Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is a first for me!

While inventing, not only did Annie got scorched, she also set her inventing bench on fire! She's brave, so she got busy putting out the fire right away. Her husband, Spencer, wasn't much help. He came in to freak out at the fire, and in the process, broke the TV when he turned it off.

QsR2AQk.jpg

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

@IreneSwift I have had many of my sims scorched, but I have never had the table get on fire. was the table usable after or did you have to get a new one.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Yeah, it's the table catching on fire that I've never seen before, and didn't know it even could happen. But it wasn't damaged. She was able to start inventing again as soon as she put out the fire and showered.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I always make sure to have a shower nearby because of this. :p It used to happen a lot for me so I eventually tuned it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Eh, it happens more often if your sim doesn't have the right traits and has low skill. Science skill also seems to lower the chance to set yourself on fire.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Reminds me of when my oven broke recently. It would not turn off with the controls. Hubby was freaking out sims style until I told him to flip the big red switch on the wall :D:D Your scenario just demonstrates how we all respond differently to a crisis. I hope all is well with your sims and that some of the advice on offer helps prevent it from happening again :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    My response to a house fire if it's big enough or I don't know exactly where it is... is to Get Out NOW! Yesterday if possible! Not wearing pants? Tough, if you can grab a pair on the way out put them on once outside! -20 below zero and in the bathtub? Tough luck, GET OUT NOW!

But then again I've actually been through a house fire started by one of the kids in the downstairs apartment. I was in the bathtub at the time, and it was 20 below with a foot of snow on the ground. I was out the door wearing nothing but a pair of underwear, a bath robe which I was still tying shut, and my sister's bunny slippers. All of which were damp or sopping wet because I'd been taking a bath when informed of the fire. In such a state I was out the door, down the stairs, and across the street. Thankfully a neighbor let us into his home while Mom called the fire department and we all warmed up.

The mother of the kid who started the fire? she took her brood next door and called a friend. Not 911.

I'd like to think I'd grab a fire extinguisher and try to put out a kitchen fire myself. But to be honest if it's too big to be contained by covering it with a glass lid or dumping flour on it (aka still in the pan and just starting out), I'd likely be out the door and across the street calling 911. Some of my sims are far braver then I am when it comes to a house fire.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    It reminds me of the time when my dining table randomly combusted(I'm serious, my sims were eating a meal that sends the steam out of their ears and I guess the steam was so hot, it set the table on fire.XD)
    Well, meals made with fire peppers are a fire hazard (as well as self immolation hazard).
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Yup! This happened to me too - and my sim wasn't fast enough, and I guess didn't have the right traits for dealing with fires - and died! And it was a legacy challenge :lol:
    I was so surprised - but loved the drama that added to my story line.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I recently had a similar happening, my sim got scorched but the ground beside her lit up in flames. I thought it might have been a glitch, but maybe not!
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I've had a few sim fires that got out of control to where my sims couldn't put it out, so I got everyone out as quickly as possible. They lost a lot of stuff, but that's all easily replaceable.

When I worked in Assisted Living, we did fire drills probably once a month where we had to get residents outside. Many of them didn't want to budge until they had a shower, got dressed, had their hair done, etc. I had to be firm and let them know that if this was a real fire, they would have burned up by now and that the point is to get out as quickly and safely as possible. Some of them tried to argue with me that it was indecent to be outside in their pajamas and I pointed out that their lives are more important than modesty.
    LunBeauty wrote: »
    and I pointed out that their lives are more important than modesty.

This is a fact that more people need to take to heart and internalize. When the building is on fire you Do Not Have Time to do any in depth preparations before leaving. Heck, you may not have time to pull on a pair of pants. You get out, and you get out NOW. Anything else doesn't matter.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    LunBeauty wrote: »
    and I pointed out that their lives are more important than modesty.

This is a fact that more people need to take to heart and internalize. When the building is on fire you Do Not Have Time to do any in depth preparations before leaving. Heck, you may not have time to pull on a pair of pants. You get out, and you get out NOW. Anything else doesn't matter.

Exactly! Material things can be replaced easily, your life, however, cannot. You only get one of those. When I lost my house in a fire a few years ago, I lost so much. Clothes, nearly all of my books, games, etc. But I was able to buy all those back. Sometimes it doesn't help to be fussy when your life is in danger.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have never had a sim die in a fire. I used to get the fireproof homestead LTR as soon as possible, to prevent fires. But once I realized my sims were not likely to burn up in a fire, since I can make them put it out, I don't get it anymore. It makes things interesting now and then.
    It reminds me of the time when my dining table randomly combusted(I'm serious, my sims were eating a meal that sends the steam out of their ears and I guess the steam was so hot, it set the table on fire.XD)

I've had sims start fires with the flames coming out of their mouth after eating food with ghost chilis, but not often.
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Eh, it happens more often if your sim doesn't have the right traits and has low skill. Science skill also seems to lower the chance to set yourself on fire.

My sim has the eccentric trait, which is specific to inventing, and was at level 7 in inventing. She also has level 10 in science. So it was unexpected for more reasons than just never having seen it before. But her husband burned food in the pizza oven, with level 7 or 8 in cooking skill, and I've never seen a sim burn food at that high of a skill level. He has the lucky trait too, which doesn't seem to do him much good sometimes.

My daughter and her first husband had a house fire in the middle of the night, years ago. Thankfully, her husband was restless that night and couldn't sleep. When they heard glass shattering from the heat, they went to check it out. They were able to get their dog and cats out. They lost a lot of irreplaceable keepsakes though, because the room where the fire started was where those things were stored. It was arson. They were very sure it was started by the 12-year-old hoodlum next door, who my son-in-law had yelled at for vandalizing their property (again) that very day, but the police wouldn't take them seriously. When you live in a not so good part of town and don't have a lot of money, they don't really care about you, at least not in the town where they lived.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've had a lot of combustive incidents in my Sims games, whether it's been the invention table setting one of my sims on fire, or chilis setting the whole kitchen on fire or meteors setting the whole property on fire. Lots of fun.

At one point in our (@Featherbelle's and mine) life, we were living out of a motel (it was all we could afford at the time). Some other tenant in the building went to sleep with the oven going. Next thing you know...their suite was ablaze. All of us were able to get out, thank goodness, but the potential was there for all of us to go up in flames.
    DSC_0003.JPG
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Wow, so many fire stories. I once started a fire on my oven and in the microwave, I smashed them out with a pan! I looked like a crazy mad woman but it worked. These were small fires and I was beside when they started, but I'm glad of my reflexes. I'm so afraid of a real fire!
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...