through a friend
    @SarahTheRed :lol:

You and my husband. :)

I love nostalgia. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Other
    @SarahTheRed Wow, those screenshots bring back the memories! LOL, I didn't recall exactly what sim city or sim farm even looked like. Wow, how things have evolved over the years.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Through a friend
    A friend told me about sims 1 in high school. It sounded too good to be true. She stopped playing long ago. I still play today.

We were four sitting in front of the computer yelling commands for our simselves. Aww, good times...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • NyaIeroWayNyaIeroWay Posts: 76 Member
    Through the internet
    If i'm in totally being honest it was through the internet watching videos and whatnot and i wanted to know more about the game. Usually im the one to tell my friends about it.
    origin: saltystroodle
    sims 3 id: wolf101220
    [/center]
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Other

When my brother and I got our first console, we got the Sims Bustin' Out and one of the other ones. I'd heard of SimCity and played Sim Farm before but loved the Sims right away and have played them ever since. My brother used to have just the Sims 3 base game not long after it came out but then he lost the disc. Then in 2016, I got the base game and a few EP's for my birthday and I just added everything else that I didn't get. I now play both Sims 3, and occasionally Sims 4.
  • FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
    It's amazing hearing how everyone discovered the sims! It's something I've always wondered about. Thanks to everyone that has participated in the poll to far. Happy simming :)
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a friend
    @Brandontaylor
    Bustin' Out was actually one of the better early console adaptations for the Sims that I can recall! I especially loved the story modes for it, and bumming around to all the different people's homes so you could complete their stories, finish careers, and unlock all the items before moving into the Landgraab mansion was so much fun. Though, I encountered a glitch in that game, and was never quite able to reverse it - if a service Sim got eaten by the monster plant and died, they never stopped being a service Sim - their ghosts still came to work, but they gave you money instead of charging you for their services. Good times.

Another nod to (my personal favorite) console adaptation was the Urbz. It was pretty unconventional for a Sims game, but I LOVED the reputation and faction system in that game, as well as the more urban take on the previously suburban Sims.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a friend
    I was in an AOL chat group for adults with Spina Bifida and one of the moderators was talking about Hot Date. I got curious and ended up with the base game, Livin Large, House Party and Hot Date to catch up and have been hooked on the series since. I would love to update my friend on how hooked I am on the series, but I found out a couple years later she had passed away but she left me with a love for all Sim games.
  • rosecoloredsimrosecoloredsim Posts: 42 Member
    Through a friend
    A friend of my mom's daughter was really into The Sims 1 when that came out. I went to her house and played it and begged my mom for a copy. I only had the base game and Livin Large as a kid, I didn't play the rest of the expansions until last year when I finally got them all.

I didn't get super into the Sims until 2 came out, I was obsessed with Harry Potter and would make HP characters in University and had mods that replaced the majors with Hogwarts classes like Potions and Herbology. I also loved the console games like Castaway and Sims 2 Pets on Game Boy Advance/PlayStation Portable.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    Through a friend
    It was around 2002-2003 during the school holidays. I was in out of school hours care and one of my friends at the time brought the base game to install on the computer. I remember being obsessed with that game all day but all we actually did was build and decorate. I don't know if I'm remembering wrong but she made it seem like that was all you could do with it. I'm not sure of the order of things but I definitely got The Sims Deluxe Edition at Christmas 2003. I also had lots of Maxis games like SimCity 2000/3000/4/Societies, SimTown, SimAnt, SimTower, SimCopter, Streets of Simcity, SimHealth, SimIsle, SimPark, SimTunes and SimSafari. I remember SimTown, SimPark and SimSafari being my favourites. A few others in that list I was never able to play as they wouldn't work on my computer at the time. I also loved the original Sims game, Bustin' Out, The Urbz, TS2 and Castaway on PS2. As well as The Sims Life Stories that I played when my computer broke down near the end of TS2. I got TS3 on released date and have been playing it ever since. I found TS4 a disappointment so I'm happy to stick with TS3.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited January 2019
    Through a friend
    We were visiting another household of our local church, and the daughter, whom I was sort-of friends with, decided to show me The Sims 2!

I remember she made a household with us guests in it, with herself as the mom, and she built a house with a long corridor to a dance floor, and started a party and invited the vice principal to enroll the child sim in private school, and the whole time I was like.. there's a game where we can make people? Families? Build houses? Make them do stuff???? Oh my gosh this is an absolute sandbox, I need this so bad.

Of course, I was a little too young for the official age rating still, so in the meantime I was desperately looking for a way to play it for free online, but obviously I didn't exactly find any existing Sims flash game anywhere in 2009. And TS2 seemed like a lot to get into at the time.

And then The Sims 3 suddenly came out, there was a whole cardboard cut-out at Gamestop advertising it and everything, and I asked if I could get this game, my parents said yes, and.. yep. I can't believe it has almost been ten years now.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top