Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 - All careers + school/highschool should be ACTIVE (opinion)

This is what would help make the case for the fifth iteration of this franchise for me. No more rabbit holes/chance cards. If I choose to follow my sim to school that day I want to be there and I want new, unexpected stuff to happen there. Maybe a classmate picks a fight with them or another classmate embarrasses them in front of class. Maybe there's a class field trip that day. If I choose to follow them to work, same drill. I think every career could be made into an active one *including teen careers like lawn mowing, babysitting, etc.). If each new iteration of the game is supposed to break new ground I want it to do this then. I don't want my sims disappearing off screen anymore. Anyone agree?

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Well, some of your sims would still be disappearing off screen, cos you couldn't follow everyone to work/school at once.

In general, I like the idea.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    I like the idea of being able to go to work/school with your sim like in the GTW careers. It would be awesome if all careers, etc could have that ability. I also like it not being routine and the same thing every day. I think maybe having 3 to 5 goals (different each day) to accomplish each day would be great as well.

I think the rabbit hole should still be an option though for those simmers who may want to be able to fast forward through their work/school day.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Only if it's optional. I don't want to have to follow Sims to situations I don't care to in order to advance. For example, I like active careers, but have 0 interest in active schools. I don't want to have to follow a kid to school for them to get an A, or for it to be easier for them to get an A. I don't want to be penalized for not using the option if I don't want to, you know? But I like the idea in general.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I would like this but I agree it shouldn't be mandatory. Going to work/school actively should mostly be to help raise your performance faster then just sending them to a rabbithole, with only the careers having active requirements on some of their levels. Like it would make sense if in the business career in order for your sim to get promoted to (random level) they need to give a good presentation. You as the player could have tasks to make sure the presentation goes smoothly and your boss is in a good mood and can decide to play it safe and potentially not get promoted because you didn't wow your boss or go big and potentially fail so badly you lose performance.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Yes, I would like to see all active careers too. But I think you should also have a chance of advancement by doing what you need to advance at home in case you decide not to go in every day. I really enjoy the active careers.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Disagree. I'd be more than fine with rabbit hole careers, to be honest.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Disagree. Rabbit holes are just fine with me. Frankly, I have the active school mod and the charm of it wears off pretty quickly. And there are careers that would be a snore to follow (Business).
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I think the idea is interesting, but that the option to follow the sim or stay home should be open. The scientist career in TS4 is like that, and I enjoy being able to either follow my sim or allow them to gain experience while I play with another sim. I think following sims to school could be very boring, but I like the idea that you might be able to control them on field trips. I would also be worried about how hard the programming for every school/job location would be on a computer. Maybe this would be cool for a career oriented spinoff more than the new game in the series? It just seems like it would be too much power for a regular computer to handle.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, thought I was clear that it would of course be optional! As with everything in the game. I don't think the business career would be boring to follow (it's not exempt from office drama) no more than choosing to stay at home with another sim who'll sleep and play video games/clean the house is. Again, just having the option is nice.
  • Sims111Sims111 Posts: 21 Member
    I would love to be able to go to work with sims I wish you could choose to work at home as well though.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Another idea might be a spinoff that is essentially the opposite of the Sims - you control the employees at a work location, and they go home to a rabbit hole. (With the option to maybe hang out at some venue with your co-workers after work.) If you can control all the employees, you could do more interesting things in the workplace. (It wouldn't appeal to me - I don't want to do anyone else's job.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    Why not make it a toggle.
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • FreyaNyxFreyaNyx Posts: 1 New Member
    > @luxsylvan said:
    > Only if it's optional. I don't want to have to follow Sims to situations I don't care to in order to advance. For example, I like active careers, but have 0 interest in active schools. I don't want to have to follow a kid to school for them to get an A, or for it to be easier for them to get an A. I don't want to be penalized for not using the option if I don't want to, you know? But I like the idea in general.

I love that idea but if u wanna play the child that day u could or do it
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    only if its optional would be to much since I would not always went to follow my sims while they are working same if my sims have kids
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    Another idea might be a spinoff that is essentially the opposite of the Sims - you control the employees at a work location, and they go home to a rabbit hole. (With the option to maybe hang out at some venue with your co-workers after work.) If you can control all the employees, you could do more interesting things in the workplace. (It wouldn't appeal to me - I don't want to do anyone else's job.)

Well Sims 2 had some spin offs like this - the Stories. There was a Life Stories, Pet Stories, and Castaway Stories, all of which were slightly reduced versions of the Sims 2 (for weaker machines to process better) with a dedicated story mode you could follow to unlock a limited free play mode. They were ok, but essentially were the kind of spin off you're referring to.

Alternatively, the Sims 3 had Medieval, which IMO was one of the funnest spin offs of a game I've ever played. I liked the goofiness of it, I liked the Sims humor and aesthetic applied to a different era, and I liked how each different class of character had different goals and daily tasks (like the King/Queen had to execute criminals sometimes, or the Jacobian priests had to use fear tactics to goad their congregation into tithing, etc). I think this would make the most sense in a job spin off, as the different careers could mirror how each different kingdom individual has different goals and daily requirements.
  • SinilitySinility Posts: 31 Member
    I like the idea, and I agree it should be optional. Having an option to turn off joining school/careers that way we can toggle both on and off (individually) as we please, would be great. For school, it would be hard to follow multiple children/teens to school. I would not mind it was was scaled down where we could follow students for special occasions; field trips, science fairs, prom etc. I do not always want to follow my sims to work, especially if I am trying to meet goals within a challenge I am working on.

Overall, it is a fun idea!
  • SanuliiSanulii Posts: 14 New Member
    I like the idea too. There are many careers i would love to see sim doing and then there are others that i would hate to do. But as long as it would be optional, i would love to have this icluded in the game.
  • jaclynortizjaclynortiz Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="jooxis;d-953750"]This is what would help make the case for the fifth iteration of this franchise for me. No more rabbit holes/chance cards. If I choose to follow my sim to school that day I want to be there and I want new, unexpected stuff to happen there. Maybe a classmate picks a fight with them or another classmate embarrasses them in front of class. Maybe there's a class field trip that day. If I choose to follow them to work, same drill. I think every career could be made into an active one *including teen careers like lawn mowing, babysitting, etc.). If each new iteration of the game is supposed to break new ground I want it to do this then. I don't want my sims disappearing off screen anymore. Anyone agree?[/quote]

I want this too, but if you really think about this it would be highly unlikely for EA to do this. Let’s say the Sims 5 base game has an option for 10 careers - they would have to create interactive careers, different words, action choices, build mode items and aesthetic designs. And animations for each and every single one of them, including interactive items and build mode items. I don’t think it is realistic because of their budget and the time you have to put into this. A lot of employees would have to creating it for years. SimGuruGrant who is the senior producer stated on his twitter that he was distraught for the amount of work days initially announced it would take just for PETS to be created in TS4. He said it was estimated to be about 1300 work days to create pets and every single animation you do with them - it didn’t take 1300 work days, it was less but still. There is so many elements that come into play when it comes to programming, coding, and video game design that I think essentially it would be extremely hard for this to be a reality for a Sims game. And plus, if every career was interactive, you wouldn’t be able to control how your other sims in the household are doing at work, you would have to prioritize which Sims career you care about more and go to their work location to participate in the active career. I think they would spend YEARS doing this. If anything I think the Sims 5 will have more retail - like lots where you can have your own business like hotels, resorts, restaurants, other lots. I think that is more doable than creating every single base game career as interactive. It’s interesting to think about it though tbh so many possibilities, but thinking from a business standpoint, they have to pay and hire all the engineers, programmers, 3D video designers, and IT people SO much along with the rest of the team - i don’t think it is realistic for a nearby future game to be THAT interactive because of all the time and money it would take.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Why not make it a toggle.

toggle.gif

I'm all for more options!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I wouldn't mind rabbit hole at least we'll have it in the game but I also want activities at home to some what fill the void of that rabbit hole.
    jooxis wrote: »
    This is what would help make the case for the fifth iteration of this franchise for me. No more rabbit holes/chance cards. If I choose to follow my sim to school that day I want to be there and I want new, unexpected stuff to happen there. Maybe a classmate picks a fight with them or another classmate embarrasses them in front of class. Maybe there's a class field trip that day. If I choose to follow them to work, same drill. I think every career could be made into an active one *including teen careers like lawn mowing, babysitting, etc.). If each new iteration of the game is supposed to break new ground I want it to do this then. I don't want my sims disappearing off screen anymore. Anyone agree?

I want this too, but if you really think about this it would be highly unlikely for EA to do this. Let’s say the Sims 5 base game has an option for 10 careers - they would have to create interactive careers, different words, action choices, build mode items and aesthetic designs. And animations for each and every single one of them, including interactive items and build mode items. I don’t think it is realistic because of their budget and the time you have to put into this. A lot of employees would have to creating it for years. SimGuruGrant who is the senior producer stated on his twitter that he was distraught for the amount of work days initially announced it would take just for PETS to be created in TS4. He said it was estimated to be about 1300 work days to create pets and every single animation you do with them - it didn’t take 1300 work days, it was less but still. There is so many elements that come into play when it comes to programming, coding, and video game design that I think essentially it would be extremely hard for this to be a reality for a Sims game. And plus, if every career was interactive, you wouldn’t be able to control how your other sims in the household are doing at work, you would have to prioritize which Sims career you care about more and go to their work location to participate in the active career. I think they would spend YEARS doing this. If anything I think the Sims 5 will have more retail - like lots where you can have your own business like hotels, resorts, restaurants, other lots. I think that is more doable than creating every single base game career as interactive. It’s interesting to think about it though tbh so many possibilities, but thinking from a business standpoint, they have to pay and hire all the engineers, programmers, 3D video designers, and IT people SO much along with the rest of the team - i don’t think it is realistic for a nearby future game to be THAT interactive because of all the time and money it would take.

It would take more time initially, but it would make the game much more fun for me. I enjoy following my sims to a career much more than I do having them own a business, although I like to have the choice of owning a retail one, I only have one sim I use for a retail business so far. If we had to buy clothes and had a rack system I would certainly make more clothes businesses. The rest of the sims that own businesses are only there because I have to initially set up a business and add things as packs increase. I haven’t yet owned a restaurant or vet clinic. But if you could buy cats and dogs at a pet store, I might just own one of those. I enjoyed making pet stores in the sims 2 ( I believe it was 2). Anyway, I enjoy following sims to work, and would enjoy following them to school as well.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I want my Sims school to be like the one in Grease. Every now and then Sims burst into song singing 'Summer Lovin' or 'Grease Lightning'

Maybe have a cheeky road race through the storm drains, in an open world of course :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Interesting suggestion, but like others I want it to be optional. What I'd like is for all careers and education to have the "work from home" options from the CL careers and now Gardener from Seasons and Stylist from the GF patch. Instead of sitting in an office you'd have two or three tasks to fulfill before the next workday. I use mods that add the features to some of the base game careers; for painters maybe they have to paint a particular genre of artwork, or Discuss Color Theory with 3 Sims at the museum. That would be a more interesting game mechanic than the actual active careers, which I find way clunky especially for larger households. Now, if Sims 5 makes it easier to switch between Sims and if inactive Sims will continue to do directed activities while you're playing another Sim, then maybe the active school/career can work.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2019
    Active school for teens/kids is a must for me at the point. The rabbit hole nonsense should have been abandoned in sims 3. Time for truly immersive experiences .
    Interesting suggestion, but like others I want it to be optional. What I'd like is for all careers and education to have the "work from home" options from the CL careers and now Gardener from Seasons and Stylist from the GF patch. Instead of sitting in an office you'd have two or three tasks to fulfill before the next workday. I use mods that add the features to some of the base game careers; for painters maybe they have to paint a particular genre of artwork, or Discuss Color Theory with 3 Sims at the museum. That would be a more interesting game mechanic than the actual active careers, which I find way clunky especially for larger households. Now, if Sims 5 makes it easier to switch between Sims and if inactive Sims will continue to do directed activities while you're playing another Sim, then maybe the active school/career can work.
    I think it would have to be optional as you can only follow one sim at a time.