March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your loading screen :)

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Disabled
    When it first came out I was playing on a cheap eMachine so it only made my already long loading screens even longer. Now I have a gaming desktop but still, have it disabled because my sims don't need the extra lifetime points.

It is kinda cool though... Reminds me of the matching game either TS1 or TS2 had when you installed the game. I wonder if anyone out there knows what I'm talking about. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disabled
    My game loads pretty quickly with it enabled, however I don't like hidden object/spot the difference games.So there's no point in it, and I don't ever use LTR in the game, so I don't need the points.

However, when my game was runny slow and was getting "Lack of memory" messages, someone recommended turning the interactive screens off along with memories, and disabling online features.As when the game loads up, it uses more memory/resources.Tried that and haven't had an issue since.(And my computer meets the game's requirements, and has plenty of memory/ram)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Disabled
    I'm not concerned about a few seconds difference in startup time, or a minute or two even. But the interactive startup tends to cause the game to start out using more RAM than otherwise, which is why we do not recommend it. It may not be much in the overall scheme of things, I've seen increases of 200-300 MB. But no matter what kind of system we have, we all have a 32-bit imposed 4 GB limit on the game and getting to it faster has never been a goal of mine.

Besides, I wash my dishes while the game is starting up and I do not have a dishwasher. I've got the cleanest dishes in town now, though. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Disabled
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm not concerned about a few seconds difference in startup time, or a minute or two even. But the interactive startup tends to cause the game to start out using more RAM than otherwise, which is why we do not recommend it. It may not be much in the overall scheme of things, I've seen increases of 200-300 MB. But no matter what kind of system we have, we all have a 32-bit imposed 4 GB limit on the game and getting to it faster has never been a goal of mine.

Besides, I wash my dishes while the game is starting up and I do not have a dishwasher. I've got the cleanest dishes in town now, though. ;)

I only stated my computer had enough ram cause I know someone would come back and say "You're laptop probably doesn't have enough memory." It does, but we're all capped at 32, so it doesn't really matter anyways.XD And I thought I had seen someone mention the RAM issue before. :D
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,765 Member
    Disabled
    I've had it enabled before but it took a very long time to load so I disabled it. I do like getting happiness points from it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Disabled
    I never tested it, but I had a feeling in the past loading would take longer when I enabled it and that wait was really long anyway. Loading time is much shorter on my current computer so in that respect I guess I could enable it, but I just don’t find the searching game really fun (and to be honest that may have been my actual reason back then to disable it as well). So, I rather sit through the short wait doing nothing, shivering with anticipation :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Enabled
    enabled

Also have a new computer that I got for my birthday a couple of months ago. Just now getting to start a new game and I like the life time happiness points. :)
    :) Smile!

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    Disabled
    Like @igazor, I tend to do other tasks that need doing while the game is uploading. I don't bother with the interactive loading screen. When you have four cats vying for your attention (food), it takes a bit of the game load-time off when you have to feed them and not "die" in the process - with my balance problems and the cats' propensity to get underfoot at the worst possible times.

At some point when I have a decent computer and CPU that can handle this game properly (I'm currently on a A10-7800 CPU/APU), maybe I'll consider having the interactive loading screens back on.

Right now, I have them off.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Enabled
    Cool that you timed it @Stormkeep :smiley:
    Quite insightful.

However I think it depends on how old someone's computer is. My 10 year old one took darn near 5 minutes to load! :scream: And that was without the Interactive Loading Screen. And as I said before the ILS couldn't even function on there...and one time it crashed my game on that poor, old computer. :pensive: Bless it's heart...
    Stormkeep wrote: »

I think if I wanted the game to load faster, the real time saver would be getting rid of all the CC and store content I use. Not going to happen!

^There ya go! :lol:
    (I'm not about to get rid of any of my precious CC either. ;) )

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Igazor :blush:

Why Hello there @MN! :p:p:p Nice to see you pop in and share your thoughts. :smirk:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disabled
    SimplyJen wrote: »

It is kinda cool though... Reminds me of the matching game either TS1 or TS2 had when you installed the game. I wonder if anyone out there knows what I'm talking about. :D

XS5LK.gif?noredirect
    I remember playing those games all the time! Was disappointed that Sims 3 didn't have that matching game when I first installed it back in ye olde days of yore in 2009.

Also to stay on topic, disabled. Definitely. Not worth the longer loading time. And if I'm desperate enough to want any lifetime rewards stuff, I just cheat :p
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Disabled
    I've almost always had it off on the advice that it slows load times if its enabled. Whether it actually does or not I don't know. I've never compared with and without myself.

I usually do other stuff while my game loads anyway. I don't really need the interactive loading screen.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disabled
    I used it the first time, and then never again. It freezes, increased my load times, and was just generally a pointless exercise for me. I usually minimise my game while it's loading anyway, and continue reading the forums or something.

I use the same mod as @coco , and have my load screens set for Late Night.

Edit - @SimplyJen , I LOVE that game you can play while installing. I admit to reinstalling my game in the past more often than needed, on some flimsy excuse, just so I can play it ! :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disabled
    Oh, yes, I have that mod as well (Late Night’s my loading screen atm), so there’s another argument for me. I like those old loading screens :mrgreen: I do cherish and use the lifetime points, but I get enough while playing. I like granting some of their wishes and I also like those points not increasing too easily.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Disabled
    For me, it depends. Sometimes I'll have the interactive load screens on. Other times I have it disabled. It's disabled currently, but I have it on about half the time.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Disabled
    I could've had that enabled though I prefer to disable it because my games load too fast for that ILS to be of any use to me even with the load of Mods and CC I got installed in my games.I would choose to disable that rather than remove my Mods and CC to spped loading up if I had to choose one option to speed the loading of my game up.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Disabled
    @Stormkeep It only takes 2 minutes for your game to load????? Mine takes over an hour.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    Enabled
    @Stormkeep It only takes 2 minutes for your game to load????? Mine takes over an hour.

Hardware is going to make a huge difference on loading speeds. Most people think in terms of CPU, memory, etc. for this, which obviously does matter, but also the speed of the hard drive in question. I have a very high end PC and the game is saving to a decent Hard Drive. My save games are NOT on my SSD drive though, so I imagine people who are using an SSD for their saves and have a good PC have it load even faster then I do.

My game itself loads up in less than a minute, it is on an SSD. It's loading a save file that takes a few more minutes.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    Disabled
    I leave it disabled most of the time. Mainly because it freezes here and there and makes me think I forgot something and it's annoying when that happens; which is pretty much every picture and for more than a second or two. So, not worth the bit of stress for the bit of points. :)
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Disabled
    emorrill wrote: »
    It's time for another silly poll because I'm curious. :p

Do you have the Interactive Loading Screen enabled to play around on when your game loads up or do you have it disabled?

Feel free to explain your responses below. :) I'll explain mine.

Because my game takes a couple minutes to load until the last little bit.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Disabled
    I had it enabled in the beginning of playing the game but don't really remember how that looks now having had it disabled for a long time. It's quite easy getting life time points in game and the tips appeal to me more. I disabled because I always follow good advise (RAM-usage). The longest loading times for any long running game have been around 15 minutes and that was probably when I tired of it and searched for a solution. My game now is not nearly as long running as some of yours seem to be, and takes around a minute to load (on a SSD).
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Disabled
    I’m a bit of enabled and disabled but disabled definitely wins out most of the time.

I like the extra LTH points but often they are pointless because they end up going to a throw away game I started to work something out and then never save.

Occasionally the screens just hang and that frustrates me.

Mostly in the mornings I turn on the computer and then go and make coffee. Then I return and launch the game and wait impatiently for the game to get to the point where I can alt tab it to the background to read my emails and do other things before I get around to loading a save. Often I never get to the point of loading a save and just end up working on other things all day. If I have those loading screens enabled and I am in a hurry I get Really frustrated.

• LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    Disabled
    The interactive loading screens make the game take too long to load. I usually let the game load and go do something else for a little bit like get something to eat. I also play in Windowed Mode and like to do other stuff online while I wait sometimes.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Disabled
    igazor wrote: »

Considering what you are saying about memory used, I assume the Dreaded Error 12 might be seen more often in games played when these loading screens are enabled.

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Enabled
    @Karritz Hmm, no. Or not the case in my experience since enabling it. I've had less error code 12's and crashing though I doubt that has anything to do with it and guess it helped using Kuree's Save Cleaner. Unfortunately, ever since then my game has been lagging and stuttering noticeably when it wasn't before. However, because I haven't reset the whole town in awhile it's possible a few broken objects, etc could be the culprit.

Also, I was surprised when I timed the game's loading time it was around 6:35 with interactive loading screens (without participating) compared to 9 minutes+. Again, I doubt that has anything to do with that though 9+ minutes was after using Kuree's Save Cleaner. Anyway, reading the disclaimer it says enabling interactive loading screens "may" cause longer load times. As others already mentioned, it depends on your computer. I would guess the same for memory usage and also how the operating system handles it as to whether one may or may not have issues.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Disabled
    I found the game a little too easy so when I learned it will help performance if it was disabled I turned it off, though I haven't really noticed a change.